Guilty Gear Strive

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just putting this up for those that want to talk about it or all things GG. I will get this and I do know it plays a lot differently from Xrd/Rev2. It's fine by me as I did not play Rev2 that much, but I will try and play more later just to get familiar with everyone's backstory. The visuals are still hype as fuck.

UPDATE: Website is up and running.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's the best design Axl has ever had.

Not sure I'm into what they've done with Faust. I miss his goofiness.

Most importantly where's my Jack-O?

Other than that, can't really give my opinion as I haven't touched any of the systems. I'll probably get it just on the art style and aesthetic alone, but I may wait for the inevitable second or third release.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I...have very mixed feelings about this game so far.

I'm actually a Guilty Gear fan and I love its heavy metal themes as well as its characters. This game does look good on paper, keeping up with XRD's success. But I honestly don't like how it looks in motion. Idk why but I can't tell what's really going on that its just visual...stuff going on. I also feel like the designs are kind of hit or miss; I'm not fond of Chipp's new muscle mass and weird collar shirt thing. The roster is while having staples of the series is still very small compared to the rest and none of my favorite characters aren't there...yet anyways.

So far its just my personal gripes to be honest. I don't think the game will suck or fail and its great to know that ArcSys is also listening to its audience. I'm sure it will be another one of ArcSys' greats. I just don't know if its going to be for me or not.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At least it's a less awkward name than Xrd. I mean, what was that deal?
The GG series always had this problem.

• Guilty Gear: The Missing Link (1998, PSX) (2018, Nintendo Switch)
  • Guilty Gear X: By Your Side (2000, Dreamcast/PS2)
  • Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival(2002, PS2)
    • Guilty Gear XX #Reload (2003, PS2/Xbox)
    • Guilty Gear XX Slash (2005, PS2)
    • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (2006, PS2/Wii)
    • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (2009, PS2/Wii/PSP)
    • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R (2012, Xbox 360 XBLA/PS3 PSN) (2018, Nintendo Switch)
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (2014, PS3/PS4/Steam)
    • Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- (2015, PS3/PS4/Steam)
    • Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2 (2017, PS3/PS4/Steam)
  • Guilty Gear -STRIVE- (2021, PS4/PS5/Steam)note
They couldn't go with XXX; that would raise a lot of eyebrows. Along with 3 Xs being done to death. As weird as it is, at least Xrd stands out.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I posted a long thing about this when the Beta was up, long story short, mixed feelings, issues with gameplay direction, art style is somehow even better than Xrd which is nuts, love the music too. Anyhow, if you wanna see how it plays so far and not just gimpy little trailers, here's an hour of me learning the ins and outs with Chipp. You will clearly see me get better as the video goes on haha.

Key thing to remember is that this game coming out doesn't erase Rev 2 from existence, and as someone who still plays Accent Core +R from time to time since my main never made it to Xrd (Order Sol) I will definitely keep on Rev 2 as well as pick up strive.

That's the best design Axl has ever had.

Not sure I'm into what they've done with Faust. I miss his goofiness.

Most importantly where's my Jack-O?

Other than that, can't really give my opinion as I haven't touched any of the systems. I'll probably get it just on the art style and aesthetic alone, but I may wait for the inevitable second or third release.

Axl feels VERY different now, he is more zonery and less gimmicky, gone is the dp and then ublockable stance but he has a full screen command grab that comes from behind (from off-screen) and a bunch of leaping his that create space but have blind spots close up.

As for Faust, he's kinda like a horror themed character now with the wackiness being replaced by creepyness. His items are still bonkers though.

You can see me fight both of those in the above vid, got a bunch of vs Axl matches as it goes on.

Jack-O prolly doesn't exist since Aria got back her soul, but you could prolly get Aria playable.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

She's looking fun. Looks like a combination of Blue Mary and Vanessa if given a wolf stand.

Here is the announcement trailer.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

She's looking fun. Looks like a combination of Blue Mary and Vanessa if given a wold stand.
Oh neat, her design is cool. Looks like I have someone new to main after Elphelt.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The hypest thing here is that they have ANJI in the trailer too. We've been waiting for him for like 7 years!

Wolf girl looks cool (apparently she's Gabriel's bodyguard) and I like the tae kwon do inspired moves she has.

Here's the full stream btw, they have tons of matches uploaded with some pros playing their mains like Nage Faust.

(gotta go forward a bit since it takes a while to begin)

Go1 was using Nagoriyuki and you can see his blood gauge in action. Also Faust's prostate exam super is replaced by a wheelchair super. The humanity!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Not sure if this analysis for the new char was posted anywhere else by somebody else already but here goes:

So Nagoriyuki's mechanics are a mix of Sin's and Robo Ky/Amane's. He has this bloodthirst gauge, his special attacks use blood which increase his thirst gauge and he can cancel special moves into eachother like Sin which increases the gauge further. When the gauge is 1/3 or 2/3s full his special moves get powered up (not sure specifically how, it could be more damage, better frame data, added properties like invuln and so on) but if you fill his bloodthirst all the way he goes on a rampage which while they didn't specify what it does, is definitely very bad, like Sin starving or Amane's drills burning out or Robo Ky exploding from overheat. Nagori also can reduce his bloodthirst by landing hits (both on block and on hit) with his sword, which absorbs blood.

