Rep. Mike Nearman helps right-wing demonstrators breach Oregon Capitol

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

So, here's the thing that really bothers me. Has anyone heard about this? Anyone at all?

I'm wondering how many other skirmishes we have no idea about. I guess Mainstream Media really does have a slant...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I had heard about it but that was on The Twitter rather than news. But in the news defense, I don't watch the news so if this came up on there, I wouldn't have seen it...

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Look'a like a recent exclusive...

Security video obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive under a public records request clearly shows Rep. Mike Nearman, a Republican from Independence, open two doors to the Capitol during a Dec. 21 special legislative session, allowing violent demonstrators who were protesting immediately outside the door to illegally enter the building.

Oregon’s Capitol was and is closed to the public due to the pandemic, although journalists are allowed inside to report on proceedings and the meetings are streamed live and archived online.

The demonstrators, many of whom were unmasked and some of whom carried rifles, objected to the state’s coronavirus restrictions and sought to disrupt the session underway. State troopers and Salem police ultimately prevented them from entering the building’s rotunda or reaching the House or Senate chambers, but not before some of the rioters allegedly sprayed six troopers with a chemical substance that was reportedly pepper spray. The video shows spray being deployed.

Some demonstrators physically attacked journalists who were reporting on the event. At least one person was arrested after trying to enter the Capitol by breaking the window in a door. People also gained entrance without breaking in — and this security footage shows exactly how.

At least two people have so far been arrested on charges related to the breach on the morning of Dec. 21.

House Speaker Tina Kotek said on Thursday that legislative leaders were exploring how they could sanction any lawmaker who aided rioters in forcing their way into the Capitol on Dec. 21. Oregon State Police are investigating the incident, she said.

House Republicans never responded to a request for comment on the incident Thursday.

— Hillary Borrud

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Well, this much was certainly assumed from here, but it's validating to see undeniable video evidence for once. The full force of the law should soon come crashing down on this literal proven traitor of democracy (not a meaningless conservative buzzword at last!) any moment now, right? ...r...ight?

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I had heard about it but that was on The Twitter rather than news. But in the news defense, I don't watch the news so if this came up on there, I wouldn't have seen it...
I troll the News sites often and I didn't see a word of this until it randomly appeared in my Youtube feed.

Literally, I didn't even know Oregon's capitol had any issue. I'm wondering what else we do not know.

We couldn't drive past a car without hearing that radio play some news about the Summer Protests. And I get it. It was the biggest display of Black Solidarity that ever occurred. But with the constant news cycle came constant scrutiny. Each side could pick what they wanted to hold onto. The damage caused by the rioters and looters, or how the peaceful protesters were assaulted unwarranted by the police.

But an actual attempt of a Siege on a State's Capitol, where the police apparently got over run (don't know what happened after) and was AIDED by a Representative?! How is this not what we all have been talking about up until this time?! This happened December 21st 2020!

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
But an actual attempt of a Siege on a State's Capitol, where the police apparently got over run (don't know what happened after) and was AIDED by a Representative?! How is this not what we all have been talking about up until this time?! This happened December 21st 2020!
Probably because nothing of consequence happened.

Kind of like this Siege on a Senate building in DC:

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I troll the News sites often and I didn't see a word of this until it randomly appeared in my Youtube feed.

Literally, I didn't even know Oregon's capitol had any issue. I'm wondering what else we do not know.

We couldn't drive past a car without hearing that radio play some news about the Summer Protests. And I get it. It was the biggest display of Black Solidarity that ever occurred. But with the constant news cycle came constant scrutiny. Each side could pick what they wanted to hold onto. The damage caused by the rioters and looters, or how the peaceful protesters were assaulted unwarranted by the police.

This is why you don't rely on centrist news outlets.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

Legislative leaders say that state Rep. Mike Nearman, a Republican from Independence, is under criminal investigation for his alleged part in allowing anti-lockdown demonstrators to enter the closed Capitol in Salem during a Dec. 21 special session.

House Speaker Tina Kotek, D-Portland, made the disclosure Thursday, Jan. 7, during a briefing on how the Legislature will conduct its 2021 session amid the continuing coronavirus pandemic and protests.

"Oregon State Police has confirmed and informed us that Rep. Mike Nearman did open a door to allow demonstrators to enter the building," Kotek said during the briefing, which she conducted with Senate President Peter Courtney, D-Salem. "This is a serious, serious breach of public trust. His actions put legislators, staff and law enforcement in danger. In fact, law enforcement officers were hurt when demonstrators came into the building."

Five men were arrested, one of them surrendering to police six days after the session. Police are seeking the identity of another man.

Among the potential legislative actions are a separate investigation by the House Committee on Conduct, which has equal numbers of members from each party, and Nearman's loss of House committee assignments. The latter step, which Kotek can take herself, would leave Nearman little ability to weigh in on shaping legislation, other than his votes in the full House.

Kotek compared what happened in Salem Dec. 21 to the violent invasion Wednesday, Jan. 6, by supporters of President Donald Trump into the U.S. Capitol, where Congress was conducting a final tally of state electoral votes that confirmed the victory of Democrat Joe Biden for president.

"Legislative members and staff felt terrorized by the incursion, particularly those who are members of color, because their rhetoric was out of the Trump playbook and very much caters to white supremacists' motivations. People were very much upset by that entry into the building by the demonstrators," she said. "Rep. Nearman's actions were completely unacceptable. It is serious and reckless endangerment."

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I guess it's considered 'local news', and the crowd was estimated as 100-200 people, so it doesn't get picked up as a national story.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Like Tippy, yes, but not from the news.
I don't own a twitter account. Or Instagram. Or any social media thing, really.

Score one for social media, then.

A mob forcing its way into a State Capitol isn't Current Events-worthy, though?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Apparently these people are also pulling shit on flights.

Reactions: Dalisclock

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I don't own a twitter account. Or Instagram. Or any social media thing, really.

Score one for social media, then.

A mob forcing its way into a State Capitol isn't Current Events-worthy, though?
Don't have to have one to use the service, you just won't be able to talk back, which admittedly there is little point to talking on Twitter.

And you would think, but you would have to devote time to that and not talking about Trump.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This does not surprise me, after hearing the shenanigans that 3%er pull in those two state. They've been interfering with legislatures for a LONG time and makes Michigan protestors look nice

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, not heard that song for aaages.

Unfortunately, not particularly distressed at hearing it now, so I don't think that worked.