Let us reflect on the Trump years

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Americans should likely reflect on this similarly as how the Romans reflected on Nero and Caligula. As something exclusively bad, full of insanity and which shouldn't be replicated again.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
If the conditions that brought about the Trump presidency are not addressed, another right wing populist will rise to fill the role. People storming Capitol Hill isn't merely an act of spontaneous rebellion. It is something that has been boiling for decades.

If you act like the liberals and think just cuz Trump's gone it's all going "back to normal" (and even if it is, what an abysmal normal that is), get ready for round 2.
Yeah thats my worry. The Dems aren't going to understand and repeat the same mistakes. Now is the good time for an actual positive populist. Because Donald wasn't one to begin with.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Hawley, Cruz and Pompeo have already put down markers for their 2024 campaigns on a Trumpist platform.
I kinda think Donald somewhat shattered the party. Most of his followers won't vote unless he is on the ballot, or they think the vote will automatically be rigged.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah thats my worry. The Dems aren't going to understand and repeat the same mistakes. Now is the good time for an actual positive populist. Because Donald wasn't one to begin with.
Fuck populism, its a garbage ideology that brings out the worst no matter what side it is.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
So, my question to everyone else... when did the world start wanting a Donald Trump to begin with?
Because the liberal status quo isn't necessarily giving people what they want and need. So people turn into the opposite extreme thinking it will magically solve all their problems.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Perhaps an actual charismatic progressive candidate can run as a Republican. Donald just showed how easy it is to hijack the platform by being a RINO. Most muricans believe the Republican party comes from God, so you can do whatever you want and voters will just accept it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I mean he's not going away, and Trump Jr is now the front runner for the 2024 ticket. The Trumps have entered into American politics and won't be leaving for decades if not longer.
They said the same thing about Jeb Bush. None of trumps family has the same weird loan shark charisma. While it would be a mistake to just disregard them, its also pretty unlikely they will achieve the same level of dumb cult.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I kinda think Donald somewhat shattered the party. Most of his followers won't vote unless he is on the ballot, or they think the vote will automatically be rigged.
Oh, they will vote.

Elections bring out insanity. The main form of insanity are the people who have witnessed president after president from the opposite party lead the USA for 4-8 years and leave it much as they found it, and yet go into every election thinking the next one from the opposition is the fascist/communist who's going to finally destroy America.

They can rage and ***** and moan, but in the end they'll get sucked in and zealously spout the same old crap again in support of whichever turd got the nod that time.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
They said the same thing about Jeb Bush. None of trumps family has the same weird loan shark charisma. While it would be a mistake to just disregard them, its also pretty unlikely they will achieve the same level of dumb cult.
The difference is Republicans know how popular Trump is with the base, and the name itself carries a lot of weight. If GOP leaders think just running Trump Jr or Ivanka(who is almost certainly going to run for office in Florida and win and most likely be president in 12 years) they can churn up enough support they absolutely will run them. Never under estimate how stupid the Trump supporters are, and how easily they're controlled.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The difference is Republicans know how popular Trump is with the base, and the name itself carries a lot of weight. If GOP leaders think just running Trump Jr or Ivanka(who is almost certainly going to run for office in Florida and win and most likely be president in 12 years) they can churn up enough support they absolutely will run them. Never under estimate how stupid the Trump supporters are, and how easily they're controlled.
Thats the thing though, the Bush family had the same level with republicans till trump stole their lunch and even insulted Bush Jr. The republicans might seem like they have a golden calf but they are quick to throw out anything that doesn't work for them. At the moment we are in a weird in-between where trumps name might or might not become a liability for them, it kinda seems like its angling at will become one and then they will be more then happy to toss him and his weird family to the curb. Really the next mid terms will determine what they back, if trumples win then his name will still have meaning, if republicans gain seats but not the trumple ones then they will try and shove his name into the closet and forget he exists, if they lose seats then they will do that even faster.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Thats the thing though, the Bush family had the same level with republicans till trump stole their lunch and even insulted Bush Jr. The republicans might seem like they have a golden calf but they are quick to throw out anything that doesn't work for them. At the moment we are in a weird in-between where trumps name might or might not become a liability for them, it kinda seems like its angling at will become one and then they will be more then happy to toss him and his weird family to the curb. Really the next mid terms will determine what they back, if trumples win then his name will still have meaning, if republicans gain seats but not the trumple ones then they will try and shove his name into the closet and forget he exists, if they lose seats then they will do that even faster.
See I disagree. The Bush family can't hold a candle to the Trumps went it comes to rabid, cultish loyalty. People didn't storm the capital and kill an officer to keep Bush in the race. People didn't organize a massive intelligence campaign to throw doubt onto the election in a bid to overthrow the democracy for Jeb. The loyalty the Republican base have for Trump is on full display. They will literally kill, die and destroy the nation for him. That level of loyalty to Donald, and the Trump family in general doesn't just go away in 24hrs.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I definitely won't miss the folks on the right who insisted the fears of Trump were just "derangement syndrome" rather than obviously legitimate concerns that were fully validated on a number of occasions, most notably Jan. 6.
Like how people can point to 9/11 in order to justify their "concerns" with Muslims?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
See I disagree. The Bush family can't hold a candle to the Trumps went it comes to rabid, cultish loyalty. People didn't storm the capital and kill an officer to keep Bush in the race. People didn't organize a massive intelligence campaign to throw doubt onto the election in a bid to overthrow the democracy for Jeb. The loyalty the Republican base have for Trump is on full display. They will literally kill, die and destroy the nation for him. That level of loyalty to Donald, and the Trump family in general doesn't just go away in 24hrs.
If only we got comrade Jeb.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I definitely won't miss the folks on the right who insisted the fears of Trump were just "derangement syndrome" rather than obviously legitimate concerns that were fully validated on a number of occasions, most notably Jan. 6.
One group of people having a delusions about Trump being a pedophile-fighting superhero does not validate other people's delusions that he's Hitler 2.0. And those two groups of people continue to feed one another.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
One group of people having a delusions about Trump being a pedophile-fighting superhero does not validate other people's delusions that he's Hitler 2.0. And those two groups of people continue to feed one another.
You're right, the people having delusions about Trump being a superhero don't validate the other's who think he's Hitler 2.0. Trump's own words and actions validate that just fine.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
True but I think you are overestimating really want it takes for a disinformation campaign like this. We haven't really had a politician just try blatant lying about everything before and trying to just while he does have a big rabid fanbase, I get the feeling a lot of them, including the people who stormed the capital didn't really understand what they were doing and that it was even a crime. We already see the turtle trying to distance the republican party from trump, if hes willing to possible stick out losing the mid terms then they can probably do away with the trump name.