The Vaccine

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Lemme guess: the root canal's a good deal more expensive and there's a profit-motivated healthcare system in place?
Wasn't him that would get the money, he sent me on to a dental surgeon.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I'm exceptionally skeptical and distrustful of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, especially for the horrifically curtailed time frame for tech that basically has no longitudinal data on its long-term safety, but rather a handful of small clinicals here and there. Obviously nobody's getting Cronenberg'ed out of it and I doubt there'll be a massive Cutter labs style fuckup, but if ten years from now it comes out there's a strongly associated long-term increased risk of butthole cancer or something that was overlooked due to the fast tracking and/or covered up to get it to market, it'll be one for my personal "told ya so" book. I'll be waiting for attenuated virus vaccination, or at least the adenovirus carrier vaccine because it's proven tech, if I get a damn choice in the matter.

Pfizer in particular can fuck itself sideways.
We don't know long-term effects of this coronavirus either. So it's a "pick your poison" situation at worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I read it in a Dutch study about flu vaccination in children. I thought it was interesting but it seems it was never picked up on. You could compare that with covid in adults since we are also ''immunologically naive'' to that.
There are antibodies and there are T-cells, both of which can be primed to attack specific viruses.

What that paper is saying is that the 'flu vaccine is priming antibodies much more strongly than T-cells, which means that with consistent vaccination the individual tends not to build up as much T-cell reactivity to influenza. Specifically just influenza: it won't matter a damn to the T-cell reactivity to anything else. Other caveats are an extremely small sample size (27 non-vaccinated, 14 vaccinated) and that all the vaccinated children had cystic fibrosis, so it's not matching controls properly.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
As long as it goes alongside "your choice not to vaccinate, my choice not to let you into my house / shop / theatre / office / etc."
If the vaccine works, and you take it, aren't you immune to it now? Why not hang out with people that didn't take it? Could you become a carrier? Is that true of annual flu vaccines?

ITMT: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200504/--annual_covid-19-vaccine-may-be-necessary

Annual Covid vaccine may be necessary. I'm betting Bill Gates hopes so.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Lemme guess: the root canal's a good deal more expensive and there's a profit-motivated healthcare system in place?
Just after I went to uni, I needed emergency dental work. Couldn't get back to my old dentist from my schooldays, couldn't get an NHS dentist appointment fast enough, so went to a private dentist. They put in a temporary filling, and did a check up for good measure. They recommended an additional seven fillings, a crown, and three extractions. I was horrified. I took no further action for a few weeks until the end of term, went back to my old dentist for a second opinion. He told me I needed one filling.

He bluntly suggested the denstist in my university city had decided to make as much money out of a student as possible, given that I was likely to move on and not be a long-term customer. However, he put it more as the recommended work being, shall we say, cautious to an extreme rather than wholly unjustifiable.

In the two decades since then I have needed some extra work on the initial damaged tooth that prompted the emergency, two fillings, and one replacement filling: considerably less than half what that private dentist recommended.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If the vaccine works, and you take it, aren't you immune to it now? Why not hang out with people that didn't take it? Could you become a carrier? Is that true of annual flu vaccines?
Yes, you should be immune. It's a bit more complicated than that though. Effectively, any infection is a battle of how quickly the pathogen replicates against how quickly the immune system can kill the pathogen. So you might have reactivity to the virus, but if it's weak and you cop a substantial intital viral load, you may suffer symptoms. Probably less than you would if you'd had no reactivity at all, but still some. This is also why immunity can fade: over time the body produces less of the antibodies that respond to the virus.

This also means you can be a carrier even when "immune". Immunity more means that when infected, your immune system will kill it efficiently enough that you won't really suffer any symptoms. You are less likely to spread it, because the virus will not have the opportunity to replicate so much - it is after all a numbers game. Ten virus particles per unit volume is a damn sight less dangerous than 1000 virus particles per unit volume.

One of the arguments for masks is that even if it does not absolutely stop infection, simply reducing the viral load given to someone else is going to be beneficial. So if your mask catches 70-80% of the droplets from your breath, that's a notional 70-80% decrease in the amount of virus you'll give someone.

ITMT: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200504/--annual_covid-19-vaccine-may-be-necessary

Annual Covid vaccine may be necessary. I'm betting Bill Gates hopes so.
They'll be cheap. The Pfizer and Moderna ones are quite expensive, but over time the price will drop and more, cheaper alternatives will emerge. $5 per person for an annual shot is, in drug company or individual terms, worth almost nothing at all. You're paying more in nurse/doctor/etc. labour costs for the shot.

