Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
At least I can still get my adult daughter to watch a cartoon with me! We watched The Mitchells vs the Machines on Netflix in which a daughter is ever annoyed with her father, refusing to even sing Rihanna's "Live Your Life" with him. And then robots take over the world and the only ones who can liberate humanity is the Mitchell family.

The movie as a very interesting, peppy directorial and art style. Lots of smiles and amusement in it. But there are times this movie veers wildly from very silly to very, very dark and back again. The conclusion just relies on some supreme silly nonsense undermining why we ever needed a plot to begin with. Still, a fun time can be had watching it. 7/10.

And for the young'uns that don't recall the song:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
She's only 41 years old. Anyone that thinks that's "old age", is clearly still a child.
Exactly my point. I'm still not eligible for AARP benefits, so calling someone out for not still being ideally attractive in their "old age" and that "old age" being only a year older than me is a sensitive subject! Either I'm late to the party combing over and buying impractical sports cars, or 41 isn't "old age!"

*plucks a grey hair from his temple and convinces himself it's an anomaly and not an indication that more grey hairs are on the horizon.*

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
*Realizing Lost first aired 17 years ago and that I am only a year younger than her*

...shut up; she ain't THAT "old." I'd still hit it.
She looks good imo too. I checked out the trailer for Crisis and she portrays a woman about her age and I certainly wouldn't call her looks rough (the movie looks like a blunder though). But she doesn't look THAT good like she did in Lost.

There is this funny statistic (from massive online dating data pool, I think it was OkCupid) how men regardless of our own age always prefer the looks of a woman in her early twenties, while women's preference ages like they do (up to a point). Of course beyond that it's up to how much weight one puts on looks.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Once Upon A Time in Mexico:

A nice little stylish over the top to the level of winking at the audience action film which still holds up surprisingly well as the over the top level of very complex plotline with with fairly cheesy silly action sequences.
Want to see a guy surf down stairs and a guitar case and shoot some guy? This film has you covered.
Want to see a guy knock some-one off a balcony pick up their gun jump off the balcony and shoot some while falling? This film has you covered.
Want to see two people handcuffed together figure out how to climb down the outside of a building while being shot at? This film has you covered.
Want to see a guy use a machine gun + Grenade Launcher guitar to take out a room of enemies? This film has you covered.

The action being kinda over the top silly / cheesy is a nice counter point to quite a winding complex plot about political tensions, revolutions and betrayal where Johnny Depp plays a CIA operative hoping to get away with a small fortune as he tries to play both sides.

The film kinda really does show just how good an actor Johnny Depp is as his characters has hints of his later more famous roles eccentric character role like Captain Jack Sparrow but also is somewhat like a quick talking con man manipulating people into doing what he wants.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
She looks good imo too. I checked out the trailer for Crisis and she portrays a woman about her age and I certainly wouldn't call her looks rough (the movie looks like a blunder though). But she doesn't look THAT good like she did in Lost.
Lost was 16 years ago, of course she's going to look different.

There is this funny statistic (from massive online dating data pool, I think it was OkCupid) how men regardless of our own age always prefer the looks of a woman in her early twenties, while women's preference ages like they do (up to a point). Of course beyond that it's up to how much weight one puts on looks.
I've always preferred middle aged women to be honest. Even as a kid in elementary school, I totally had it for the teachers. Cougars and Milfs way more appealing than 20s-ish women IMO.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - 10/10

Shane Black’s modern film noir pastiche comedy thriller truly is a delightful movie. There’s excellent dialogue - most of it from Gay Perry - and the character interplay between Kilmer and Downey Jr is the stuff dreams are made of. The murder mystery is pretty boilerplate but it’s all in the delivery. And this sucker delivers.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ah, personally I suspect that she might look old now, not because of her age, but because people first seeing her in stuff some 16 years ago. That is, if you'd first seen her in her recent stuff, she'd not look old, but she'd look weirdly young if you then saw her earlier stuff.

For example, I think I first saw Cate Blanchett in the LotR films (or at least that was her first memorable role for me), when she was in her early 30s. About the same age as Taylor Swift is nowdays. But because I've been aware of Taylor Swift for a while, her being 30 something seems weirder than Cate Blanchett being 30 something.

That could just be me, though, but you do get a lot of child stars having trouble moving on to adult roles, which might be related.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I will happily say that the older I have got, the more I have found older women attractive.

I kind of have a problem with the idea of relationships with under-30s these days. What would we even talk about? I mean, they're pretty much children for someone my age.

That could just be me, though, but you do get a lot of child stars having trouble moving on to adult roles, which might be related.
I think the problem here is what film-makers want from a child and what they want from an adult. Children are usually hoped to be cute and not too wooden. But as adults film-makers want bronzed hunks mostly for action movies and hot women. Unfortunately, many cute children do not grow into these human specimens. They might persist if they become very good adult actors (e.g. Jodie Foster), but that again is far from a given.

Never mind that half of them have fucked-up parents and fucked-up childhoods.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I think the problem here is what film-makers want from a child and what they want from an adult. Children are usually hoped to be cute and not too wooden. But as adults film-makers want bronzed hunks mostly for action movies and hot women. Unfortunately, many cute children do not grow into these human specimens. They might persist if they become very good adult actors (e.g. Jodie Foster), but that again is far from a given.

Never mind that half of them have fucked-up parents and fucked-up childhoods.
True, though I believe it's a problem for people who grow up to be conventionally attractive. Emma Watson got her short haircut, in part, to avoid looking like Hermione Granger, and any number of Disney type stars go on to awful sex and violence films to change their image.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ad Astra It boils down to 2 hours of Brad Pitt being depressed in space. Everything in this movie is utterly bleak. Parents ditch their children to go on a one way trip to the edge of our solar system, wars on Earth are carried over into space, authorities lie to you, manipulate you and discard you when you are no longer useful. The cinematography is occasionally very beautiful but everything is dark, dreary, bleak or all three at once. A review I read compared it to watching through the lens of depression, which is probably the intention but still makes for 2 hours of utter misery. At least Project 12 The Bunker made me laugh occasionally with its outlandish rubbish, Ad Astra just made me bored.
Yikes. One to miss. I've not heard of Project 12 before. Will check it out.

If depression had an interesting movie, I think it would be Melancholia. (removed youtube trailer as it is a teeny tiny bit adult and this is a family forum).

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Watched the original Night of the Living Dead for the first time last night. It holds up surprisingly well. The black-and-white nature of the movie makes it feel almost documentary-like, and the ghouls (they actually are never referred to as zombies) are probably some of the more terrifying examples of such, given the fact that they show rudimentary signs of intelligence, but nothing more than the idea of using tools to smash windows or do spoiler-y stuff.

In addition, it is amazing how overall competently the main character is portrayed. Ben is logical, tries his best to keep his emotions in check, and thinks of problems in terms of future steps, not just the immediate situation. He's also played by an African-American in 1968, and was apparently made even more intelligent after his casting due to his actor's college education.

While Ben's competence as a main character has aged incredibly well, however, the treatment of the female characters has not. Two of them have basically no real role, although Mrs. Cooper does do a decent job of softening the harsh edges of her jackass husband, while the third spends about 75% of the movie completely shut down from the stress of the situation. In essence, every decision made through the film has to be made by the men, because the women can't do anything.

That said, the movie is still a very good watch, and it cannot be overstated how influential it was on the horror genre as a whole. It can be argued that this movie was a turning point for the horror genre as a whole, going from children's fare (spooky, but not really scary), to the more mature style it has maintained to this day (for a certain meaning of "mature"). In addition, there are a lot of underlying themes in Night of the Living Dead, which makes it a surprisingly interesting film to think about afterwards. Mindless, it certainly is not.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watched the original Night of the Living Dead for the first time last night. It holds up surprisingly well. The black-and-white nature of the movie makes it feel almost documentary-like, and the ghouls (they actually are never referred to as zombies) are probably some of the more terrifying examples of such, given the fact that they show rudimentary signs of intelligence, but nothing more than the idea of using tools to smash windows or do spoiler-y stuff.

In addition, it is amazing how overall competently the main character is portrayed. Ben is logical, tries his best to keep his emotions in check, and thinks of problems in terms of future steps, not just the immediate situation. He's also played by an African-American in 1968, and was apparently made even more intelligent after his casting due to his actor's college education.

While Ben's competence as a main character has aged incredibly well, however, the treatment of the female characters has not. Two of them have basically no real role, although Mrs. Cooper does do a decent job of softening the harsh edges of her jackass husband, while the third spends about 75% of the movie completely shut down from the stress of the situation. In essence, every decision made through the film has to be made by the men, because the women can't do anything.

That said, the movie is still a very good watch, and it cannot be overstated how influential it was on the horror genre as a whole. It can be argued that this movie was a turning point for the horror genre as a whole, going from children's fare (spooky, but not really scary), to the more mature style it has maintained to this day (for a certain meaning of "mature"). In addition, there are a lot of underlying themes in Night of the Living Dead, which makes it a surprisingly interesting film to think about afterwards. Mindless, it certainly is not.
Romero admits that his inspirations for NOTLD came from EC horror comics he read as a kid and teen, and the book I Am Legend (that involves vampires that act similar to zombies). More so the movie adaption called The Last Man on Earth (1964) starring Vincent Price. So The Last Man on Earth (1964) was technically the first zombie apocalypse movie, but Night became more well known and popular.

You are correct, Romero had a huge change on the horror landscape in not just America, but internationally too. Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, and the Night of the Living Dead Remake fixed the issue with female characters by giving them more agency and actually factoring/contributing in to the story.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Romero admits that his inspirations for NOTLD came from EC horror comics he read as a kid and teen, and the book I Am Legend (that involves vampires that act similar to zombies). More so the movie adaption called The Last Man on Earth (1964) starring Vincent Price. So The Last Man on Earth (1964) was technically the first zombie apocalypse movie, but Night became more well known and popular.
Well, people argue that point, you get all sorts of obscure and sorta kinda zombie apocalypse ish films that can be dug up.

IIRC, on of the reasons NOTLD was more well known was that it accidentally got made public domain. So anyone could watch or show it, and lots of people did.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, people argue that point, you get all sorts of obscure and sorta kinda zombie apocalypse ish films that can be dug up.

IIRC, on of the reasons NOTLD was more well known was that it accidentally got made public domain. So anyone could watch or show it, and lots of people did.
Funny enough, The Last Man on Earth is public domain too. There is a bit more interesting trivia here I have time stamped. It's about the writer of I Am Legend.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Funny enough, The Last Man on Earth is public domain too. There is a bit more interesting trivia here I have time stamped. It's about the writer of I Am Legend.

Didn't know The Last Man on Earth is public domain. Another random bit of trivia, apparently I Am Legend was the big influence for Planet of the Apes, so Charlton Heston starred in two adaptations of it, kinda.

Reactions: BrawlMan