So.. another Aliens game just got announced "Aliens: Fireteam"

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's being developed by http://coldironstudios.com/ with daybreak as the publisher. It looks like this is their first game, though they claim that they've been simmering on it for a few years. The Studio itself is supposedly made up of ex-devs of Star Trek online and City of heroes according to Google. I could be wrong that's just want I found online. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on it? I'm a massive Aliens fan so obviously I'm just happy it's not Gearbox. Aliens: Colonies marines is the one game I've ever actually felt completed ripped off by and betrayed by the developer. I haven't bought a Gearbox game since as I feel their deceptive marketing was borderline criminal. Anyhoo here's the trailer. Apologies if the escapist has one. I can relink it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm not much of one for non-single player games, but I'm glad for anyone who is interested in this type of game. It could work, and the whole "first game" thing doesn't put me off that much. Every studio has to have a first game to have any games.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I was super concerned about how this would turn out, but this looks so much better than I was expecting it to. While I'd love another Alien: Isolation, this also looks like a lot of fun. Count me in. Hoping to line up an interview with the devs soon too for The Escapist Show.

This has also been in the works for quite awhile. I think...at least 4 if not 5 years now?

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ooh another beloved action horror IP being wasted on the "live-service" bandwagon for a cheap penny grab, like that recent Predator game! No story, no ending, no motivation, no emotion other than number grooming and cosmetic grinding. I am hyyyyyypeeeeeeed!

tenor-29.gif

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's being developed by http://coldironstudios.com/ with daybreak as the publisher. It looks like this is their first game, though they claim that they've been simmering on it for a few years. The Studio itself is supposedly made up of ex-devs of Star Trek online and City of heroes according to Google. I could be wrong that's just want I found online. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on it? I'm a massive Aliens fan so obviously I'm just happy it's not Gearbox. Aliens: Colonies marines is the one game I've ever actually felt completed ripped off by and betrayed by the developer. I haven't bought a Gearbox game since as I feel their deceptive marketing was borderline criminal. Anyhoo here's the trailer. Apologies if the escapist has one. I can relink it.

Looks interesting. I might give it a shot.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Ooh another beloved action horror IP being wasted on the "live-service" bandwagon for a cheap penny grab, like that recent Predator game! No story, no ending, no motivation, no emotion other than number grooming and cosmetic grinding. I am hyyyyyypeeeeeeed!

View attachment 3225
Oh I didn't think of that. If it's one of those definitely count me out. The Devs being from the mmo community was making me squint a bit.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

View attachment 3225
Wow, I completely forgot about that Predator game. Has it released yet or has it been shutdown already?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Wow, I completely forgot about that Predator game. Has it released yet or has it been shutdown already?
Sorry, had forgotten I'd posted at all here. It released to a luke-warm reception, sitting at just above 50 score on metacritic as of now. No one seems to have talked about it since, even though the devs apparently announced some sort of update or DLC recently. It was passed around publishers a lot until Sony took it on, without any quality assurance evidently. Almost bought it once when drunk, bored and curious too, while craving a predator videogame fix. Very glad I didn't follow through on that one.
Also this game's sub-title "fireteam" is a name capable of glazing over even the most methamphetamine'd eyeballs. When budget is low and all you got is rights to an IP alongside minimal imagination, this genre appears a far more attractive endeavour when you only need to bust out a couple of maps and a gameplay loop demanding repetition across them.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
This is more my tempo. I'm always on the lookout for games that I can just co-op with friends and are focused without a lot of hassle. The drawback always comes down to support.

I actually had a really good time with that budget title WWZ, which was essentially a clone of L4D, but with more detailed missions. The problem was that you played through only 4 or so campaigns and you could do it in a night or two. There was a leveling system, but it wasn't interesting enough and the game felt kinda bland after a few hours of play. The Devs abandoned it almost immediately.

Money doesn't mean much to me. I end up spending $50 going to a bar on friday night. I'd pay full price if its a couple weekends worth of fun.

Sorry, had forgotten I'd posted at all here. It released to a luke-warm reception, sitting at just above 50 score on metacritic as of now. No one seems to have talked about it since, even though the devs apparently announced some sort of update or DLC recently. It was passed around publishers a lot until Sony took it on, without any quality assurance evidently. Almost bought it once when drunk, bored and curious too, while craving a predator videogame fix. Very glad I didn't follow through on that one.
I never bought Predator or Friday the 13th or any of the other Team vs 1 Evolve clones (Im sure Evolve cloned something else I just remember that being the big failwhale.). In fact I never bought Evolve either. My problem with those games is two fold.

1. The content is extremely limited. It always seems like the devs poop out a few maps a limited number of classes and the abandon it.
2. The gameplay is fundamentally flawed in that the Devs strictly rely on players to make other players have a good experience. There's not once been a dev willing to build a system that accounts for balancing issues or those days when no one wants to be the Predator.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actually had a really good time with that budget title WWZ, which was essentially a clone of L4D, but with more detailed missions. The problem was that you played through only 4 or so campaigns and you could do it in a night or two. There was a leveling system, but it wasn't interesting enough and the game felt kinda bland after a few hours of play. The Devs abandoned it almost immediately.
Zombie Army 4 is pretty good. The game is about $30 physical and has way more content, longer campaign, more enemy types, a raid mode with several levels, and still gets plenty of updates. There is some weapon DLC, but at least it gives you decent set to start with, and it is mostly just weapon skins.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I can't say I'm enthused about this. I like Alien as much as the next guy (well, probably more than the next guy), but this looks like the hivebusters mode of Gears 5 providing the template for a whole game.

Apparently it does have a story - all of the maps form part of one overall narrative.