Stuff You've Changed Your Mind On

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, Empire certainly did break the themes and feel of the first movie, didn't make a lot of sense, had most characters waste their time getting chased while one character gets training for what, maybe a week? Probably 2 to 3 days. That sure will make him a master. Made you realise that Obi-wan is an asshole for lying and sending 1 jedi against the whole Empire despite him hiding away because he's a coward. Yodas a coward, 'sure I'll train you but I definitely wont fight WITH you.' Great job Jedi. Your making old Luke look good.
Eh, I don't really think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the story structure of "previous generation/establishment made some major mistakes, and the next generation has to fix them." That's a pretty standard story device, especially in the Hero's Journey arc. The Mentor character is often the guy who survived the previous screw up, is broken and defeated as a result, and is reluctantly convinced to come back into service by the optimism and hope of the protagonist and their plucky band. They then usually do one last heroic thing, often at the cost of their life, officially passing the torch onto the younger protag.

So to me, there isn't anything wrong with how Empire set things up, because a million stories have done that similar premise. The issue that made the new trilogy difficult to handle, to me at least, is twofold.

1. Return ended with a "Happily Ever After" ending. This isn't fundamentally a problem, as new generations come into play, new problems arise, and a new Big Problem is perfectly logical to have happen. But to me, the problem they had, was due to point 2.

2. They tried to tie it all back to the original trilogy. Instead of just making a new set of characters with their own stories, they were compelled to shoe horn in the ties to the original trilogy. They felt compelled, due to the nerdosphere that has funneled billions of dollars into the franchise frothing at the mouth, to drag the geriatric actors back into service, because if they didn't do that, the angry nerd mob would've tried to raze Disney to the ground. So they had to make (some really bad) links to the original characters. Some worked, some didn't, and the story arcs they felt were the way to go with the conclusion of the story, just fell flat.

If they had just made a clean cut, maybe establish some familial links to the OT cast, but not have it be the key plot element, but just a case of next generation working, it would've been fine, to me at least. But no, they had to link back on every level they could conceive, even literally resurrecting characters that had been established as gone in previous stories, just so they can have another tie back to the OT.

I still think FA and TLJ are perfectly fine films, but Rise just sort of shit the bed on a lot of levels. It doesn't make me retroactively hate the original films or anything though, because that kind of thinking is just silly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I never felt the sequel trilogy justified the continued rebels vs. empire struggle. You get stans explaining to you why it totally makes the sense, but the movies don't even bother showing or even explaining. Just a bad case of cognitive dissonance.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Lost. I used to really love it. I even defended the ending. But now, the thought of watching it again makes me feel exhausted. So many episodes for a story that never really goes anywhere.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Tenchi in Tokyo. Back when it aired on Toonami, I liked it well enough. I don't hate the show, but I am not that enamored with TiT either. The show is mediocre overall, and was starting to show the formula was wearing thin, despite having some new or interesting ideas. The animation got worse and does look remarkably cheap (aside from the few final episodes), nearly all of the characters became even bigger jerks or even dumber in Mishohi's case, and the villain is someone we're suppose to smypathize with, but it falls flat hard on a pavement full of broken glass. Yugi is a girl that is walking tyke bomb of mass destruction made by the Jurians, because their dumb asses with bugs up their anal holes. It's never properly explained why they made her, and are shocked that brat with nuke type powers would use her powers for mindless destruction, or thinking it's all a game to her. You idiots, what the fuck you think was going to happen. Yugi later gets sealed and breaks out somehow, but was sent to Earth when that happened. Making it a case of somebody else's problem. Fuck you again, Jurai!

The Tench series always seemed to have to problem when it came to female villains. Almost all of them are meant to be seen in a tragic or sympathetic light (Yuzuha from Daughter of Darkness is the only one not to be seen as sympathetic, but has a alas poor villain moment at her death), but it never works. Sakuya, another possible love interests is not even real, and is a creation of Yugi. Though I give the writer props for that twist. It's still would have been nice to have a love interest of Tenchi be someone from Earth and not another space alien. Yugi never gets punished for all of the stuff she did, aside from a slap from Tenchi. She's put in to a cold sleep, until one she will wake up and become mature enough emotionally, but yeah, that's a canyon stretch. And Yugi ends being a possible love interests as implied in the ending. Oh, fucking joy!

