What are using for a Cell Phone and with what do you want to replace it with?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What are using for a Cell Phone and with what do you want to replace it?

I have an ancient Samsung Galaxy 7. The missus is going to let me upgrade and I'm thinking either the Samsung 10 or, they skipped 11-19, a 20. Especially for anyone that has tried both, what are your experiences?

Reactions: Alienware

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm using a Samsung A5 currently and I fully intend to go with whatever is the updated version of that once this one gives in. I simply don't see the point of owning a more high end phone anymore. I don't do a lot of gaming or photography with my phone and even a budget outing like the A5 works just fine for talking, texting and browsing the interwebs. Another pro is that two out of my last 4 phones have met their end after I accidentally dropped them in the toilet (don't ask), so having a phone that can stand being submerged has become a necessity for me.
LOL, you sound like my kids! Their last 1/2 dozen phones met similar fates. My boy got thrown in a pool at a party once. His wallet could be dried out. His phone? Not so much. Thanks for the advice: I've been watching some youtubes urging people to not just run out and get the bestest most expensive. They typically do not need it. Personally, I need more flash memory on the phone. Samsungs can have file storage on an micro SD, which I do, but apps must run from the phone and I actually use a number of them for work. Whatever I get must have 64 Gig min.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
"ancient Samsung Galaxy 7"

What's my Galaxy S5? An artifact of a precursor race?

I largely don't give a crap about my phone. If it can call, text, check email, and browse the internet, it's fine with me. Kinda wish it had better performance, but I have doubts that newer phones would run all that faster with the extra bloatware they're likely to have amyway.

Personally, I need more flash memory on the phone. Samsungs can have file storage on an micro SD, which I do, but apps must run from the phone and I actually use a number of them for work. Whatever I get must have 64 Gig min.
Yeah, that's been another hangup with my phone, can't have many apps on after the necessities. Used to be that the extra micro SD could be fused with the phone's storage and treated as an expansion, but I read that Android cut that functionality at some point. Whenever I upgrade, it will be to a phone that allows that kind of expansion.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
I am using a Samsung S7 Edge that I made out of phone parts I gathered from my old job as a phone repairman. It's served me a good three years now, but it's starting to get old due to version updates not being supported, a dying battery and an ever decreasing storage space. Which I was alright with when all I used it for was browsing in transit and phone calls, but when a phone is your only means of entertainment it's starting to get tedious.

I am not particularly fussed about upgrading. Money is tight and there are other things that take precedence. Perhaps after my military service I shall find a battery replacement to take care of one of the problems. Eventually I might gather enough parts to make an upgrade myself. Should I have the luxury of choice, I shall try to get something with more storage space.

Reactions: gorfias

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm currently using a Moto E5 Play that was $80 when I bought it like 2 Octobers ago. I'm not really eyeing anything to replace it, the only thing I would like the phone to have is a bit more RAM because Terraforming Mars eats memory. I'm sure whatever phone will be in that $100 or so price range will have more memory than my phone when I do look to get a new one.

I'm using a Samsung A5 currently and I fully intend to go with whatever is the updated version of that once this one gives in. I simply don't see the point of owning a more high end phone anymore. I don't do a lot of gaming or photography with my phone and even a budget outing like the A5 works just fine for talking, texting and browsing the interwebs.
I also don't get the point of high-end phones, the low-end phones literally do everything nowadays, they even play games. As a dev/publisher, you're not going to make a game only the high-end phones/tablets can play because you're losing way too many potential customers. The biggest differences in the high-end phones is the camera and screen. And, with the money saved on a low-end phone, you can buy a much better camera than the one a flagship phone has. Why do you need such a great screen on like a 5" screen?

Personally, I need more flash memory on the phone. Samsungs can have file storage on an micro SD, which I do, but apps must run from the phone and I actually use a number of them for work. Whatever I get must have 64 Gig min.
Yeah, that's been another hangup with my phone, can't have many apps on after the necessities. Used to be that the extra micro SD could be fused with the phone's storage and treated as an expansion, but I read that Android cut that functionality at some point. Whenever I upgrade, it will be to a phone that allows that kind of expansion.
What do you guys need so much storage for? I have a phone with 16GB storage and I have 6 games installed on it with over 2GBs free. My freaking Desktop PC's C: drive with Win7 is using 30GBs and my laptop's Win10 C: drive is using 24GBs. What the hell do you NEED 64GBs for? I can have a PC freaking triple boot with 3 OSs installed on it with 64GBs of storage.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
What do you guys need so much storage for? I have a phone with 16GB storage and I have 6 games installed on it with over 2GBs free. My freaking Desktop PC's C: drive with Win7 is using 30GBs and my laptop's Win10 C: drive is using 24GBs. What the hell do you NEED 64GBs for? I can have a PC freaking triple boot with 3 OSs installed on it with 64GBs of storage.
I have 0 games installed on my phone, with all photos and meme images saved to the micro SD, and yet between social media, apps for work and school, app for my bank account, Spotify, Coursera, Duolingo, and a food delivery app, I'm at 15 gigs, and feel the need to reserve that last gig for any app I need suddenly.

Different folks have different needs.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Recently got a Samsung Galaxy A30 as part of a promotion; buy product X and you get a free phone.

