Less is More, it seems. FROM's Elden Ring drives up hype without lifting a finger

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Some of you may be aware that Elden Ring won the most anticipated game of the year at the game Awards a few days ago and if you've been the Elden Ring subbreddit lately, you'll probably know that those poor people are starved for news of any sort, to the point they've started making their own bosses and lore for the game in absence of anything to chew on.

This is all for a game from a well regarded Studio that's released all of a single 2 and half minute trailer that is not only merely cinematic(with no gameplay), but is vague enough that people have been picking over it trying to figure out what the game is actually about. That dropped over a year and a half ago and there's been a little bit of information since there, a brief outline of what the game is supposed to have.

Apparently there are leakers who claim to have inside knowledge of the game but there's no way to verify if they're correct or not right now, and the most concrete thing we've gotten is the XBOX "boss" Phil Spencer said he's played some of it and "It's Miyazaki's most ambitious game" which means it's still in development.

It's kinda of amazing to compare this to Cyberpunk which has been incredibly hyped but that's also because we've been getting Trailers and Keanu went on stage and said "Cyberpunk" a couple times and CDPr has been heavily showcasing this whenever it can, to the point other games were moving their release dates just to get out of the way

Also, one has to wonder what FROM's Marketing department does all day. Clock in, Have a 5 min meeting and then take an early lunch before going home?

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I was curious to see if the hype would die down a little after Game of Thrones ended and was apparently so bad that people are trying to collectively forget that Game of Thrones was actually a thing.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Probably multiple things. They are tackling a new genre(or atleast something they have no experience in, a semi open-world game). They don't want it to look like Dark Souls 4. And the game would probably run much better on new consoles but they are stuck with multigenerational ports. Lots of challenges from both the artistic and technical side.

They probably teased it a bit too early. There wasn't even really any need just a few months after the release of Sekiro. So it's safe to say From's initial planning for Elden Ring didn't really turned out as intended. Whatever the reason for that is.

I'm sure the game will be incredible though. From isn't one to make false promises, espescially under Miyazaki's leadership. Just gotta be patient. xD

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
They have all their other games do the marketing for it so it doesn't need to have marketing done for it in particular. Stuff like the new edition for Sekiro and Demon's Souls getting a ps5 remake is all you need to keep the hype train going, not to forget all the older games which people do still play to this day.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
They have all their other games do the marketing for it so it doesn't need to have marketing done for it in particular. Stuff like the new edition for Sekiro and Demon's Souls getting a ps5 remake is all you need to keep the hype train going, not to forget all the older games which people do still play to this day.
True. Sekiro came out last year and now we have the Demons Soul Remake, which a lot of people didn't play the first time for any number of reasons or are replaying in it's HD glory. Not to mention none of these games are short and I know a lot of Souls fans will replay the games over and over and over again(NG++++++) so there's more then enough to tide people over. Not to mention Sekiro got an update with new features and such.

I'm sure Elden Ring will be a lot of fun but I can wait as long as it takes. I'm still working on Dark Souls 3(about ready to tackle the DLC and the endgame optional areas) for the first time and I still haven't beaten Demons Souls(and someday I plan to get a PS5 and play the remake, which might happen before I get myself back into the original.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Sometimes it feels like Elden Ring was a fever dream and the trailer never happened in reality. Was it even real?

While I'm not a big fan of the Soul series, only observing it through outside of the fandom, even I'm curious about this game. It really feels like people are thirsty for this game because we just don't know. I'm sure they're working hard on it and it will be good.

Just please don't be another Cyberpunk 2077 situation

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The subreddit forum has no one to blame but themselves for hyping themselves up too much for it. especially when he boils down to making up your own bosses and lore that you know don't even exist. I don't buy much in the hype anyway, so they can have it. But they shouldn't be that shocked, disappointed, for surprise that they don't get the Earth, Moon, and Sun. And if you want the Sun, you're going to have to kill Mika for it. A gold star for anyone that gets that last sentence.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So do we actually know anything about this 'Elden Ring' or is it as elusive as 'Bayonetta 3'?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It won't even be a game when it's released. It'll just be a few cryptic notes in a folder and a low-effort meme to keep the community busy for the next couple of decades chasing wild geese while making livings out of "lore" youtube videos. It'll be the new qanon.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There's a trailer.

