You know, for a website about "Escapism" talking about current events that's happening in reality seems to be more popular.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm new here, so what I say should be taken with a grain of salt. But coming from reddit, I feel like as long as I stay out of the current events section, I can avoid politics on here. Vs on reddit, it's inescapable, no matter the subreddit or it's topic, politics will bleed in.
You’re allowed to do political but non-news stuff in Off-topic

But yes. It doesn’t bleed as much

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So you were all sunshine and rainbows before Trump got elected?
No, not really. But Trump feels like the turning point from "the world's not perfect" to "the world's gone to hell."

Can you link that Cat profile pic?
Not really. It was scanned from a small comic I got ages ago.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It's not without kicking and screaming for me. If people in politics would leave my hobbies the fuck alone then I wouldn't feel the need to talk about politics. When people make it their business to stomp on others because they demand they take their side, I get a bit testy about it.

Corner Wolf.jpg

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
The right wing extremism will pass away depending on the actions of the people in charge. Usuaully people go to the polar opposite of the specturm when the staus quo isn't working out for them. 1st world countries are going to have to give people some form of UBI to get them to turn coat and stfu.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
It's not without kicking and screaming for me. If people in politics would leave my hobbies the fuck alone then I wouldn't feel the need to talk about politics. When people make it their business to stomp on others because they demand they take their side, I get a bit testy about it.

View attachment 1255
Given all the cop threads you were involved in I really don't believe it's just about your hobby, dude.

Reactions: Trunkage and Kae

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Given all the cop threads you were involved in I really don't believe it's just about your hobby, dude.
Remember last week when NPR suggested that we could do with a few more non-white authors in the history section of our libraries. Guess what happened. “Stop putting politics into history.”

Self awareness is not strong with these ones

Reactions: Secondhand Revenant

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Getting dragged into politics because of the intrusion into my hobbies does not mean that I would then only be involved in topics related to my hobbies. The intrusion of my hobbies is the inciting incident, as it were. Is that a more comprehensible explanation for you?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Getting dragged into politics because of the intrusion into my hobbies does not mean that I would then only be involved in topics related to my hobbies. The intrusion of my hobbies is the inciting incident, as it were. Is that a more comprehensible explanation for you?
You implied you'd leave politics alone if it weren't for your hobbies being meddled with. Sorry if it doesn't check out that a ton of other things are relevant to you on the basis of your hobbies being affected alone.

It somewhat follows that if you only care because X you aren't gonna suddenly be passionate about Y and Z unless you care about those too now, for whatever reason. "Ah someone has mentioned a politic in my work of fiction, now I care about whether the police are justified or not and who the president is." Bit of a lame cover.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You implied you'd leave politics alone if it weren't for your hobbies being meddled with. Sorry if it doesn't check out that a ton of other things are relevant to you on the basis of your hobbies being affected alone.
I wonder why this is such a hard concept for you to understand. Let me try giving an example again. A video-game often starts with a cliche of the protagonist's village being attacked and burned down, which sets them off on their journey, but they will encounter numerous other problems on their journey's that they get involved in either due to their own beliefs or through necessity. Most often there is also an overarching plot that they end up involved in and will only go back to a peaceful life once it is over.

Is that a more digestible explanation for you? Do you understand now, or do I need yet another way of getting you to comprehend me?

It somewhat follows that if you only care because X you aren't gonna suddenly be passionate about Y and Z unless you care about those too now, for whatever reason. "Ah someone has mentioned a politic in my work of fiction, now I care about whether the police are justified or not and who the president is." Bit of a lame cover.
You're not nearly as clever as you think you are. There's no secret agenda that you've managed to deduce here.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I wonder why this is such a hard concept for you to understand. Let me try giving an example again. A video-game often starts with a cliche of the protagonist's village being attacked and burned down, which sets them off on their journey, but they will encounter numerous other problems on their journey's that they get involved in either due to their own beliefs or through necessity. Most often there is also an overarching plot that they end up involved in and will only go back to a peaceful life once it is over.

Is that a more digestible explanation for you? Do you understand now, or do I need yet another way of getting you to comprehend me?
I question why you think a video game story is an example of plausible and reasonable behavior

Anyways, the thing here is. These are not in your way. They're not necessary. They're not even *related* to the thing you profess concern for. You could be off doing any number of other things. Worrying about your hobby quite frankly... doesn't really lead you to talking about cops or whatever. You portray it as if you're dragged to but it's really just an independent choice.

