Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Magnificent 7 remake. Pretty good action flick, not very deep. Chris Pratt is weirdly pushed as the main character but isn't very interesting. Think of it as a less-good Young Guns for people born at the wrong time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just wonder when they're gonna learn nobody is into AMERICAN SUPER SOLDIER OUT FOR REVENGE movies anymore. Then again Gerard Butler just did like 3 of them recently so I must be in the minority.
The funny thing is, reception on the movie is great from the audience and casual viewer side, and B. Jordan's gonna be making a Rainbow Six spin-off. This movie is the jumping off point. I'm actually excited. The film itself I thought as fine and competently made. Good action, but nothing new you have not seen before.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Last Flag Flying: Great / Perfect

Steve Carrell is a Vietnam vet who reconnects with a couple fellow veterans (Bryan Cranston and Lawrence Fishburne) when his son is killed in the line of duty, and Carrell wishes their presence for the burial in Arlington National Cemetery. I might have missed it in the myriad conversations throughout the film, but it's left fairly ambiguous what their connection is, but it's implied there was some trauma. Whatever their history together, it led to Carrell serving 2 years in military prison, Fishburne to God and Cranston to drink. Yet, the three very differing personalities +30 years later rekindle their brotherhood and set in on given Carrell's son the burial he deserves.

I'm not much for dramas, but this is a man's drama, and a damned good one, if I can say. Cranston steals the show in pretty much every way; both his character and his portrayal of said character simply dominate the screen; you can't wait to hear what's going to come out of his mouth next. I don't think Cranston is underrated, but I don't think his name is in discussion enough with some of the greats whose name alone can carry a film like a Tom Hanks or such.
You know I never like Steve Carrell until I saw him in The Big Short. So I might give this a goose.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You know I never like Steve Carrell until I saw him in The Big Short. So I might give this a goose.
Honestly, despite him being a central character throughout the events of the film, Carrell is largely a tertiary character, so if you're not a fan (I personally, cannot unsee him as Michael Scott,) you won't be much offended if at all. It's a good movie and well worth your time.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Honestly, despite him being a central character throughout the events of the film, Carrell is largely a tertiary character, so if you're not a fan (I personally, cannot unsee him as Michael Scott,) you won't be much offended if at all. It's a good movie and well worth your time.
I think it’s Michael Scott I dislike, as a fan of OG ‘The Office’ but Carrell I can take or leave and I’m always keen for Laurence Fishburne.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It creeps
And leaps, and glides
And slides across the floor
Right through the door
And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of the Blob!

The 1958 version with Steve McQueen. No leaping.

Pretty decent, and the monster was different. Usual "authorities refuse to believe the kids until lots of people get eated" stuff.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Pig - 7/10

What if John Wick, but with Nic Cage and a pig, and instead of high octane action choreography you get a quiet and melancholy drama about tragedy and loss. It's probably also the best movie I've seen this year so far.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins - Hands down the best live action GI Joe movie ever made! I like the other ones, but this one has kept me the most engaged! It's nice to see a solo ninja movie, as we hardly ever get those on the big screen now. I have yo say, pretty good origin story. If they're rebooting the film continuity with this, that is fine, because Snake's backstory here, is nothing like in the first live action film. The actions is good, though do find it odd they used some shaky cam early in the film. No worries, it's nowhere near as nauseating as the Taken sequels nor the Bourne sequels. The shaky cam is more of the lines of The Raid or Extraction. By the 2nd half and rest of the film, the action sequences are a lot less shaky and clearer. I highly recommend the film. @happyninja42, I am not sure if you're a GI Joe fan, but I give this movie a big yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Pig - 7/10

What if John Wick, but with Nic Cage and a pig, and instead of high octane action choreography you get a quiet and melancholy drama about tragedy and loss. It's probably also the best movie I've seen this year so far.
The trailer sends very mixed messages about what the film is. PIG is going to be on my list of favorite movies this year, but it's also something I can respect people not, "getting" or liking. The biggest praise I see from critics and fan is how much Nic does with so minimal dialog, however it's a very bizarre movie. I can see most audiences hating it.

