Venom 2 Trailer

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Two questions. Will it be rated R, cuz you know, Carnage? And will Woody Harrelson give us a succulently hammy performance?

Other than that, I expect mostly more of the same i.e. a mostly mediocre superhero flick with a few neat action bits and Tom Hardy's fun report with himself.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Looks fun, but not great.

I'm mostly interested to see how SONY does their weird MCU tie-in shenanigans, like how Vulture is in Morbius.

Curious to see if there is anything in this.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Return of the divide I guess, because goddamn this looks like shit to me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Other than that, I expect mostly more of the same i.e. a mostly mediocre superhero flick with a few neat action bits and Tom Hardy's fun report with himself
Despite being called "mediocre", most people and Venom fans love the first movie and I'm assuming the next one. I remember when Venom came out, movie critics from online were all hoping that this movie will fail at the box office or felt the need to insult people who actually loved it. All I have to say is, why? We get it, you don't like it. You wish for better movies, that's understandable. But don't act like a jackass about it just for somebody liking something you don't.

And yes, Upgrade is the better Venom movie. The problem with Upgrade is that it gets depressing. I saw the movie twice and I never felt the need to even watch it again. It just sits on my DVD shelf doing nothing.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
And yes, Upgrade is the better Venom movie. The problem with Upgrade is that it gets depressing. I saw the movie twice and I never felt the need to even watch it again. It just sits on my DVD shelf doing nothing.
I think the main criticism when comparing it to Upgrade, is that it's not that Upgrade is a better Venom film, it's that Venom is an Upgrade knockoff? I never really read Venom, and only tangentially know about him as a popular villain for Spiderman, but I got the impression that "wacky body occupation hijinx" wasn't the driving point behind his popularity?

I mean several reviews I saw online that loved the film, still were like "this isn't really all that source accurate, but I don't give a shit because it was so goofy I had a blast."

So it seems that, even on both sides of the like/hate spectrum, a common critique is "this isn't really Venom, it's something else in a Venom skin"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
think the main criticism when comparing it to Upgrade, is that it's not that Upgrade is a better Venom film, it's that Venom is an Upgrade knockoff? I never really read Venom, and only tangentially
That's the thing though, a good amount of online critics were comparing Upgrade to Venom (unfairly in some circumstances). With several of them being Double Toasted, Nostalgia Critic, and Movie Bob saying that the movie Upgrade is a better Venom movie, than the actual Venom movie. Which is even more ironic because the main lead in Upgrade looks like a B grade Tom Hardy. Not to forget, the character has been around way longer than the movie Upgrade, way before it got started. Upgrade wasn't even an idea in the director's head yet.

I will give Double Toasted at least credit for having maturity not to insult people for loving Venom.

I mean several reviews I saw online that loved the film, still were like "this isn't really all that source accurate, but I don't give a shit because it was so goofy I had a blast."
I'm not saying they don't exist, but they are definitely overshadowed by the loud, vocal, majority of online film critics.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I kind of wish that the part about "I would happily eat Mrs. Chang" "You cannot eat Mrs. Chang" would've had the response of her smirking and waggling an eyebrow. "Are you offering to give me a good time Eddy? Venom?" Because you know, she's seen the tongue on Venom. *head bob* Giggity.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As a shameless Venom fan, and one who regards Spider-Man 3's version of him as borderline offensive, 2018's Venom was brilliant if not entirely canonical as to his actual origins as a Spider-Man villain or his space within the bog standard MCU. It was about seeing him realized in a way that was so much truer to the character from the comics, i.e.: the iconic tongue and toothy grin, menacing size, the ooze sliding from the page to the big screen in amazing fashion. I was literally giggling in my seat when he first showed up in full effect the first time. I don't care that the rest of the movie isn't "up to snuff" by many cinematic standards; I was a kid in that theater, just like the kids who go to Disneyland and "meet" Micky or their favorite Disney princess; it was amazing to see him. I'm looking forward to Woody Harrelson's Carnage and more of Hardy's Venom. It will likely be campy as hell, but I don't care, I've already cast my Oscar vote for film of the year.

EDIT: Apparently I need to watch Upgrade; never even heard of it, but as a fan of stuff like Venom and the videogames The Darkness and Prototype, sounds like I'll enjoy it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I love that someone got the message and that there "seems" to be a clear direction as far as tone goes. I love that they appear to be leaning into the "fun" aspect and not trying to balance anything for all audiences.

First time in a while Ive been genuinely excited by a Sony comicbook trailer.

"we got plans for you, parker" *cringe*

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I love that someone got the message and that there "seems" to be a clear direction as far as tone goes. I love that they appear to be leaning into the "fun" aspect and not trying to balance anything for all audiences.

First time in a while Ive been genuinely excited by a Sony comicbook trailer.

"we got plans for you, parker" *cringe*
It's going to be interesting, for sure. Carnage is the character that pulled Venom into the realm of anti-hero and not just villain. Carnage was just violent for violence's sake, and Spider-Man And Venom (whose issue with each other was very personal and direct) both agreed, "that's not cool," and squashed their beef long enough to take him down together. Despite the levity as seen in the trailer, I imagine there's going to be some darkness as well; the gravity that is Carnage can't really be laughed off for two hours without crippling the character.

That said, if they try to make him a joke or some kind of criminal mastermind with an agenda beyond psychosis, I might be disappointed. What I see of him so far, the chaotic tendrils and spikes, makes me believe they want him to be the menace from the source material, but Hollywood likes to fuck shit up sometimes. Yeah, it looks fun, but Carnage is the kind of villain that deserves a Heath Ledger's Joker treatment; I don't get that from what I've seen. Hopefully, they found a middle ground that, as you suggest, is "fun," but doesn't attempt to be "funny."

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It's going to be interesting, for sure. Carnage is the character that pulled Venom into the realm of anti-hero and not just villain. Carnage was just violent for violence's sake, and Spider-Man And Venom (whose issue with each other was very personal and direct) both agreed, "that's not cool," and squashed their beef long enough to take him down together. Despite the levity as seen in the trailer, I imagine there's going to be some darkness as well; the gravity that is Carnage can't really be laughed off for two hours without crippling the character.

That said, if they try to make him a joke or some kind of criminal mastermind with an agenda beyond psychosis, I might be disappointed. What I see of him so far, the chaotic tendrils and spikes, makes me believe they want him to be the menace from the source material, but Hollywood likes to fuck shit up sometimes. Yeah, it looks fun, but Carnage is the kind of villain that deserves a Heath Ledger's Joker treatment; I don't get that from what I've seen. Hopefully, they found a middle ground that, as you suggest, is "fun," but doesn't attempt to be "funny."
Well Woody Harrelson is famous for playing a very sinister, over the top villain, very early in his career. So I feel confident he can act the role as needed, in regards to genuine menace and threat. Whether they give him the right script for that is another story all together of course.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
*shrug* I never found carnage very compelling. This is no hannibal lector. Arguably he was designed as one note cash grab back in the marvel 90s era where they were spitting out clones and symbiotes every issue to generate hype.

I would advise not expecting more than a fairly generic serial killer given super powers, which..in itself should be plenty for Tom to play off of. I'm just saying...this is sony we're talking about not David Fincher. The director is Andy Serkis who, credit due seems like an exciting choice. The writer is.....very unproven. Woody is great, but he cant carry bad writing.

If I had to open my crystal ball, based on the credits https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7097896/

Id say keep expectations low.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Looks to be going the Deadpool route. Much campier. And should be. And R rated.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
*shrug* I never found carnage very compelling. This is no hannibal lector. Arguably he was designed as one note cash grab back in the marvel 90s era where they were spitting out clones and symbiotes every issue to generate hype.

I would advise not expecting more than a fairly generic serial killer given super powers, which..in itself should be plenty for Tom to play off of. I'm just saying...this is sony we're talking about not David Fincher. The director is Andy Serkis who, credit due seems like an exciting choice. The writer is.....very unproven. Woody is great, but he cant carry bad writing.

If I had to open my crystal ball, based on the credits https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7097896/

Id say keep expectations low.
Carnage, for me, was compelling simply because he was the first Spider-Man villain who was just violently evil. He didn't have a "take over the world" or "steal money for wealth and power" arc; he was just an evil person with no qualms about killing without reason which at the time was fairly unique in comics (Carnage was the first symbiote offspring; what they did after him, whatever; I wasn't reading anymore by then.)

I don't expect this movie to be objectively great; I just want it to translate the characters as I remember them in the '90s like the 2018 film did. Harrelson is more than capable of pulling off Cletus Cassidy, but if he's poorly written, yeah, it could fail. Even still, given what I "see" right now, my hopes are high.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So what's the deal here? Is this part of the multiverse? Its the same universe as Mobius, and that as the Vulture from Spiderman Homecoming in it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Everyone keep in mind that Cletus Cassidy/Carnage was basically Marvel's answer to The Joker. Him and the suit itself. There was even a crossover event between the two. They got along fine at first, but became to hate each other for how they wanted to use their chaos. Joker compared himself to Orson Welles, while he compared Cletus to David Hasselhoff. Basically, The joker saw Carnage as an unoriginal hack. You know how The Joker is all about theatrics? Well Carnage is mostly the opposite of that.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So what's the deal here? Is this part of the multiverse? Its the same universe as Mobius, and that as the Vulture from Spiderman Homecoming in it.
I really hope Venom remains separate from all the "multiverse" discussion. Once you start knotting together threads from other ostensibly unrelated tales because "Marvel," you handcuff yourself to a past and future you can't independently affect; Venom becomes but a piece of the puzzle and far less interesting and fun in a larger world that will likely leave most people feeling like "meh, I've already seen End Game; not waiting around another 10 years to see it again."

Reactions: BrawlMan