A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I dunno and I don’t care. Your argument still sucks ass as your obsession with “flyover” agriculture ignores the massive agricultural centers outside of the Midwest and agriculture still isn’t votes. We also need other resources than food, like wood, oil, fish, ports, etc., y’know, other things that the most disproportionately affected state by the electoral college has in abundance.
I dunno you might quickly find cutting states along the lines of who they voted for would deprive people of some things they might well need to sustain the infrastructure of the larger costal areas etc.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I dunno you might quickly find cutting states along the lines of who they voted for would deprive people of some things they might well need to sustain the infrastructure of the larger costal areas etc.
I don’t even believe in nations or borders, let alone the Balkanization thereof. Like, Christ, how many times do I have to explicitly tell you that?

Reactions: Kae

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
...and the ability to sustain the infrastructure of rural areas. Capitalism, lean structuring, and the almighty dollar has rendered most "flyover states" incapable of self-sufficiency. Interstate commerce is really fucking important, doubly so when you don't have, you know, a fucking port. The ability to conduct international trade at scale turns out to be critical enough to fight wars over, go figure.

This is why people who live on postage stamps probably shouldn't opine on rural areas too much.

Reactions: Revnak

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
...and the ability to sustain the infrastructure of rural areas. Capitalism, lean structuring, and the almighty dollar has rendered most "flyover states" incapable of self-sufficiency. Interstate commerce is really fucking important, doubly so when you don't have, you know, a fucking port. The ability to conduct international trade at scale turns out to be critical enough to fight wars over, go figure.

This is why people who live on postage stamps probably shouldn't opine on rural areas too much.
I dunno you might find they have a lot of facilities to spare that could be put to use.

Also You can keep telling me but it's like I keep having to remind you and others here of things I've said again and again.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Why do people assume that splitting off the US would somehow require the results to be autark ? Other nations are able and very willing to trade with each other. And the same thing would happen in that theoretical scenario.

Take a look at ...hmmm... former Czechoslovakia for such a peaceful split.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I don’t even believe in nations or borders, let alone the Balkanization thereof. Like, Christ, how many times do I have to explicitly tell you that?
Then why did you decided to join this argument then if you have 0 interest in this area?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Why do people assume that splitting off the US would somehow require the results to be autark ? Other nations are able and very willing to trade with each other. And the same thing would happen in that theoretical scenario.

Lol It's so bitter at this stage there would be no trade. Other than insults and a few bottles over the dividing lines.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I dunno you might find they have a lot of facilities to spare that could be put to use.

Also You can keep telling me but it's like I keep having to remind you and others here of things I've said again and again.
I fucking live here.
We don't.
Stop talking about shit you do not know.

Like, do you have the basic understanding of why industry is built near ports? Have you played literally any 4x game at any point in your life?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

The UK leaving the EU is causing all sorts of trade problems, though (well, for the UK, but it's slightly inconveniencing the French, which makes it all worthwhile). Splitting the US (yeah, don't do that), might not end trade across what are now states, but it would massively complicate things.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The UK leaving the EU is causing all sorts of trade problems, though (well, for the UK, but it's slightly inconveniencing the French, which makes it all worthwhile). Splitting the US (yeah, don't do that), might not end trade across what are now states, but it would massively complicate things.
Not least of which is that states are so spiderwebbed with roads and trails that any attempt at national border protection would be laughable. Imagine trying to secure a state the size of Germany with an 80th of the population

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
of?

I fucking live here.
We don't.
Stop talking about shit you do not know.

Like, do you have the basic understanding of why industry is built near ports? Have you played literally any 4x game at any point in your life?
yes, guess what happens when you no longer have ports and have a fairly central land mass to work with?

We'll stop annoying the French when they stop attacking our fishing boats and causing us to have to send the navy out to stop the conflicts.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
yes, guess what happens when you no longer have ports and have a fairly central land mass to work with?
You get reamed in trade deals by wealthier neighbors with trade access and industrial zones.
Or you start a war to gain coastal access against wealthier neighbors who have a population, technological, and industrial advantage against you.

