Steven Speilberg's new movie, a remake of the musical classic, West Side Story.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

This happens to be my favorite musical of all time so I am cautious about Speilberg's take on it because the Best Picture Winning 1961 film is a classic.

To those that don't know what West Side Story is:

Its Romeo and Juliet.

Only this time, instead of Renaissance Verona Italy, its now in New York City USA circa 1959-61. In West Side Manhattan

Instead of the Capulets and Montegues noble families, Its now Street Gangsters, the Capulets being the Puerto Rican Immigrant gang called the Sharks, and the Montegues being the local New Yorker Gang called the Jets (Probabaly a mix of Irish/Italian/East European descents)

And our Romeo and Juliet is Tony a former Jet Member, and Maria the younger Sister of the leader of the Sharks. And instead of a noble feud, its Gang warfare motivated by racism from the Jets. And all this conflict and romance is set to music and dancing

This Speilberg version is obviously taking the original 1961 film adaption for inspiration though, and that film won the Best Picture Oscar of that year.

But what I wonder is can this movie work in today's social and cultural climate. A movie about gang warfare motivated by an anti-immigration stance from one side and this is all set to romance and music and dancing?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Why remake someone's based on Romeo and Juliet film, as opposed to making another film based on Romeo and Juliet?

Ok, brand name recognition, but still.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not interested. I'm sure the film will be fine, but there is really no need to remake this film. I remember in high school they did a play on this.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Not interested. I'm sure the film will be fine, but there is really no need to remake this film. I remember in high school they did a play on this.
The film was an adaptation of the stage musical.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
OK but why Steven?
What exactly was it about the 1961 adaptation was it that made you think it had any need or scope to be remade?
For the same reason there are three adaptations of "Murder on the Orient Express". Or Christ knows how many of "A Star is Born." And you know what fuck me, sixty years is a pretty good gap between drinks.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wonder if Spielberg will keep the downer ending. Haven't see him do anything but crowd-pleasers in a while.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I withhold judgment until I hear them singing, but looking at that splash image for the video, there's something about Tony (Ansel Elgort) that just bugs me, and I can't place it.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's difficult not to hold a grudge against SS for the appallingly stupid and tone deaf adaptation of Ready Player One. I'm at the point of questioning whether, like Ridley Scott, his talent has reached its Sell By Date. I know it's gross to hear for some but I was kind of a fan of the modern reimaginings of Shakespeare, but I'd be more excited if it were something like that. No real interest in a do-over for a perfectly functional film.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I withhold judgment until I hear them singing, but looking at that splash image for the video, there's something about Tony (Ansel Elgort) that just bugs me, and I can't place it.
I think I've pinned it he looks like if if Young Leonardo Dicaprio and a young Lillo Brancato Jr. did the Fusion Dance

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
It's difficult not to hold a grudge against SS for the appallingly stupid and tone deaf adaptation of Ready Player One.
I don't think RPO was anything but a cash gig for Steve.
West Side Story might be something more up his alley. Old-timey, a bit sentimental classic.

But then again, Bridge of Spies was only so-so despite feeling more personal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's difficult not to hold a grudge against SS for the appallingly stupid and tone deaf adaptation of Ready Player One.
I don't hold a grudge against Spielberg on RPO. The movie is better than the book, and the novel is way worse and even more self absorbent. Full of Memberberries and references from the 80s or 90s in film or game pop-culture. The movie came and went. I felt no need to see it a second time nor buy it on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
But what I wonder is can this movie work in today's social and cultural climate. A movie about gang warfare motivated by an anti-immigration stance from one side and this is all set to romance and music and dancing?
You're leaving out that the story ends with Tony dying, and the message that prejudice is bad.

The message might not be 'hard' enough, but the message is fine regardless of context. The dancing ends with a gunshot after all (or knifing, I can't remember).

Why remake someone's based on Romeo and Juliet film, as opposed to making another film based on Romeo and Juliet?
We need a Pyramus & Thisbe adaptation. :p

Wonder if Spielberg will keep the downer ending. Haven't see him do anything but crowd-pleasers in a while.
Um, what?

Spielberg's prior two films were Ready Player One and The Post. RPO is definitely a crowd pleaser, The Post definitely isn't.

Looking at Spielberg's filmography over the past decade, there's stuff like RPO and BFG in there, but Spielberg's generally kept himself cerebral, so to speak.

Say what?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
OK but why Steven?
What exactly was it about the 1961 adaptation was it that made you think it had any need or scope to be remade?
Something Something merchandising?

I haven't seen the film in a while but I remember it being totally serviceable for what it is. Not my favorite movie musical but also not a trainwreck like Phantom was(Do not get the me started on Phantom).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Something Something merchandising?

I haven't seen the film in a while but I remember it being totally serviceable for what it is. Not my favorite movie musical but also not a trainwreck like Phantom was.
Beyond a cast recording album and maybe a spike in retro 50s clothing sales what the hell do you merchandise from a musical based on a Shakespeare tragedy with a sneaky ‘racism is bad m’kay’ message?