Biden still locks kids in cages

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
When others were talking about refugees, you switched the topic with "illegal immigrants". You didn't have to explicitly condemn them; that switch-out is indicative of the attitude I'm criticising.
I used that phrase specifically in response to the ridiculous argument that border laws were preventing people from migrating. It was contextually appropriate usage. Stop pigeonholing me into the stereotype you want to argue with and listen.
Not that I needed your permission, but I'm not letting this little bit of grotesque gaslighting go unremarked upon.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/06/05/us-stop-using-untrained-abusive-agencies-protests#
Or, they're doing this:

Or this:

They save the refugees you're poorly advocating for at orders of magnitude over the number of complaints you're upset about. And that's while they are, ya know, intercepting drug smugglers, arresting human traffickers, and manning the living environments for refugees. CBP likely has more humanitarian efforts in it's list of regular activities than any other law enforcement force on the planet.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
How did this thread go to banning the CBP. What happened to ban ICE? We obviously need CBP to root out arms traffickers and the like.
Even that's low ambitions. Ban the state!

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
How did this thread go to banning the CBP. What happened to ban ICE? We obviously need CBP to root out arms traffickers and the like.
They operate these child detention centers. When people act like it's concentration camps, they're ultimately treating CBP as Nazis. Nazis that also happen to patrol the mountains and save people from dying from exposure.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In recent times, Customs and Immigration have become two sides of the same coin so you're really looking at abolishing a function rather than an entity but that function still needs to be performed. That said, the quality of those going into those roles needs to fucking dramatically rise.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
amazon warehouse employee/"associate"
Have you worked in a warehouse environment like that? Because I have. And the few that make those places actually work I guarantee think that about all the people who are hired and are dead weight.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Have you worked in a warehouse environment like that? Because I have. And the few that make those places actually work I guarantee think that about all the people who are hired and are dead weight.
cool story, bro

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I used that phrase specifically in response to the ridiculous argument that border laws were preventing people from migrating. It was contextually appropriate usage. Stop pigeonholing me into the stereotype you want to argue with and listen.

Or, they're doing this:

Or this:

They save the refugees you're poorly advocating for at orders of magnitude over the number of complaints you're upset about. And that's while they are, ya know, intercepting drug smugglers, arresting human traffickers, and manning the living environments for refugees. CBP likely has more humanitarian efforts in it's list of regular activities than any other law enforcement force on the planet.
Cool story, bro. ACAB. I'm not buying your narrative that the abuses are justified because I actually give a shit.

Name any position you couldn't say this about.
"They're the best law enforcement in the world! Unsung heroes, really! But yeah, we should totally tighten up hiring standards because the current crop just aren't cutting it."

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"They're the best law enforcement in the world! Unsung heroes, really! But yeah, we should totally tighten up hiring standards because the current crop just aren't cutting it."
Are there not bad doctors? Do you not want better doctors? Are there not bad teachers? Do you not want better teachers? Do you imagine no bad person could run a food bank?

Bad people get into positions that people consider heros. It is what is is. You have no obligation to consider an person a hero based on their job title, but bad people shouldn't determine your opinion of the job itself, and far beyond that you're taking bad people as reason to judge every individual that shares a job title with them.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Are there not bad doctors? Do you not want better doctors? Are there not bad teachers? Do you not want better teachers? Do you imagine no bad person could run a food bank?
None of this equals "the quality of those going into those roles needs to fucking dramatically rise."

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Wanna run the stats on complaints versus rescues for yourself and figure out what is normal?
What constitutes a rescue, and how robust are the complaints procedures?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Dont be a pest. Let the person asked the question figure things out.
We're talking about an agency which some people think has "gone rogue", or been given excessive latitude with insufficient oversight. If we take the assumption it is compiling the statistics it reports, there stands a heavy risk that the statistics are not meaningful or reliable. For instance, let's say that an agency suppresses complaints - not informing people of a way to complain, intimidating potential complainants, or lacking an adequate complaints process. How useful are their complaints statistics?

As an analogy here, the UK police record ~50,000 rapes and sexual assaults a year, and the equivalent figure in India is ~30,000, despite India having a population twenty times higher. So do you think women are about 30-40 times safer in India than the UK, or that there's a big disparity between the two countries in the reporting and recording of these crimes?

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Dont be a pest. Let the person asked the question figure things out.
No, what he asked was a totally valid question. What do you think constitutes an abuse and a rescue and how effective is the system for registering complaints of abuse? Because right now it sounds like you're of the mindset that something isn't a problem so long as you personally are capable of ignoring it. CBP have not published any reports on abuses or use of force since 2018 and you expect me to just assume everything is hunky dory.

If you don't want to answer the questions, then just admit it instead of playing these disingenuous games.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, what he asked was a totally valid question. What do you think constitutes an abuse and a rescue and how effective is the system for registering complaints of abuse? Because right now it sounds like you're of the mindset that something isn't a problem so long as you personally are capable of ignoring it. CBP have not published any reports on abuses or use of force since 2018 and you expect me to just assume everything is hunky dory.

If you don't want to answer the questions, then just admit it instead of playing these disingenuous games.
No, that is not how this works. You made a claim about what was normal. I asked you to justify it with numbers, and now I'm being asked to justify the request? No. You all want to turn it back on me because you know the numbers dont support you, and you intend to attack the messenger if I bring them, so no. You can justify your claim of what is normal with something more than "ACAB", which is going to require acknowledging all the good done, or you can just not respond.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren