Georgia Rep. Park Cannon Speaks Out for First Time Since Arrest

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Can you explain this comment?
Gergar12 said " US security forces have a bias towards republicans." Republicans are far more pro-law enforcement than Democrats. People are more inclined to be nice to the people who are nice to them. I don't think that's particularly what's at play in this case, I think the move most beneficial to Republicans would be letting her bang away at the door to her heart's content, but I would not blame any law enforcement officer for preferring the Republican party.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Gergar12 said " US security forces have a bias towards republicans." Republicans are far more pro-law enforcement than Democrats. People are more inclined to be nice to the people who are nice to them. I don't think that's particularly what's at play in this case, I think the move most beneficial to Republicans would be letting her bang away at the door to her heart's content, but I would not blame any law enforcement officer for preferring the Republican party.
I am not surprised you do not blame what are meant to be impartial enforcers of law for not being impartial. When you do not blame them for not properly doing their jobs no wonder you think they should prefer you

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I am not surprised you do not blame what are meant to be impartial enforcers of law for not being impartial. When you do not blame them for not properly doing their jobs no wonder you think they should prefer you
Enforcing the law impartially is not the same as being an impartial person. No person is impartial in their personal estimations of others, everyone has biases. I do blame them when not doing their jobs. I'm not in here saying they should have arrested her and put her in jail. I'm saying she wanted to be arrested and was never going to prison over this..

Here the difference in arguements: I blame law enforment when they don't properly do their jobs. Many people on left, not necessarily Democrats, blame law enforcement for properly doing their jobs. Some people want to abolish law enforcement, and treat the cops who do their job properly as gestapo. What I don't blame cops for is leaning politically towards the people who support them when they are doing their jobs properly. That is not saying I support police breaking laws, nor is it saying I think one party should deserve special treatment by law enforcement.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Here the difference in arguements: I blame law enforment when they don't properly do their jobs. Many people on left, not necessarily Democrats, blame law enforcement for properly doing their jobs.
Given that the police doing a proper job appears to include being able to sink a dozen bullets into a suspect (or even just a child holding a toy gun), whilst police unions protest with utmost vigour at the very idea they might be a little less violent, one might understand why the left are a little unimpressed by the police doing their jobs "properly". One could also consider the happy collaborations police worldwide have tended to form with right-wing and even outright fascist groups, whilst laying into any number of long-haired hippies waving a peace placard causing relatively little trouble: a study has suggested US police are three times more likely to employ violence against left-wing protests.

The police are basically kind of right wing. I mean, instrinsically right wing. The left, usually in the position of having to challenge the existing societal order (the dominance of that part of society that benefits most from the existing societal order), is always liable to have more adverse encounters with the enforcers of societal order. There are few if any studies that examine the voting preferences of police officers - but those that exist plus anecdotal evidence such as candidate endorsements by police unions, suggest they lean substantially right-wing. I don't think that's just that the right campaigns harder on "law and order". It's the mindset of the right is more inclined to order, hierarchy and authority, and one has to suspect a significant number of people who join the notably hierarchical and authoritarian institution that is the police are motivated by a belief in maintaining social order. It's a more attractive career to right-wingers in the first place.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Given that the police doing a proper job appears to include being able to sink a dozen bullets into a suspect (or even just a child holding a toy gun), whilst police unions protest with utmost vigour at the very idea they might be a little less violent, one might understand why the left are a little unimpressed by the police doing their jobs "properly". One could also consider the happy collaborations police worldwide have tended to form with right-wing and even outright fascist groups, whilst laying into any number of long-haired hippies waving a peace placard causing relatively little trouble: a study has suggested US police are three times more likely to employ violence against left-wing protests.

The police are basically kind of right wing. I mean, instrinsically right wing. The left, usually in the position of having to challenge the existing societal order (the dominance of that part of society that benefits most from the existing societal order), is always liable to have more adverse encounters with the enforcers of societal order. There are few if any studies that examine the voting preferences of police officers - but those that exist plus anecdotal evidence such as candidate endorsements by police unions, suggest they lean substantially right-wing. I don't think that's just that the right campaigns harder on "law and order". It's the mindset of the right is more inclined to order, hierarchy and authority, and one has to suspect a significant number of people who join the notably hierarchical and authoritarian institution that is the police are motivated by a belief in maintaining social order. It's a more attractive career to right-wingers in the first place.
I don't disagree with your analysis, but I wish you would recognize that left wing-rejection isn't just accidentally in conflict from challenging societal order. A lot of people on the left disagree with law enforcement fundamentally, and would seek to abolish it entirely. I quite fondly remember the thread where lil devils tried to tell me nobody actually wants to abolish the police, and then I didn't have to say a thing for a dozen pages while our left-most residents proved me right. And they don't oppose police because of circumstance, it's one piece of the ideological goal of a classless, stateless society.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Just to ask is this all about that Voter ID law where the opponents seem to be saying Black people are too dumb / incompetent to be able to get government ID of some kind (and yes people were saying black people wouldn't know hot to get ID or where their local DMV was) so it shouldn't be brought it while it's been shown just how many things need an ID that could be used including many of the companies opposing the bill who require ID to use their services some even down to just buying tickets to see shows or things?
Cause honestly if it is that bill seriously? Just really seriously?
If people really are pushing this claim doesn't that make a lot of the companies requiring ID racist too?
Where's the bills to deal with that I'm pretty sure excluding service on racial grounds is an offence and all they're doing is adding 1 more step by require ID.

Yes, she's probably wrong on the assumption she could get eight years. It's actually "only" five. The rest seems to be accurate.

It's not that you're wrong, but it fundamentally does reveal differences. Georgia is run by Republicans, for Republicans. The cops can feel happy to drag off a black woman Democrat - member of the legislature notwithstanding - because they know where the centre of power is in the state, and it's with her opponents. For all her status, she's still an outsider. A bunch of yahoos can dick around with a Federal committee without accountability because they are insiders and no-one has the power (or is willing to take the risk of exercising it) to do anything about them. The comparison of the two is a graphic example of disparity of power.

I suspect if the police have any sense, they'll drop the charges.
Or these are now the agreed upon rules of the game.

Democrats wanted to go after people so Republicans see no reason not to respond in kind.

acting to arrest her would be impartial though...................

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Perhaps try educating yourself even the tiniest bit prior to spouting off? Like, would it really kill you to even pretend that you understand the issue beforehand?

Try this for a start:

yeh most of that doesn't address what I've just said infact it seems to echo it in an age when increasingly more things require a form of ID.

Now if you'd said the specifics of this individual iteration of it and the attachments to the bill itself or it not allowing a wide enough range of ID are the problem you'd have an argument but ID itself?

So are you just opposing it cause you've been told to?
Because again wouldn't that mean attempting to push to remove ID requirements for the services of a number of other businesses too?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
yeh most of that doesn't address what I've just said infact it seems to echo it in an age when increasingly more things require a form of ID.

Now if you'd said the specifics of this individual iteration of it and the attachments to the bill itself or it not allowing a wide enough range of ID are the problem you'd have an argument but ID itself?

So are you just opposing it cause you've been told to?
Because again wouldn't that mean attempting to push to remove ID requirements for the services of a number of other businesses too?
Voter ID is a solution in search of a problem. Just because people have invented the idea of a problem, however, does not mean that there is one.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Enforcing the law impartially is not the same as being an impartial person. No person is impartial in their personal estimations of others, everyone has biases. I do blame them when not doing their jobs. I'm not in here saying they should have arrested her and put her in jail. I'm saying she wanted to be arrested and was never going to prison over this..

Here the difference in arguements: I blame law enforment when they don't properly do their jobs. Many people on left, not necessarily Democrats, blame law enforcement for properly doing their jobs. Some people want to abolish law enforcement, and treat the cops who do their job properly as gestapo. What I don't blame cops for is leaning politically towards the people who support them when they are doing their jobs properly. That is not saying I support police breaking laws, nor is it saying I think one party should deserve special treatment by law enforcement.
And you said this in the context of a thread where we were talking about their home lives?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Voter ID is a solution in search of a problem. Just because people have invented the idea of a problem, however, does not mean that there is one.
I've had to show ID when there was doubt before in the UK.

Hell We have poll card that sometimes get asked for if there's some kind of doubt.