Your Favorite Resident Evil Protagonist

Who is your favorite recurring resident evil protagonist?

• Total voters

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Resident Evil has four main protagonists. Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy, and Claire Redfield. Thinking about the characters and trends of the series, I was curios which ones were the most popular. Chris Redfield tends to be the protagonist in the more action oriented games or sections. Claire often tends to be placed in more traditional survival horror titles. Leon and Jill are somewhere in between, with both having been in survival horror and action heavy titles.

I noticed this because I tend to not like Chris Redfield very much. Every time he shows up, I know I'm about to get an action heavy resident evil title, and those tend to be my least favorite. But even in RE 1, his most horror focused title, I found Jill's playthrough much more interesting. This led me to wonder if I had a bias against him, or just the titles he was in. But more then that, it made me wonder which characters in the franchise are the most beloved, and why.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chris has always had the reputation of being the most boring. It's not just you. Even back then I didn't care much for him, and I did not get interested in Chris until RE5.

In order:

Leon
Claire
Jill
Sherry
Sheva
Barry
Josh
Chris

Everyone else I either don't care for, or I usually dislike.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Jake is the best Resident Evil protagonist. He's so cold and aloof but he only does it to shelter his feelings. His father was murdered and he's spent his childhood learning how to fight and he's spent his entire life being a mercenary but he's still got a heart of gold and wants to save the world. He even forgives the person that killed his dad, he's that nice, guys.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Jake is the best Resident Evil protagonist. He's so cold and aloof but he only does it to shelter his feelings. His father was murdered and he's spent his childhood learning how to fight and he's spent his entire life being a mercenary but he's still got a heart of gold and wants to save the world. He even forgives the person that killed his dad, he's that nice, guys.
But what if that forgiveness was actually hiding something... more?

A love for a certain buffy, low IQ military man that spends his time punching rocks?

Oh chris, if only you would punch the boulder encapsulating my heart.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Leon Kennedy...and specifically, the Resident Evil 4 version of him. That was a game that knew what kind of tone it wanted to strike, and cast the perfect voice acting to match that tone of story. Leon Kennedy in that game came off as a perfect B-movie hero, in a great B-movie game.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean Leon, right? He's the only fun one, and yes he is BAD enough to save the President's daughter. Its like asking whose your favorite character in the Evil Dead series; Ash, the one lady, the dude, or the other one lady?
RE4 is the Army of Darkness of Resident Evil games - it can't be topped and shame on you for even thinking it!

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
LEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOON

Then Jill. She's cool, and RE3 was my first RE game. And that tubetop...

Claire's also cool, i guess. And that's about it. Sorry, Chris.

EDIT:
Outside the "Big Four": Sheva and Barry. Especially BERRY!

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Leon "Bad Enough" Kennedy. The RE4 version.
Chris is boring.
Jill and Claire are just wardrobe & haircut swaps.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Maybe you should include an "other" option? I mean, there's more protags than just these four...

Anyway, for me, Jill>Leon>Chris>Claire.

I noticed this because I tend to not like Chris Redfield very much. Every time he shows up, I know I'm about to get an action heavy resident evil title, and those tend to be my least favorite. But even in RE 1, his most horror focused title, I found Jill's playthrough much more interesting.
Chris is kind of in a weird place for the series, at least in regards to RE1.

On one hand, I'd argue that Jill in RE1 (note that I'm referring to the remake) has the better story, in as much that I find Barry's plight more interesting than anything with Rebecca. On the other, Chris's path is arguably the 'true' story, in that this is meant to be the catalyst of his vendetta against Wesker (and vice versa). It's also much harder than Jill's, and you could argue that makes it 'truer' as well - Chris has to survive on his own, Jill keeps getting help from Barry.

Chris is arguably the closest the series has to a main protagonist, but going by the poll, he seems to be the least liked of the "big four."

This led me to wonder if I had a bias against him, or just the titles he was in.
Well, thing is, by my reckoning, Leon has been in more 'action titles' proportionally than Chris.

Confining this to core entries and excluding remakes, we have:

-Chris: RE1, CV, Revelations, 5, 6, 7 (4 horror, 2 action)

-Leon: RE2, 4, 6 (1 horror, 2 action)

I mean Leon, right? He's the only fun one, and yes he is BAD enough to save the President's daughter. Its like asking whose your favorite character in the Evil Dead series; Ash, the one lady, the dude, or the other one lady?
RE4 is the Army of Darkness of Resident Evil games - it can't be topped and shame on you for even thinking it!
I thought Army of Darkness was regarded as the weakpoint in the Evil Dead trilogy, whereas RE4 is widely regarded as being among the strongest entries?

Also, Leon isn't Ash in that analogy. Ask anyone who the main character of Evil Dead is, they'll say Ash. Ask anyone who the main character of RE is, and they'll probably ask whether the series even has a single main character. I'd argue that the closest the series has to one is Chris, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that Leon is singilarly the main character.

Leon "Bad Enough" Kennedy. The RE4 version.
Chris is boring.
Jill and Claire are just wardrobe & haircut swaps.
I don't think Claire and Jill are swaps of each other.

Fox alluded to the idea of a spectrum, and he's kind of on the money. On one end, we have Chris - the consumate soldier, driven by justice and whatnot. Claire is on the other end - she's the most 'normal' of the "big four," and in the games she's spotlighted in, she's reguarly shown to help people younger than she is, whether it be Sherry, Steve, or Moira. It's telling that of the "big four," she's the only one that isn't military.

