my rant about my favorite series

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
It's ranting time!

you know, there's certain things that I hate about my favorite series and that's what I don't like about Digimon(particularly first 2 seasons) and Pokemon anime as well our universe(last one may be too controversial to discussed here)

if any other universes has things I don't like about them, it aren't as much as my pet peeve about these universes and here's what I don't like about these Digimon and Pokemon installments:
  1. let's start with the first: Arukenimon and Mummymon being Digimon equivalent of Jessie, James, and Meowth wasn't only thing have in common between Digimon adventure 02 and current pokemon anime, the rest of Original Digidestined that aren't Takeru or Hikari are like Ash's friends(in terms of being those that demoted to extra)
  2. I also thinks 02 Younger Digidestined team being Current Seasons' Ash Ketchum himself splits into five man band, and both Hikari Yagami and Ash Ketchum utterly forget about their (supposed) psychic gifts badly(making both ultimate examples of fictional characters with Superpowers nerfed into simple human beings). not to mention both Ash Ketchum and main characters of Digimon 2 are portrayed as anti-sues in their shows
  3. don't get started on both series' worldbuilding: both restricts Superpowered beings that exists in the world into their titular lifeforms, leaving Humans confined into weak and useless characters. granted other Digimon seasons doesn't make all Superpowered Beings there are Digimons(mostly from having Digitals, occasionally from giving humans superpowers). people also forget that Hikari have psychic powers(this was the reason 1st season of Digimon make her 6th ranger, same with Digimon tamers make Matrix DIgivolution only available on last story arcs, but this wasn't much of problem like what I ranted here. this was to make superpowered kids in mons series tolerable. but Digimon 2 make her one of main characters did nerfs her bit too far. same deal with Ash kept reused to have his Aura powers forgotten by everyone)
  4. I can't think about any other Anime(sque) medium that get these treatments with Digimon adventure(particularly it's sequels) and (current main) Pokemon anime, not even other mons series got these treatments: even Yugioh does give any of the kids Superpowers(this allows some people uses Yugioh(or/and any mon anime outside Digimon or Pokemon) as Pokemon and Digimon substitute in crossovers with stuff like Kingdom Hearts and Teen Titans(cartoon), notably mega-crossovers) occasionally at least. and other anime(sque) that got the same treatments with Digimon(mostly adventure sequels) and (current) Pokemon anime tend to be nothing but a mundane slice of life
  5. even when Yugioh humans with Superpowers are no more of a Metahuman than Batman or Ironman-type characters(in terms of having no Superpowers), albeit with magical weapons. it's tvtropes' fault to treats anyone (including even non-powered characters) with esoteric equipment as metahumans
  6. granted, one of the reason Digimon anime uses different universes for different seasons was: to (actively) have any Superpowered Beings that aren't titular mons without having these superpowered characters got branded "mary sues"
  7. (incoming controversy): current Pokemon anime retconning everything that's more powerful than normal person there into Pokemons(that's no more sapient than IRL feral animals) was like "all Superpower abilities, no matter how scientifically sound what they are and how to get them are (labeled) pseudoscience IRL"(even when not everyone thinks like this)
  8. more rants about this can be found here: https://www.deviantart.com/masonicon/journal/another-vent-786755296
no wonder I usually gone with giving canon characters additional Superpowers in even crossovers when I writing fanfics, not only this can be easier to balance than using (mary-sue) OCs. this can workaround something that can cripple crossovers involving any of my favorite series

granted, these are some of the reason I can't hate any Digimon seasons following first 2 ones(excluding tri) despite lack of my personal favorite characters there

Last edited:

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
I completely agree.

It is abhorent that these systematic issues are allowed to take hold in a paradigm that was not intended for them. I concede that some flumoxing is negligible, but when it comes to renamon, there surely could have been a pathological reconsideration. It's unfortunate, as team rockets narrative failures are not their own, but rather can be traced back to forerunners, like Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, and The Epic of Gilgamesh. I hope to see this rectified in future installments, or perhaps in fanfiction

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
I completely agree.

It is abhorent that these systematic issues are allowed to take hold in a paradigm that was not intended for them. I concede that some flumoxing is negligible, but when it comes to renamon, there surely could have been a pathological reconsideration. It's unfortunate, as team rockets narrative failures are not their own, but rather can be traced back to forerunners, like Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, and The Epic of Gilgamesh. I hope to see this rectified in future installments, or perhaps in fanfiction
yes, but I'm not talking about Digimon season 3-onwards(that has Renamon) not only these Digimon seasons are all used different universes from the first 2 seasons of Digimon. I'm talking about things like universes like (current) Pokemon anime, Digimon 01/02/tri, and ours(at least just their official canons) banning Superpowered characters that aren't Digimons or Pokemons (in Digimon and Pokemon cases) so in these universes, being more powerful than a Normal Person automatically make anyone called "Mary-sue"

granted, things like this was one of the reason fanfictions like Ani-Toonspiracy exists

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
My problem with Pokemon is that Team Rocket is relied on way, way, waaaaaay too much as the central conflict. Team Rocket poses absolutely no threat to anybody and yet, especially into Jhoto, we focus on blasting them off multiple times an episode!