This has been a fascinating insight into the kind of thinking that caused a brexit. Sort your shit out on your postage stamp before trying to advise a rural area.

Reactions: Satinavian

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

As I watched, bewildered that this was even a possibility, I decided to read the comment section to get... some sort of gauge of where we are now.

Then I came across a sentiment that seemed to make things worse.

"The Left Pushed Us Too Far"

In and of itself, a common sentiment of this day and age. But I was wading through a ton of "OH, THIS IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE BLM PROTESTS".

And in my heart, I felt that spark of radicalization that I had to snuff out right quick.

The protesters and rioters (two different people of the same party, and it's important to stress that) of January 6th had the feeling that their duly elected President was stolen from them. I don't agree he was duly elected, but I know they believe that. But due to that, some extreme members of that fringe element was going as far as preparing to restrain whoever they came across. And... I'm seriously hoping the new 'hanging' angle is conjecture.

Now don't get me wrong, it's a grievous thing to feel robbed of what you chose. I can easily say it's a grievous thing because such a thing happens to Blacks often. Gerrymandering is not only common, but often held up by Supreme Court. That speaks nothing of Voter Suppression, Gangs of people that intimidate, and closing down district voting stations just to make it harder to process and tally all the votes.

And let's not forget good ole fashion Purges.

And that's just elections. Redlining is still as present as ever. Education is still unequal. And even with the same level of education, studies show it's more likely that a white person will have a better job than compared to a black or brown person. Police Brutality, etc.

And every time I pointed out the actual life I led... here comes some person from the majority who didn't live it, so helpful to tell me it's not true or not that bad. Do you have any idea how infuriating that is?

We're told not to complain, just to try harder, and that these are all just 'made up things to excuse your lives'. We're not allowed to protest in a non-violent way because it is unseemly to the majority that we'd complain about anything. We're not allowed to voice dissent because the majority doesn't want to accept it or believe it. And when enough is enough, that same majority feigns outrage that we just don't silently protest even though they weren't even listening to that.

And in an instant, it all clicked. And I was ready to take the cause to another level. If you want to see what pushed too far feels like, I have generations of that built into my very blood. I can lead a Master Class. I looked at Generations of my family's lives, my people's lives in this country, and others ignore that for One Summer of
"Enough is Enough"?! I never supported violence when trying to get out a message, but I finally saw why people felt it was the only logical step.

Because talking sure doesn't do anything but give the majority an easy chance to ignore you.

This is not just a info dump. This is actually me being terrified. For a brief second, I found the door to my own radicalization through a youtube clip and a comment following it. All of the injustices I felt, that my family felt, that has been documented and ignored by this country since we were taken to it. And I wanted to fight. For a second, logic left and rage was the only reasonable choice.

It really is that easy to be swayed. It can happen to anyone. And we alone must choose every day to be logical, thinking members of an unified society.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Eh. At this point I'd totally support building "the wall" across the Mason-Dixon line.
honestly it would just be easier to build walls around cities to separate them from the rural folk. Every state is pretty much the same, islands of deep blue islands surrounded by endless fields of blood red rural.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
honestly it would just be easier to build walls around cities to separate them from the rural folk. Every state is pretty much the same, islands of deep blue islands surrounded by endless fields of blood red rural.
Pretty much. Atlanta, Kansas City, New Orleans, etc are just as "blue" as Chicago and New York. They simply don't have the same population is all.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You get reamed in trade deals by wealthier neighbors with trade access and industrial zones.
Or you start a war to gain coastal access against wealthier neighbors who have a population, technological, and industrial advantage against you.

This has been a fascinating insight into the kind of thinking that caused a brexit. Sort your shit out on your postage stamp before trying to advise a rural area.
You realise with decent transport infrastructure you can better utilise inland areas right?

No, no you will not. Not now, not ever. I think there's a document somewhere in the UK Foreign Office that has been preserved from at least Crecy that reads "Fuck the Frogs whenever possible"
True. though the policy seems to be very mutual on the French's part.

Please do.

Then the world can watch the madness of The Hunger Games play out in real life and all the city folk being very shocked.