OLED Switch Announced

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
It's a Switch, but with a nicer screen and tweaked slightly in other ways!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Cool, I guess - just not what I wanted.

I was really hoping for a Switch Pro, with better hardware. This just seems like an incremental upgrade over the original release.

I guess this means that I get to hold onto my current Switch for a few more years.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Also, no alterations to the notoriously unreliable JoyCons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's a Switch, but with a nicer screen and tweaked slightly in other ways!
Meh. I knew Switch Pro was not happening. My OG model still works fine. I never use the joy cons and I always use third party controllers that work way more reliably. I also make sure to clean it off every now and then.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I literally bought a fucking new Switch this weekend! FUCK!
You're good dude. You're literally not missing out. I've had my switch since 2018, and I'm not giving it up. Works perfect and I clean it off almost every single day. I never use the joycons. I always use a third party controller. If they can't even improve the joy cons for this model, what's the point?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You're good dude. You're literally not missing out. I've had my switch since 2018, and I'm not giving it up. Works perfect and I clean it off almost every single day. I never use the joycons. I always use a third party controller. If they can't even improve the joy cons for this model, what's the point?
Wait it isn't more powerful? It's just got a better screen?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
No new hardware improvements. This isn't the Switch Pro. As far as the announcement indicates, this is no more powerful than the existing Switch.

It is just a refinement of what is already there - like the Xbox One S, or the PS4 Slim.

All this has is a better screen (though OLED is quite an improvement...), and better speakers. Though all of this is completely negligible, if you don't play in handheld mode. The ethernet port is neat, though, I guess?

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
So...bigger screen, but OLED and not LCD, better speakers, a whopping extra 32GB of internal memory, and no additional processing power, RAM, or corresponding increase to battery size. I literally just bought a new phone three weeks ago that can emulate a Switch. I mean, come on.

I get that Nintendo wants to lock down the mobile/accessible/casual console market, as competing consoles balloon in power and cost to try to compete with PC gaming. And honestly, I do believe Nintendo has a much clearer grasp on where console gaming will go in the future -- even though they tend to conceive and debut techs before maturation, to often hilarious consequence. But, I don't see this as a feasible, or really all that practical, iterative improvement to the console.

If I were in charge of Nintendo's design, I'd have gone for a companion dock with its own memory, graphical/central processing, and some QoL improvements like a built-in fan to cool the Switch itself, and maybe include a kit to enable Qi charging for Switches. Something to which secondary processes could be offloaded, assets saved for call by the console beyond its own memory and RAM, and graphics upscaled on its way to output devices. That, and/or a mobile dock with a larger supplement battery, onboard Qi charging, fan, and wireless HDMI transceiver. All the benefits of having the silly thing docked, but still completely mobile.

That's where Nintendo needs to be looking to really get the most out of the Switch: turn it into a modular gaming platform, with peripherals that can be purchased a la carte catering to each gamer's individual needs.

EDIT: Also loved how Nintendo...for some reason...low-key showcased the single most-loathed feature of the console with Splatoon 3 in its own video.

Last edited:

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
What i want to know is: Do i have to worry about joycons?
Better when it comes to colors and battery life.
But also with tendency to screen burn, in some cases.

So it can be a quid pro quo.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No new hardware improvements. This isn't the Switch Pro. As far as the announcement indicates, this is no more powerful than the existing Switch.

It is just a refinement of what is already there - like the Xbox One S, or the PS4 Slim.

All this has is a better screen (though OLED is quite an improvement...), and better speakers. Though all of this is completely negligible, if you don't play in handheld mode. The ethernet port is neat, though, I guess?
What laggyteabag said.

Besides, I'd be more worried about the BBDs going on eShop right now.
Oh well fuck them then. I found a rare Animal Crossing Switch on Sunday and I bought it immediately because I wanted a switch for my new gaming set up. I bought a couple of JRPG's to have around to dick around with. Mostly I wanted the Switch for Pokemon games. Because even though I hate them, I also love them.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Neat, I still don't have one of those, will get this new one instead when smt5 hits.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Honestly, probably gonna pick up a new dock if they're sold separately and the wired internet works on the old switch.

A slightly bigger screen and different angle on the stand would be nice, but it's not $350 nice.

Definitely gonna spring for the Splatoon 3 version though. It's inevitable that they're gonna make one.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
How much y'all want to bet that "industry insiders" are still going to say a Switch Pro is going to be out by Christmas?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This seems to be the general response.

That's perfect. And I can't argue with people. It literally seems like they just are rearranging the internals of the system and selling a Switch mod over an actual new model.

I think Nintendo still considers itself a toy company not a video game's company. Which is why there is always such a push towards Amibo's and physical gimmicks with motion controls and shit. They view video games as toys and as a result they are never concerned about making the most powerful system possible, or even keeping up the industry as a whole.

When was the last time they were on par power-wise with the other consoles? Occasionally they technically are the most powerful system for a few months before the next gens launch, but even that hasn't happened since Gamecube I think.

They just kind of upgrade the hardware when they literally can't make a new system without it being an upgrade. I don't even think the Switch is an upgrade in power from the Wii-U, or if it is, it's minimal.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Why compete head-on with two other manufacturers on power when you have the handheld market sewn up and you own niche is selling like hot cakes? They're 85 million+ consoles sold with very little slow down.
I never said the strategy wasn't working for them. I'm merely pointing out facts to the people upset that the OLED edition isn't some Switch Pro idea. Nintendo isn't concerned with that and they never have, I doubt they ever will Tbh.

That's why I always shrug with people try to fit Nintendo into the console war argument when they aren't technically even a part of it. Nintendo is Nintendo and that works great for a lot of people. To everyone else, it's confusing and nonsensical sometimes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never said the strategy wasn't working for them. I'm merely pointing out facts to the people upset that the OLED edition isn't some Switch Pro idea. Nintendo isn't concerned with that and they never have, I doubt they ever will Tbh.

That's why I always shrug with people try to fit Nintendo into the console war argument when they aren't technically even a part of it. Nintendo is Nintendo and that works great for a lot of people. To everyone else, it's confusing and nonsensical sometimes.
Because there are people that like to continue to be confrontational and a contrarian. Or everything has to fit into their black and white bubble, almost no gray areas except it only applies to them and no one else. They like to feed lies themselves will feel better about themselves, or act as if they're the smartest one in the room.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren