The Escapist + Information Thread

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Hey all,

This week we launched two new premium subscription services on The Escapist.

The Escapist + & YouTube Memberships.

Instead of writing out a whole post detailing what this is, I'll let our slick new video do all the talking!

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Hi Nick,

What's the plan for The Escapist going forward? Right now it seems to be the Yahtzee Croshaw content delivery service.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Hi Nick,

What's the plan for The Escapist going forward? Right now it seems to be the Yahtzee Croshaw content delivery service.
Please have a look at the website and our YouTube channel and explain to me how we are the Yahtzee delivery service.

And yes, I am intentionally snarking with this reply because you’re either paying selective attention to what we’ve been doing with the outlet for the past year, or you’re posting this in bad faith as an insult.

For a real answer: We have multiple column series from a bunch of different writers, multiple new YouTube series and a lot of people are all working very hard on it.

We work together with Yahtzee to make cool content and he’s our biggest name, so of course we’re going to lean into that where we can.

Last edited:

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Please have a look at the website and our YouTube channel and explain to me how we are the Yahtzee delivery service.
Escapo.png

Looking at the forums, yup, it's clear that Yahtzee is your main drawcard, looking at the front page right now there's an article on Prey (2017), two videos from MovieBob and an article from.. you, all of which feature at the top of the page. Sorry for the snark in my original question, it should have read "is the intention to be a gaming news website?"

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
View attachment 116

Looking at the forums, yup, it's clear that Yahtzee is your main drawcard, looking at the front page right now there's an article on Prey (2017), two videos from MovieBob and an article from.. you, all of which feature at the top of the page. Sorry for the snark in my original question, it should have read "is the intention to be a gaming news website?"
We've been posting columns and such in the video games and movies & tv subforums. I don't really have time to be updating those sections all the time with all our content, especially with our Indie Showcase coming up in June.

We're not really a gaming "news" website anymore. If you watched The Escapist + video above, we're focusing on three core concepts via storytelling, critique and commentary.

Storytelling via stuff like our documentaries and feature write-ups, critique via all our different review series, and commentary via our columns and video series like The Escapist Show, The Joy of Gaming, etc. We brought Jack Packard in for more of our video stuff, and Marty Sliva is currently writing the Snapshot column for us, not including all of the new faces that are working on columns and video series as well.

We still cover some news that we think our audience will generally find interesting, but I wouldn't say we're going to be doing real investigative journalism or anything like that. We're more interested in creating fun and interesting content going forward and carving our own niche away from traditional games coverage outlets.

I think you'll see more of that via the Indie Showcase in June.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
From signing up with Option 3-tier membership, how long does it take for your name to appear in the credits as per the perk:

Name Engraved on Supporter Page on Website + Credits in our Premium Video Series

(ZP, SCW, Gameumentary, BP, etc.)

Also, how does it work with submitting questions for the "Ask the Creators"-videos which was part of the second perk? Do you get an e-mail with instructions or what happens?

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
From signing up with Option 3-tier membership, how long does it take for your name to appear in the credits as per the perk:

Name Engraved on Supporter Page on Website + Credits in our Premium Video Series

(ZP, SCW, Gameumentary, BP, etc.)

Also, how does it work with submitting questions for the "Ask the Creators"-videos which was part of the second perk? Do you get an e-mail with instructions or what happens?
Your name should be in today's episode of Zero Punctuation.

For Ask the Creators, video goes out around the 15th and you'll have it emailed to you as an unlisted YouTube link if you're a premium subscriber. That email will also include the Google Form for submitting questions.

The engraved webpage is a work in progress, we're trying to make something cool with it.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Your name should be in today's episode of Zero Punctuation.
Well my name isn't there. Neither of these names are "Bedinsis" nor are they my real life name.

john morton
aaron
sebastian baldwin
the.nitron
george pandzik
bsmarsch
too big to fail
zeophen
andy lampard
japeth cleaver
chase reece
iorikyo
patrick lefort
monorchah
nuraki01
adrian ellis
nicholas simonin
robert daniel pickard
ridculley
chris rodriguez
joshua fike
robert holt
lance lambert
joshua long
star-lord98
minias
the starnes
exalted guy interactive
jared smethers
lollopingnoob
tyler king
dylan kuntz
tony
its dannob
trickygamerjacob
bpendraon
sidney smith
darkjedi 66
cian cronin
erik bell
des whittal
the baba
christopher askin
mese ktet
ben speakmon
doublejesus
joshua long
matthew schaap
nathaniel hodge
brungo bongobum
andrew olguin
john mahon
jt watkins
inge brandser
paul birsan
wizut
luffy foxtrot
claire dalwin
miguel guerrero
sethzzard
kenton caoette
david mathews
nicholas stokes
james t. gatherer
dylan lockwood
atonalobe
jason rusch
duntawk
kevin verweyen
jeremy heath
ariel savard
ivy
ewhac
dbongard
jamie bardley
matthew pechey

