Sony Reveals PS5 UI

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I like it. It's familiar yet different enough to feel new. Frankly i thought the Ps4 UI was fantastic and the PS5 just seems to expand upon it, which is fine by me.

Also it appears that you'll be able to "suspend" multiple games at the same time allowing more freedom to hop from game to game which is cool. Especially if you are like me and play a game like Path of Exile inbetween jumping into games from a disc. All in all I don't think it is a super exciting or useful feature in the long run, but it's niffty that it's there.

I also see a lot of people on Twitter trying to downplay PS5 and hype the Xbox. For example The Xbox X will apparently save your suspended games even if the power goes out for a while, which I guess is neat, but I don't know how big a problem power outages are for people. Maybe for people who live in stormy areas that have a higher risk of blackouts maybe, but even then it's not that hard to save more often and at worse you lose 10-15 minutes tops of progress. I don't think it's an Xbox feature to make it a deciding factor, though it's cool enough I suppose.

What do you guys think of the UI?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It looks quite clean, uncluttered and tidy, which is all I really want in a UI. I like it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It looks quite clean, uncluttered and tidy, which is all I really want in a UI. I like it.

They have released the Xbox UI and it's not nearly as good. Why do they think they need so much shit on the screen?

It's like they tried to copy Playstation's homework, and fucked it up somehow.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks nice and clean.

They have released the Xbox UI and it's not nearly as good. Why do they think they need so much shit on the screen?

It's like they tried to copy Playstation's homework, and fucked it up somehow.
Honestly the series X looks like an improvement over the Xbox one's interface. As much as my brother likes his Xbox one, even he feels it gets too cluttered and hard to organize at times. Hopefully both consoles will have organization folders from the start, and not as an update two or three years down the line.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly the series X looks like an improvement over the Xbox one's interface. As much as my brother likes his Xbox one, even he feels it gets too cluttered and hard to organize at times. Hopefully both consoles will have organization folders from the start, and not as an update two or three years down the line.
Yeah I find it funny how people are hyping up all the features of the Xbox X but nobody is talking about games because Xbox wont have any.

"Oh but the Xbox will save your game state if the power goes out" If you're power is out you have bigger things to worry about that your video game
"Oh the Xbox has easy swap hard drives" Only Xbox brand drives
"Oh but game pass is cheap and it has all the games" Played those already, I'm not subbing to a service to play old shit I already bought

On and on....

And I get it to an extent. Brand loyalty is something that we see from people all the time. Remember Yoshi? B-Cell isn't exactly brand loyalty but his genre loyalty is a similar thing. But there comes a point where you are standing on a certain side of the fence so hard, that you don't realize you are standing in mud.

Honestly I hope Microsoft proves me wrong. I really do. I hope their Xbox "exclusives" come out and are awesome because frankly it's not a good thing to have no competition in business. It's what makes companies better. That's why I've been in favor of the Epic store since Day 1, because Steam needed competition. And Xbox NEEDS to be good this gen, if for no other reason than to keep Sony on it's toes.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Looks like a pleasant iteration but holy hell it only took them 8.5 minutes to get to the home screen. The give the UI 4.5 out of 5 apples but the demonstration only 1.5 of out 5 pineapples.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I find it funny how people are hyping up all the features of the Xbox X but nobody is talking about games because Xbox wont have any.

"Oh but the Xbox will save your game state if the power goes out" If you're power is out you have bigger things to worry about that your video game
"Oh the Xbox has easy swap hard drives" Only Xbox brand drives
"Oh but game pass is cheap and it has all the games" Played those already, I'm not subbing to a service to play old shit I already bought

On and on....

And I get it to an extent. Brand loyalty is something that we see from people all the time. Remember Yoshi? B-Cell isn't exactly brand loyalty but his genre loyalty is a similar thing. But there comes a point where you are standing on a certain side of the fence so hard, that you don't realize you are standing in mud.

Honestly I hope Microsoft proves me wrong. I really do. I hope their Xbox "exclusives" come out and are awesome because frankly it's not a good thing to have no competition in business. It's what makes companies better. That's why I've been in favor of the Epic store since Day 1, because Steam needed competition. And Xbox NEEDS to be good this gen, if for no other reason than to keep Sony on it's toes.
For the record, my brother does not plan on getting an X series x. He sees no point. especially now that he has a gaming laptop. He still plays on consoles mainly though. He'll get a PS5 later down the line.

Well I do agree that competition is healthy, the Epic store can go fuck itself. Steam has its problems, but at least Valve still tries. And even if Microsoft went out of the competition, there is still Nintendo. Despite doing their own thing, they've been able to keep Sony on their toes as well. Microsoft can buy up all the companies all they want. But if they're not going to do with anything with those properties and just sit on them like they did with past Rare properties, then it's pointless. Or how they treated Scalebound. I know Microsoft was not entirely at fault with the Scalebound situation, but they still pulled a couple dick moves on their part.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For the record, my brother does not plan on getting an X series x. He sees no point. especially now that he has a gaming laptop. He still plays on consoles mainly though. He'll get a PS5 later down the line.

