Andrew Cuomo's implosion

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

A lot of articles along the same lines. Andrew Cuomo spent most of 2020 being lionized by the centrist media machine for offering a stark contrast to Trump. But recently discovered scandals have painted him with the exact same brush as Trump.

Cuomo's handling of COVID has lead to New York being one of the worst states in the country on COVID deaths, in no small part due to his decision early on to house COVID patients in elderly nursing homes, effectively culling the population of the old and infirm. He further went on to hide the numbers, trying to dodge federal inquiries. During this time he got book deals, and emmy award, and constant good press from his brother, who happens to be a top anchor at one of the largest cable news networks in the country.

Since that time recording of his aides mentioning the coverup as a coverup have surfaced, and other legislators in NY have launched inquiries into this, as Cuomo had been given emergency powers due to COVID and had written laws that shielded private nursing companies from liabilities over COVID deaths, something that would have covered this whole mess. His liability shield has since been copied by Republican led states and even by Republicans in congress. At the time some of these legislators had voiced caution or unease about these shields, but were shouted down by Cuomo and all his good press.

Since this has now started to explode in Cuomo's face and his good press is leaving him, he's turned to exploding in anger, threatening the legislators speaking against him, and having a meltdown on par with Trump in his bullying and blaming of others.

Guess nobody's Cuomosexual anymore.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

A lot of articles along the same lines. Andrew Cuomo spent most of 2020 being lionized by the centrist media machine for offering a stark contrast to Trump. But recently discovered scandals have painted him with the exact same brush as Trump.

Cuomo's handling of COVID has lead to New York being one of the worst states in the country on COVID deaths, in no small part due to his decision early on to house COVID patients in elderly nursing homes, effectively culling the population of the old and infirm. He further went on to hide the numbers, trying to dodge federal inquiries. During this time he got book deals, and emmy award, and constant good press from his brother, who happens to be a top anchor at one of the largest cable news networks in the country.

Since that time recording of his aides mentioning the coverup as a coverup have surfaced, and other legislators in NY have launched inquiries into this, as Cuomo had been given emergency powers due to COVID and had written laws that shielded private nursing companies from liabilities over COVID deaths, something that would have covered this whole mess. His liability shield has since been copied by Republican led states and even by Republicans in congress. At the time some of these legislators had voiced caution or unease about these shields, but were shouted down by Cuomo and all his good press.

Since this has now started to explode in Cuomo's face and his good press is leaving him, he's turned to exploding in anger, threatening the legislators speaking against him, and having a meltdown on par with Trump in his bullying and blaming of others.

Guess nobody's Cuomosexual anymore.
My feelings of this are plain.

This mishandling of the Coronavirus is insurmountable. Their selfish intentions can burn for all I care. Good media and press, if they follow someone doing the right thing, is well and good. If evidence comes to light that they were deceiving people and that deceit led to bad outcomes, they are owed no loyalty.

Like I've said with Trump before, I would have had no issue with Trump getting a second term if he tried his damnedest but simply failed due to an overwhelming and an uncontrollable event. But Trump did less than nothing. He made it worse by weaponizing it for Political Power.

Cuomo did the same. I've lost family members due to that. I don't care if he registers as a Democrat. That means nothing to me. My mother not being here to see her family any more does.

Now he can try to atone or go full Trump. He'll never make up for what he did. So the choice is his.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It seemed to be the SOP for a bunch of places (or maybe it just seems that way because my governor, a Democrat, did the exact same thing). A lot of them for whatever reason decided "Hey, you know that highly infectious disease that fucks the shit out of seniors? Well if they catch it, better send them back to the Senior Homes!!!"

Like...I don't even know what the logic would have been at the time that made them think it was a good idea. If the hospitals were filling up, at the very least keeping COVID positive seniors away from other seniors would have been a good idea. We may not have the knowledge of COVID like we do now but I don't think there was anyone even at the beginning of this that thought that seniors would have no issues dealing with COVID...

I'm also not sure why this is blowing up in Cuomo's face and not Waltz's (my governors) or other governors who did this. Is it just because Cuomo tried to hide it or was something extra done in New York that wasn't done in many other places?

Note: I'm not absolving Cuomo (or my governor or any other who did the same thing); I'm merely curious why Cuomo is getting dragged through the coals and not all these other guys/gals in charge.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
It seemed to be the SOP for a bunch of places (or maybe it just seems that way because my governor, a Democrat, did the exact same thing). A lot of them for whatever reason decided "Hey, you know that highly infectious disease that fucks the shit out of seniors? Well if they catch it, better send them back to the Senior Homes!!!"

Like...I don't even know what the logic would have been at the time that made them think it was a good idea. If the hospitals were filling up, at the very least keeping COVID positive seniors away from other seniors would have been a good idea. We may not have the knowledge of COVID like we do now but I don't think there was anyone even at the beginning of this that thought that seniors would have no issues dealing with COVID...

I'm also not sure why this is blowing up in Cuomo's face and not Waltz's (my governors) or other governors who did this. Is it just because Cuomo tried to hide it or was something extra done in New York that wasn't done in many other places?