I'm not looking to upgrade it for the foreseeable future.

Before this I used a Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo for nearly 5 years, it functioned perfectly fine and I wasn't looking to replace it, but the A30 happened to fall in my lap. My main phone usage is YouTube, Chrome, and a messaging app, so a phone lasts me for a looooong time.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
A Huawei Y7 that I got in 2016 or 17, I think? It was cheaper than the competition's equivalents and it get the job done. Not looking to replace anytime soon.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I have a Samsung galaxy S8+. Its not too bad. I can barely hear anything when actually using the phone part, so I use bluetooth stuff. Wouldn't mind upping the volume by 200%

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I have 0 games installed on my phone, with all photos and meme images saved to the micro SD, and yet between social media, apps for work and school, app for my bank account, Spotify, Coursera, Duolingo, and a food delivery app, I'm at 15 gigs, and feel the need to reserve that last gig for any app I need suddenly.

Different folks have different needs.
Firstly, 16GBs and 64GBs is quite a difference. Apps do store a lot of data via cache on your internal storage. On my phone currently; Firefox, Messenger, and Maps all have over 100MBs that are cached and Facebook has almost 300MBs so that's at least 600MBs I can free up if needed with just those 4 apps. And even if you don't root your phone and remove the bloatware, you can "uninstall" them down to older versions, then "disable" them so they don't keep updating and taking more and more space. For example, I have the Youtube app disabled and uninstalled as much as possible and it's only using 30MBs of storage. There's really no reason why 90+% of people can't make 16GBs work for them even with a handful of game installs. 32GBs will allow you to not have to really do any storage management outside of moving pics and vids to cloud or SD storage.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Firstly, 16GBs and 64GBs is quite a difference. Apps do store a lot of data via cache on your internal storage. On my phone currently; Firefox, Messenger, and Maps all have over 100MBs that are cached and Facebook has almost 300MBs so that's at least 600MBs I can free up if needed with just those 4 apps. And even if you don't root your phone and remove the bloatware, you can "uninstall" them down to older versions, then "disable" them so they don't keep updating and taking more and more space. For example, I have the Youtube app disabled and uninstalled as much as possible and it's only using 30MBs of storage. There's really no reason why 90+% of people can't make 16GBs work for them even with a handful of game installs. 32GBs will allow you to not have to really do any storage management outside of moving pics and vids to cloud or SD storage.
I'm not rooting the phone and violating the warranty. I've already had the model of phone break on me (in my pocket!) and the warranty replaced it for free. I'm not enduring the grief of trying to explain to my mom (we're still on a family plan since it's cheaper for all concerned) why I would need to purchase a new phone if it happens again.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
"ancient Samsung Galaxy 7"

What's my Galaxy S5? An artifact of a precursor race?

I largely don't give a crap about my phone. If it can call, text, check email, and browse the internet, it's fine with me. Kinda wish it had better performance, but I have doubts that newer phones would run all that faster with the extra bloatware they're likely to have amyway.

Work gave me an ancient HTC Phone and then expected me to test apps on it. They simply would not work on so old an OS. Your S5 may/will run into similar issues. But what I'm learning: that does not mean you have to buy a super expensive top of the line phone. It just will not do much more for us. I need one with more storage on phone and something that can have a new OS and handle apps.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Work gave me an ancient HTC Phone and then expected me to test apps on it. They simply would not work on so old an OS. Your S5 may/will run into similar issues. But what I'm learning: that does not mean you have to buy a super expensive top of the line phone. It just will not do much more for us. I need one with more storage on phone and something that can have a new OS and handle apps.
Yeah, I already ran into an issue. Mom got me a Fitbit watch for Christmas, but it needs the phone app, and that Fitbit watch was incompatible with my phone because my phone only goes up to Android 6. Had to return that one and get an older (or at least supporting older tech) Fitbit that would work with the OS.

But since the phone is paid off, I'm not switching up a model until this one can no longer get replaced.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm not rooting the phone and violating the warranty. I've already had the model of phone break on me (in my pocket!) and the warranty replaced it for free. I'm not enduring the grief of trying to explain to my mom (we're still on a family plan since it's cheaper for all concerned) why I would need to purchase a new phone if it happens again.
I didn't say to root your phone. I said even if you don't do that, you can decently lower the storage the bloatware does take up.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I've been siting with a Samsung A5 for the last, I dunno, 3 years? It was cheap even at the time but it has served me well. Got all the space I need, no real slowdown I've noticed. A dream compared to the iPhone 4 I had before that, which developed serious issues after a few years, and made me decide to avoid Apple products in the future.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
I am currently using an Iphone 8+, when the contract ends I might end up getting a new Samsung Note or a newer version of the Iphone.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Pixel 3XL. I moved to this from iPhone and never see me going back. So I'll probably spring for a Pixel 5 or 6, whichever is newer when my phone is paid off and I feel like upgrading. I want big daddy Google to keep spying on me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
S6..."""new""" to me at least. Battery shite. Would prefer to use the power of telepathy please. Science? Get on it! Wait, I don't trust corporations having internet connection to my brain though. That can fuck right off. Biology? Get on it!