Staying at home is the norm... What are you reading?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You read Robinson Crusoe?
I have. It was about the third-to-fifth most tedious book I've ever read.

every other chapter is the author waffling about some church which has a painting of a whale in it that he liked or something.
I'm at the part where he's wasting time talking about ambergris. I want to get back to the central narrative of revenge and all that.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I have. It was about the third-to-fifth most tedious book I've ever read.

I'm at the part where he's wasting time talking about ambergris. I want to get back to the central narrative of revenge and all that.
You just skim through that. Don't they teach folks how to skim through bad bits of book that don't matter to the plot anymore? Never would have gotten through my epic fantasy teenage phase without it.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You just skim through that. Don't they teach folks how to skim through bad bits of book that don't matter to the plot anymore? Never would have gotten through my epic fantasy teenage phase without it.
It's an audiobook, so it's a bit harder to skim through.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

I already finished reading it, but it's a book that a friend lent me, a Biopunk book about the lives of several characters in Thailand after the world has been decimated due to a combination of Global Warming causing the Ice caps to melt & raising levels & unchecked gene splicing having caused artificial viruses to spread & decimate both agriculture & people.
The book itself is a pretty easy read and has some very likeable characters, I liked the setting of Thailand it was refreshing compared to other more used cities such as Tokyo, Hong Kong or any city in the USA, it obviously touches on a lot of environmental themes but it also tackles issues of immigration & class divide, in any case it was interesting I'd recommend it even if I'm bad at selling it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Just finished a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin. I wish Martin would get a move on with the next Dunk and Egg story.

Now moving on to Last Call by Time Powers.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
But you can listen to it while doing chores. Kind of hard to cook dinner while reading a book.
Or while driving, sometimes I'm in the mood for a story while on the Highway so popping up an audiobook instead of music does it on those occasions.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
But you can listen to it while doing chores. Kind of hard to cook dinner while reading a book.
Or while driving, sometimes I'm in the mood for a story while on the Highway so popping up an audiobook instead of music does it on those occasions.
You guys are saying things, but all I hear is "lack of dedication."

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
You guys are saying things, but all I hear is "lack of dedication."
My lack of dedication to everything is legendary so I will not dispute that argument, I do like to read though, but it's really hard to do it on a screen because I'm easily distracted, so I need to have a physical copy so I can walk away from the computer & read in peace.

Reactions: SupahEwok

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
My lack of dedication to everything is legendary so I will not dispute that argument, I do like to read though, but it's really hard to do it on a screen because I'm easily distracted, so I need to have a physical copy so I can walk away from the computer & read in peace.
Paper > than digital, in basically all circumstances except financial and spatial. I buy a lot of books physically, but generally its books which I feel are worth having a physical couple of, and my only real standard for that is my gut instinct. The exception is if I'm browsing a secondhand store and am picking things up for cheap.

I buy digital when its things like long running book series, the collected works of a classic author, or if its books I'm not going to value long term. They're all cheaper for Kindle, and it saves me a lot of storage space.

The collected works of Mark Twain alone are something like 8500 pages, that can be an entire shelf, and some overflow, and you can pick it up for $3 on Kindle cuz that's all open domain now, whereas tracking down a comparable list of even used copies of his collection is gonna cost a lot, and be a pain in the ass to compile.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
So that's how you managed to get through Wheel of Time. You just skimmed through the majority of the books.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Paper > than digital, in basically all circumstances except financial and spatial.
And ecological.

How many trees died for your book, you murder?! :p

Though seriously, e-books are much better for the environment than printed books.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Bout halfway through The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.

Bunch of people get stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere, with nothing, and 3 months later they've made steel tools, nitro-glycerin and have domesticated an orang-utan.

Yeah, no.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Most recent stuff I've read is:

Dark Emu (3/5)

Doctor Crake Crosses the Wall (3/5)

The Way It Could Be (2/5)

Darksiders: Death’s Door (3/5)

Darksiders: The Graphic Adventure (3/5)

Dunno if I'll do individual reviews.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Been reading Eberron books. Eberron is a setting for Dungeons and Dragons. Most everybody I know who DMs wants to set up that one "epic" campaign going from level one to max with all the stuff they love in it, just once. A lot of them give up from the workload or cuz such a thing takes years to play out and shit happens. This is my attempt to set up my own. Might as well, I got time with quarantine and my friends and I need a game to socialize.

Game is using the latest edition rules, but since the setting hasn't had its timeline ever change, all info ever published for the setting is still current. Got a) Rise of the Last War as the main book for fifth edition, b) Eberronicon as a bit of a reference encyclopedia, c) Morgrave Miscellany is an "unofficial" supplement (meaning it's published under the open games license for the game, and is not affiliated with Wizards of the Coast, the D&D owner) written by the setting's creator with a lot of supplementary details on how the classes fit into the setting, among other things, d) Five Nations, Dragonmarked, and Sharn: City of Towers as older setting supplements for background lore, plot ideas, and maps, and e) Encounters in Sharn or something like that, which has a collection of small scale battles or adventures that take place in the city the game will start in, and which I can shamelessly steal stuff from so that the work I'm doing is sustainable in the long run (way easier to edit something to fit than to make it from scratch).

I'm in a brainstorming stage where I'n reading through the books and jotting down any ideas that happen to hit me as I go, and forming them into 5 overarching plotlines framed as conspiracies, which will update with the state of the world according to the players' actions, and serve as inspirations for the adventures I'll be coming up with. For example, if I feel like the Criminal conspiracy is at a tipping point, maybe that means its time for a gang war for the players to be involved in. And maybe the results of that gang war have an effect on the Politics conspiracy, so the next adventure will evolve organically from the previous while taking the players in a fresh direction. Eberron has 3 big selling points as a setting: magiteck, pulp adventure, and noir thriller. Noir thriller is the favorite for me, so the campaign will be geared towards that primarily, with the players getting ensnared in the gambits and betrayals of a continent-wide Cold War.

So far, the Demon conspiracy/plotline has gotten the furthest (it'll probably be the epic conclusion of the game, and I tend to have the easiest time coming up with endings than anything else), with Criminal close behind, vague ideas for Dragonmarked Houses (basically industrial barons) and Dreamers (sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, except telepathically?), and not really anything at all for Politics. I'm going through Five Nations now, as its the background info for the major continental powers, to try to help that last one. Dragonmarked should help with the Houses plot, and Sharn with the Criminal one. I'm not sure if I will want to keep the Dreamers one. It's cool, but so far it's feeling divorced from the other plots. I'm thinking of reframing it as a subplot for each of the major plots; each plot would have a Dreamer infiltration, which can take over the whole plot if the infiltration goes unimpeded long enough. I have to think it through more.

Reactions: Kae

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Been reading Eberron books. Eberron is a setting for Dungeons and Dragons. Most everybody I know who DMs wants to set up that one "epic" campaign going from level one to max with all the stuff they love in it, just once. A lot of them give up from the workload or cuz such a thing takes years to play out and shit happens. This is my attempt to set up my own. Might as well, I got time with quarantine and my friends and I need a game to socialize.

Game is using the latest edition rules, but since the setting hasn't had its timeline ever change, all info ever published for the setting is still current. Got a) Rise of the Last War as the main book for fifth edition, b) Eberronicon as a bit of a reference encyclopedia, c) Morgrave Miscellany is an "unofficial" supplement (meaning it's published under the open games license for the game, and is not affiliated with Wizards of the Coast, the D&D owner) written by the setting's creator with a lot of supplementary details on how the classes fit into the setting, among other things, d) Five Nations, Dragonmarked, and Sharn: City of Towers as older setting supplements for background lore, plot ideas, and maps, and e) Encounters in Sharn or something like that, which has a collection of small scale battles or adventures that take place in the city the game will start in, and which I can shamelessly steal stuff from so that the work I'm doing is sustainable in the long run (way easier to edit something to fit than to make it from scratch).

I'm in a brainstorming stage where I'n reading through the books and jotting down any ideas that happen to hit me as I go, and forming them into 5 overarching plotlines framed as conspiracies, which will update with the state of the world according to the players' actions, and serve as inspirations for the adventures I'll be coming up with. For example, if I feel like the Criminal conspiracy is at a tipping point, maybe that means its time for a gang war for the players to be involved in. And maybe the results of that gang war have an effect on the Politics conspiracy, so the next adventure will evolve organically from the previous while taking the players in a fresh direction. Eberron has 3 big selling points as a setting: magiteck, pulp adventure, and noir thriller. Noir thriller is the favorite for me, so the campaign will be geared towards that primarily, with the players getting ensnared in the gambits and betrayals of a continent-wide Cold War.

So far, the Demon conspiracy/plotline has gotten the furthest (it'll probably be the epic conclusion of the game, and I tend to have the easiest time coming up with endings than anything else), with Criminal close behind, vague ideas for Dragonmarked Houses (basically industrial barons) and Dreamers (sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, except telepathically?), and not really anything at all for Politics. I'm going through Five Nations now, as its the background info for the major continental powers, to try to help that last one. Dragonmarked should help with the Houses plot, and Sharn with the Criminal one. I'm not sure if I will want to keep the Dreamers one. It's cool, but so far it's feeling divorced from the other plots. I'm thinking of reframing it as a subplot for each of the major plots; each plot would have a Dreamer infiltration, which can take over the whole plot if the infiltration goes unimpeded long enough. I have to think it through more.
You gotta deliver that 2e game before that, man.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
You gotta deliver that 2e game before that, man.
I figured there wasn't any real interest still in it, but since you're back from the Army early, we'll see.

Edit: besides, you Pathtards who can't even GURPS couldn't handle a real man's Nonweapon Proficiencies anyway.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
I figured there wasn't any real interest still in it, but since you're back from the Army early, we'll see.

Edit: besides, you Pathtards who can't even GURPS couldn't handle a real man's Nonweapon Proficiencies anyway.
You cannot compare GURPS to 2e. 2e is child's play. And let I remind you, I have played a spellcaster in GURPS. Anyone that has taken even a cursory glance at magic in GURPS knows what I am talking about.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Just blasted through Age of Myth by Michael Sullivan (the first book of the Legends of the First Empire saga).

I had gotten it randomly while out at a bookstore, back in the before times where going out to get books didn't sound like a daredevil thing to do. It sounded interesting and I was in the mood for something like that so I just randomly gave it a shot with no prior information. I ended up having it sit in my shelf for months until 4 days ago and then I decided to actually read it on a whim and hoo boy, I already have the next 3 ordered on amazon.

Book is brutal, funny, wholesome and epic in equal measures. I love every character, even then ones you're meant to hate. It feels like what I always wanted out of Tolkein-esque stories, they always go on about the ancient times back when there was wonder and magic but the present is always some fallen realm. Well, this story is still very very much in the golden age of its epic history, there's still the great ancient magical folks in power and humans are basically either conan style barbarians who communicate with grunts and chair legs to the head or ignorant small minded farmers with petty minds who think everything that seems powerful is a god. My fav char is this weird woods mystic girl who has a pet wolf and talks to trees. Also they manage to do the strong empowered female characters right in this book. They earn their glory just as much (if sometimes more so than the men) and never do they feel granted success in an unrealistic fashion. The aforementioned mystic girl is the closest to being just naturally talented at things, but she's a darling and hilarious and not smug at all (in fact she calls people Ma'am a lot) so you can't help but want to cheer for her.

Apparently, this series is a prequel to some other saga by the same author, taking place in the same world 3000 years in the past, but you don't really need to know anything about that other series and the things they bring up about past events may be distorted cause it's been 3000 years so it's totally independent. I went into it not even knowing about the original series set in that world but if it's half as good as this I'll jump on it too lol.

Also a great thing about this series is that the writer wrote all 6 books to completions before publishing the first one so you know the story has an end and you can get the books in a timely fashion. Perfect for a binge-reader like myself.

Last edited: