The PC building Thread

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I've received everything except the PSU and SSD. Now we play the waiting game.

Waiting game sucks.

Btw, do any of you use support brackets for your GPUs? Worth it?
I don't, I just mount it on the back like you normally would and make sure it's secure in the slot. It should be just fine

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Getting a new CPU at the weekend. My trusty Pentium G4600 has served me well for the last two years, but as I've got some spare cash at the moment I decided it was time to upgrade to four cores. New Kabylake processors are a little hard to find for a reasonable price nowadays, so I've had to settle for the Core i5 7400, which has a somewhat lower clockspeed than my current Pentium, but should get the job done.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
This is my build, now just turned five years old. This was built just before AMD started killing it with the Ryzen series.

Last year, I upgraded the GPU to a GTX-1070Ti. Late last week, however, arrived the newest toy -- an Acer XR342CK Pbmiiqphuzx (yes, that's the actual model number), which does 100Hz FreeSync (and which the NVIDIA card is happy driving), 10-bit color, HDR, and has a bunch of silly breathing LEDs on the bottom. I've been pining for one of these for about a year. I can see so much code now.

Only major downside of this rig is that Intel essentially abandoned LGA2011-3 sockets, so if ever I want to upgrade the CPU, I'll have to upgrade everything else along with it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This is my build, now just turned five years old. This was built just before AMD started killing it with the Ryzen series.

Last year, I upgraded the GPU to a GTX-1070Ti. Late last week, however, arrived the newest toy -- an Acer XR342CK Pbmiiqphuzx (yes, that's the actual model number), which does 100Hz FreeSync (and which the NVIDIA card is happy driving), 10-bit color, HDR, and has a bunch of silly breathing LEDs on the bottom. I've been pining for one of these for about a year. I can see so much code now.

Only major downside of this rig is that Intel essentially abandoned LGA2011-3 sockets, so if ever I want to upgrade the CPU, I'll have to upgrade everything else along with it.
I’m still running the i7-4790k. The intel i7 chips are hardy beasts and will probably see you through plenty of good times. On the upshot, you could turn your old rig into a damn fine Plex server or hardware firewall should you possess the inclination to do so.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
I’m still running the i7-4790k. [ ... ]
That was a damned popular chip for a long time. The principal reason I didn't go for it was DDR4 had just come out, meaning that DDR3 would eventually become scarce and expensive. And since the half-life on my machines has averaged about seven years, I decided to go with an X99-based mobo with quad-channel DDR4.

On the upshot, you could turn your old rig into a damn fine Plex server or hardware firewall should you possess the inclination to do so.
Even with gigabit fiber, I think a 4GHz 12-thread gateway would be overkill :) .

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
This is my build, now just turned five years old.
Hah, I name my PCs too. There's something kinda fun about it. I usually name em off of stuff from the Persona series (Which in turn the Persona's names are based off of mythology, but I'm not a history buff but I am a nerd for Persona, so... My inspirations come from a specific source) My laptop is Orpheus, my first desktop was Izanagi, and now my current one is Kaguya Hime. I'll probably call my next one something from Persona 5

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't, I just mount it on the back like you normally would and make sure it's secure in the slot. It should be just fine
The reason I'm thinking about it is because my current PC has a 980 in it, which is pretty heavy and I have it unsupported. When I was moving to my new apartment I was driving with my computer in the back and was legitimately worried every time I hit a large enough bump in the road that the graphics card would just snap off.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The reason I'm thinking about it is because my current PC has a 980 in it, which is pretty heavy and I have it unsupported. When I was moving to my new apartment I was driving with my computer in the back and was legitimately worried every time I hit a large enough bump in the road that the graphics card would just snap off.
I don't think anyone could manufacture a GPU so heavy that it'd snap motherboard ports without getting extreme levels of shit from the community. It's entirely up to you though. Some people online say it's worth doing, others say to use a DIY design instead. So it can go either way. If you ever need to transport it, just pack the case with foam or paper to reduce movement

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've received everything except the PSU and SSD. Now we play the waiting game.

Waiting game sucks.

Btw, do any of you use support brackets for your GPUs? Worth it?
I don’t but that’s cos my case - Silverstone Raven RV01 - mounts the motherboard rotated 44 degrees so the GPU is hanging vertically instead of horizontally.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I've got a 1060 in my rig that just barely can fit into the case (actually, I think it might extend into the space that extra storage drives would go if I installed them).

Never had a problem (aside from the act of installing it in the first place). Card fits good and securely, and I've taken the PC on long car trips multiple times, just having it on the floor with other stuff packed around it so it can't jostle much. I think a support bracket would get in the way of the fans, or the other PCI slots.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Woo hoo, finally built my new PC.

It took a while because the shipping on the M.2 SSD that I originally wanted got delayed and I ended up getting a different SSD from newegg instead.

I think I got the cable management pretty clean. The only thing I hate is the green LED on the SSD, which you can see reflecting off the GPU back plate in that image. I think I'm going to tape it up with electrical tape.