New York Post editor calls out Twitter for refusing to let his publication post one of their stories

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

The story in question

Hunter Biden introduced his father, then-Vice President Joe Biden, to a top executive at a Ukrainian energy firm less than a year before the elder Biden pressured government officials in Ukraine into firing a prosecutor who was investigating the company, according to emails obtained by The Post.
The never-before-revealed meeting is mentioned in a message of appreciation that Vadym Pozharskyi, an adviser to the board of Burisma, allegedly sent Hunter Biden on April 17, 2015, about a year after Hunter joined the Burisma board at a reported salary of up to $50,000 a month.

The blockbuster correspondence — which flies in the face of Joe Biden’s claim that he’s “never spoken to my son about his overseas business dealings” — is contained in a massive trove of data recovered from a laptop computer.
Steve Bannon, former adviser to President Trump, told The Post about the existence of the hard drive in late September and Giuliani provided The Post with a copy of it on Sunday.

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
This is a horrendous decision by Twitter and they should immediately reverse it, for many reasons. But probably the biggest reason is the "hacked materials" policy would prohibit stories like the Snowden revelations and Panama Papers, and news outlets shouldn't be banned or censored because they write about the information produced by such activity.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
"They're a private company, they can do what they want, free speech only applies to the government"
Anyone?
No?

Oh, we only trot out that argument when it's about speech we disagree with?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
"They're a private company, they can do what they want, free speech only applies to the government"
Anyone?
No?

Oh, we only trot out that argument when it's about speech we disagree with?
So far as I know, most everyone who would say that sort of thing disagrees with the speech that is being suppressed in this case..?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So far as I know, most everyone who would say that sort of thing disagrees with the speech that is being suppressed in this case..?
You're right!
Well then I await the argument to be trotted out.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This is a horrendous decision by Twitter and they should immediately reverse it, for many reasons. But probably the biggest reason is the "hacked materials" policy would prohibit stories like the Snowden revelations and Panama Papers, and news outlets shouldn't be banned or censored because they write about the information produced by such activity.

This happened to Trump and not many batted an eye

Reactions: MrCalavera

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
No, removing tweets
Okay but...Trump retweeted an unfounded conspiracy theory about Obama and Biden intentionally killing Seal Team Six and faking the Bin Laden kill. I'm okay with Twitter exercising a little control over what is obviously bullshit.

What I'm not okay with, on any level, is Twitter trying to haphazardly apply 1) a poorly thought-out policy prohibiting articles that discuss hacked information, which will be impossible to apply fairly and will undoubtedly be abused by governments any time there's a leak of confidential or classified materials (and that's just for starters); and 2) and editorial judgment policy about the trustworthiness of said articles based on...I'm not even sure, to be honest. And while I think the NY Post is a rag and this so-called scoop is EXTREMLY questionable, I'm fine letting the public decide whether they want to invest in the report or dismiss. I don't know Jack fucking Dorsey playing the role of armchair editor, thanks.

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
Update:

The Whitehouse Press secretary has had her account locked by twitter too now

They're all going to do this as a form of protest. And honestly, good for them -- it's an effective way to show how stupid Twitter's move is. I don't need every right-wing pundit nailing themselves to a fucking cross while screaming "election interference by big tech!" like the clowns at the Federalist, but everyone in the Trump administration should Tweet away and push back on this because it's fucking ridiculous. And liberals and Biden supporters should too because I guarantee you there will come a time soon when the shoe is on the other foot.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Okay but...Trump retweeted an unfounded conspiracy theory about Obama and Biden intentionally killing Seal Team Six and faking the Bin Laden kill. I'm okay with Twitter exercising a little control over what is obviously bullshit.

What I'm not okay with, on any level, is Twitter trying to haphazardly apply 1) a poorly thought-out policy prohibiting articles that discuss hacked information, which will be impossible to apply fairly and will undoubtedly be abused by governments any time there's a leak of confidential or classified materials (and that's just for starters); and 2) and editorial judgment policy about the trustworthiness of said articles based on...I'm not even sure, to be honest. And while I think the NY Post is a rag and this so-called scoop is EXTREMLY questionable, I'm fine letting the public decide whether they want to invest in the report or dismiss. I don't know Jack fucking Dorsey playing the role of armchair editor, thanks.

What do you think was going to happen once Trump tweets were removed? This was going to happen. Twitter just claimed this as conspiratorial. You should have been calling them out back then

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
What do you think was going to happen once Trump tweets were removed? This was going to happen. Twitter just claimed this as conspiratorial. You should have been calling them out back then

What I'm not okay with, on any level, is Twitter
THEY'RE A PRIVATE COMPANY THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT, FREE SPEECH ONLY APPLIES TO THE GOVERNMENT, NOT FREEDOM FROM CONSEQUENCES, THEY DON'T HAVE TO GIVE YOU A PLATFORM, THEY'RE JUST SHOWING YOU THE DOOR, THEY CAN MAKE THEIR OWN SOCIAL MEDIA.

Nailed it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

THEY'RE A PRIVATE COMPANY THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT, FREE SPEECH ONLY APPLIES TO THE GOVERNMENT, NOT FREEDOM FROM CONSEQUENCES, THEY DON'T HAVE TO GIVE YOU A PLATFORM, THEY'RE JUST SHOWING YOU THE DOOR, THEY CAN MAKE THEIR OWN SOCIAL MEDIA.

Nailed it.
Hey. Remember when you wanted speech cancelled because you didn’t like it. You loved how the government got involved and was asking for them to win.

It was yesterday. Don’t pretend you are for Free Speech.

First, they came for Cuties...

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Hey. Remember when you wanted speech cancelled because you didn’t like it. You loved how the government got involved and was asking for them to win.
Quote me saying or implying any of this.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

It was yesterday. Don’t pretend you are for Free Speech.

First, they came for Cuties...
And yet even Netflix while using free speech as a defence tried to suppress protected criticism of Cuties.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Quote me saying or implying any of this.
Weren’t you trying to get everyone to draw a line about what was acceptable outfits for girls to wear on TV. (And real life. ) Because I remember that going on for a few pages. And you praising me for picking pasties. Free Speech means everything is acceptable. If you’re going in to the conversation with ‘Free Speech but...’ you’re not for Free Speech.
And yet even Netflix while using free speech as a defence tried to suppress protected criticism of Cuties.
I mean, I think this was only the old version of this site but I’ve definitely said Free Speech has been weaponised for a long time and has nothing to do with free speech. It usually gets shouted mostly by those who don’t have any intention of letting you have free speech

Everyone does it. Trump, media, critics. I don’t trust anyone who uses the term Free Speech
Edit: I’ll reword the last sentence. I don’t trust the first person who brings up Free Speech in a conversation. Others might be responding