E3-2021 MEGATHREAD!!!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So it's that time of year again. I thought rather than have a bunch of different threads for the various events we could have a discussion Megathread about the announcements and news.

Starting with Summer Game Fest
So far nothing super exciting.

A Boarderlands Spin off game with Tiny Tina. https://kotaku.com/borderlands-spin-off-wonderlands-stars-tiny-tina-1847067910

And a follow up game to Salt and Sanctuary which was a great 2D Souls-like game. Called Salt and SAcrifice.

Thusfar that's what was notable to me. There are some updates for other games that are out already that i can't care about, but hopefully more to come!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
This show has been dull at best, and cringe at worst.

I switched it off when the band was about to play

Doubt I will miss much from the rest of the show.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Yep, glad I quit whilst I was ahead.

Obviously Elden Ring was the highlight of the show - but as someone who does not care at all for Dark Souls and the like, I scrolled past the announcement on Twitter with a dismissive "neat."

Anyway, hopefully E3 proper will be more eventful

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Oh for fucks sake, how is E3 still a thing? Its current year, a boys club of on-the-take journalists and "reviewers" acting as hype people for huge, lumbering abusing AAA companies?!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh for fucks sake, how is E3 still a thing? Its current year, a boys club of on-the-take journalists and "reviewers" acting as hype people for huge, lumbering abusing AAA companies?!
E3 isn't really a thing. Between companies doing individual shows like State of Play and Direct, and things like this Summer Games Fest showcase, E3 is dead. But that doesn't mean that the week of reveals and shit isn't still going to be a thing.

But calling it "E3" is better than, summer week of game trailers and announcement things.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
E3 isn't really a thing. Between companies doing individual shows like State of Play and Direct, and things like this Summer Games Fest showcase, E3 is dead. But that doesn't mean that the week of reveals and shit isn't still going to be a thing.

But calling it "E3" is better than, summer week of game trailers and announcement things.
It is weird that companies just all agreed to make big announcements in one week/day.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So elden ring look like Dark soul meet Zelda, could be cool. Wonder how far they'll push the open world aspect. Anyway don't have a PS5 and I have no idea how long it'll be before it hit PC so I can't really get excited about the release date. Also where's my Armored Core From Software! Shit at this point I'd be excited for them just porting them to PC.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So elden ring look like Dark soul meet Zelda, could be cool. Wonder how far they'll push the open world aspect. Anyway don't have a PS5 and I have no idea how long it'll be before it hit PC so I can't really get excited about the release date. Also where's my Armored Core From Software! Shit at this point I'd be excited for them just porting them to PC.
I think it's releasing on everything. Ps4/PC/Box whatever. The only platform not listed is the switch and graphing calculators.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Wow that elden ring came out of nowhere. It seems horse(?) combat will be pretty integral in this. Also damn those 4 winged dragons were epic. Either way looks amazing. Also it's interesting how they're making a ps4 version of that but demon's souls was for ps5 only XD.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Wow that elden ring came out of nowhere. It seems horse(?) combat will be pretty integral in this. Also damn those 4 winged dragons were epic. Either way looks amazing. Also it's interesting how they're making a ps4 version of that but demon's souls was for ps5 only XD.
Probably because they've been working on it for a lot longer than real PS5 development was possible. And to keep it across all available platforms they are cross-gening it.

My biggest thing about Elden though, is that it looks way too much like Dark Souls. Even the story from the voice over just sounds like Souls all over again. Which....I guess it's fine, but you could have gone at least a slightly different avenue with it. I dunno I guess more Souls is fine.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Probably because they've been working on it for a lot longer than real PS5 development was possible. And to keep it across all available platforms they are cross-gening it.

My biggest thing about Elden though, is that it looks way too much like Dark Souls. Even the story from the voice over just sounds like Souls all over again. Which....I guess it's fine, but you could have gone at least a slightly different avenue with it. I dunno I guess more Souls is fine.

I dunno about that, the whole horse thing that seemed to occur mid combat seems weird and very different. I guess the themes of the world may look a bit too familiar but then again this is norse myth which is not too different from the medieval style stories from the souls games.

Also the biggest difference from souls is that the dragons died to thunderbolts in those games but they're throwing them in this one.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just watched the Tiny Tina trailer, and not gonna lie, that looked pretty fun. I remember her DLC adventure from BL2, being complete ridiculous fun, up until the end, where it had one of the most emotional gut punches I can recall playing. It feels like it's going to try and capture that again. I love epically silly, and epically badass when they are mixed properly.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So.... No one wants to talk about salt and sacrifice?

The first game is one of my favorite souls-like game. If Dark Souls exploration was inspirede by metroidvania, then salt and sanctuary combined the 2d map design of metroidvania with the combat gameplay of dark souls. I am super excited for this game as much as elden ring. It says it's coming to ps5/ps4 at launch but i hope it comes to pc as well, just like the first game did

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker