If the lock down is about to end for now what are the first things you want to do

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That is an interesting position to take. I'm listening to this one commentator that said essentially what you are stating. Say the lock down ends. Do you want to run off to your local American Football Stadium that holds 108K people right away?
How long until such a venue can ever again be filled at the pre-lock down market price?
Well, I'd say there would be quite a few idiots in Michigan who dont listen to medical advice.

People are just getting out of lockdow. The demand for such things is high at this time, and as long as they can pay for it, they'd go at a high price. I could imagine lots of gifts happening too.

Now, once it's all died down again... I imagine there would be a drop

Reactions: gorfias

Caramel Frappe

Legacy
Dec 10, 2010
California
Country
United States
My life hasn't changed that much. I'm usually home doing a lot of gaming, then work. Even now because I work at Stater Bros, they haven't closed down so I kept my job since this whole thing started. Would be nice to see my friends though, that's the only difference really.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Get a gf but that has to wait until July. It really bums me how this Spring turned out. I doubt I'll be successful anyway but a man can hope.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
All day in the pub. Not going heavy, just relaxing. Pub lunch, pints, olives for the table.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
What is there to do? I'm not going to be going back to work until people are confident enough to hold mass gatherings again.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Just hopefully get back to work and see my friends that I'm not super close with that I haven't seen in weeks. Most "normal" stuff is still probably going to be unwise to do like going to even a bar, going to a concert or convention, going to say Galloping Ghost Arcade (largest in the US).

If this ends, I of course want to visit family and friends I have not spent real face to face time in something like 8 weeks.
You can do that during the lockdown (unless they're like a plane flight away), I've been board gaming with my normal group throughout the lockdown and did Easter dinner like normal. One of our guys runs a photo shop so he's been making a bunch of fanmade additions to Terraforming Mars since he has so much more free time. Even the doctor (Peter Hotez) that helped develop the vaccine said you can see friends and family. The objective is to slow the spread, not stop the virus completely (which isn't possible). If anyone has pre-existing conditions, that's a different story.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I already was cooking a good 98% of my meals and most of my leisure activities were indoors so this hasn't affected what I do in my daily life much at all. I guess talking a walk to a cool stream area lined with pines near where I live without feeling like I'm somehow sneaking around while I do so is gonna be something to look forward to.

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
What is there to do? I'm not going to be going back to work until people are confident enough to hold mass gatherings again.
If you don't mind answering, what do you do?
I am afraid that the reality is that many people are going to be forced to " reskill" and find employment in other fields in order to find employment at all before the end of this in order to survive.

We already have groups of republicans conspiring to restrict,remove and reduce unemployment benefits. Their plan here is to force people into working for less wages and harsher working conditions by removing social safety nets and placing as many obstacles as possible to prevent people from being able to use them. As Agema kindly pointed out to me, by the government removing the lockdown while this is going to get worse and ignore it happening, they will also be able to use that as an excuse to remove their benefits.

Many businesses are using the pandemic as an opportunity to shift to automation, replacing workers jobs with machines that cannot get sick:

This necessarily means that many jobs will not be returning at all. Many jobs will never be done the same way they previously were again. We do have to accept that this pandemic changed the world we live in, and we can expect some of those changes to be lasting as this was only one of the many obstacles we will be facing as we have ever increasing numbers of challenges thrown our way in the face of climate change. We are already seeing an urgency to change the way we farm due to the severe impact on farmers already. We are seeing a change in the way we shop, by an increase in online shopping and delivery services, an expansion in technology services as more people will be working remotely. How we move to do things in the future is necessarily changing, which also means we will have to change what we do and how we do it as well in order to adapt to the challenges we are presented with.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
Right, well 1.5m, behind you.
I wish that would work for me too, sadly having a day at the pub with my friends scarfing on queso, sipping margaritas and giggling about stupid things is not in my future anymore.. I miss being able to do many of the things I so much enjoyed. Due to the damage the respiratory virus did to my lungs, it will never be safe for me to do that again.

I think the thing I miss most though was my runs by the lake at night. I loved how the moonlight reflected on the water and lit up the flowers in the gardens, giving everything an unearthly glow and with the lightening bugs it was almost like a fairy land.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if cases start spiking. I won't be running out to party...

Reactions: CaitSeith

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Also, thankfully as I live in the UK, no-one's going to stop me whilst I'm out jogging and blast me a few times with a shotgun.
Eh, for that to happen here you have to be black and go jogging into construction sites for no apparent reason whatsoever.

More on topic, not changing anything for at least two weeks, to see whether or not we're opening too much too soon. Assuming there's no evident second wave here at that point, my wife and a couple of our friends want to do some kind of small weekend trip. Personally, assuming it's been reopened by then I'd like to do a repeat of a weekend cabin trip we attempted year before last, but at different cabins - the one we rented then was terrible. Upshot to a cabin weekend is that while it's hard to distance from each other, it's trivial to distance from the rest of humanity.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
If you don't mind answering, what do you do?
I am afraid that the reality is that many people are going to be forced to " reskill" and find employment in other fields in order to find employment at all before the end of this in order to survive.
I'm a stage hand, there won't be automation taking my job any time soon, but it inherently means that people have to gather in large groups.

Luckily I nearly have that degree in programming already.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
I'm a stage hand, there won't be automation taking my job any time soon, but it inherently means that people have to gather in large groups.

Luckily I nearly have that degree in programming already.
I am glad you are close to being able to do something else, and programming is a sure bet for opportunities. I am afraid though that even the way we do concerts could be changing. As technology changes, so will the skillset for stage hands. I mean nothing really replaces the experience of something like Wacken Open Air, but it may be a while before we can safely start having large scale in person concerts again so there will likely be alternatives offered by artists, albeit no where near a comparable substitute, in the meantime.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
The quarantine is my favorite part of this whole terrible virus. Finally, I have an excuse to stay home all day and only socially interact with people over the internet.

Once it is safe to go out, I will probably wait an extra week or three, just to be sure. And then? Probably visit my mother and my grandmother. Been keeping in contact with them, but I still miss them a lot.