What are you currently playing?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I finished Rez . The best port of this game is the PS4 version now. This version has more bonus features, extra game modes, and VR support for those that are interested or have PSVR. It's been 20 years and this game is aged fine wine. I think Rez was one of the first games I played that used dynamic music in a 3D game. Let alone a rail shooter.
In case you haven't yet. By yourself. Pitch black room. Big screen. Best sound system or headphones you can get. Volume big ups. Play Rez. You're welcome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In case you haven't yet. By yourself. Pitch black room. Big screen. Best sound system or headphones you can get. Volume big ups. Play Rez. You're welcome.
Oh I've already done that more time than I care to count.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I keep trying to replay Factorio, but I just can't do it. Every once in a while I read that there's some new updates and I think how I've never played with trains, or logistic robots, or a bunch of other new stuff, and then I start a new game and play for around an hour before thinking how bored I am. The problem is I've done all the early game slog before and it's not very interesting to me to do it all again.

Other than that I haven't really found a game that really captures my interest lately, I keep trying things and getting bored right away :/ I'm still playing Oracle of Seasons, but in small sessions. I have one more essence to collect and then some side stuff.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played some more Mario 3D World. World 2 is done and now I am doing World 3, which is Ice World. Fun times....

The Super Bell is a freaking game breaker. Add Peach to it, and it's even bigger game breaker most of the time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Days Gone sure looks more and more like poor man's Red Dead 2 by the minute. It's not a bad game but the open world tool kit looks so token by comparison.

You wanna hunt in RDR2? There's 200 different species of animals each with unique habits that you can bait, track and shoot down with a specific type of ammo from a specific type of gun and if you hit a very specific spot you get a pelt anywhere in 1 of 3 possible qualities which you can sell for money, donate for morale or craft into an outfit or a satchel or any kind of reward that is both cosmetic and useful. Also cover your scent. Also factor in the wind. And don't even get me started on the intricacies of fishing.

You wanna hunt in Days Gone? There's 3 animals. Point and shoot, then sell. That's it.

The game also does that mission where you walk slowly next to a blabbering NPC, and the mission where you follow at a distance but not so far away you get failed, or get spotted and failed, or the mission where you ride over to the mission. But where Red Dead has good writing and memorable characters that you like, everybody is a cipher in Days Gone. Lots of bitching and whining from everybody, chief among them protag Deacon who drags his feet everywhere and reminds me of nu Lara for his lack of breath and woe is me attitude to life.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Replaying Ace Combat 7 now that I've played all the Classic games in the series(The PS2 trilogy). I've redone the first 6 missions and now I realize just how many call backs and references to earlier games are in here. I've also learned it's a lot more fun and less annoying when I don't take the storyline seriously(because it's damn stupid when you think about it for any length of time) and just enjoy the pretty airplanes and make fun of the dialogue at every turn(because oh my god the dialogue is silly at times). Also, Osea is beyond a reasonable doubt run by fucking dumbasses.

Redoing the entire campaign as a New Game + so I have a bunch of the advanced planes, parts and SW unlocked, so it's hilarious to waltz into the early missions in an F-22 while everyone else is flying F-16's and I have more missiles then I know what to do with. Even better now I see I can cosplay my airplane with skins from the older games, so of course I had to do the first mission as an F-15C with the Galm(Dammit Japan) Emblem, and when I realized the Morgan from AC:Zero was included and has the burst missiles of doom, I was delighted.(Sadly the Morgan kinda sucks ass to try to land because of how fast it flies). I am also kinda sad I can't mount the burst missiles and the big laser at the same time, nor I do I have Pixy's Plot Armor which protects everything but my front engine intakes for reasons.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Played through Little Misfortune. It was meh. I kind of liked the interaction between Misfortune and the Narrator, but it got old pretty quick with how obviously evil the Narrator was. Didn't help that the game was trying pretty hard to be funny, but for the most part, just wasn't. Also every twist was really obvious and right from the beginning I suspected we were going to die crossing the road so the twist being it actually happened wasn't very shocking. The visuals are pretty nice, and the voice actors do a fairly good job, even though Misfortune has a bizarre unplaceable accent. The script just wasn't good enough. The ending also felt very abrupt, it seemed like there should have been a bit more to it, but it just stopped.

Also for a game that brings up right away how choices are important, it really doesn't feel like any choice really mattered at all.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I ended up feeling the pull of Ultrakill and I got it. So far its pretty awesome and much more playable then I was worried it wouldn't be.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I finally started DS2 and I got more hooked than I expected, must have put a 10 hour session right there lol. Loving the feel of the world and the newer combat mechanics. Dying turning you green is interesting too, though losing life sucks. Also they made the slow rolls really weak in this one so I think I may end up being speedier. So far only beat 2 bosses, the giant and the flying knight, giant was super easy and died in 1 try but the knight got me a bunch, I eventually got down his patterns though and he wasn't too bad. Also I love the minor quality of life improvements like being able to grab items while blocking and having access to warping between bonefires from the start.

Now the plan is to not look like a naked teenage mutant ninja turtle any more (if you're undead the green skin makes you look exactly like that when you have that turtle armor on lol) and to enhance the royal greatsword I just got a drop of.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
My latest go on The Outer Worlds, now that the 2nd DLC is out, has been interesting. I started it, then started over before leaving Edgewater. I was going to do a melee build. Years ago I basically forced myself to try out a melee build in Fallout 3... and wound out having as much or more fun than several of my other builds. Ever since, with FO:NV and Fallout 4, the melee build has been particularly joyous for me. Anyone watching LRR's Graham and his Fallout 4 let's play "Agatha Fisty" knows how entertaining that can be. Especially when you beeline for the Blitz perk, which turns your character into basically Nightcrawler in VATS.

But melee in The Outer Worlds... wasn't clicking for me. I got near the end of Edgewater and thought... "I don't want to keep on playing the rest of the game like this." Now I've switched to a more science focused build, and am having some fun with science weapons... although my sniper and gunslinger earlier builds were more entertaining. The question I have though, if you follow through with a melee build... does it get better? My specific problem is unlike VATS, TTD is just a time slow down. You can't input a bunch of targeted strikes and then just watch your character bamfing around stoving in heads and lopping off arms and legs. And that just destroys melee for me in The Outer Worlds.

Side note, I can't check right now. Did anyone ever mod VATS into Skyrim. I can't even imagine how much better Skyrim would have been with VATS and the Blitz perk.

Sidetracked, sorry. Can't comment yet on the new DLC, just hit the level appropriate to start it. Probably go through it this weekend.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I started playing Total War: Warhammer 2 and somehow the need had arisen to train more soldiers. I looked all over the UI for my city and just could not figure out how to do it. Luckily the first result on google had my answer. Lol, thanks @Samtemdo8
My question was me coming from Medieval 2 which makes you train units from buildings/settlements and I didn't know you do it from the armies themselves.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My latest go on The Outer Worlds, now that the 2nd DLC is out, has been interesting. I started it, then started over before leaving Edgewater. I was going to do a melee build. Years ago I basically forced myself to try out a melee build in Fallout 3... and wound out having as much or more fun than several of my other builds. Ever since, with FO:NV and Fallout 4, the melee build has been particularly joyous for me. Anyone watching LRR's Graham and his Fallout 4 let's play "Agatha Fisty" knows how entertaining that can be. Especially when you beeline for the Blitz perk, which turns your character into basically Nightcrawler in VATS.
Yeah Many a True Nerd did a "No Guns" run of FO 4, which was a melee build. He named his character Bacon....because he's just silly that way. And yes, she was rather insane with her teleporting assassination. It was actually pretty interesting how well you could stealth kill a series of people with that blitz jumping, and a melee weapon, and the stealth/sneak attack perks.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
My FO 3 one was a Heavy Weapon/melee run. Mostly the rock-it launcher firing teddy bears and wads of pre-war cash and/or sledgehammer to face. New Vegas was my favorite, as I did a golf clubs only run. FO 4 was the first time I did a fists/"unarmed" only run.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My FO 3 one was a Heavy Weapon/melee run. Mostly the rock-it launcher firing teddy bears and wads of pre-war cash and/or sledgehammer to face. New Vegas was my favorite, as I did a golf clubs only run. FO 4 was the first time I did a fists/"unarmed" only run.
Yeah, I did a Dr. McNinja run in New Vegas, just to amuse me long enough to finish that game (didn't like it personally). That was probably my first time doing a melee run. I think I transitioned to guns near the end? I honestly don't recall. I just remember getting the labcoat, a katana, and one of the legion face masks that most closely approximated a ninja head wrap. I took perks that vaguely made narrative sense for McNinja (like the medicine perk that improved your damage, etc).

My first real attempt at a melee build in a bethesda game was Skyrim, and I found it insanely fun. I actually found it easier than an stealth/archer build, because if you do a stealth kill, where it goes to the cinematic killcam, that is a silent takedown. But even if you one shot someone with an arrow, they still make enough noise to agro nearby enemies. And with a mod that let daggers perk up like every other weapon, it was very easy to stay on par with damage output, to be an actual assassin. That was especially fun.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Oh yeah forgot to mention above, I absolutely adore that life regen ring. Now I don't need to use souls to get miracles because the only time I'd use em would be after fights to heal minor chips, now the ring does that as I run about so I can just ignore attunement and faith and put those points on my strength and vitality.

Yeah, I did a Dr. McNinja run in New Vegas, just to amuse me long enough to finish that game (didn't like it personally). That was probably my first time doing a melee run. I think I transitioned to guns near the end? I honestly don't recall. I just remember getting the labcoat, a katana, and one of the legion face masks that most closely approximated a ninja head wrap. I took perks that vaguely made narrative sense for McNinja (like the medicine perk that improved your damage, etc).

My first real attempt at a melee build in a bethesda game was Skyrim, and I found it insanely fun. I actually found it easier than an stealth/archer build, because if you do a stealth kill, where it goes to the cinematic killcam, that is a silent takedown. But even if you one shot someone with an arrow, they still make enough noise to agro nearby enemies. And with a mod that let daggers perk up like every other weapon, it was very easy to stay on par with damage output, to be an actual assassin. That was especially fun.
I also did a ninja playthrough, though I was specifically a Naruto sort of ninja, mainly entailed a lot of fat man usage.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
My question was me coming from Medieval 2 which makes you train units from buildings/settlements and I didn't know you do it from the armies themselves.
Same. I assumed the recruit that appeared on the hero was hiring mercenaries or something.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Mentioned it somewhere else but Final Fantasy XII, and I'm liking it so far, the gambit system is really fun to mess around with and messing with the licenses without looking in anything up is fun enough, I do realise that means my builds are sub-optimal but I prefer messing with it hoping something I want comes up than looking it up online, that being said it's kinda weird in that it flip-flops from being so stupidly easy it plays itself to challenging and I actually need to think up a strategy, which TBH I kinda appreciate because I don't really want to be micro-managing everything while fighting mobs in the field and it's appreciated that unless you grind too much or go after a bounty later than when it's available fighting bosses is a bit more engaging and fun which is at it should be I think, the dungeons so far seem pretty easy though I'm in the desert.

The story so far is interesting, to be honest I'm a bit disappointed that it's not as cutting as Final Fantasy Tactics which is by the same team and although in a very different setting one that's also called Ivalice (I haven't played Vagrant Story yet but I want to) or the story for the Tactics Ogre games, while I do appreciate the criticisms of Imperialism and the horrors of war it feels kinda basic considering how class conscious both FFT & Tactics Ogre are, particularly because there's only two poor people in the main cast which one of them being the protagonist Vann but while he starts trying to steal from the rich to give to the poor he just doesn't seem to interact much with the wider politics of what's going on, not in the way that Ramza, Denam or Alphonse do in the other games, with him mostly coming across as a fairly generic protagonist, and don't get me wrong part of the appeal of Ramza for example is that he was your typical straight laced knight but in a world much too complex to be defined simply by good and evil as well as something similar with Denam except you get to dictate whether he faces it with ruthlessness or kindness basically while I don't hate Vann he just stopped doing interesting stuff after Penelo got kidnapped, and while I hope he will get more to do in the story the story seems to be hinting that his motivation will be his crush on Ashe, which I mean it's fine but so far it seems like he will be tagging along in a story that's more about Ashe & Basch's struggle to reclaim the throne, which is fine and how they've established the characters of Larsa & Vayne makes me think there's going to be some of that political complexity which is the signature of Fantasy games by this team, but that's the thing there's going to be, meaning while it's not entirely simple or basic I'm a substantial amount of time into the game and I haven't seen what I expected yet, this is odd since other games by this team get right to the point, with maybe Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis being one that takes a while to show it to you, but even then not this long.

All that being said I am really enjoying the game and I by no means think it's bad, I just have expectations based on the team's previous works which are all games I love and I wanted to see that but in the scale of a mainline Final Fantasy game, which is to say with extremely lavish production values, while it should've been obvious that it was going to be a bit more streamlined and less political than let's say "We're literally opening with class warfare and you're with the bad guys" that is Final Fantasy Tactics.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mentioned it somewhere else but Final Fantasy XII, and I'm liking it so far, the gambit system is really fun to mess around with and messing with the licenses without looking in anything up is fun enough, I do realise that means my builds are sub-optimal but I prefer messing with it hoping something I want comes up than looking it up online, that being said it's kinda weird in that it flip-flops from being so stupidly easy it plays itself to challenging and I actually need to think up a strategy, which TBH I kinda appreciate because I don't really want to be micro-managing everything while fighting mobs in the field and it's appreciated that unless you grind too much or go after a bounty later than when it's available fighting bosses is a bit more engaging and fun which is at it should be I think, the dungeons so far seem pretty easy though I'm in the desert.

The story so far is interesting, to be honest I'm a bit disappointed that it's not as cutting as Final Fantasy Tactics which is by the same team and although in a very different setting one that's also called Ivalice (I haven't played Vagrant Story yet but I want to) or the story for the Tactics Ogre games, while I do appreciate the criticisms of Imperialism and the horrors of war it feels kinda basic considering how class conscious both FFT & Tactics Ogre are, particularly because there's only two poor people in the main cast which one of them being the protagonist Vann but while he starts trying to steal from the rich to give to the poor he just doesn't seem to interact much with the wider politics of what's going on, not in the way that Ramza, Denam or Alphonse do in the other games, with him mostly coming across as a fairly generic protagonist, and don't get me wrong part of the appeal of Ramza for example is that he was your typical straight laced knight but in a world much too complex to be defined simply by good and evil as well as something similar with Denam except you get to dictate whether he faces it with ruthlessness or kindness basically while I don't hate Vann he just stopped doing interesting stuff after Penelo got kidnapped, and while I hope he will get more to do in the story the story seems to be hinting that his motivation will be his crush on Ashe, which I mean it's fine but so far it seems like he will be tagging along in a story that's more about Ashe & Basch's struggle to reclaim the throne, which is fine and how they've established the characters of Larsa & Vayne makes me think there's going to be some of that political complexity which is the signature of Fantasy games by this team, but that's the thing there's going to be, meaning while it's not entirely simple or basic I'm a substantial amount of time into the game and I haven't seen what I expected yet, this is odd since other games by this team get right to the point, with maybe Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis being one that takes a while to show it to you, but even then not this long.

All that being said I am really enjoying the game and I by no means think it's bad, I just have expectations based on the team's previous works which are all games I love and I wanted to see that but in the scale of a mainline Final Fantasy game, which is to say with extremely lavish production values, while it should've been obvious that it was going to be a bit more streamlined and less political than let's say "We're literally opening with class warfare and you're with the bad guys" that is Final Fantasy Tactics.
The way dialoge is written in this game kills it for me. Nobody can talk like a human being. Instead of saying something like 'I will see that it gets done', they'll say 'I shall thoroughly make certain that this act is for sure achieved post haste' and in the driest damn voice too.

OT: Playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses again, doing the Golden Deer run. I just got to the point where everyone starts looking super fucking swank, and eventhough I've already played the Black Eagle run it still gets me so hyped seeing everyone all grown up and awesome looking.

Reactions: Drathnoxis