Compare that to (for instance) anticonvulsant medication, where ~1% of the population may be taking 1-3 drugs each costing $5-100 a week, every week. It's these sorts of chronic conditions where the big money is.

Reactions: gorfias

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
There are antibodies and there are T-cells, both of which can be primed to attack specific viruses.

What that paper is saying is that the 'flu vaccine is priming antibodies much more strongly than T-cells, which means that with consistent vaccination the individual tends not to build up as much T-cell reactivity to influenza. Specifically just influenza: it won't matter a damn to the T-cell reactivity to anything else. Other caveats are an extremely small sample size (27 non-vaccinated, 14 vaccinated) and that all the vaccinated children had cystic fibrosis, so it's not matching controls properly.
The thing is that an infection provokes a much more robust immune response than a vaccine, which is more beneficial for unknown viruses. I'm not saying that it's a reason not to take a vaccine, but you can argue if it's a good idea to vaccinate the entire population instead of just those at risk like with the flu vaccine. Espescially since covid19 most likely won't be the last novel respiratory virus. Other than bats and stressed chickens shitting on armadillos in cramped cages the chinese are probably throwing much more in their soup we have yet to know about.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
One of the arguments for masks is that even if it does not absolutely stop infection, simply reducing the viral load given to someone else is going to be beneficial. So if your mask catches 70-80% of the droplets from your breath, that's a notional 70-80% decrease in the amount of virus you'll give someone.
Outside a medical setting masks really have no proven benefit. The way people treat masks is also disgusting. Only distancing is an effective method but with a mask people feel 'safe' and no longer distance. So what's the point?

edit: not to mention bad for the environment. I see discarded masks everywhere on the street.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Outside a medical setting masks really have no proven benefit. The way people treat masks is also disgusting. Only distancing is an effective method but with a mask people feel 'safe' and no longer distance. So what's the point?
It's absolutely true that people like pretending that masks make them bullet proof, and it's infuriating. But wearing a mask has been proven to be better than not wearing one.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Because people are stupid; you are supposed to distance AND use a mask (where required) at the same time.

edit: not to mention bad for the environment. I see discarded masks everywhere on the street.
That is fucking awful on multiple levels.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Outside a medical setting masks really have no proven benefit.
Firstly, this is misleading. It's not practical to do a proper trial outside of a controlled setting, so of course there is no study precisely looking at most people's day to day use on th street. But the simple fact is that if they work in a medical setting, they'll work outside one, too. Not necessarily as well because the public will tend to be sloppier, but it's better than nothing. See for instance the video:

A fair amount of expelled vapour will be caught on the mask fabric, and it will also greatly reduce the distance of spread, both of which are plusses.

Only distancing is an effective method but with a mask people feel 'safe' and no longer distance. So what's the point?
Distancing has its own limitations, as anyone worried about the economy will know. Nor is it going to protect you from people breathing virus over door handles, supermarket shelves and produce, and tins (thus the recommendation for alcohol hand gel). Masks are at least likely to reduce a lot of that.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Firstly, this is misleading. It's not practical to do a proper trial outside of a controlled setting, so of course there is no study precisely looking at most people's day to day use on th street. But the simple fact is that if they work in a medical setting, they'll work outside one, too. Not necessarily as well because the public will tend to be sloppier, but it's better than nothing. See for instance the video:

A fair amount of expelled vapour will be caught on the mask fabric, and it will also greatly reduce the distance of spread, both of which are plusses.
Plenty of studies show no proven benefit. They did a meta study on mask wearing during the SARS outbreak and even the medical masks had marginal effects in preventing transmission.

Distancing has its own limitations, as anyone worried about the economy will know. Nor is it going to protect you from people breathing virus over door handles, supermarket shelves and produce, and tins (thus the recommendation for alcohol hand gel). Masks are at least likely to reduce a lot of that.
How so? People touch dirty surfaces with their hands and then put on a mask, touch their face or even mouth? Just breathing in the bacteria. Many people are pretty gross by default. A mask isn't going to change that. Take for example the huge amount of poop bacteria found in restaurants when they take food samples. People breathing virus on objects that a mask will somehow prevent als sounds pretty far fetched.

Hand gel I understand. But covid infections from dirty surfaces are also extremely rare.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The thing is that an infection provokes a much more robust immune response than a vaccine,
It's not that simple.

which is more beneficial for unknown viruses.
Immune responses are specific to specific pathogens. If you are infected by a closely related pathogen sufficiently similiar to the one you are immune against, it may convey some degree of protection. But it is going to give you substantially no advantage whatsoever against a different pathogen. The average coronavirus immunity is no help against a rhinovirus, and frankly won't even help much against most other coronaviruses.