Note: I'm not absolving Cuomo (or my governor or any other who did the same thing); I'm merely curious why Cuomo is getting dragged through the coals and not all these other guys/gals in charge.
You know that's a very good question. Certainly Cuomo was caught covering it up and he certainly was better known before the scandal hit, but there really should be a nationwide reckoning as to why this happened.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

California is trying to have a recall against Newsom over his terrible handling of the pandemic and non-sense restrictions that he himself refused to follow. I think that now that the vaccine is being rolled out people are finding it's the perfect time to be asking questions about why the fuck everything went wrong without being shouted down that the middle of a pandemic is the wrong time to question leadership.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Because he stands out as such a total arsehole: he accepted so many plaudits when he potentially magnified the problem, and spent a great deal of time publicly congratulating himself whilst covering up his failures.

Also, it's New York. It's the most prominent city in the USA.

Reactions: MrCalavera

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I remember writing about this in the other Cuomo thread, so I'll do it again. Preface: Cuomo's lying, attempting to obfuscate his failures and other shortcomings are not something I'll defend. I'll only defend the decision to discharge patients that no longer had immediate Covid-19 symptoms but that could potentially still be disease transmitters.

Basically, the big problem all healthcare systems faces all the time is that there are only so many hospital beds available. In Sweden, even prior to Covid-19, we've had quite a few hospitals operating at something like 105% patient capacity on average for years by now (this is mostly related to a shortage of RNs which means not all patient beds can be available because there'd be no nurses to care for the patients in them). The effects of the pandemic makes this problem so much worse. Some degree of overflow can be managed by utilizing every available room in a ward for patient beds, meaning things like supply closets, bathing rooms and corridors become "patient rooms", as long as you can maintain a minimal degree of staffing.

But what happens when you've maximized capacity but still got a lot of patients who aren't ill enough to need to be admitted to a hospital, but can't be sent home for some reason, and more patients with acute illness that really needs to be admitted? You need to chose. Do you chose to discharge those 4,500 patients that might still be Covid-19 transmitters and hope that their nursing homes can isolate them from the other residents or do you turn away those 4,500 people who needs to be admitted or die? New York chose the former option and it is the right option. You are weighing the potential for thousands of deaths versus thousands of guaranteed deaths when people in need of immediate hospital care don't get it.

Remember all that talk about flattening the curve and avoiding overloading the healthcare system? What NY faced was the first stage of an overloaded healthcare system, when you face an acute shortage of hospital beds and need to start making some really hard calls on who to admit and how quickly to discharge patients that could use more time in a hospital. Had NY not decided to discharge those people back to their nursing homes, they'd probably have faced even more dead people and a hospital system that caved in under the pressure of having to care for and treat thousands of patients that it didn't have capacity to care for.
That's all fair and maybe that's why Cuomo is getting grilled while others have been able to skate; the lying part

It feels like there could have been a better option between "Letting the hospitals completely fill up" and "Sending COVID positive seniors back home with all the other seniors and hope the nursing home takes precautions" but I recognize that everyone was between a rock and a hard place with this pandemic and maybe there legitimately were no other options.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You know that's a very good question. Certainly Cuomo was caught covering it up and he certainly was better known before the scandal hit, but there really should be a nationwide reckoning as to why this happened.
California is trying to have a recall against Newsom over his terrible handling of the pandemic and non-sense restrictions that he himself refused to follow. I think that now that the vaccine is being rolled out people are finding it's the perfect time to be asking questions about why the fuck everything went wrong without being shouted down that the middle of a pandemic is the wrong time to question leadership.
I would guess to answer the question, it's because California and New York have been some of the biggest proponents of lockdowns (Cali is STILL heavily locked down even a year later while plenty of other states have at least opened up to a moderate extent) and yet they've handled the situation terribly while also keeping people from doing a lot of everyday activities that those in other states have been able to do.

Reactions: Trunkage

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I would say more but if I do investors for the escapist would short this stock so I would keep it civil. Andrew Cuomo represents the worst of America. His father Mario Cuomo was very progressive. Andrew took that and decided to hand New York's, and America's future to the Neoliberals, and pave the way for people like Bloomberg.

Andrew also cut Medicaid during a pandemic. So a great guy I guess, but the media loves him because he's a good little center-left neoliberal that won't rock the boat.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Andrew also cut Medicaid during a pandemic. So a great guy I guess, but the media loves him because he's a good little center-left neoliberal that won't rock the boat.
I thought his brother had something to do with it...

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Ask and you shall receive.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Of course, Chris isn't covering Andrew's implosion, which makes sense since it'd be a conflict of interest. The real question is why was he allowed to give puff pieces on his own brother beforehand?

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Does it really count as an implosion if he was always a piece of shit that made no attempt to hide that he is a piece of shit, and what happened was actually just a bunch of shitlib talking heads hard carried him for a year to pied piper Democratic partisan voters into full-on low-info, "blue MAGA" territory?