Theres a line in the film that gave me some pause

"I remember a time when your name meant something to people, Robin. but now, you have no value. You don't even exist anymore. You don't exist." - Gregory

I know the film wasn't written with Nic Cage in mind, but I wonder if some of this wasn't molded by him in filming. Because when you think about it, this line could be about him as an actor. He's lost some much of his stature in hollywood that he may never get to the point where he's getting big time scripts or role offers. I thought he really embodied that character, like in the restaurant when with his lecture about accolades not mattering and being fake.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins - Hands down the best live action GI Joe movie ever made! I like the other ones, but this one has kept me the most engaged! It's nice to see a solo ninja movie, as we hardly ever get those on the big screen now. I have yo say, pretty good origin story. If they're rebooting the film continuity with this, that is fine, because Snake's backstory here, is nothing like in the first live action film. The actions is good, though do find it odd they used some shaky cam early in the film. No worries, it's nowhere near as nauseating that is the Taken sequels nor the Bourne sequels. The shaky cam is more of the lines of The Raid or Extraction. By the 2nd half and rest of the film, the action sequences are a lot less shaky and clearer. I highly recommend the film. @happyninja42, I am not sure if you're a GI Joe fan, but I give this movie a big yes.
Honestly probably going to give it a pass. Never saw the other GI joe movies, and didn't have any interest in this one. Glad you enjoyed it though. I played with GI joe as a kid, and watched the cartoon, but it didn't really shape my childhood like transformers, and some other cartoons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly probably going to give it a pass. Never saw the other GI joe movies, and didn't have any interest in this one. Glad you enjoyed it though. I played with GI joe as a kid, and watched the cartoon, but it didn't really shape my childhood like transformers, and some other cartoons.
Understandable.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
There's this film with Daniel Radcliffe playing a burnt out game dev that gets involved in some typical dumb movie nonsense, I gave a go. Was prepared for extreme cringe. And while the cringe levels wavered up and down through first few minutes of setup, it almost started to sound like Daniel knew the ins and outs of internet culture and might be an insightful protagonist. Until he freaks out over someone knowing his IP address?! Then it started presenting teen rom-com "wholesome awkward meet moment" vibes and I noped the fuck out. Sorry! I tried. Can't remember what it was called, am sure that won't be a problem either way.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Elysium:

So I watched Neill Blomkamp's previous film before (District 9) and really didn't like it and was really confused over why the critics were gushing about it. It was a fairly boring Sci-Fi film with a heavy handed allegory that was probably close to as heavy handed the Original Star Trek Episode about racism.

Only in District 9's case it was about immigration. Why am I on about District 9 and not Elysium because it has a lot of the same themes and is pretty much as heavy handed with them with the mythical Elysium being the place a lot of totally not Mexican people want to get to where they are meant to be getting a better life but also medical care that will cure basically every disease. In totally future Los Angeles and totally not a stand in for Mexico, Max is a line worker making robots that are used in various places as authorities stand ins on earth while actually being mostly servants to people on Elysium. The social structure basically now being on Earth humans are inferior to machines and have to deal with being crushed under the uncaring robotic systems while on Elysium the robots mostly operate to serve drinks or deal with stuff the humans don't want to have to do. Max is also an ex convict who used to run with gangs stealing cars and one of his own gang mates now runs the local people smuggling operation trying to smuggle people to Elysium. People smuggled in are shown being shot down and killed at one point and those they don't manage to kill get rounded up, put in cages and then shipped back to earth.

Max at work even to his supervisor he's seen as pretty disposable and it's made clear multiple times how replaceable he would be, ends up getting a lethal dose of radiation and 5 days left to live with 1 shot to survive make it to Elysium. So he takes on a dangerous heist to steam information from the brain of an Elysium resident who happens to be the boss of where he did work, a boss shown as more concerned with getting Max out of the medical bay out of fear his skin will start falling off and there will be time / cost incurred cleaning up said skin.

The Boss however has also created a code to help the Military leader on Elysium launch a coup against the president of Elysium and created a shutdown and reboot code for the station to replace the president in the data centre to let some-one else take power without a democratic vote.
When Max steals the information from his bosses brain he gets the encrypted code to take over Elysium too.
Cue a chases basically between Max and the paramilitary force that the security chief (whom I shall refer to as chief Karen) has dispatched to capture Max.
Also mixed up in this is his childhood friend Frey who has a daughter dying of leukaemia.

