Some new (Perhaps small) updates to the Rittenhouse case

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The person that fired the first shot that night is getting charged for "disorderly conduct and use of a dangerous weapon"

And Rittenhouse will not receive any kind of charges for transportation of a gun across state lines.

Still leaves the main crux of the case but they are updates regardless.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Good, he shouldn't have been shooting a firearm off at a protest. As for the second point, we already knew this; one of the first updates to come out of this was his nonownership of the rifle. However, the person who does actually own the rifle will also be facing felony charges for his lending out his firearm and it leading to deaths. Plus, what does it not being in violation of Illinois law have to do with crimes that happened in Wisconsin? And finally his lawyer can cram that "political prosecution" nonsense.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I also agree with the charges they filed against Rittenhouse too, though the article kind of makes it sound like the two homicides got rolled into one charge, which I don't like if true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Good, he shouldn't have been shooting a firearm off at a protest. As for the second point, we already knew this; one of the first updates to come out of this was his nonownership of the rifle. However, the person who does actually own the rifle will also be facing felony charges for his lending out his firearm and it leading to deaths. Plus, what does it not being in violation of Illinois law have to do with crimes that happened in Wisconsin? And finally his lawyer can cram that "political prosecution" nonsense.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I also agree with the charges they files against Rittenhouse too, though the article kind of makes it sound like the two homicides got rolled into one charge, which I don't like if true.
Lot's of people continually kept bringing up "He went across state lines!!!!#&&*^*(@%" so I'm hoping having an actual court say it will not be charging him for that will at least stop it from being brought up (It won't though *sigh*).

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Lot's of people continually kept bringing up "He went across state lines!!!!#&&*^*(@%" so I'm hoping having an actual court say it will not be charging him for that will at least stop it from being brought up (It won't though *sigh*).
Because that's way more important than the murder charges. Good choice of hill to die on.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Eh who cares really
Chauvin is out on bail, some madlad burnt 100K$ so he can walk till his trial. Whodunit? I don't know anymore man, this fifth generation warfare is tiring. I'd rather watch some anime instead.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Because that's way more important than the murder charges. Good choice of hill to die on.
The idea is that if you fire in self defense while committing a crime, you do not get the benefits of actually being considered as being in self defense.

So basically, the gun transportation issues was used by people to wave away his legitimate self defense by claiming he was already committing a crime and can't by definition be in self defense.

Now that that is not an option, people will ACTUALLY have to contend with his being in self defense, which will indeed affect the murder charges. People will actually have to talk about the people who attacked him as initiating the wrongdoing.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The idea is that if you fire in self defense while committing a crime, you do not get the benefits of actually being considered as being in self defense.

So basically, the gun transportation issues was used by people to wave away his legitimate self defense by claiming he was already committing a crime and can't by definition be in self defense.

Now that that is not an option, people will ACTUALLY have to contend with his being in self defense, which will indeed affect the murder charges. People will actually have to talk about the people who attacked him as initiating the wrongdoing.
I don't consider it self-defense when you're open carrying and I imagine there are some judges and juries out there that would agree. Because open carry is always an explicit threat. Rittenhouse went there looking for trouble and he got it. Now he has to pay the consequences for his cavalier stupidity.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I don't consider it self-defense when you're open carrying and I imagine there are some judges and juries out there that would agree. Because open carry is always an explicit threat. Rittenhouse went there looking for trouble and he got it. Now he has to pay the consequences for his cavalier stupidity.
If it's legal, but threatening people is illegal, it by definition means that open carry is not threatening explicitly or implicitly.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
If it's legal, but threatening people is illegal, it by definition means that open carry is not threatening explicitly or implicitly.
And that is a giant crock of shit because any ************ dumb enough to open carry is looking to start some shit. They're looking for an excuse to use that gun.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
And that is a giant crock of shit because any ************ dumb enough to open carry is looking to start some shit. They're looking for an excuse to use that gun.
I think they're looking for someone else to start shit so they can end it, but if you don't start shit they won't do anything either.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I think they're looking for someone else to start shit so they can end it, but if you don't start shit they won't do anything either.
Oh, great, so all I have to do is not catch the attention of a violent paranoiac.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Context matters. In this specific context, I agree with you, but you get to remote enough geographies and gun carrying gets less related to other people.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Rittenhouse's lawyers couldn't technicality their way into keeping him in Illinois, he's going to be tried in Wisconsin on murder.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

Rittenhouse's lawyers couldn't technicality their way into keeping him in Illinois, he's going to be tried in Wisconsin on murder.
Good. Though I will believe him being actually held accountable when it happens. He is the right's new action hero, they are going to do everything within their power to get him off.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Not necessarily. Someone who carries a gun and wants everyone to know might be wanting to make sure that no one starts shit with them. Sometimes the best way to make sure that no one messes with you is to look too scary to mess with. Kind of like taking up body building in prison so that people don't get any ideas about shanking you in the yard.

If you're going somewhere and expect it to be dangerous it makes sense to show everyone that you have a fuck-off big gun so that no one gets the idea to jump you.

But, as always, the best way to avoid danger and having people jump you is to not put yourself in that position in the first place.