I'm not saying that it's a reason not to take a vaccine, but you can argue if it's a good idea to vaccinate the entire population instead of just those at risk like with the flu vaccine. Espescially since covid19 most likely won't be the last novel respiratory virus. Other than bats and stressed chickens shitting on armadillos in cramped cages the chinese are probably throwing much more in their soup we have yet to know about.
I suspect in the long run vaccination will wind down - it just needs to be knocked on the head in the short term to prevent chaos. SARS-CoV-2 is already endemic, and will remain so. It'll continue to rattle around our populations at low levels forever - the plus is that it means at any one time most are likely to have some immunity. Basically, SARS-CoV-2 is effectively just going to become another sort of influenza-like illness, affecting a modest proportion of the population annually, with limited mortality. They may well continue vaccinating against it along with 'flu for vulnerable groups, but once the current mess is over, I'm highly skeptical they'll bother with the general populace.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Plenty of studies show no proven benefit.
The quantity and quality of studies point to the fact they do work, which informs scientific consensus and why top science journals publish articles saying they work.

The main reason people latch onto the opposite view is because:
a) they don't want to have to bother wearing a mask and know people won't accept that "I don't want to" as a good enough reason
b) some prominent arseholes turned it into a political issue, and the partisan peanut gallery leapt in to blindly support their great leader
c) conspiracy theory and paranoia

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's not that simple.

Immune responses are specific to specific pathogens. If you are infected by a closely related pathogen sufficiently similiar to the one you are immune against, it may convey some degree of protection. But it is going to give you substantially no advantage whatsoever against a different pathogen. The average coronavirus immunity is no help against a rhinovirus, and frankly won't even help much against most other coronaviruses.
Isn't there indication that the response time of T cells is quicker after infection than vaccination. Obviously not pathogen specific antibodies but infection does seem to increase immune alertness in general.

Also how much have eradication of pathogens contributed to auto-immune diseases in the developed world? It seems absence of infection could also lead to the immune system turning against itself. Like an army that has nothing to do.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The quantity and quality of studies point to the fact they do work, which informs scientific consensus and why top science journals publish articles saying they work.

The main reason people latch onto the opposite view is because:
a) they don't want to have to bother wearing a mask and know people won't accept that "I don't want to" as a good enough reason
b) some prominent arseholes turned it into a political issue, and the partisan peanut gallery leapt in to blindly support their great leader
c) conspiracy theory and paranoia
This meta study shows they don't have an effect.

RESULTS We included 15 randomised trials investigating the effect of masks (14 trials) in healthcare workers and the general population and of quarantine (1 trial). We found no trials testing eye protection. Compared to no masks there was no reduction of influenza-like illness (ILI) cases (Risk Ratio 0.93, 95%CI 0.83 to 1.05) or influenza (Risk Ratio 0.84, 95%CI 0.61-1.17) for masks in the general population, nor in healthcare workers (Risk Ratio 0.37, 95%CI 0.05 to 2.50). There was no difference between surgical masks and N95 respirators: for ILI (Risk Ratio 0.83, 95%CI 0.63 to 1.08), for influenza (Risk Ratio 1.02, 95%CI 0.73 to 1.43).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

RESULTS We included 15 randomised trials investigating the effect of masks (14 trials) in healthcare workers and the general population and of quarantine (1 trial). We found no trials testing eye protection. Compared to no masks there was no reduction of influenza-like illness (ILI) cases (Risk Ratio 0.93, 95%CI 0.83 to 1.05) or influenza (Risk Ratio 0.84, 95%CI 0.61-1.17) for masks in the general population, nor in healthcare workers (Risk Ratio 0.37, 95%CI 0.05 to 2.50). There was no difference between surgical masks and N95 respirators: for ILI (Risk Ratio 0.83, 95%CI 0.63 to 1.08), for influenza (Risk Ratio 1.02, 95%CI 0.73 to 1.43).
I see you've missed out the very next section;

CONCLUSIONS Most included trials had poor design, reporting and sparse events. There was insufficient evidence to provide a recommendation on the use of facial barriers without other measures. We found insufficient evidence for a difference between surgical masks and N95 respirators and limited evidence to support effectiveness of quarantine. Based on observational evidence from the previous SARS epidemic included in the previous version of our Cochrane review we recommend the use of masks combined with other measures.

In short, it was a meta-study of trials they recognised as flawed and poor, and their expert opinion based on the weight of evidence supports the use of masks.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Firstly, take a read of their conclusions a lot more carefully. This meta-analysis doesn't actually say what you think it does.

Secondly, what about all the other studies? We can all cherry pick supporting evidence to backup what we already believe, but that's not how science works. The trick is to read all the evidence, and then see what the evidence points to being most likely.