French government presents "global security" bill banning the filming of French police

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
On Tuesday, President Emmanuel Macron’s government presented its “global security” bill to the National Assembly. Coming after the announcement of plans for a law against “separatism” ostensibly targeting Islamist groups, this bill is part of a campaign to establish a permanent state of emergency, handing draconian powers to the police.
Its provisions are unprecedented. Anyone publishing of images of a public event including police agents in a way that could “harm the agent’s physical or psychological well-being” faces one year in jail and a €45,000 fine. This purely subjective criterion, which allows police to arrest anyone filming them simply by stating that they feel uncomfortable being filmed, undermines freedom of the press and any attempt to hold security forces accountable for police brutality.

The law also grants police vast new powers to carry out video-surveillance of the population. Access to security cameras in stores or public institutions as well as apartment complexes will be granted not only to national but also municipal police. Moreover, the bill authorises police to deploy drones with facial recognition technology to overfly and monitor public protest marches.
It comes, moreover, after it emerged that the government quietly slipped a provision into its law authorising university research funding to effectively ban protests in universities. It reads: “Penetrating or remaining in an institution of higher education without authorisation by legislative or regulatory acts or by the appropriate authorities, in order to disturb the tranquility or good order of the establishment, can face penalties.” These include three years in prison and a €45,000 fine.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Publishing images, or recording images? One thing is not the other. If I record a French cop and never publish the images, wouldn't I be safe?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
No surprise there. You give governments a finger they will take the entire arm. The state will turn more and more into an oppressor if you allow them to. I still don't understand how people can remain so naive about lockdowns and severe restrictions on freedom of movement. Not a few days, months on end. Then yep, a government will realize how easy it is to revoke other kinds of people's freedoms and remove important controls on public accountability. And then act accordingly. Let the police operate with total immunity! Only looking back will people realize what they have willingly surrendered.

Reactions: deleted20220709

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
*Looks at the yellow vests of yesteryear"

Yeah, this isn't about the pandemic response. I mean, people are angry at the pandemic response, but this was coming down the pipe regardless

Reactions: MrCalavera

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Publishing images, or recording images? One thing is not the other. If I record a French cop and never publish the images, wouldn't I be safe?
If you're recording a cop, they can arrest you.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I see that the liberals are At It again.
Who needs accountability anyway?

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

When public servants start pushing for secrecy to do their work, trust that you do not have the proper public servants installed.

For any public servants. Toss Biden, Trudeau, Merkel, and Johnson on the same pyre if and when they get there.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

When public servants start pushing for secrecy to do their work, trust that you do not have the proper public servants installed.

For any public servants. Toss Biden, Trudeau, Merkel, and Johnson on the same pyre if and when they get there.
I knew something like this was going to happen. I knew they were going to go post-2001 America because they feared Islamic terrorism, it was only a matter of time. America took the Patriot Act drug and we are still suffering from withdrawal. Now France thinks the drug looks pretty good

Reactions: MrCalavera

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Samething is happening in England, Germany, Spain, Italy, and Poland?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
All I can say is that Muslims in Europe right now are now the new Jews of Europe.

Except more systemic racism and transfers or concentration camps and ghettos.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I see that the liberals are At It again.
Who needs accountability anyway?
I still don't understand this opinion, dodging accountability and overstepping your authority isn't exclusive to any political leaning. You give any turd the authority to control people and this will eventually happen, doesn't matter what interests they pretend to represent.