Chauvin Found Guilty of All Charges

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
That seems worse, actually; if they get off the stronger charge, but would've been found guilty on a lesser charge, then the defendant gets off even if the jury believes beyond reasonable doubt that they did it.
They could only charge him for murder, manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. The prosecutor would need to prove that Chauvin left the police station with the intention to kill Floyd to charge him with murder. This would most assuredly not lead to a guilty verdict. The U.S. seems unique in that you can be charged for all three at once at varying degrees of severity per charge. In most European countries it would 'just' be manslaughter

Reactions: Sora383

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
As happy as I am to see the convictions get confirmed by the jury, I have to be that guy and point out he still has the appeal process so it’s not a totally done deal yet.

Even the judge stated that some senators statements over the weekend (sorry totally brain farting on her name) opened the door to an appeal. So until the appeal process is taken care of and the charges are confirmed I’m still a bit concerned with things being overturned or having another trial have to take place and putting a burden back on the city.

Reactions: Kae

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I look forward to Tucker Carlson declaring that he was some "sacrificial lamb on the altar of the left's agenda to destroy america. To appease the savage hordes prepared to riot in the streets."
Anything yet?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I've seen it proposed that this is entirely just meant to be a false trial so that they can have an actual one without a crowd threatening to burn the building down if they don't get the verdict they want.

Reactions: gorfias

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
As happy as I am to see the convictions get confirmed by the jury, I have to be that guy and point out he still has the appeal process so it’s not a totally done deal yet.

Even the judge stated that some senators statements over the weekend (sorry totally brain farting on her name) opened the door to an appeal. So until the appeal process is taken care of and the charges are confirmed I’m still a bit concerned with things being overturned or having another trial have to take place and putting a burden back on the city.
Chances seem good that the sentencing will be reduced in appeals that don't happen with a mob outside.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I've seen it proposed that this is entirely just meant to be a false trial so that they can have an actual one without a crowd threatening to burn the building down if they don't get the verdict they want.
You mean the same way that Trump is totally going to still have the "real" inauguration?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anything yet?
Oh I have no clue, I don't watch fox. I just assume he will try and frame it as an innocent cop, just doing his duty to protect good, decent, christian citizens of murica, being denied justice and a true trial, because biden something something, liberal agenda, etc etc. You know the shit he would say.

Of course that's assuming they air the story at all, and don't instead focus entirely on how dr. seuss is an attack on their god given rights as a murican

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Buddy of mine is a cop and supports the verdict. I'll defer to his understanding of proper use of force.

Reactions: BrawlMan and CM156

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, that's one way to cope.
"It's my mental illness, I get to choose the coping mechanism"

You mean the same way that Trump is totally going to still have the "real" inauguration?
Any day now. Jesus will inaugurate him and send all the liberals to hell, where they'll be condemned to universal health care and properly funded national infrastructure.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I look forward to Tucker Carlson declaring that he was some "sacrificial lamb on the altar of the left's agenda to destroy america. To appease the savage hordes prepared to riot in the streets."
I too, am looking forward to the impotent pants shitting rage of the white trust fund babies such as Tucky Bucky who can't stand to see a cop get punished for killing a black man

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, but will this finally become the new norm - cops held accountable for their actions (against black people) - or will this verdict be used to placate the public, as we see the majority of cops, like the one who shot that 13-year old kid, still get away with this shit?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The U.S. seems unique in that you can be charged for all three at once at varying degrees of severity per charge. In most European countries it would 'just' be manslaughter
Yeah. A maximum of 40 years seems absurd. Here it would be a maximum of 8 (something akin to 2nd degree murder) but probably less (manslaughter). But the justice systems are very different, I get that.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Yeah, but will this finally become the new norm - cops held accountable for their actions (against black people) - or will this verdict be used to placate the public, as we see the majority of cops, like the one who shot that 13-year old kid, still get away with this shit?
Either it becomes the new norm, or it becomes an excellent argument in favor of burning down police precincts.

Reactions: Seanchaidh