Your next PC Component

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I figured a thread per item us nerds may wish to buy would be chaotic so here's a general thread.

Me personally, the next component I'm buying is one of these: SilverStone ECM23 M.2 to PCIe Adapter

Broadly speaking it will let me install an NVMe SSD into my unused PCI-Express Gen 3 slot and from there I can run all my storage through the motherboard with no cables. In fact it is starting to amaze me just how much you don't need to route cables for in builds any more. I'm gonna just get a Samsung 2TB Pro drive to go on it, because they're like $300 cheaper than the Western Digital of the same size. It will store my games and nothing else.

What about you? What's the next part you're gonna get? And no, don't say a GPU. We know that's a lie.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I got myself a Noctua NH-D15 cooler earlier this week. The fan on my old 212 Evo completely died on me. Bit of a splurge since I could've just bought a replacement fan for the old cooler, but I was planning to get something more performant for a future cpu upgrade anyway, so I thought 'fuck it why not'.

Coincidentally, I might also maybe get an NVMe SSD. Not really sure which yet. Probably a Samsung 980 Pro or WD SN850. My mobo doesn't have pcie4, so I can't get the most out of them, but I can get either for about the same price as older pcie3 drives, they're a significant upgrade over the SATA drive I'm currently still on, and I can just reuse it when I'll have to change mobo for a cpu upgrade.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
In fact it is starting to amaze me just how much you don't need to route cables for in builds any more.
I know, right?

I just upgraded my girlfriends PC, and there were barely any cables to plug in.

Disk drives aren't a thing anymore, so I didn't need to plug that in - thats 2 cables gone. I swapped out the HDD and an SSD for a single M.2 that plugs straight into the motherboard - thats 4 cables gone. Shes got a 1050ti now, which doesn't need any power cables - thats another cable gone.

It is by far the cleanest PC that I have ever built.

As for what I am buying next... I should probably get her a couple more case fans. Currently, she only has the single exhaust fan, because the ones that I installed into her original PC were all sorts of different makes/models/materials, and they would look stupid together, in a case with a massive window. She also didn't want any glowly lights, and the only other spares I had were blue LED ones. So, probably fans.

Not that a 1050ti or i3 10100F are going to get particularly hot.

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
When I graduate and get a job and the whole chip market clusterfuck dies down I'm probably going to build something completely new from the ground up, aimed at generally achieving 120fps at 1080p on ultra settings, which should be possible with the RTX 3060. I'll give this one to my parents or my younger brother.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm waiting for the evga 3080 ftw+ editions to be back in stock.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
When I graduate and get a job and the whole chip market clusterfuck dies down I'm probably going to build something completely new from the ground up, aimed at generally achieving 120fps at 1080p on ultra settings, which should be possible with the RTX 3060. I'll give this one to my parents or my younger brother.
Make sure you get a 120Hz monitor to go with it.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I basically upgraded everything last year so maybe a video card (since I just have a Ryzen APU) when I can get a decent one for like $200. Probably just getting more storage would be the next purchase as I have an empty m.2 slot.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh yeah, provided MSRP has gone back to normal, get the 3060ti. For the extra $70 it really does have some extras that let it come out ahead. Mind of you’re on a 1060 down, and the price is right, the 3060 isn’t terrible, just not as good as it could be

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I might settle for a 3070; I dunno. Of course, this is all just a theoretical exercise until graphics cards that aren't being sold by scumbag scalpers are a thing that exist again.
Even the ones that aren’t being sold be scalpers are price gouging: there’s no reason on this green earth an RTX 3060 should cost $700 upwards. Even allowing for currency conversion and profit margins it should top out at $500.

I’ve said it a few times but give scarcity and MSRP markups from hell, the 3090 is looking better each week

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I have a 1TB 860 Evo SSD I still need to swap in to replace my hard drive, but I keep being lazy and forgetting to do it. Some day... My next component might be some fans or perhaps a new CPU cooler, but I've got everything I need otherwise so I don't see myself upgrading anything else without rebuilding down the line