The show would have far better if Team Rocket was allowed to have their own B plot independent from the twerps from time to time, or even to not appear in an episode at all. Then you could actually focus on a story without these annoying flies buzzing around constantly interrupting.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
My problem with Pokemon is that Team Rocket is relied on way, way, waaaaaay too much as the central conflict. Team Rocket poses absolutely no threat to anybody and yet, especially into Jhoto, we focus on blasting them off multiple times an episode!

The show would have far better if Team Rocket was allowed to have their own B plot independent from the twerps from time to time, or even to not appear in an episode at all. Then you could actually focus on a story without these annoying flies buzzing around constantly interrupting.
I mean, at the end of the day, it's a show aimed at small children. Typically such shows follow a similar formula in order to be easily digestible by children. Hence why we get something like phineas and ferb, which is literally the same story every episode. In that sense, I think the show is fine for what it is. Most people simply aged out of it by fourth grade.

Thankfully the anime studio had another show for older people who aged out of pokemon, called Berserk, which was being made concurrently.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia

agreed, even when it isn't only my problem with Pokemon anime, I also have lot more problems with Pokemon anime(as original post of this thread stated)

Digimon, especially Adventure sequels(at least as actual shows) shares lot of problems with current Pokemon anime as I stated earlier

Last edited:

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas

I seem to recall that Team Rocket actually got competent and relevant around the Sinnoh or Unova season. They had a B plot where they would actually steal and commit actual organized crime in an organized fashion. But to be honest, the anime should follow the game with having Ash dealing with the antagonists of each specific region.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I was always disappointed that the dark master arc didn't have every digimon turn mega. We only got Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon. I thought that when the group split apart, they would each find their own way to get their partner to mega level.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
I was always disappointed that the dark master arc didn't have every digimon turn mega. We only got Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon. I thought that when the group split apart, they would each find their own way to get their partner to mega level.
I'm not necessarily talking about first season of Digimon, I'm talking about Digimon 2 treats the rest of Original Digidestined just like Ash's friends in current pokemon anime

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Either that or drop the pretence that Jessie and James are in any meaningful way, actually evil. They’re criminals for sure but like Skeletor before them they’re so inept at it because of the writing that the audience begins to find them endearing and they - especially James - get some of the best lines in the show.

So yeah, give Team Rocket their own B-plot

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think the first big mistake with Pokemon was not having new protagonists for each region. I know two reasons are because Pikachu is made of gold and that they have changed up the cast outside of Ash, but... I dunno, I think the show could be something more interesting if it had gone that route.

Reactions: Masonicon

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I always preferred Digimon over Pokemon when it came to the TV shows. I stooped watching Pokemon and lost interests with the games when I turned 12.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I always preferred Digimon over Pokemon when it came to the TV shows. I stooped watching Pokemon and lost interests with the games when I turned 12.
Digimon has always had the superior fiction but the comparison isn’t a brilliant one because the only thing the two series have in common is the small monsters. Everything else is night and day.

Also, in the spirit of the topic, Digimon Adventure 02 sucked because of Davis being an insufferable moron who succeeds by luck and other standard Shonen willpower tropes, and then the show focussing on him and Ken (whose best scene was having his shit ruined by TK) exclusively while everyone else may as well have been chilling in Acapulco.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
I think the first big mistake with Pokemon was not having new protagonists for each region. I know two reasons are because Pikachu is made of gold and that they have changed up the cast outside of Ash, but... I dunno, I think the show could be something more interesting if it had gone that route.
Digimon 02 also changed up the cast outside Takeru and Hikari just like Pokemon changed up the cast outside of Ash

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Also, in the spirit of the topic, Digimon Adventure 02 sucked because of Davis being an insufferable moron who succeeds by luck and other standard Shonen willpower tropes, and then the show focuses on him and Ken (whose best scene was having his shit ruined by TK) exclusively while everyone else may as well have been chilling in Acapulco.
to me, Digimon Adventure 02(and it's sequels) are closest thing other anime(-sque) medium getting comparable treatment to current Pokemon anime: from having Arukenimon and Mummymon being Digimon equivalent of Team Rocket trio, not completely changing up the cast just like Pokemon anime(in Digimon 02's case, it's Takeru and Hikari in Ash's place) where other mons series are known for fully changing up the casts, and most importantly both show's writers afraid having any Superpowered Beings that aren't titular monsters(even other mons anime have balls to at least experimenting with even giving kids superpowers)