Probably not getting a minimum wage hike.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So Democrats tried to include a $15 an hour minimum wage hike in the covid bill they are passing with budget reconciliation, which means they only need a majority vote. But, the Senate referee has said that such legislation canno't be included in the covid bill since it is major legislation and needs 60 votes to pass. Which means that Democrats would need 10 republicans to sign onto it and the odds of that are pretty low.

Currently the minimum wage in the US is $7.25 an hour, Democrats want to raise it to $15, a few republicans have said they would be up for increasing it to $10 an hour.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
What a stupid statement when something takes 60 votes.
If only someone could overrule it since this is a glorified suggestion. Maybe a democrat could have that kind of power. Maybe someone high up like the vice president could do that...

But I guess that's not possible.

Let's go live to Vice President Kamala Harris as she gives her comments on the situation:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If only someone could overrule it since this is a glorified suggestion. Maybe a democrat could have that kind of power. Maybe someone high up like the vice president could do that...

But I guess that's not possible.
Yeah, they could take it to the supreme court which has a super majority of conservatives because trump. That would work sooooooo well.

Because you are apparently ignorant of how things work here, I will tell you that the vice president is the tie breaking vote. If the senate is 50 50 then they break that tie, they don't do other shit. The vice president can't just suddenly come out and be like, this is passed.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah, they could take it to the supreme court which has a super majority of conservatives because trump. That would work sooooooo well.
So I guess let's give up right away

But I suppose to be fair, Joe Biden is just making sure to keep his promise. Almost doubling the minimum wage to levels that would have been sufficient 10ish years ago 5 years from now is getting dangerously close to a fundamental change and we can't have that! Unlike all those promises made to the voters, his promise of nothing changing was made to rich people and therefore it's the one promise of his we can actually expect him to keep...

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Because you are apparently ignorant of how things work here, I will tell you that the vice president is the tie breaking vote. If the senate is 50 50 then they break that tie, they don't do other shit. The vice president can't just suddenly come out and be like, this is passed.

You are aware Kamala Harris can just overrule the parliamentarian, right? They actually don't have to listen to her. If they really wanted to make a point they can overrule her and then fire and replace her, which is what the Republicans did in 2000 when they ran into this problem.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Here's a Republican owning himself with Math on the minimum wage. At about the 8 min they explain how Thume did his math

But honestly, I dont think this would make any dent to the logic. You're going to have to wait until all the boomers leave

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

You are aware Kamala Harris can just overrule the parliamentarian, right? They actually don't have to listen to her. If they really wanted to make a point they can overrule her and then fire and replace her, which is what the Republicans did in 2000 when they ran into this problem.
Yeah, you are correct she could overrule the parliamentarian or even just fire and replace her, but at least for firing her it sounds like they would still need the votes and Rep. Manchin (who also would prefer not to have a $15 an hour, he prefers $11) would oppose such a thing. Now overruling her is also a possibility, I have a feeling its more complicated then just saying we are ignoring you, but its kinda hard finding much info about this online.

But even if they did vote to ignore her then they would have to make Manchin satisfied with the bill and if the $15 an hour is a deal killer for him then they have to go back to the start since no republicans will vote for it. And he does have a couple good points on it, sure $15 an hour or higher is needed in most cities, but in bumfuck nowhere, where cost of living is cheap, can the local shops really support that? Would this just allow the big stores to come in and muscle out local competition even easier then they already could?

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Yeah, you are correct she could overrule the parliamentarian or even just fire and replace her, but at least for firing her it sounds like they would still need the votes and Rep. Manchin (who also would prefer not to have a $15 an hour, he prefers $11) would oppose such a thing. Now overruling her is also a possibility, I have a feeling its more complicated then just saying we are ignoring you, but its kinda hard finding much info about this online.

But even if they did vote to ignore her then they would have to make Manchin satisfied with the bill and if the $15 an hour is a deal killer for him then they have to go back to the start since no republicans will vote for it. And he does have a couple good points on it, sure $15 an hour or higher is needed in most cities, but in bumfuck nowhere, where cost of living is cheap, can the local shops really support that? Would this just allow the big stores to come in and muscle out local competition even easier then they already could?
It's been well argued in many places that raising wages encourages people to shop locally more than big box stores.

Keeping wages low is how you keep Walmart in power in the middle of nowhere because I'll tell you right now, living in the middle of nowhere isn't really cheaper than living in a city. Funnily enough rent doesn't necessarily go down in smaller towns compared to larger ones, property taxes also aren't really linked with urbanization. What does influence living prices in an area is how much money is already there, which makes sense, you can't get blood from a rock. If people aren't pinching every penny, they'll be more likely to shop locally, which keeps their stores open to pay people to shop locally.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
When the Democrats think of most useful things they could do, it's kick all the obstructive shits out of their own party like Sen. Manchin. It's amazing how much they seem to be unable to do time after time because of about two of their own senators.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's been well argued in many places that raising wages encourages people to shop locally more than big box stores.
Maybe, but keep in mind consumers are always looking for a deal. With a minimum wage hike its entirely possible that local shops would get more business from people willing to pay more to support them, but we have seen instances that were the opposite. If you go to clothing stores you will notice that it seems like there are always sales on things, this is because clothing stores tend to markup their prices and then just say things are on sale since customers like sales. JC Penny's tried to do away with this by just listing prices at what they wanted people to pay, getting rid of coupons and sales. They took a massive hit that resulted in them declaring bankruptcy. (They are still around and it sounds like they just came out of it this year)

Keeping wages low is how you keep Walmart in power in the middle of nowhere because I'll tell you right now, living in the middle of nowhere isn't really cheaper than living in a city. Funnily enough rent doesn't necessarily go down in smaller towns compared to larger ones, property taxes also aren't really linked with urbanization. What does influence living prices in an area is how much money is already there, which makes sense, you can't get blood from a rock. If people aren't pinching every penny, they'll be more likely to shop locally, which keeps their stores open to pay people to shop locally.
I mean I can see food, clothing, utlities, etc etc being similar but housing/rent costs have to be much cheaper. In desirable cities that shit can be insane, even small towns close to a big city can be nuts.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
When the Democrats think of most useful things they could do, it's kick all the obstructive shits out of their own party like Sen. Manchin. It's amazing how much they seem to be unable to do time after time because of about two of their own senators.
Then they don't have a majority and republicans do and they don't get to do anything.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Maybe, but keep in mind consumers are always looking for a deal. With a minimum wage hike its entirely possible that local shops would get more business from people willing to pay more to support them, but we have seen instances that were the opposite. If you go to clothing stores you will notice that it seems like there are always sales on things, this is because clothing stores tend to markup their prices and then just say things are on sale since customers like sales. JC Penny's tried to do away with this by just listing prices at what they wanted people to pay, getting rid of coupons and sales. They took a massive hit that resulted in them declaring bankruptcy. (They are still around and it sounds like they just came out of it this year)
Well it doesn't really track with the data we have, people shop at big box stores because they have to, as soon as they don't have to, they don't outside of items they just can't get elsewhere.

I mean I can see food, clothing, utlities, etc etc being similar but housing/rent costs have to be much cheaper. In desirable cities that shit can be insane, even small towns close to a big city can be nuts.
In a city you have more choice, and a wider net to cast when looking for a place to live. I live this, I live in Houston and rent prices for a 1 bedroom start at $400 a month if you're willing to live in a real crappy part of town, but you can live reasonably at ~$600 a month and be in Houston. You go out to Lake Jackson, which is out in the middle of nowhere, and an apartment that would be $800 in Houston is ~$1300. Because Lake Jackson is a nice(ish) small town, so they're as expensive or more so than one of the biggest cities in America.

Trust me, I've looked.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well it doesn't really track with the data we have, people shop at big box stores because they have to, as soon as they don't have to, they don't outside of items they just can't get elsewhere.
Maybe, either way those are questions that constituents will have fears about and want answers too.

In a city you have more choice, and a wider net to cast when looking for a place to live. I live this, I live in Houston and rent prices for a 1 bedroom start at $400 a month if you're willing to live in a real crappy part of town, but you can live reasonably at ~$600 a month and be in Houston. You go out to Lake Jackson, which is out in the middle of nowhere, and an apartment that would be $800 in Houston is ~$1300. Because Lake Jackson is a nice(ish) small town, so they're as expensive or more so than one of the biggest cities in America.

Trust me, I've looked.
Hrmm, you may have a point, prices in llano which as far as I'm concerned is also bumfuck nowhere are also kinda comparable with prices around here... partially.