Leon and Jill are somewhere in the middle. Jill is somewhere between Chris and Claire, because on one hand, she's also military and this is demonstrated, most recently in the RE3 remake, where her "supercop" status is repeatedly brought up. On the other, Jill is shown to have a compassionate side as well, most demonstrated in the original RE3, mainly through her interactions with Mikhail. And Leon? Well, Leon's probably changed the most, but in one sense, he stats off close to the realm of Claire and Jill (rookie cop, wants to make a difference), then goes through his action star role in RE4, and then becomes a bit more grizzled in RE6. Close to Chris, but not quite there.

Of course, I can't call any of these characters 'deep' per se, but I think we can identify some distinct traits.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Leon obviously. No explaination needed.

I have always had a soft spot for Claire though, probably because she's the most down-to-Earth of all the characters. I just wish Capcom would give her her due, which sounds strange since she stars in four entries, but it just never felt like they put the same amount of effort into her as they did with Leon, Jill, and Chris.

Jill I only ever liked because she had a nice look to her, but she definitely shot up as a character with RE3 Remake. I can't remember the last time characters in a Resident Evil game were entertaining. Oh wait, yes I can, it was RE4.

Chris is just guy with gun.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well seeing as the original RE2 and RE4 are the only two RE games that I've enjoyed enough to complete, that would mean Leon Kennedy is the best. No other reason than that really.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Leon of course, tho that is likely just due to association with RE4, which is my favorite in the series, honestly not because he stands out as a character. I can't really recall any defining characteristics for Leon that distinguishes him from the other protagonists that is not related to his appearance of occupation. In fact, I can't really do that for any RE protagonist save for Jill's "Master of Unlocking".

Mind you, I'm only very casually into RE. Only played RE4, RE5, REmake, Revelations and RE2make, most quite some years ago, so I'm at best a dabbler, not so much a fan.

Actually, if I take "how well do I remember them" as the benchmark for best characters, then Wesker and Salazar come out on top.

Reactions: BrawlMan

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Leon obviously. No explaination needed.

I have always had a soft spot for Claire though, probably because she's the most down-to-Earth of all the characters. I just wish Capcom would give her her due, which sounds strange since she stars in four entries, but it just never felt like they put the same amount of effort into her as they did with Leon, Jill, and Chris.

Jill I only ever liked because she had a nice look to her, but she definitely shot up as a character with RE3 Remake. I can't remember the last time characters in a Resident Evil game were entertaining. Oh wait, yes I can, it was RE4.

Chris is just guy with gun.
Claire's definitley been in some underwhelming titles. But i actually found her campaign in REmake 2 one of the highlights of the franchise.

This actually makes me wonder how long the big 4 can last. They must be nearing their 50s.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Claire's definitley been in some underwhelming titles. But i actually found her campaign in REmake 2 one of the highlights of the franchise.
I can't say I liked Claire, Leon, or Ada in the Remake. I mean, I like them because they're Claire, Leon, and Ada and I grew up on them, but these iterations of the characters just didn't really enamour me.

This actually makes me wonder how long the big 4 can last. They must be nearing their 50s.
It's already happening. Claire has this weird look in Revelations 2, because she's supposed to look older but not old and still hot.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
I can't say I liked Claire, Leon, or Ada in the Remake. I mean, I like them because they're Claire, Leon, and Ada and I grew up on them, but these iterations of the characters just didn't really enamour me.

It's already happening. Claire has this weird look in Revelations 2, because she's supposed to look older but not old and still hot.
It's getting a little sad. Let them settle down and have a family or something.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
They're all so interchangeable I can only judge them from the most insultingly shallow observations available. One had a dress once. One swore some times. None had a personality.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
As someone who's playing Rev 2 right now...yeah, sorry Claire, but your best years are behind you. And it's not my fault that Leon never went on that second date with you either.

But yeah, I've noticed this as well. Since the characters have aged in real time, if the RE series wants to keep moving on in the future (as in, always taking place in a real-world present), it'll need to sideline the big four eventually. Though you could always bring up younger characters - Sherry, Sheva, Jake, etc.

Oh please, Capcom's been teasing ChrisxJill since day 1, they're not going to do it now.

(ChrisxJill, LeonxAda FTW)

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
But what if that forgiveness was actually hiding something... more?

A love for a certain buffy, low IQ military man that spends his time punching rocks?

Oh chris, if only you would punch the boulder encapsulating my heart.
Having no father left Jake with no fatherly figure. Then he found Chris, and wanted to call him daddy.

That's still a better plot than Resi6, honestly.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't think Claire and Jill are swaps of each other.
You say so yourself that the differences between Jill and Claire are a matter of circumstance and professional background.
Personality-wise they're just "determined", which I refuse to consider a character trait for anyone. "Determined" just means you're in a videogame.
The reasons why anybody would prefer one over the other are either cosmetic or circumstantial.
In videogames "settle down" means the end of the characters.
I can't really recall any defining characteristics for Leon that distinguishes him from the other protagonists that is not related to his appearance of occupation.
Cool, cocky, cheeky, petty, brazen, impertinent, bit of a ladies man, tries too hard, likes to show off... at least in RE4.
Everyone before that is kind of a blank slate and victim to bad translation and spaced-out delivery.
Everyone AFTER is just generically broody and determined.
Basically RE4 is the only game with a personality.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
As someone who's playing Rev 2 right now...yeah, sorry Claire, but your best years are behind you. And it's not my fault that Leon never went on that second date with you either.

But yeah, I've noticed this as well. Since the characters have aged in real time, if the RE series wants to keep moving on in the future (as in, always taking place in a real-world present), it'll need to sideline the big four eventually. Though you could always bring up younger characters - Sherry, Sheva, Jake, etc.

Oh please, Capcom's been teasing ChrisxJill since day 1, they're not going to do it now.

(ChrisxJill, LeonxAda FTW)
Personally, I think Leon and Chris should settle down.