Little things that Shape your life towards the Annoying.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wow, you're a madman, cheese and chocolate are two of the best flavours on Earth. Imagine not enjoying a slice of chocolate cheesecake!
It's odd someone brought this up. I do like cheese, I do like chocolate (although prefer at least 70% dark,) but what I can't stand that other people are amazed by... cheesecake. Not even just the taste; the sight of someone cutting it, or even smelling it is nausea-inducing. Although in my case it is a very specific cause. The first ever cheesecake I ever ate was tainted by something. Never found out what, but it made me violently ill. And ever since... that's the smell, the flavor of cheesecake. To me it smells and tastes like vomit. I know it actually doesn't, but I can't convince my brain it is anything else.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I get annoyed when people specifically ask my opinion on something, and then get mad that it is my opinion.

I get annoyed when my wife asks my permission to do something, like buy some item she thinks will be good for the house, or some other fairly minor and inconsequential thing, and I say "ok", after having heard her case to why it should be allowed. And then she CONTINUES to try and sell me on the proposition. To which I reply with each pause as she presents another selling point. "...ok." and then she does it AGAIN! And I again say "....OK!" Like, I've already given my approval to the thing that you want to do, not that you really needed my permission in the first place. Stop selling me on the agreement!! I've started to turn it around on her and say "Well you've exceeded your 3 Ok limit, I'm now rescinding my approval of your request....DENIED!!" She just kind of gives me a look, and then goes about her day. I just stick my tongue out at her.

When someone asks me to give them a phone number at work, for another agency that can more readily help them, but then they don't have pen/paper. "Well will you give me the number please?" Me: "Sure it's blah blah blah...." "Wait wait wait! I'm not ready!" ...ok well don't ask me to give you a fucking number if you aren't ready for the fucking number!

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It's odd someone brought this up. I do like cheese, I do like chocolate (although prefer at least 70% dark,) but what I can't stand that other people are amazed by... cheesecake. Not even just the taste; the sight of someone cutting it, or even smelling it is nausea-inducing. Although in my case it is a very specific cause. The first ever cheesecake I ever ate was tainted by something. Never found out what, but it made me violently ill. And ever since... that's the smell, the flavor of cheesecake. To me it smells and tastes like vomit. I know it actually doesn't, but I can't convince my brain it is anything else.
Funny the way that works. My sister is the same way with Dunkaroos. Made her sick one time and she could never eat them again.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
It's not outright annoying per se, but it can be a little irritating at times, and my wife and I are both guilty of this, but when it comes to really petty things, like where to go/what to have for dinner, what sort of accessories to get for something more important, we're both so terribly indecisive. There's a lot of back and forth going "you decide" until one of us breaks and makes a flash decision. We're fine with genuinely important stuff, but when it comes to deciding which bakery to go to to get bread...?(!)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
When someone asks me to give them a phone number at work, for another agency that can more readily help them, but then they don't have pen/paper. "Well will you give me the number please?" Me: "Sure it's blah blah blah...." "Wait wait wait! I'm not ready!" ...ok well don't ask me to give you a fucking number if you aren't ready for the fucking number!
Oh yeah, that's annoying.

On a related note, when I tell customers that I can't help them, but I can transfer the call to the correct people, and they agree to that, and then they keep telling me about their problem. Did you not listen to what I just said and you yourself agreed to?

Reactions: happyninja42

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Same is the case with my sister & seafood. Medically speaking, she can eat the stuff, but just won't. After the spell of food-poisoning related illness passed, she also recovered to an almost complete loss of lactose-tolerance (and she loved cheese/dairy before).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's not outright annoying per se, but it can be a little irritating at times, and my wife and I are both guilty of this, but when it comes to really petty things, like where to go/what to have for dinner, what sort of accessories to get for something more important, we're both so terribly indecisive. There's a lot of back and forth going "you decide" until one of us breaks and makes a flash decision. We're fine with genuinely important stuff, but when it comes to deciding which bakery to go to to get bread...?(!)
I'd like to make a stand for the "indecisive" man. I've been accused of being indecisive in several of my relationships, current one included. Example, discussing where to eat dinner.

She: "What do you want?"
Me: "I don't care; whatever you want is fine."
She: "You have to want something in particular."
Me: "Mmmm.... Nope. Anything's fine."
She: "See?!? You never make a decision!"
Me: "Me, no, what I said was 'I don't care.' That means I do not care: pizza, burgers, Italian, sea food, etc; whatever you want, I will eat without complaint or strong opinion. You say want me to decided, but we both know historically that anything I pick, you will find a reason why you don't want it, so clearly YOU care, YOU will complain and YOU will have a strong opinion. Therefore, logically, it makes sense for YOU to decided where YOU want to eat."

Drives me insane. It's not "indecisiveness" to lack strong opinions in matters of little import. I think what our spouses want is for us to be able to read their minds which, I'm sorry, we simply can't. REAL life isn't "The Notebook;" I wish they'd quit turning every little thing into a test of the depth of our bond. Me not knowing intuitively where she wants to eat says nothing about me or our relationship, however our BOTH knowing she won't want anything I actually DO pick and that I'll have to use processes of elimination to whittle my choices down to what she actually wanted the whole time says a LOT.

