Netflix's Trese

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

When it comes to the supernatural, the cops have Alexanda Trese on speed dial. Set in Manila and based on the award-winning Filipino comic, TRESE brings horror folklore like you've never heard before.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
What is hackneyed writing, if not love persevering?
I don't really mind the line, what I mind is not illustrating the point, by showing us examples of supernatural beings NOT being something we should fear. The line itself, implies humans are just reacting out of fear, to things that aren't a threat. But EVERY shot is framed as humans clearly being hunted by supernatural beings. So, in the context of the trailer, they actually DO understand just fine. Those scary things in the night ARE something to fear.

A properly edited trailer would've had the clips, either during that line, or immediately after it (though during would be best to just synch up the visual and narrative) of some NICE creature, doing something non-violent. It's not like those beings don't exist in folk lore, they're tons of examples of benevolent supernatural creatures, just show one of them. Some nature spirit growing plants, or caring for animals. A pixie doing some minor act of kindness for a child or whatever. Anything. But, no, we show monster after monster, eating, killing, stalking, in every frame.

Just, bad trailer design. Show might be good, trailer isn't.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Okay so episode one. Ooof, animation is a bit rough. Looks great in still frames and the action scenes themselves are clearly where they are spending money but also dear God, the lipsyncing is appalling. Like Captain Scarlet had better syncing than this is. Whether that's because the English is not the first language or they're just shit at it, I don't know.

Concept is strong; I like Trese herself who comes across as having strength but also emotional like a person. Her two bodyguards seem like they'll be fun in a 'those two guys' way and the open acknowledgement of the supernatural instead of trying in vain to maintain a masquerade is a nice change.

I dunno, I give episode one a 6/10. More good than bad but what's bad really lets it down.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Okay so episode one. Ooof, animation is a bit rough. Looks great in still frames and the action scenes themselves are clearly where they are spending money but also dear God, the lipsyncing is appalling. Like Captain Scarlet had better syncing than this is. Whether that's because the English is not the first language or they're just shit at it, I don't know.

Concept is strong; I like Trese herself who comes across as having strength but also emotional like a person. Her two bodyguards seem like they'll be fun in a 'those two guys' way and the open acknowledgement of the supernatural instead of trying in vain to maintain a masquerade is a nice change.

I dunno, I give episode one a 6/10. More good than bad but what's bad really lets it down.
Have they shown any examples of supernatural beings that aren't hostile to humans? And, to clarify, I don't mean the various examples from the trailer of tropes of beings that are profiteering from humans (examples that in trailer go on to imply they will betray the protagonist), but like, actual, normal, benevolent, non-dangerous to humans in any way, kind of beings?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Have they shown any examples of supernatural beings that aren't hostile to humans? And, to clarify, I don't mean the various examples from the trailer of tropes of beings that are profiteering from humans (examples that in trailer go on to imply they will betray the protagonist), but like, actual, normal, benevolent, non-dangerous to humans in any way, kind of beings?
Well, she has dealings with a couple of....I want to say spirits who help her out. One's a head made of fire - not sure what his game is yet - and the other I assume is a representative of a Goddess of death. She is neither evil nor good, but when asked a question she gives a straight answer and offers her some kind of ritual herb as a peace offering at the end. Plus she has her version of Huggie Bear - some kind of goblin like creature she bribes with what I assume are peanut brittle bars.

No overtly good spirits yet, just what looked like a lot of vampires (they aren't but that's what they remind me of) running basically a human meat market and making deals with crooked politicians to funnel undesirables to them to feed on. Although given that its Manila that last bit is utterly plausible up to the demons eating you. But its only episode one, could improve. Honestly my big issues are the 'idle' sections are doing the anime thing of being still frames and showing the back of a character who's talking to save on animating their mouth.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Been really excited for Trese, although I am worried about how the voice acting will go. Obviously, as Filipino I would rather watch this in our language, but then from the trailer it seemed like they had animated the show in English. I guess we'll see, not a fan of the voice actors they chose for the Filipino version either.

Filipino animation has a complicated history. Despite having some of the best animators around, no one here actually wants to pay for some quality work when they know the public isn't used to or demanding good animation. Basically all the work done here is for foreign shows. So if this show is a success, this could really turn things around for our animation industry.

Plus she has her version of Huggie Bear - some kind of goblin like creature she bribes with what I assume are peanut brittle bars.
Not peanut brittle. I don't know how to describe them, they're nutty chocolate bars except they can crumble into powder. Loved them as a kid, sometimes I still do. Shit gets everywhere if you drop them though.

Trese is meant to be sort of how Geralt is portrayed in Witcher 3. A protector of both worlds. In later storylines, she helps protect the supernatural world from being exploited by humans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Been really excited for Trese, although I am worried about how the voice acting will go. Obviously, as Filipino I would rather watch this in our language, but then from the trailer it seemed like they had animated the show in English. I don guess we'll see, not a fan of the voice actors they chose for the Filipino version either.

Filipino animation has a complicated history. Despite having some of the best animators around, no one here actually wants to pay for some quality work when they know the public isn't used to or demanding good animation. Basically all the work done here is for foreign shows. So if this show is a success, this could really turn things around for our animation industry.

Not peanut brittle. I don't know how to describe them, they're nutty chocolate bars except they can crumble into powder. Loved them as a kid, sometimes I still do. Shit gets everywhere if you drop them though.

Trese is meant to be sort of how Geralt is portrayed in Witcher 3. A protector of both worlds. In later storylines, she helps protect the supernatural world from being exploited by humans.
Well based on the English lip syncing, I really hope its just the best they could do to get around the Filipino language track and that its smooth when watched in its native tongue. Because if it was animated for English dub first......big fuckin' oof.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well based on the English lip syncing, I really hope its just the best they could do to get around the Filipino language track and that its smooth when watched in its native tongue. Because if it was animated for English dub first......big fuckin' oof.
I ended up watching the English version, cuz fucckkkk I hated our version. Oh well. I did see what you meant with the lip syncing.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Thoughts after finishing: As much as it pains me to say, just go read the comics.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Watch first episode and meh nothing to see here. Bog standard crime drama with poor animation and bad VA, oh sure there's supernatural element but they might as well not be there. Trese is just generic bad ass cop who don't play by the rule (is there a scene later when she have to leave that dagger in lieu of gun while an irritate police chief tell her she's way out of line?). Most of the dialogue was exposition dumb but since everything is so generic it feel pointless, there's a scene where a cop tell her it's sad that her dad isn't around anymore and I realized it hadn't even crossed my mind that her dad might have still been alive.