For Ask the Creators, video goes out around the 15th and you'll have it emailed to you as an unlisted YouTube link if you're a premium subscriber. That email will also include the Google Form for submitting questions.
What? You'll post a link to the unlisted(meaning only accessible via link) video and only then do I get access to the question asking privilege? Even though I presume the video will already be completed with questions already asked.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Well my name isn't there. Neither of these names are "Bedinsis" nor are they my real life name.

john morton
aaron
sebastian baldwin
the.nitron
george pandzik
bsmarsch
too big to fail
zeophen
andy lampard
japeth cleaver
chase reece
iorikyo
patrick lefort
monorchah
nuraki01
adrian ellis
nicholas simonin
robert daniel pickard
ridculley
chris rodriguez
joshua fike
robert holt
lance lambert
joshua long
star-lord98
minias
the starnes
exalted guy interactive
jared smethers
lollopingnoob
tyler king
dylan kuntz
tony
its dannob
trickygamerjacob
bpendraon
sidney smith
darkjedi 66
cian cronin
erik bell
des whittal
the baba
christopher askin
mese ktet
ben speakmon
doublejesus
joshua long
matthew schaap
nathaniel hodge
brungo bongobum
andrew olguin
john mahon
jt watkins
inge brandser
paul birsan
wizut
luffy foxtrot
claire dalwin
miguel guerrero
sethzzard
kenton caoette
david mathews
nicholas stokes
james t. gatherer
dylan lockwood
atonalobe
jason rusch
duntawk
kevin verweyen
jeremy heath
ariel savard
ivy
ewhac
dbongard
jamie bardley
matthew pechey

What? You'll post a link to the unlisted(meaning only accessible via link) video and only then do I get access to the question asking privilege? Even though I presume the video will already be completed with questions already asked.
Ohhhh, I know what happened. So your name isn't on the website version, because I uploaded the older version without the updated credits. It's on the YouTube version though which is the correct file. It'll be on the rest of the videos on the website going forward.

And no, I think you're misunderstanding on the Ask the Creators video. We do one per month, so questions asked last month will be in this month's video around the 15th. Then the new question form will go out with this months video, and your questions will be answered in next month's video.

Last edited:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
And no, I think you're misunderstanding on the Ask the Creators video. We do one per month, so questions asked last month will be in this month's video around the 15th. Then the new question form will go out with this months video, and your questions will be answered in the next video next month.
Oh. In that case

For Ask the Creators, video goes out around the 15th and you'll have it emailed to you as an unlisted YouTube link if you're a premium subscriber. That email will also include the Google Form for submitting questions for next month's video.
FTFY.

TheShipsCat

Escapist +
May 5, 2020
Country
USA
Hey Nick.

I’ve been trying to figure it how the list of names is ordered because it seems that it randomly changes. Is there a hidden logic to it or is it just random. Not that it matters but the scotch made me ask

Hints welcome!

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Hey Nick. First thing: my name is now in the credits. Good job.

Second thing: I just rewatched two The Big Picture episodes and encountered a 10 second ad before the episode started. ("A positive outlook" and "Remembering Stuart Gordon"). One of the perks was an "ad-free experience". What gives?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Hey again Nick.

I see that two episodes of Ask the creators have been released to the general public, the latest of which is the one below:

The thing I react to though is the claim made by the user The Escapist in a response to a question by the user NekoiNemo:

"Will do for September's video since August is already out for Members. "

I have not received an e-mail with a link to what I assume is video #3. And I therefore have not received an opportunity to actually ask questions, the main reason I signed up for The Escapist+.

EDIT: I also communicated via e-mail with the Escapist, and I got a very swift response that:
"
The video has to go out to Members on YouTube first so that they're notified and then we set it unlisted and send to everyone through our mailing list. It's going out.

The video doesn't go out on the first of the month, it's coming to your inbox tomorrow.
"
I'm adding this to the original post here so as to not give the wrong impression of this website.

Last edited:

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Hey Nick.

I’ve been trying to figure it how the list of names is ordered because it seems that it randomly changes. Is there a hidden logic to it or is it just random. Not that it matters but the scotch made me ask

Hints welcome!
The names are just ordered by however they appear in our dashboard for subscribing members. I think it's just down to the date they signed up cause we have to organize by Tier.

Then YouTube is added on after that.