/r

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I'm actually a very punctual person. If you tell me "SilentPony, you need to be in my office noon on Thursday." you better believe at 12:00:10 I'm walking through your door. I'm not super anal about it, its just I show up on time every time because that's what is expected. I don't harp on people who may be late, because shit happens, but I will plan out a day almost to the minute to minimize the chance of shit happening so I can keep my appointments. On top of that I'm a pretty nice guy who helps out almost every single time something is asked.
But the thing that annoys me and I've been trying to control my temper is when someone asks something out of the blue that needs to be done now or very soon, that I am fully capable of doing, but it throws off my schedule. For example lets say I have a day full of errands, I've agreed to make a dish for a party tonight, and the dog has to go to the groomer. And then I get a call from an aunt who asks if I wouldn't mind running to the store and getting some, I dunno, ground beef for her and grandma to eat tonight. It takes 20-30mins, isn't stressful, I'm happy to help and I'll do it, but I will be driving to the store trying to readjust my brain time tables to make sure everything gets done, to the point I will exhaust myself by the day's end, still getting everything done, but worrying if i'm going to be able to.
I consider it little because its the little chores like going to the store or dropping a package off at UPS that get to me. The big shit I'm fully capable of saying no to and planning out later.
I had a cousin call me once, she works in politics, and said she needs someone to come manage a phone bank center in Kansas, staring tomorrow at 8am, for the next 6 weeks. And I said no 'cause that's a hell of an ask. But I also had the same cousin call me and ask if I could swing by her place and pick up a package off her front porch so it doesn't get stolen, and yeah that was simple enough.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Same (minus the off cheesecake), which sucks since my mom makes great cheesecake, as I've been told, but goodness if cream cheese isn't one of the worst things to make something out of.

Anyway, as much as the name fits my dog, it's extremely difficult to to say "Shadow, sit" without saying shit instead.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'd like to make a stand for the "indecisive" man. I've been accused of being indecisive in several of my relationships, current one included. Example, discussing where to eat dinner.
A good distinction to make, though I can't be bothered to edit my post now. We're both not bothered about any available choice for the most part, like you. We end up flipping a coin a lot of the time or doing rock/paper/scissors.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not so much anymore, but the every so often there's the person who's disturbingly interested in my personal life and wants to pipe up with their opinions on it.
Before I was married, I didn't date much and got a lot of "Why don't you have a girlfriend?" from people around me like it's somehow their business. After I got married, it was "When you gonna have kids?" and after I had ONE kid(and we aren't going to have any more), I would occasionally get the "When's the next one?". And this shit is mostly unprompted, because I don't normally talk about such things to others.

Like seriously people, do you have nothing fucking better to do then to keep inquiring into my personal life? Netflix exists. Go binge TIger King or something if you seriously have nothing going on in your life you're trying to micromanage what other people do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh, when I say that I don't drink and then people who do feel the need to convert me like drinking is a religion or something.
On the flip side of that, people who don't drink who look down on those of us who do. Drinking isn't a religion, neither is it a sin. Yes, it can be done to excess, but I challenge anyone to name something that can't.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh, when I say that I don't drink and then people who do feel the need to convert me like drinking is a religion or something.
Because for some unfathomable reason, getting on the turps seems to be part of Australia’s social contract. Not coincidentally we have a massive, MASSIVE, alcohol abuse problem.

I wonder why that could be :unsure:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I won't judge someone who doesn't drink, but when I find out that someone doesn't drink I usually ask why.

I tend to be curious whether it's a religious thing, they just don't like the taste of alcohol, or if they're one of those people who thinks it's "immoral" for some god awful reason. It helps me gauge whether I'll need to be drunk to to be able to stand them.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This older lady who always walks by my house with her dog unleashed, and her dog fucking hates my dog and always promptly goes in to attack my dog (who's twice as big as hers, so it's no real danger there). And then she proceeds to be all 'oh no, oh god, oh geez'. And I just wanna grab her by the collar and tell her 'Lady, you fucking know I live here, you know I have a dog, and you know your dog fucking hates mine and gets violent. Either take another route or fucking leash your dog. I've got mine leashed, you can tell because of how I'm greatly struggling to keep him in check while you dog is freely running around him and nipping at him every fucking time you walk by my house. And you don't even live here, you live two blocks away. Your dog isn't even that big, just fucking leash him, you fucking idiot.'

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Asking for a couple or a pair of something and then ALWAYS having to clarify that, yes, I want TWO of something.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
When people say goodbye with "Have a blessed day." It happens so often where I live, that I have to actively keep my mind aware for it, so I don't reflexively go "You too." Because my default phrase is "have a nice day" or "you take care." if I'm the one ending the conversation. A nice generic, neutral statement of farewell. But no, I have to curb my reflex and change it so I don't say "You too." and tacitly support their mystical hoodoo thinking. And before anyone tries to defend it, I can fucking guarantee you if I used some other religion's farewell statement, they would get offended that I did it to them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I won't judge someone who doesn't drink, but when I find out that someone doesn't drink I usually ask why.
Both of my parents were alcoholics and I have an addictive personality. I'm like the #1 risk group for alcoholism.

But no, I have to curb my reflex and change it so I don't say "You too." and tacitly support their mystical hoodoo thinking.
Just reply "May Cthulhu's madness spare you the agony of your unmaking".

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Because for some unfathomable reason, getting on the turps seems to be part of Australia’s social contract. Not coincidentally we have a massive, MASSIVE, alcohol abuse problem.

I wonder why that could be :unsure:
Reminds me of the joke: excessive alcohol consumption impairs your ability to get an erection - Australians haven't had a good 4X in ages.