So the idea with the char is that you wanna manage his thirst levels where he's juuuust below going on a rampage, but thirsty enough to have access to his enhanced attacks. This also means that if you land hits off of long blockstrings his attacks will have gotten weak from all the blood he absorbed, so blockstrings that incorporate special moves canceled into eachother in a safe way is the way to go to keep him thirsty.

Also, he has no airdash, no double jump, and his ground movement is not a run type but rather a teleport type like Slayer or Azrael.

If these trailers get any shorter they're going to be 1 1/2 minutes of corporate logos and three frames of actual gameplay.
The new chars are very much work in progress. They didn't even have voices for them if you saw the stream. They had only just recorded the one voice clip they played in the stream for Giovanna like 2 days ago according to May's seiyuu who was also present in the studio at the time.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I like that the trailer is showing us a tiny glimpse of the dragon install startup. Just to tease us enough but not actually show it in action XD. Hopefully the upcoming beta has it incorporated.

(not sure if mentioned here, outsider of the stream link I posted that I dunno how many people watched through all the way since nobody commented about it, but there's gonna be an upcoming open beta for this game early next year for ps4, so if you wanna try this game for a couple of days and see how it feels for free, that's your chance!)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Apparently they're beta testing GGPO for the pc version of GG:AC+R near the end of the month. Worth checking out if you're a fan of the classics!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Max has several points.

As for me, my three mains are going to be Ramlethal, Giovanni, and Nagoriyuki.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

Max has several points.

As for me, my three mains are going to be Ramlethal, Giovanni, and Nagoriyuki.

I think Max doesn't really get what the tower thing is. It's basically the old color square system that he specifically said wasn't in past GGs when it actually was, it was just a color arrow/equal symbol and not a square.

As you can see here, there's the up arrow (someone higher thank you) the down arrow (someone lower than you) and the equal symbol (someone equal to you) and the arrows are also differently colored like the squares. So it both ranked you by color but also WITHIN the same color since you can have someone who is pink (highest color) be either equal or above or below you.

Other than the visual depiction the mechanics were the same; if you have a win streak up rank up, if you have a loss streak you rank down, and you can only rank up off of same or higher colors/floors so you are encouraged to not pick off weaklings to boost your color.

A cool thing he I guess failed to figure out during the beta was that you could choose to go to a higher level of the tower, you just couldn't go to lower ones, so it's not gatekeeping, it's just letting noobs play in peace without having to worry about good players destroying them, but if you feel up to par you can just hit that top floor on day 1. I did that in the beta and it was great.

Ramlethal is very different in this but she's my fav female char in Xrd so she's a sure-in for me as well, but I dunno who my main will actually be. There's no Sin any more most likely and I doubt the final char will be Order Sol so I'll have to test more chars to find my main.

Or I'll just use Chipp like in the beta cause he actually had K gatlings like a proper GG char lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think Max doesn't really get what the tower thing is. It's basically the old color square system that he specifically said wasn't in past GGs when it actually was, it was just a color arrow/equal symbol and not a square.
Good to know.

To elaborate, I was more so talking about the actual different skill levels of players. Mainly those points.

As you can see here, there's the up arrow (someone higher thank you) the down arrow (someone lower than you) and the equal symbol (someone equal to you) and the arrows are also differently colored like the squares. So it both ranked you by color but also WITHIN the same color since you can have someone who is pink (highest color) be either equal or above or below you.
How did Max not know or notice that? I've seen him and the crew miss obvious details in games before, and not just in fighting games, but this is getting silly now. Love the guy, but he really needs to pay more attention

A cool thing he I guess failed to figure out during the beta was that you could choose to go to a higher level of the tower, you just couldn't go to lower ones, so it's not gatekeeping, it's just letting noobs play in peace without having to worry about good players destroying them, but if you feel up to par you can just hit that top floor on day 1. I did that in the beta and it was great.
How did he miss that too?

Thanks for the info.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Good to know.

To elaborate, I was more so talking about the actual different skill levels of players. Mainly those points.

How did Max not know or notice that? I've seen him and the crew miss obvious details in games before, and not just in fighting games, but this is getting silly now. Love the guy, but he really needs to pay more attention

How did he miss that too?

Thanks for the info.

I just think he never really properly played the game. He just kinda gave it lipservice to not lose face and credibility because the broader community holds it in high esteem. He never really cared to learn all this stuff. He just kinda is in a position to seem authoritative due to his popularity so people confuse him for someone who actually cares or knows things when he certainly doesn't when it comes to airdashers or anime games.

But yeah I mean, it's still publicity so I'll take what I can get. If someone discovers GG through Max that's just fine and dandy. I just have to snipe his comments and provide corrections or more information when applicable XD.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Accent core +R is just 3 bucks on steam and the GGPO beta is up and running. The game runs INCREDIBLY well. I forgot my laptop was on wifi and I didn't notice it at all when playing cause there was no lag or skipping, I just noticed the icon on my laptop eventually.

Only 2 days left but if anyone is up for some matches we could organize em from here. I use Order Sol mainly, can dabble with Slayer too.