You're not nearly as clever as you think you are. There's no secret agenda that you've managed to deduce here.
Agenda? I think you're not very introspective is all. Maybe a bit of an issue with respect to like, differentiating things you chose to do and things you act like others made you do as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hey! Guys posting above @DJShaddycat, you're doing the same shit all over again. This is why I don't bother with Current Events too much.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
As someone who represents a great deal of the problems let me respond.

When I go to Reddit, I go to say ask a liberal, and then I get downvoted for smack-talking Biden. It's all echo chambers there, I gave a game an 8/10(Star Wars squadrons) on there, and I still got downvoted to 15, granted I know many people here would downvote me, but here people debate me, there people downvote you, and move on.

If Reddit was less of an echo chamber I would go there, but I can't.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
As someone who represents a great deal of the problems let me respond.

When I go to Reddit, I go to say ask a liberal, and then I get downvoted for smack-talking Biden. It's all echo chambers there, I gave a game an 8/10(Star Wars squadrons) on there, and I still got downvoted to 15, granted I know many people here would downvote me, but here people debate me, there people downvote you, and move on.

If Reddit was less of an echo chamber I would go there, but I can't.
This is why I've ditched reddit the past couple days in favor of checking out this site. For me, I think reddit is a very toxic website in and of itself, and I a big part in that is the points system. It turns every post, every reply, every comment, everything, into a popularity contest. You get the same viewpoints over and over again because those conform to the general populous. And the viewpoints that are dissenting of the majority go straight to the bottom, never to be seen. Granted, a lot of the comments at the bottom very well deserve to be there, but sometimes they really don't.

Reddit will be an echo chamber until the day it dies. It's just such a shame that it's a powerhouse of the social media landscape now. The tipping point for me leaving was when I saw the most facebook-style image macro on the second page of /r/all. Not only has the site gone downhill, it was never great to begin with. Forums should be separated and run on different websites for different topics, moderated by different teams of moderators. That way when you go to a forum, you know what the subject is going to be. Good moderators will also prevent bleeding of other subjects into forums where they don't belong (Politics into gaming forums, firearms into veganism forums, etc..)

Unfortunate side is, nobody wants to be the small mom and pop forum dedicated to a niche topic that gets 50-60 users a day. They want to get millions of users, and turn a profit on their website. So of course they're going to mimic what reddit does, to an extent. Anyway, that was my ramble for the day.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
This is why I've ditched reddit the past couple days in favor of checking out this site. For me, I think reddit is a very toxic website in and of itself, and I a big part in that is the points system. It turns every post, every reply, every comment, everything, into a popularity contest. You get the same viewpoints over and over again because those conform to the general populous. And the viewpoints that are dissenting of the majority go straight to the bottom, never to be seen. Granted, a lot of the comments at the bottom very well deserve to be there, but sometimes they really don't.

Reddit will be an echo chamber until the day it dies. It's just such a shame that it's a powerhouse of the social media landscape now. The tipping point for me leaving was when I saw the most facebook-style image macro on the second page of /r/all. Not only has the site gone downhill, it was never great to begin with. Forums should be separated and run on different websites for different topics, moderated by different teams of moderators. That way when you go to a forum, you know what the subject is going to be. Good moderators will also prevent bleeding of other subjects into forums where they don't belong (Politics into gaming forums, firearms into veganism forums, etc..)

Unfortunate side is, nobody wants to be the small mom and pop forum dedicated to a niche topic that gets 50-60 users a day. They want to get millions of users, and turn a profit on their website. So of course they're going to mimic what reddit does, to an extent. Anyway, that was my ramble for the day.
Politics and gaming aren't some kind of mutually exclusive things that don't intersect. They sometimes do.

Veganism and firearms probably don't outside of tangentially to some philosophical discussion concerning what harm one can cause etc.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
TFW conversation above is exactly what the thread was complaining of

TBH the fact that's happening in this thread is really amusing to me!

Reactions: tippy2k2

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

I would agree with 100% of what you have said. Reddit is boring and one-sided. World News, Taiwan, China are anti-China, Sino is pro-China, they hate different viewpoints.