That's about 90% of what we've got so far.
So pretty much jack and shit aside from it existing. Welp, they pulled that with Sekiro also, so we will get more info at some point.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So pretty much jack and shit aside from it existing. Welp, they pulled that with Sekiro also, so we will get more info at some point.
Yeah, that's why I'm not on the hype train. Based on their Soulsborne/Sekiro game I'm sure I'll enjoy it but there's nothing to Elden Ring right now other then a bunch of cinematics that don't tell us anything and half that shit might not be in the game when it's actually out. It wouldn't be the first time a trailer had shit that wasn't in the game, or cut in such a way to give a different impression.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, that's why I'm not on the hype train. Based on their Soulsborne/Sekiro game I'm sure I'll enjoy it but there's nothing to Elden Ring right now other then a bunch of cinematics that don't tell us anything and half that shit might not be in the game when it's actually out. It wouldn't be the first time a trailer had shit that wasn't in the game, or cut in such a way to give a different impression.
I mean I can understand hype if its an existing IP... I guess I kinda get it since it is 'From Software' and they are on a hot streak, but it still seems silly to do when we don't have any idea what kinda game it is yet.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Apparently someone with inside ties to the studio’s inner workings said the game is really close to done already.

So much to check off my backlog yet though personally, so they can take as much time as needed to polish. I’m also not sure if they’re doing anything special with the DualSense...otherwise I’d probably get this for PC. In either case I think I’ll be late to the party again, as I have with all their titles except Sekiro. Ironically that’s the only one I haven’t finished yet. I’m probably close to half way done, but am waiting until I can give my full gaming attention to it like the others.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Apparently someone with inside ties to the studio’s inner workings said the game is really close to done already.

So much to check off my backlog yet though personally, so they can take as much time as needed to polish. I’m also not sure if they’re doing anything special with the DualSense...otherwise I’d probably get this for PC. In either case I think I’ll be late to the party again, as I have with all their titles except Sekiro. Ironically that’s the only one I haven’t finished yet. I’m probably close to half way done, but am waiting until I can give my full gaming attention to it like the others.
I've seen that but right now I'm filing that under "Rumor until proven otherwise", especially due to people being so sure Elden ring is going to get updates at <Insert upcoming event here> .

I hope it's true but until either FROM or Bandi Namco announce something it's speculation and gossip as far as I'm concerned.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I mean I can understand hype if its an existing IP... I guess I kinda get it since it is 'From Software' and they are on a hot streak, but it still seems silly to do when we don't have any idea what kinda game it is yet.
BLOODBORNE 2, CONFIRMED! :)

Pretty much because it's a FROM game and right now if you like what they do, you'll probably like whatever the new title/IP is.

And let's be honest, It'll likely be another Soulsbornekiro type game, because that's what they're good at now.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Studio's are only ever as good as their last game.

FromSoft's last game was Sekiro and that was a fantastic game. Built further upon the track record. From is on a great streak and since Demon's Souls, they haven't released a bad game. So when they announced a new title, of course people are hyped about it because of the greatness of the last few years.

That's the same reason Cyberpunk 2077 was so hyped. It wasn't because of the setting, or the fact that it would be a FPS-RPG or any of that. They were hyped because The Witcher 3 was incredible and showed that CDPR really knew how to make interesting RPG dialog and choices matter in an open world RPG setting. So thus the hype for Cyberpunk was going to be incredible. The hype for CDPR's next game will be nowhere near the same level as Cyberpunk has dealt a big blow to them, regardless of what the sales numbers show. They will have to be very careful of their next release.

Now turn around and look at Bethesda.....after Fallout 76, is anyone going to be super excited for whatever piece of shit falls out of that company's ass next?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
BLOODBORNE 2, CONFIRMED! :)

Pretty much because it's a FROM game and right now if you like what they do, you'll probably like whatever the new title/IP is.

And let's be honest, It'll likely be another Soulsbornekiro type game, because that's what they're good at now.
If it comes to steam I'll have more hype but the last bloodborne still hasn't. Heard rumors it will but nothing solidly confirmed yet.