Nvidia RTX 30XX series thread: 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti paper launch on June 3rd

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The 3090 stikes me as the kind of card someone gets when they spend their days on AutoCAD and their nights on Doom Eternal.
Imo the 3090 is like the 2080ti or Titans i.e. for people with too much money who absolutely need to have the biggest, baddest and latest consumer level card.
Professionals just get a Mac Pro with a Quadro and put that on their company expense account.

Tho it seems a proper Ampere-based gpu for that market is in the works. I mean, obviously Nvidia would.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Reactions: gorfias and Chimpzy

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Imo the 3090 is like the 2080ti or Titans i.e. for people with too much money who absolutely need to have the biggest, baddest and latest consumer level card.
Professionals just get a Mac Pro with a Quadro and put that on their company expense account.

Tho it seems a proper Ampere-based gpu for that market is in the works. I mean, obviously Nvidia would.
Jesus Christ the Redeemer. That's more memory than my rig has.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan

The 3090 and 2080ti both have full speed NVLink which allows for resource pooling between two cards for extremely large 3D scenes and CAD files (that support the technology). Perfect for students, hobbyists, freelancers (me), and small studios. Quadros are extraordinarily expensive and offer no performance benefits in 3D rendering and outside of some CAD software (Catia for starters), they offer no performance benefits in the viewport. Just stability, validated drivers, longevity, and sometime more VRAM at the top-end. Software like Maya, 3DS Max, Blender, C4D, Houdini, etc do not run faster with Quadros. Just a little bit more stably and with fewer visual glitches (and 10BIT colour support).

This is coming from someone whose laptop has a Quadro P4200 and a Firepro w9100 and 3 Geforce cards in their desktop running Maya, Redshift, Zbrush, Blender, and Substance Painter. The one thing that is a major bugbear is that W10 is a colossal P.O.S. when it comes to 3D modeling and animation. It is soooooo slow and clunky compared to W7 on the exact same system. That is why I keep trying (and failing) to switch over to Linux/CentOS.

MacOS has dropped support for Nvidia with their last few O.S. versions and Nvidia dropped driver support for the older O.S. last year. You cannot use anything newer than Pascal with High Sierra stably, as I have heard from fellow 3D artists, Turing is incredibly buggy and most often does not work at all. I think, think the one that came after High Sierra also works with Nvidia cards but not well.

That means no CUDA support for the software that uses it exclusively. GPU rendering software which is becoming increasingly important in 3D rendering, whether it be full GPU rendering like in Redshift3D (my rendering software) or hybrid GPU/CPU software like Pixar's Renderman; Almost none support Metal, and with Redshift support still in Alpha testing, they kneecapped an entire professional segment that is growing fast.

TL;DR These top-end Geforce cards are great for small-time 3D artists and studios for their massive VRAM banks, NVLink support, and performance relative to what the more expensive Quadros offer and Nvidia does not play nice with Macs.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The launch of this new line just keeps on giving.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Fairly recently MSI got caught up in a controversy regarding scalping of 30XX series cards by one of their international subsidiaries - naughty little bastards - and their pretty boilerplate response to the whole thing.

The video is just a primer but I think it hits all the main points. What sticks in my craw, oddly, is the expectation this guy seems to have had that MSI were going to invite a bunch of YouTube chucklefucks to their factory or HQ - he cites an incident involving EVGA and some 10XX cards that were apparently catching fire that resulted in such a thing - in some kind of act of penance or some bullshit. Even if we look at the reality of a COVID world right now, why do these guys think they are that a multi-billion dollar enterprise is going to involve them in changes to their policy after a colossal fuck up like this? They'll have enough issues sending their own people in to collect some scalps for this without a bunch of these YouTube talking heads bumbling their way through the corridors.

I mean with that said, by all means rake MSI over the coals - Christ knows the fucking deserve it - and spread the word far and wide and hit them where it hurts.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I need a computer to run Elders Scroll 6 with max number mods, script heavy mods, animation mods, and etc with as good of graphics as possible.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
And here I am still sitting on my 970ti and dual core CPU. Gonna need to build a whole new computer to replace my ~5 year old build.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

A quick review/look at the RTX 3070. Undoubtedly more in-depth reviews will follow from other channels, this is just the first one I saw.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Another analysis of the 3070, tho it pretty much draws the same conclusions

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And of course, AMD is unveiling Big Navi tomorrow, so we’ll see if they flop the rumoured 3070 killer with 16GB VRAM on the table.
Yeh, looking forward to what AMD will be bringing to the table, particularly whether or not they'll have some kind of answer to DSLL 2.0.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Okay so this is a bit of a lark: top of the range RTX 3070, the Asus ROG Strix, is about $1300AUD, but an Inno3D or a Galax RTX 3080 is the same, in fact the Inno3D 3080 is $50 cheaper than the Asus ROG 3070 XD

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Available soon at your local scalper ...

Anyway, december 2nd, aka tomorrow, the RTX 3060 Ti will be available to bots and the occasional lucky bastard.
Comes at an MSRP of $399 and touted to be about on par with an 2080 Super.