E3-2021 MEGATHREAD!!!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They did do something new with Sekiro but that game was bashed by part of the community for not being Dark souls/Bloodborne. Its not a big surprise that they've decided to return to the fantasy setting they've been honing for years now.
i don't know if bashed is the right word. There were complaints, yet the game sold fine any way.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think it's releasing on everything. Ps4/PC/Box whatever. The only platform not listed is the switch and graphing calculators.
BUT MY GRAPHING CALCULATOR! BOYCOTT FROM! :)

It looks like BOTW meets Dark Souls 3 and I'm sure some Sekiro as well. I'm fine with this. Honestly much of what I expected and I'm sure I'll grab it around the time it launches.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So.... No one wants to talk about salt and sacrifice?

The first game is one of my favorite souls-like game. If Dark Souls exploration was inspirede by metroidvania, then salt and sanctuary combined the 2d map design of metroidvania with the combat gameplay of dark souls. I am super excited for this game as much as elden ring. It says it's coming to ps5/ps4 at launch but i hope it comes to pc as well, just like the first game did
It looks good. It reminds me that I need to finish the first game. I got to the 3rd Lamb, got stuck and took a long break I technically haven't finished. So once I finish some of the other games I'm working on I'll get back on that.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Finally some Elden Ring. Trailer looks great, more of the same but that's not a bad thing coming from them. Can't wait to explore another incredible world they created.

Salt and Sacrifice looks really fun. Loved the first game.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
They did do something new with Sekiro but that game was bashed by part of the community for not being Dark souls/Bloodborne. Its not a big surprise that they've decided to return to the fantasy setting they've been honing for years now.
I dunno if I was part of "the community" or not but I absolutely loved Sekiro. It overshadowed DMC5 for me and I've been a huge fan of dmc for almost 20 years at this point so that should tell you how much I liked Sekiro.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Probably because they've been working on it for a lot longer than real PS5 development was possible. And to keep it across all available platforms they are cross-gening it.

My biggest thing about Elden though, is that it looks way too much like Dark Souls. Even the story from the voice over just sounds like Souls all over again. Which....I guess it's fine, but you could have gone at least a slightly different avenue with it. I dunno I guess more Souls is fine.
I mean Sekiro was a bit of an exception, but I think the Souls style of presentation is kinda integral to FROM’s DNA at this point. IIRC they also said the game was made with that kind of design in mind after the more action-heavy Sekiro. I just hope NPCs are more human-like and less mannequin-like this time around, like pretty much every major release with a sizable budget behind it.

Anyways, now I have a greater incentive to finish Sekiro sooner than later.

Yep, glad I quit whilst I was ahead.

Obviously Elden Ring was the highlight of the show - but as someone who does not care at all for Dark Souls and the like, I scrolled past the announcement on Twitter with a dismissive "neat."

Anyway, hopefully E3 proper will be more eventful
Wait, so what “show” was it announced at it E3 hasn’t happened yet?

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Elden Ring's looking great so far, and Salt and Sacrifice is a nice, unexpected announcement. Hopefully it fixes some of the annoying issues I had with the first (the character models are looking not terrible which is a welcome change).

Reactions: CriticalGaming

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What a shock. FromSoft doing a Dark Souls game. That's so unlike them, to make a game that's like Dark Souls. *looks at their roster* Oh wait, sorry I was wrong, it's all they ever do.
No reason for them to change tracks now. They can clearly churn out, and re-churn out anything Souls-like, and make crazy money off it, so, why? I mean it works for FIFA, and CoD, Battlefield, and every other game line that just keeps being the same thing. Why would FromSoft be any different, when they clearly put out the same stuff? They are here to take your money, and souls fans are more than happy to keep paying out for the same game every time.
Is this the first you’ve heard of Elden Ring? Doing the same kind of game isn’t bad at all though if it clearly has a fanbase. Hell, FROM still has a far more diverse catalog if you go back far enough than someone like say, Santa Monica Studio, but you won’t hear me complain about yet another GoW if it’s as good as the last (hopefully even better). Also thankfully, neither of these studios’ games have the crappy monetizing/MTX practices that EA, Activison, Ubisoft, etc. do. Funnily enough, FROM’s last game Sekiro, was possibly the only respectable thing Activison has published in the last couple generations. Was really pleasantly surprised they stuck to their word with that one, and they moved down on my list of scummyness for it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Elden Ring's looking great so far, and Salt and Sacrifice is a nice, unexpected announcement. Hopefully it fixes some of the annoying issues I had with the first (the character models are looking not terrible which is a welcome change).
S and S was rather janky and i would like them add a single feature to make the experience infinitely more playable.

Map please!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sekiro is souls with a slightly varied skin on it. It's the same basic game concept/design of how it functions, as to be no real difference. And I know this, because I straight up asked the souls fanbase "Hey I really hate Souls, but I like samurai/ninja stuff, so I'm thinking of buying Sekiro. Will I hate it if I hate souls games?" And the resounding answer was "Yes, you will hate Sekiro if you hate souls games, because they are very similar"

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Is this the first you’ve heard of Elden Ring?
I've heard of it, but I haven't bothered to track it. Because once I saw it was FromSoft, I figured it would be another souls clone of theirs. Which, apparently from the feedback to the recent trailer, it is.

Doing the same kind of game isn’t bad at all though if it clearly has a fanbase.
I didn't say it was, I commented that I find it funny someone is shocked, that a company who has put out basically one kind of game, for the last...what, decade or so? AND also remastered a previous title that is basically the same thing as the game they've been recycling all these years....is still doing that.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I've heard of it, but I haven't bothered to track it. Because once I saw it was FromSoft, I figured it would be another souls clone of theirs. Which, apparently from the feedback to the recent trailer, it is.

I didn't say it was, I commented that I find it funny someone is shocked, that a company who has put out basically one kind of game, for the last...what, decade or so? AND also remastered a previous title that is basically the same thing as the game they've been recycling all these years....is still doing that.
I guess I was slightly surprised it looked that similar, right down to the blue phantoms and what appears to be the same game engine. I’m pretty sure Vaati Vidya will have this picked apart with tons of lore connections by the beginning of next week.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Sekiro is souls with a slightly varied skin on it. It's the same basic game concept/design of how it functions, as to be no real difference. And I know this, because I straight up asked the souls fanbase "Hey I really hate Souls, but I like samurai/ninja stuff, so I'm thinking of buying Sekiro. Will I hate it if I hate souls games?" And the resounding answer was "Yes, you will hate Sekiro if you hate souls games, because they are very similar"
I played these games to death and they are not at all similar. I would group them as follows; Demon's/Dark Souls, Bloodborne/DkS3, Sekiro. Souls is all about timing and positioning; baiting attacks and rolling through i-frames and managing stamina where Sekiro is all about the rhythm of deflecting and striking in very particular order and at quick successions. They might look similar on the surface but the gameplay feels completely different. Sekiro also has emphasis on verticality and stealth kills that Souls obviously doesn't. The only similarity is if you're easily frustrated then yeah, don't play these games. I don't think they are necessarily 'difficult' but rather that you really need to love the setting and combat to give yourself the patience to complete them.

Elden Ring really seems to be an accumulation of everything they've learned from making these games in the last decade or so which promises to become very special indeed.

I guess I was slightly surprised it looked that similar, right down to the blue phantoms and what appears to be the same game engine. I’m pretty sure Vaati Vidya will have this picked apart with tons of lore connections by the beginning of next week.
The Elden Ring reddit is cringe af lmao. love it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Wait, so what “show” was it announced at it E3 hasn’t happened yet?
It was announced during the Summer Game Fest 2021 show.

Aside from a couple of noteworthy announcements (though not much that really piqued my personal interests), it was fairly dull.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It was announced during the Summer Game Fest 2021 show.

Aside from a couple of noteworthy announcements (though not much that really piqued my personal interests), it was fairly dull.
Oh, now that’s just kinda funny. All these random shows are stealing E3’s thunder. About the only rumor I’ve heard that might make it worthwhile is Rockstar making their first showing since, well, I think the GTAIV reveal.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
My plan this year was to avoid watching any of it entirely and basically pick the game that caused the most excitement from a single user talking about it, because I just cannot be arsed to put in the effort to formulate my own opinion right now. Think of it as needing to parasitically feed off your fresh succulent glee juices.

And to be honest dear generous and handsomely attractive Escapist vagrants, the pickings here are extremely disappointing. Exclamation marks are at an all time low, caps lock might as well not exist, and where are the memes?? Not even a complementary gif of a goose excitedly stamping its silly webbed flipper feet! I've seen more lively feedback from my life insurance pitches at struggling seaside care homes.

Maybe Devolver Digital will produce a more sustainable yield. I shall return on the morrow!

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Honestly I am open to anything and being surprised.

The only thing I am looking forward to i the off chance Dragons Dogma 2 is announced which I know won't be happening so I am overall optimistic.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Honestly I am open to anything and being surprised.

The only thing I am looking forward to i the off chance Dragons Dogma 2 is announced which I know won't be happening so I am overall optimistic.
I'd be stoked but I really don't see that happening, the F2P mmo has been shutdown for awhile and was never even ported to the west and the anime was awful and I'm pretty sure it did poorly. I don't see an exec looking at those numbers and okaying a sequel sadly.

Apparently there's a lot of talk about maybe seeing some detail about starfield which should distract from the fact that ES6 was announced 3 years ago and still 0 detail about it have been shown.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The Vaati video is already out.

I bought a new shirt.

<_<