Tenchi himself actually has more backbone and snark in this show, than any other version. Giving a somewhat realistic take on teenager who has a gaggle of women getting too involved with his private affairs and personal space. @Casual Shinji I still disagree with you about Tenchi's character, but if you want him with more personality, Tokyo is the answer you seek. Assuming you have not seen it already.

Another problem with the Tokyo series, is that the first 11 episodes plays off and assumes the viewers seen Universe. The show tries to act like it's a sequel, until the 12th episode does a in medias res flashback about everyone's origins. Ryoko and Washu are partners in crime for some reason, and their shot shown of two thieves stealing something from the Misaki shrine, and is never brought up ever again. Why even bother with that? Which goes to show you they had no idea what they wanted to do, and decided to create another alternate continuity. Which kinda works fine, because you have the movies, but the Tenchi films never aired on Toonami, aside from the first two on Sci-Fi's anime block at the time. So most kids or teens are going to assume that Tokyo was meant to be seen as sequel, and it's clearly not the case halfway in to the series. I did not even see all of the movies, until midway in to high school.

Tenchi in Tokyo had good ideas, but too much wasted potential. I find it pointless, to buy that series, unless you're getting for nostalgia or completionist sake. Or if you want to hear Petrea Burchard as Ryoko one last time. This and Forever was the last time she voiced the character before retiring.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Higurashi. I watched the first four episodes when I was in highschool and hated it. I watched the dub and just didn't like it at all. I wasn't much into horror and the character voices probably really turned me off the show. About 8 years later I suddenly remembered the show and decided to give it another chance. I watched it in Japanese with subtitles this time and loved it! I thought it was great and had a fantastic and satisfying ending with Kai.

Dragon Ball Z

DBZ and me go back to high school, where I was introduced to the series in the Captain Ginyu arc, and where my enjoyment was "fighting, explosions, shouts, kewl!" As an adult though? Ugh. Assinine dialogue, lots of filler, and I've got conceptual problems with the show as well, on two levels. The first is that its approach to victory is "get stronger" in every case. Villain A comes, heroes defeat Villain A. Villain B comes, is stronger than Villian A, heroes train to beat Villian B. Villain C comes and, look, you get the idea. This isn't bad in of itself, but it becomes very trite. I can't help but think of many other heroes where their 'power level' remains the same, so they have to adapt to beat the bad guys in various ways. But DBZ has another issue, and that's what I refer to as biological determinism. Basically, in this setting, you're either a saiyan, or you're useless. As in, it's in-universe that no human will ever be as powerful as a saiyan can be. One species is outright 'better' than another. Now, this isn't new per se (take elves and humans for instance), but usually there's something to offset this (e.g. humans have better numbers). DBZ however, doesn't do this. And while I doubt the series thinks much of this, it does mean that practically speaking, one group of characters is inherently more valuable than another set.
You should really watch the first series, Dragon Ball. I found it superior in almost every way. Humour, adventure, pacing, variety. Even the fights were more enjoyable for only lasting a couple episodes at most and not THIRTY EPISODES like the Freeza fight. The filler is even actually enjoyable, and adds a lot to the story, rather than just d r a g g i n g e v e r y t h i n g o u t like in DBZ.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Legend of Korra - My hate for this show grows deeper each year. I thought the show was okay, but after multiple viewings; espeically of seasons 3 & 4, the quality only diminished. Multiple retcons that destroy the mythology and Yin-Yang philosophy for generic Light vs. Dark (fuck everything in Seasons 2), character assassination or having the old cast do things out-of-character (Aang and Toph especially suffered from this), fustrating new ones that are useless or not funny, copying the worst aspects of DBZ/DBZ fanfiction (once again, fuck you Season 2), and the deus ex machina that was the ending of Season 1.

Also, the fuck the horrible romance. They wasted two seasons on a bad love triangle that got annoying and too much in the way of the plot. ATALB had basic romance, but it never got in the way of the overall story. Now some of the comic continuations had that problem, but we won't talk about that. The more I see it, the more I see that Mike & Bryan got high off their hype from the previous show, and did not learn or made worst mistakes than their previous show. Avatar had its own share of problems: certain story arcs were dropped or rushed, energy bending was an ass pull no matter if they planned to introduce it, yet could not find the time (then don't waste time on filler or certain side characters that don't mean much), and big gaps in schedule of releasing episodes in the STATES. Yet other countries got episodes of Season 3 earlier than the US for some reason. Though that is more of a fault of Nick, than the production team. That does not change the fact they still screwed up badly, and is in the same league as fucking up like Bleach or Naruto. The fact I sold all of my LOK season box sets 8 months after the show ended proves my point. The twist with Asami and Korra being a couple with not much hint or subtly, aside from unofficial fan wank/fan theories from Season 3, were only done to have a pat on the back and say "Hey, we're progressive too". Who do you think people are going to remember LOK for? The sequel to one of the best animated series of the early 2000s, or the show where two of the lead female characters become lesbians just to seem progressive?

Sorry to sound cynical about that last part. I don't mind equality, but I've seen parts like this done better in Steven Universe, and I don't even like that show.
Legend of Korra was such a disappointment. I gave up after the second season, but I couldn't stand the show after the mess of the first. The writing was so sloppy compared to ATLA. They only had 12 episodes to tell their story, and they wasted so much on love triangles and meaningless pro bending matches that they had to cram all of the plot development into the last episode and none of it worked because of that. And it sucks because Amon was actually a pretty cool villain, but they completely ruined him at the end. There's just so much to hate in the first season alone, and the second season is even worse! I could spend hours talking about everything the show does wrong, and probably have on several occasions.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
OT: Signs. I still enjoy this movie on some levels, but the blatant Hollywood Atheist trope that is the premise, really annoys me these days. I used to not really notice that, but after being openly atheist, I've come to notice how media portrays them, and how painfully wrong it is, on so many levels. And how, a story that is actually a horrible case for their god, is portrayed as some kind of life fulfilling event, or some such bullshit.
You know, maybe it's because it's been a couple years since I've last seen the movie, but I don't remember Signs having much of a religious message at all really.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
You should really watch the first series, Dragon Ball. I found it superior in almost every way. Humour, adventure, pacing, variety. Even the fights were more enjoyable for only lasting a couple episodes at most and not THIRTY EPISODES like the Freeza fight. The filler is even actually enjoyable, and adds a lot to the story, rather than just d r a g g i n g e v e r y t h i n g o u t like in DBZ.
I haven't watched the series, but I have read the manga. And while it does avoid some of the pitfalls of DBZ, it does have its own, and in some ways, are foreshadows of it. For instance, Goku may not be a saiyan (storywise), but he's really the only one that gets anything done, or at the least, he's the one who towers above all the other characters. For instance, I recall how he's able to single handedly storm the Red Ribbon Army base, with bullets bouncing off him.

Also, call me a prude, but the sexual humour wasn't my cup of tea. Bulma has to wear a bunny suit for a bit because...I dunno, the plot demanded it?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, call me a prude, but the sexual humour wasn't my cup of tea. Bulma has to wear a bunny suit for a bit because...I dunno, the plot demanded it?
Yeah, the sexual humor was at it worst in the original series. That is one of the few good things about DBZ. They toned it down a lot. It was still there, but nowhere as prevalent in the DB. Some of it made me laugh, while other time it felt like even Michael Bay would tell Toriyama to tone it down.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You know, maybe it's because it's been a couple years since I've last seen the movie, but I don't remember Signs having much of a religious message at all really.
Really? I mean, the entire personal plot of Mel's character is he was a priest, but then his wife died in a horrible accident, and he gave up his collar, because of his grief and being angry at god. He even has a long talk with his brother about it when they have that late night couch scene. In the flashback scenes of him walking up to his dying wife, the cop says "it's a miracle she's stayed alive this long" or something equivalent. When she sees him, she babbles about all those little clues, that end up being how his family survives the attack of the aliens. When he's talking to the guy who fell asleep driving, and killed his wife, he makes a point to comment about how it was like it was meant to be. "Of all the times to fall asleep, which I've never done before, it was in that one turn, at JUST the right moment to hit your wife." Mel has an epiphany moment standing in the living room at the end, and he sees all the clues his wife rambled on, and uses those clues to save the day. And at the end of the film, the final shot of him is him getting ready for the day, clearly wearing his priest's garb again, because he's apparently found his faith again. Because "it was all part of god's plan." Never mind that that plan is incredibly fucked up, and murderous, it's all good in the end, god loves them!

I will admit that M Knight is more subtle with that particular trope than most creators, but it's still painfully obvious. I think a lot of people don't notice it, because it's so ubiquitous, they don't really see it as a "religious message." They just see it as a normal thing. "Of course the guy is going to lose his faith in god, he lost his wife now he's angry at god" and of course he'll find it by the end, because Hollywood has established that the Default Normal state for a human is to believe in a god. And the aberration is to not believe. So their must be something wrong with him. He's grief stricken, that's what it is. If he could just get over his grief (caused by the very god they are portraying since they are implying the god has the ability to orchestrate events) he would be "fixed."

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Really? I mean, the entire personal plot of Mel's character is he was a priest, but then his wife died in a horrible accident, and he gave up his collar, because of his grief and being angry at god. He even has a long talk with his brother about it when they have that late night couch scene. In the flashback scenes of him walking up to his dying wife, the cop says "it's a miracle she's stayed alive this long" or something equivalent. When she sees him, she babbles about all those little clues, that end up being how his family survives the attack of the aliens. When he's talking to the guy who fell asleep driving, and killed his wife, he makes a point to comment about how it was like it was meant to be. "Of all the times to fall asleep, which I've never done before, it was in that one turn, at JUST the right moment to hit your wife." Mel has an epiphany moment standing in the living room at the end, and he sees all the clues his wife rambled on, and uses those clues to save the day. And at the end of the film, the final shot of him is him getting ready for the day, clearly wearing his priest's garb again, because he's apparently found his faith again. Because "it was all part of god's plan." Never mind that that plan is incredibly fucked up, and murderous, it's all good in the end, god loves them!

I will admit that M Knight is more subtle with that particular trope than most creators, but it's still painfully obvious. I think a lot of people don't notice it, because it's so ubiquitous, they don't really see it as a "religious message." They just see it as a normal thing. "Of course the guy is going to lose his faith in god, he lost his wife now he's angry at god" and of course he'll find it by the end, because Hollywood has established that the Default Normal state for a human is to believe in a god. And the aberration is to not believe. So their must be something wrong with him. He's grief stricken, that's what it is. If he could just get over his grief (caused by the very god they are portraying since they are implying the god has the ability to orchestrate events) he would be "fixed."
Huh, I guess I just really don't remember the movie at all, despite seeing it multiple times. All I remember is a glass of water and an alien.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Huh, I guess I just really don't remember the movie at all, despite seeing it multiple times. All I remember is a glass of water and an alien.
Yes, but see, this is the chain of events implied by the film. God set up circumstances to have Mel's wife killed, so that he could apparently implant the message about "let our daughter see (talking about seeing germs in all water, so she would leave glasses all over), something about their son(i forget what that point was), and for her brother (Joaquin Phoenix) to "swing away" (using his baseball bat from his failed baseball career to fling water at the alien). Apparently the only way he could get this message through, was as she was literally DYING, and her brain was shutting down from bloodloss and, you know....being cut in half by an speeding car. Mel doesn't think anything of this cryptic statement from his wife as he watched her die, and just figured it was her brain firing off weird shit as she died. He even says this to Joaquin in the above mentioned couch scene, where Mel indicates that he saw nothing in his wife's eyes as she died, so that's why he knows there is no god. The entire film is then him wandering around, encountering the townsfolk all constantly calling him Father, and him telling them he's not a priest anymore. His lack of faith at the loss of his wife, is pretty much his single most defining trait as a character, and the fact that his faith is gone, because he is grieving over his wife, is constantly reinforced.

Then we get to the end of the film, and they find that alien in their living room, holding his son. He stands there, and the film makes a point to do that "omg he's having a eureka moment" visual cue, where they zoom in on him, I think at a dutch angle, and then his eyes move around the room, and the camera focuses on all the things, that his wife commented about. He then, after realizing all this, says to Joaquin "Swing away." Which is what his wife said, meaning he's finally learned the message, and then Joaquin proceeds to beat the alien to death with...water splashes, though it seemed that blunt force trauma was clearly working too. He then holds his son who didn't breath in any of the poison gas, because his asthma had shut his lungs so much he couldn't inhale it, thus saving him. Which Mel is weeping as he's saying to himself, basically saying it's all got to mean this, and his son lives, reinforcing this belief. Then, cut to aftermath, him going to work, which is back in the priesthood.

That incredibly convoluted series of events, kicked off by KILLING HIS WIFE, is the way god (supposedly all powerul and all knowing, can do anything he chooses) decides to convey the message that boils down to "Hey the aliens are allergic to water, splash them and you will have an advantage." But he couldn't say that. No, he had to kill his wife, several years PRIOR to the event in question, inflicting life long grief on an entire family, forcing the children to grow up without a mother, instead of just...I don't know, a phone call? A burning bush? And this is a good god, that is worthy of worship apparently, as evidenced by Mel putting the collar back on, since he's found his faith again.

And a LOT of movies do this, and it gets pretty frustrating to a lot of atheists, when we are constantly portrayed as being damaged, and that our lack of belief in invisible people in the sky, must be due to being 'angry at god", and our skepticism is often rewarded with horrific, dramatically ironic deaths.

There is an entire podcast devoted to mocking these types of films, called God Awful Movies, though they do mostly focus on actual christian cinema, as they are the most painfully guilty of this type of bullshit.

But it's a real world thing too. I remember hearing a morning radio color commentary group, comment about....I forget what it was, probably some of the criticism about a shitty movie like God's Not Dead or whatever. And they honestly said, over the radio, that the people who are angry at this film, must just be angry at god. And they weren't joking, the other hosts were all like "oh yeah, that makes sense." Because that's the ONLY version they've ever seen, since they've likely never actually talked to an open atheist in their life (I live in the south, so it's not well accepted to say I'm an atheist), so they all just see them as TV/Film shows them. These bitter, broken people just lashing out at god because feelings. When the reality is most of us come to our atheism by not finding any convincing evidence that any one invisible person in the sky is more real than the thousands of others that humanity have created over the years.

I've had people ask to my face, that very question of "why are you angry at god?" and countless other dumbass things that only illustrate how stupid they are, and lacking in critical thinking or objectivity. And frankly it annoys the shit out of me these days. It has definitely colored my enjoyment of older films/shows when looking back at them, and seeing the rather obvious religious coding in the text, intentional or not. It's so pervasive that people honestly just don't notice it, because it's all they've seen.

Anyway, yeah that's why I've changed my mind on Signs, and other religiously heavy films like Green Mile.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yes, but see, this is the chain of events implied by the film. God set up circumstances to have Mel's wife killed, so that he could apparently implant the message about "let our daughter see (talking about seeing germs in all water, so she would leave glasses all over), something about their son(i forget what that point was), and for her brother (Joaquin Phoenix) to "swing away" (using his baseball bat from his failed baseball career to fling water at the alien). Apparently the only way he could get this message through, was as she was literally DYING, and her brain was shutting down from bloodloss and, you know....being cut in half by an speeding car. Mel doesn't think anything of this cryptic statement from his wife as he watched her die, and just figured it was her brain firing off weird shit as she died. He even says this to Joaquin in the above mentioned couch scene, where Mel indicates that he saw nothing in his wife's eyes as she died, so that's why he knows there is no god. The entire film is then him wandering around, encountering the townsfolk all constantly calling him Father, and him telling them he's not a priest anymore. His lack of faith at the loss of his wife, is pretty much his single most defining trait as a character, and the fact that his faith is gone, because he is grieving over his wife, is constantly reinforced.

Then we get to the end of the film, and they find that alien in their living room, holding his son. He stands there, and the film makes a point to do that "omg he's having a eureka moment" visual cue, where they zoom in on him, I think at a dutch angle, and then his eyes move around the room, and the camera focuses on all the things, that his wife commented about. He then, after realizing all this, says to Joaquin "Swing away." Which is what his wife said, meaning he's finally learned the message, and then Joaquin proceeds to beat the alien to death with...water splashes, though it seemed that blunt force trauma was clearly working too. He then holds his son who didn't breath in any of the poison gas, because his asthma had shut his lungs so much he couldn't inhale it, thus saving him. Which Mel is weeping as he's saying to himself, basically saying it's all got to mean this, and his son lives, reinforcing this belief. Then, cut to aftermath, him going to work, which is back in the priesthood.

That incredibly convoluted series of events, kicked off by KILLING HIS WIFE, is the way god (supposedly all powerul and all knowing, can do anything he chooses) decides to convey the message that boils down to "Hey the aliens are allergic to water, splash them and you will have an advantage." But he couldn't say that. No, he had to kill his wife, several years PRIOR to the event in question, inflicting life long grief on an entire family, forcing the children to grow up without a mother, instead of just...I don't know, a phone call? A burning bush? And this is a good god, that is worthy of worship apparently, as evidenced by Mel putting the collar back on, since he's found his faith again.

And a LOT of movies do this, and it gets pretty frustrating to a lot of atheists, when we are constantly portrayed as being damaged, and that our lack of belief in invisible people in the sky, must be due to being 'angry at god", and our skepticism is often rewarded with horrific, dramatically ironic deaths.

There is an entire podcast devoted to mocking these types of films, called God Awful Movies, though they do mostly focus on actual christian cinema, as they are the most painfully guilty of this type of bullshit.

But it's a real world thing too. I remember hearing a morning radio color commentary group, comment about....I forget what it was, probably some of the criticism about a shitty movie like God's Not Dead or whatever. And they honestly said, over the radio, that the people who are angry at this film, must just be angry at god. And they weren't joking, the other hosts were all like "oh yeah, that makes sense." Because that's the ONLY version they've ever seen, since they've likely never actually talked to an open atheist in their life (I live in the south, so it's not well accepted to say I'm an atheist), so they all just see them as TV/Film shows them. These bitter, broken people just lashing out at god because feelings. When the reality is most of us come to our atheism by not finding any convincing evidence that any one invisible person in the sky is more real than the thousands of others that humanity have created over the years.

I've had people ask to my face, that very question of "why are you angry at god?" and countless other dumbass things that only illustrate how stupid they are, and lacking in critical thinking or objectivity. And frankly it annoys the shit out of me these days. It has definitely colored my enjoyment of older films/shows when looking back at them, and seeing the rather obvious religious coding in the text, intentional or not. It's so pervasive that people honestly just don't notice it, because it's all they've seen.

Anyway, yeah that's why I've changed my mind on Signs, and other religiously heavy films like Green Mile.
Well why are you angry at god? It doesn't make sense to be angry at something you don't think exists.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well why are you angry at god? It doesn't make sense to be angry at something you don't think exists.
I'm going to assume you are joking when asking that question. If you are being serious, please confirm and I will be happy to clarify the misconception.

Because I'd like to think this is a joke, but this question is asked so often IRL that I can't really be certain anymore.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A good number of cartoon network shows, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and OK KO. This probably isn't a huge mind change, I didn't start from hating any of them, but I did go from thinking some of them were ehh, its ok, to damn, that is pretty fantastic.

Adventure Time - It seemed interesting and I liked what I saw originally but it didn't really grab me when it was mainly about Finn and Jake just beating up whatever, eventually I watched it all, right before the final season aired and really really liked it. It wasn't till they started getting more of an over arching plot that the show really grabbed me and became awesome.

Steven Universe - This one made a kinda meh first impression, it seemed like it was a clumsy kid that was just being lugged around with these powerful ladies and he was kinda annoying, I ended up watching more and it went from meh to its fine, then ok pretty good then we got to the end of season 1 with the episode "the Return" and "Jail Break" and holy shit, the show became awesome after that.

OK KO - I was initially totally not interested in this one, you had kinda weird character designs and it appeared to really suffered from the 'lol random' which can be good. I ended up checking out the show at the request of a friend of mine and it was good, well, it varied between pretty good and too random, I mean they had a captain planet episode and in one Sonic the Hedgehog shows up, just weird, although they kinda work. But the final season is pretty gold, like they start going with more plot and less random and the end of the series is really good and its got probably the best epilogue episode I've seen.

I suppose My Little Pony Friendship is Magic would fall under the same category. I really liked the look of it but trying to watch it proved futile, just didn't click at all. I showed my friend some of the pony vids people made online, he ended up being confused and wanting to find out why this huge fandom had grown around it and watched all of season 1 and on one of our drink nights he was like, we are watching ponies, we watched a few episodes, it was ok. This continued for a bit, watching a few more episodes each drink night, Rarity ended up becoming my fav after 'Suited for Success' and I kept watching to see more episodes with her, eventually I had gone through season 1 and 2 and become a big series fan.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I suppose My Little Pony Friendship is Magic would fall under the same category. I really liked the look of it but trying to watch it proved futile, just didn't click at all. I showed my friend some of the pony vids people made online, he ended up being confused and wanting to find out why this huge fandom had grown around it and watched all of season 1 and on one of our drink nights he was like, we are watching ponies, we watched a few episodes, it was ok. This continued for a bit, watching a few more episodes each drink night, Rarity ended up becoming my fav after 'Suited for Success' and I kept watching to see more episodes with her, eventually I had gone through season 1 and 2 and become a big series fan.
I've never sat down and watched the show, but I have seen a few episodes here and there when I was visiting with my god daughters when they were younger. They were enjoyable, and I remember one episdoe, it was a Halloween episode, and...I don't know which pony it is, but she was dressed like a chicken, and was running around squawking. And I remember she was just cranked up to 11 the whole episode, and one of the other ponies, like pinned her in an alley or something, and covered her mouth and was like "Be quiet!" Because something she thought was serious was going on, and she didn't want to give their position away. And the pony dressed like a chicken, just, without any change in her demeanor, STILL running around cranked to 11, says "OK!" as loud as she could, but it was all muffled so you just heard this really loud, enthusiastic, playful "MMMFMMFF!!" And...I just lost it, for like a good 10 minutes. I don't know what it was, well yes I do, it was the voice actress' delivery of the OK! but muffled, I just found it hilarious, and was having giggle fits for the rest of the episode. To the point that my god daughters were a little worried about me on the couch.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've never sat down and watched the show, but I have seen a few episodes here and there when I was visiting with my god daughters when they were younger. They were enjoyable, and I remember one episdoe, it was a Halloween episode, and...I don't know which pony it is, but she was dressed like a chicken, and was running around squawking. And I remember she was just cranked up to 11 the whole episode, and one of the other ponies, like pinned her in an alley or something, and covered her mouth and was like "Be quiet!" Because something she thought was serious was going on, and she didn't want to give their position away. And the pony dressed like a chicken, just, without any change in her demeanor, STILL running around cranked to 11, says "OK!" as loud as she could, but it was all muffled so you just heard this really loud, enthusiastic, playful "MMMFMMFF!!" And...I just lost it, for like a good 10 minutes. I don't know what it was, well yes I do, it was the voice actress' delivery of the OK! but muffled, I just found it hilarious, and was having giggle fits for the rest of the episode. To the point that my god daughters were a little worried about me on the couch.
That is a really good episode. Sounds like Pinkie Pie does it for you, she is the most cartoony of the cast, if there is some looney toons antics that need to go on, she will deliver.

She also has a habit of not giving a fuck in the face of eminent danger.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
damn, that is pretty fantastic.

Adventure Time - It seemed interesting and I liked what I saw originally but it didn't really grab me when it was mainly about Finn and Jake just beating up whatever, eventually I watched it all, right before the final season aired and really really liked it. It wasn't till they started getting more of an over arching plot that the show really grabbed me and became awesome.
I'm the opposite with adventure Time. Well I didn't mind a overarching story plots, all the characters became bigger jerks. The ones that were nicer anyway. This is especially true for princess bubblegum. She became unbearable and it basically took to the last few seasons to tell down her assholery and finally get called out on it. I did see the last few episodes of the series finale just for completion sake. But I don't think I'm ever going to watch the show again.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That is a really good episode. Sounds like Pinkie Pie does it for you, she is the most cartoony of the cast, if there is some looney toons antics that need to go on, she will deliver.

She also has a habit of not giving a fuck in the face of eminent danger.
That looks like the right one yes. And yes I do have a soft spot for characters who are able to find the joy and humor in any situation, and try to not take anything too seriously. It speaks to my soul very much.