AC Valhalla "gameplay" trailer....

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So Ubisoft just released a new trailer for the upcoming game. Notice that I put quotation mark on the word "gameplay"? Well, see the trailer for yourself

For a trailer that is supposed to showcase gameplay, it looks more like cinematics. I can only guess there are three explanation for this;

1. They meant cinematic but somehow used the word gameplay instead
2. The trailer says this was captured on Xbox Series X, so the in-game graphics look as good as the cinematic level
3. A blatant clickbait

I find reason #2 to be the least likely case and #3 the most likely. It's been a long time since I've seen gameplay clickbait like this. I mean, there were trailers showcasing in-game microtransaction (see NBA 2k20 myteam trailer), trailers that looked better than the final product (any Ubisoft games), and trailers that were straight-up cringy or insulting (mighty no. 9), but I have NEVER seen video title be a clickbait to the content of a video itself.

Ubisoft, is this some sort of a new trend you are trying to start?

EDIT: IGN also posted the video under the same name, but they were smart enough to quickly change the title to "game engine". Ubisoft still has it as "gameplay" on their official channel

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
We'll never know. If it were a mixup and they took the video down only to reupload it again with "gameplay" gone from the title that would be admitting how meaningless "cinematic" trailers are. I don't believe for a second that the graphics here will look as good as actual gameplay so #2 is also out. So either they're *that* cynical to post clickbait or it was an honest mixup but won't address it either.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
If this is a gameplay trailer, I guess Valhalla is going to be a movie-game now

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now the drag is off topic, but Ubisoft has registered a domain for Prince of Persia 6. That said, I'm still not interested in the latest Assassin's Creed. Who is this franchise even for at this point?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Now the drag is off topic, but Ubisoft has registered a domain for Prince of Persia 6. That said, I'm still not interested in the latest Assassin's Creed. Who is this franchise even for at this point?
I'm a History Buff and the opportunity to roam around in historical "Simulations" is what keeps pulling me back. And the games are sometimes fun to boot, except when they're a blast like Pirate Eddies Pirate Ride....yeah, I lost the train on that one.Fuck, I stuck around for Odyssey mostly because I really dug exploring the Ancient Aegean and Egypt in Origins was a joy for me.

That being said, the trailer looked like it was using in-engine footage but it was cut so heavily there's not much to be said beyond that. Other then that the Vikings apparently liked the pimp out their hidden blades.

And I really wouldn't mind a new PoP game either.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Odyssey was the only AC game I ever finished. I like the new direction they've taken the series as I thought the original 4 games were bland action games with stupid plot. At least odyssey had an interesting world and RPG elements in addition to a bland stupid plot. That's enough for me.

If Vallhalla does the same stuff, I'll probably play and probably enjoy it. Nothing to get hyped over, but it'll most likely be an okay game.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Well, I am intrigued by the appearance of Stonehenge at 0:42, at least. My local(ish) area in a video game? I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
For people who like history. Its just about the only non strategy series that lets you explore historical settings and not just the obvious ones either. Ptolemaic Egypt or even antiquity as a whole, how many other games use those settings?

And while hardly one of the greatest series of all time I'd say the series has at least been consistently serviceable.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm a History Buff and the opportunity to roam around in historical "Simulations" is what keeps pulling me back. And the games are sometimes fun to boot, except when they're a blast like Pirate Eddies Pirate Ride....yeah, I lost the train on that one.Fuck, I stuck around for Odyssey mostly because I really dug exploring the Ancient Aegean and Egypt in Origins was a joy for me.

That being said, the trailer looked like it was using in-engine footage but it was cut so heavily there's not much to be said beyond that. Other then that the Vikings apparently liked the pimp out their hidden blades.

And I really wouldn't mind a new PoP game either

You, I am very well of. I've seen many of your post before when it comes to AC. I would not mind a new Prince of Persia, but for the love of God, don't make it another open world game. It can either be semi-open world, or a chapter bass linear game.

For people who like history. Its just about the only non strategy series that lets you explore historical settings and not just the obvious ones either. Ptolemaic Egypt or even antiquity as a whole, how many other games use those settings?

And while hardly one of the greatest series of all time I'd say the series has at least been consistently serviceable.
That's the problem; I just wish the settings were in better games or games not called Assassin's Creed. My problem with the series as a whole, is that they're all just average and bland aside from period settings. They put them out without much thought, or rhyme or reason, other than" hey, it's another Assassin's Creed".

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Odyssey was the only AC game I ever finished. I like the new direction they've taken the series as I thought the original 4 games were bland action games with stupid plot. At least odyssey had an interesting world and RPG elements in addition to a bland stupid plot. That's enough for me.

If Vallhalla does the same stuff, I'll probably play and probably enjoy it. Nothing to get hyped over, but it'll most likely be an okay game.
I am sure we should all wait for the gameplay before deciding to open up our wallets. The issue here is that they used the word "gameplay" when clearly none was shown

Well, I am intrigued by the appearance of Stonehenge at 0:42, at least. My local(ish) area in a video game? I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
I feel that's one thing that AC series has excelled at; Recreation of historic landmarks during the set time period. As much as Unity failed during launch, one thing it got right was the atmosphere and the environment during the French revolution

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

Just put in Assassin or Templar in place of Rob Schnieder, and this is exactly what I hear with any Asscreed game trailer anymore.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You, I am very well of. I've seen many of your post before when it comes to AC. I would not mind a new Prince of Persia, but for the love of God, don't make it another open world game. It can either be semi-open world, or a chapter bass linear game.

That's the problem; I just wish the settings were in better games or games not called Assassin's Creed. My problem with the series as a whole, is that they're all just average and bland aside from period settings. They put them out without much thought, or rhyme or reason, other than" hey, it's another Assassin's Creed".
Oh, I would very much love Ubisoft to get off the Open-World everything train they've been on for years now. AC is the only one of their series I'm willing to stick with because of the history angle but oh my god I want Prince of Persia to avoid that trap.

And if some other series were go in on History like AC does, I'd gladly make that my history mainstay. It's just that nobody else is really doing that.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nothing new. Just more big publisher bs tactics to generate hype, because they know their actual gameplay footage will never look as good.

What I'm wondering mostly is why this deceptive practice hasn't been considered a violation of some variant of business ethics laws by now.