Well I do agree that competition is healthy, the Epic store can go fuck itself. Steam has its problems, but at least Valve still tries. And even if Microsoft went out of the competition, there is still Nintendo. Despite doing their own thing, they've been able to keep Sony on their toes as well. Microsoft can buy up all the companies all they want. But if they're not going to do with anything with those properties and just sit on them like they did with past Rare properties, then it's pointless. Or how they treated Scalebound. I know Microsoft was not entirely at fault with the Scalebound situation, but they still pulled a couple dick moves on their part.
See the thing is, Nintendo's stuff is so niche (in a good way) that they aren't part of the larger video game.....war i guess? Nintendo rarely innovates imo, you kind of always know what to expect when a new nintendo game comes out. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc etc, each iteration of these games is essentially more of the same at the core with one or two new flavors added to it. Mario always has some new tool, but the game surrounding that tool is just more Mario. Will Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 be different, or will it be more BotW with a couple new toys?

Nintendo games are fine. But they don't ever push the video game medium forward like other companies do. Which ultimately might be a good thing, but as a result I don't feel like they battle for their place.

You could argue that most people probably have room in their gaming toolkit for a Xbox or PS5, but not both. However even if you have a console or a PC, you also will probably have room for a Switch in your gaming life as well. Which makes Nintendo have a very unique marketshare in the gaming realm.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, yeah my biggest issue with them is that they don't seem too keen on doing anything new. I've said before that I'm sure that the gamepass is great, if you wanna pay for old games to constantly play, or have a cheap way to play whatever few new things Microsoft does release. But Nostalgia gaming cannot be the majority of your offerings because eventually people will be lured away by the new stuff. And what Sony is showing off that is new is genuinely new. Meanwhile MS's new offerings are more Halo, more Forza, more Gears, more Fable. Even the new games that Microsoft has shown, are smaller AA or even indie level games, as if MS is afraid of investing in anything new, and I don't understand what their still doing in the console market if that's the case.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See the thing is, Nintendo's stuff is so niche (in a good way) that they aren't part of the larger video game.....war i guess?
By comparison, but Nintendo is still mainstream. Granted I don't touch of their 1st party IPs, other than DK and the Hyrule Warriors spin-offs. I mainly buy Nintendo consoles for the 3rd party stuff anyway. They do innovate, it's just more so in art style and gameplay. Which is the wise and most straightforward thing to do. They've innovated more than Microsoft and Sony (as much as I like their stuff), who only innovates in graphic details and powerhouse. Nothing wrong with that, but they have to better than that. Sony did actually, so props up to them. They faltered a bit early on, but they were able to knock it out of the park 90% of the time this generation. Nintendo had a couple of falters as well when came to certain series or spin-off of certain Mario franchises, but overall they've done fine. Mario Odyssey was a system seller, and helped in bringing back full 3D, collect-a-thon platformers after going MIA for a little while. The others that helped were A Hat In Time and Crash Insane Trilogy. Both were just as important.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, yeah my biggest issue with them is that they don't seem too keen on doing anything new. I've said before that I'm sure that the gamepass is great, if you wanna pay for old games to constantly play, or have a cheap way to play whatever few new things Microsoft does release. But Nostalgia gaming cannot be the majority of your offerings because eventually people will be lured away by the new stuff. And what Sony is showing off that is new is genuinely new. Meanwhile MS's new offerings are more Halo, more Forza, more Gears, more Fable. Even the new games that Microsoft has shown, are smaller AA or even indie level games, as if MS is afraid of investing in anything new, and I don't understand what their still doing in the console market if that's the case.
Exactly.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What if Microsoft eventually bought up so much of the industry that Sony ended up niche like Nintendo?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
What if Microsoft eventually bought up so much of the industry that Sony ended up niche like Nintendo?

They'd still have to actually do things with it.

Like they basically EA'd Rare. They had a good thing with Bungie but seemingly wanted to make them toil in the Halo salt mines for all eternity which drove them off to Activision. The only real saving grace of Mojang was that they were already content to do Minecraft seemingly forever (And the sole post-Microsoft minecraft release somehow missed all aspects of Minecraft to make a mobile-tier shoddy Diablo-clone)..

Its the same general pattern where they'll own the companies and the brands, and you probably see most of the worthwhile actual talent disappear as their current contracts end to go found their own indie stuff or whatnot.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Like they basically EA'd Rare. They had a good thing with Bungie but seemingly wanted to make them toil in the Halo salt mines for all eternity which drove them off to Activision. The only real saving grace of Mojang was that they were already content to do Minecraft seemingly forever (And the sole post-Microsoft minecraft release somehow missed all aspects of Minecraft to make a mobile-tier shoddy Diablo-clone)..

Its the same general pattern where they'll own the companies and the brands, and you probably see most of the worthwhile actual talent disappear as their current contracts end to go found their own indie stuff or whatnot.

I’d probably lmao if that actually happened, but it’d still be a shame to see a big chunk of the industry devalued like that. It would have to finally sink in for MIcrosoft that you can’t just throw money at something and hope to see worthwhile results.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Bethesda's already been on a pretty noticeable downturn.