Trump misunderstands concept of free speech

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
In this case, the wrong respect.
Escapist publishing their own articles would count them as a publisher.

The comments section would be protected as a platform.

Why can this NOT be applied to twitter then with their own fact checking they are choosing to publish vs platform for other stuff?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not accusing twitter of banning people based on their opinions about gender, so I don't see why I should need to provide examples of such.

I'm just saying a rule against "spreading false information", can lead to very bad outcomes. My hypothetical was an example of that, because you seem to disagree with the claim.
Then you need to come up with a good hypothetical since just saying "two genders" isn't making the point you think it is.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Escapist publishing their own articles would count them as a publisher.

The comments section would be protected as a platform.

Why can this NOT be applied to twitter then with their own fact checking they are choosing to publish vs platform for other stuff?
Why are you asking a question other people have already answered? I have some guesses, none of which sound good.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ah but the platform isn't public that's the argument here so Trump's platform on there isn't public it's still within the private platform.

How can it be a public platform when the whole thing is being deemed private now?

People can interact with Trump. They can send a letter lol.
Because he is making government proclamations through twitter, if he bans a user then that stops them from being able to see that or interact with it which is against the first amendment. So its not a public platform, but his account is because he made it one. Being an elected official changes how you are able to interact with the public.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Why are you asking a question other people have already answered? I have some guesses, none of which sound good.
Except they haven't the argument is it should be one or the other while here on the Escapist both apply in different aspects. Why would that NOT apply to twitter?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Because he is making government proclamations through twitter, if he bans a user then that stops them from being able to see that or interact with it which is against the first amendment. So its not a public platform, but his account is because he made it one. Being an elected official changes how you are able to interact with the public.
But there's no rule saying you can only interact with them in one specific way.

You can't for example walk up to an officials home and yell at them and they have to answer the door and listen to you.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA

You can't for example walk up to an officials home and yell at them and they have to answer the door and listen to you.
If you actually need that level of specificity in a legal code to determine what is or is not the appropriate thing to say or do in a given situation, it raises questions.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

We aren't talking about that, you really are being about obtuse about this. I sent you a link to an article about it, you should read it since I'm really not sure what your overall point here is and it would probably answer your question better.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Which may well be changing soon.
He can't change that law on his own. That is what we have congress for. The president cannot even present a bill to congress, a member of congress must do that.

Trump allows some of his constituents to communicate to him that way, thus must allow them all to.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
If you actually need that level of specificity in a legal code to determine what is or is not the appropriate thing to say or do in a given situation, it raises questions.
Considering I was on about the argument about peoples free speech I think you ACCIDENTALLY mis-interpreted that.

I was on about asking if a politician refusing to let you shout at them on their doorstep should be seen as them denying you your first amendment rights.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
ah but the present application of the first amendment is Trump cannot deny people that right by blocking them but apparently Twitter can deny that ability which means for one person the first amendment applies and must be respected on the platform but also it's being argued that it's a private company and private space where those laws don't apply. Doesn't seem consistent there.
Twitter is a private platform. It can accept or deny anyone according to its rights as owner. If it bans anyone, it does not infringe their right to free speech, because there's the whole of the rest of the internet for them to make themselves heard.

However, public servants are required to have a degree of openness to the public about their jobs, because the USA is a not a dictatorship. If a public official uses an open platform to explain their professional activities, they should not unfairly restrict public access. Or to put it another way, the president of the USA is answerable to and has a duty to serve the entire US public. He is not allowed to selectively silence citizens who happen to disagree with him in policy. If Trump had a Twitter account which purely covered his personal life, he (probably) would be able to block users, because it is outside the boundaries of public policy requiring openness.

So you can walk right into the Whitehouse and yell and the president directly?
No, indeed you can't... but no-one can.

So the president is therefore not unfairly disadvantaging some citizens in terms of access to public discussion.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
He can't change that law on his own. That is what we have congress for. The president cannot even present a bill to congress, a member of congress must do that.

Trump allows some of his constituents to communicate to him that way, thus must allow them all to.
So if Trump allows some constituents to talk to him directly at Trump tower etc (which he does, generally large donors) he must allow everyone to?

We aren't talking about that, you really are being about obtuse about this. I sent you a link to an article about it, you should read it since I'm really not sure what your overall point here is and it would probably answer your question better.
That twitter may very well be about to end up classed as both.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Then you need to come up with a good hypothetical since just saying "two genders" isn't making the point you think it is.
Do you have any actual objections to my hypothetical? Because as far as I can tell, you only just objected on the basis of "that hasn't happened yet"

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Considering I was on about the argument about peoples free speech I think you ACCIDENTALLY mis-interpreted that.

I was on about asking if a politician refusing to let you shout at them on their doorstep should be seen as them denying you your first amendment rights.
If I misinterpreted, then this is a lateral move as the argument does not see the difference between putting someone on the ignore list and having them stalk and harass you.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That twitter may very well be about to end up classed as both.
No, its really not and I still don't understand what you want from any of this.

Do you have any actual objections to my hypothetical? Because as far as I can tell, you only just objected on the basis of "that hasn't happened yet"
You need to spell out your hypothetical, actually present it since all you really said before was you mentioned "two genders" you didn't in what context that was, you didn't say what the reason for a ban was, when I tried to give some examples you poopooed them. So you need to spell it out.