The stars at night are real bright when there's no light deep in the heart of Texas.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Surprised no one burned his house down while he was gone. You know, for warmth.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Texas governor reaches out for federal assistance... you can't script this shit. I'd cite the prodigal son parable, but rest assured, when it's warm again, we'll be right back to being "the greatest state in the union" again.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Texas governor reaches out for federal assistance... you can't script this shit.
And approved by Biden. Not that he shouldn't have. He is president of all Americans after all, even shitty ones who erthwhile did not acknowledge him as such, tho that last bit was seemingly quickly forgotten when the time came to hold out their hand.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You know, with the reputation Texans have, I'll be interested in seeing how they react to their government's shenanigans when it's all over.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Priorities. Save the lives of the poor or stroke the egos of the rich?
Well, those buildings happen to be on the same tier 1 grid section as emergency services, they can't just cut power to those buildings without losing emergency services. I've been lucky and since I live near an old folks home I am on tier 2 and haven't lost power during the whole thing either.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Well, those buildings happen to be on the same tier 1 grid section as emergency services, they can't just cut power to those buildings without losing emergency services. I've been lucky and since I live near an old folks home I am on tier 2 and haven't lost power during the whole thing either.
Oh they cut those lights on later nights, without disrupting emergency services.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Then they got ahold of the building managers to cut those lights.
It shouldn't have happened in the first place. The people monitoring the grid didn't see or take action when that was happening? And issued condescending tweets telling people to unplug their appliances to stop phantom draw and LED lights?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It shouldn't have happened in the first place. The people monitoring the grid didn't see or take action when that was happening? And issued condescending tweets telling people to unplug their appliances to stop phantom draw and LED lights?
Pretty much all those office buildings are on timers and such. Yeah they should have been dealt with before time but pretty much all of TX's responses to this have been "oh shit, this happened, we need people to do so and so." Like, they expected bad, but not this bad and they seemed to have prepared for less bad then they thought it would be.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I can't really fault people for not thinking through everything they should have done in the face of an unprecedented disaster. Even at the best of times (so to speak), people are going to miss some things.

This, however, was not the best of times. I daresay the number of things missed is less "some" and more "truckload".

Reactions: BrawlMan

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Funnily enough, despite my joke title the night sky was still pretty bright.

Because it took them a couple days of rationing power to realize the empty business districts were still lit up at night.

To be fair, how could anyone have possibly seen that? I mean...it's not like it's lit up like it's the Fourth of Fucking July at The Fireworks Factory where unsupervised children were all given matches and lighters and a fuckton of Mountain Dew and told to just go fucking nuts...

So obviously it was missed by everyone. It's basically indistinguishable from all the dark houses that have no power!

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Regarding that talk about the business district and how you can't just turn it off because of hospitals and all, here's some cold calculus. Hospitals have generators and might have theoretically lasted the night, but the energy saved would be a large buffer against a total implosion.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Regarding that talk about the business district and how you can't just turn it off because of hospitals and all, here's some cold calculus. Hospitals have generators and might have theoretically lasted the night, but the energy saved would be a large buffer against a total implosion.
I would advise against speculation here. You have no idea what is involved in running the grid or even what laws and requirements there are for ERCOT. Saying something like this without much more information is at best, foolish. Now, that article does sound like them trying to cover their asses, but all this shit is complicated enough without random guessing.