Max ends up giving himself up to the paramilitary lot to take him to Elysium realising the stuff in his head is probably worth a fair bit to whomever wanted it up there and the paramilitary lot ring Frey and her daughter along because they're assholes (no really that's basically why) and the main dude suddenly after hitting her multiple times has decided he like her and wants to Marry her maybe..........It gets weird. Just before landing the Paramilitary betray Max who was actually holding a grenade as leverage, the grenade goes off and they crash. Elysium security detains Max, Frey and her daughter and start to try and extract the info from Max's head but say it will kill him due to the encryption on it. Max breaks out, the Paramilitary guy who had his face blown off by the grenade has it regenerated and kills the Elysium security chief saying they will take control of the station themselves using it to um........ be assholes pretty much........ they have no real reason to want to take over other than they're assholes and pretty much generic psycho evil characters. Max's friend the Smuggler makes it to Elysium in the confusion and while Max tried to escape with Frey the Paramilitary guy stalks them down eventually fighting Max with Max winning. They go to upload the code and Max's friend says it will kill Max to do this which Max then accepts because his death will allow Frey to treat her daughters Leukaemia with Elysiums magical medical tech machines. Also Max's friend makes it so all of Earth's residents are considered also residents of Elysium now and emergency shuttles are dispatched to help people on Earth with medical issues

So the Data is Encrypted and removing it from Max's head would kill him. The problem is and it's never explain why Max was perfectly fine to remove the encrypted data from hi bosses head, the data was encrypted as it was put into his bosses head from his bosses computer so why was Max fine to just pull it from his brain but copying it from his brain to anywhere else will kill him?

Thematically it at least does more than District 9 does as while you get the super heavy handed immigration messaging it did seem to also try to tie it into capitalist systems and the perception of the disposability of the people who do a lot of the ground work at companies and the Rich elite assholes hoarding all the stuff on Elysium. It also somewhat hints about a commentary about how the rich elites don't need immigrants anymore because the kind of jobs they'd be willing to give them can be easily fulfilled by robots on Elysium hence part of the issues going on. Oh and also a weird sort of hinted at commentary about the dangers of immigration combined with a health system open to all but not high tech enough to cope with demand as on Earth treatment is free but Frey's daughter has to be discharged despite dying of Leukaemia because according to one of the doctors "We don't have limitless resources and there's nothing else we can do for her".

All in all better than District 9 but the fight scenes are weirdly not that well directed and feel not quite like shakey cam but not really pulled out enough or with enough continuous shots to really seem super coherent and easy to follow.

It's a decent enough Sci-Fi film but yeh extremely ham fisted with it's themes.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Geostorm:

If Elysium was a cynical take of "Yeh the rich assholes will horde shit until forced to stop" dystopian future oddly enough Geostorm feels like a polar opposite to it where in the future humanity has come together to build a satellite network covering the earth to try and deal with climate change and the freak weather events coming with it while buying time to switch to more green energy sources etc. The problem being suddenly the satellite network starts playing up and getting weaponised to devastate parts of the world by causing freak storms instead of stopping them. The other problem the only guy who stands a chance of finding out what's going wrong was fired 3 years ago by his own brother. So Jake has to be brought back and sent up to figure out what is causing the satellite faults (and faults on the space station) which quickly turns into a political thriller as Jake tells his brother Max (who works at the Whitehouse) that it seems to be sabotage and coming from high up the chain of command. The reason being the US is due to turn over the Satellite network control to the international community soon. Max with the help of his secret service agent girlfriend discover plans to create a mega unstoppable self perpetuating storm front on earth and realise they have to shut down the satellite network, problem is the key and only copy of the key is in the possession of the president who may also be the one behind the plot. Eventually Max decides to reveal what he has found to the head of security at the Whitehouse only for it to be revealed he was behind the virus sabotaging the satellite network and planned to use the system and create a Geostorm to wipe out America's enemies (on and did I mention that the President and head of security are democrats). After having to kidnap / rescue the president they rush to get the codes to Jake to shut down the station before the Geostorm can be formed

Far more enjoyable than it really should be and quite an uplifting film to an extent with it's strange cross between a political thriller, a disaster movie and a Sci-Fi disaster movie like Gravity. It was good fun and actually I'd probably recommend Geostorm. Sure it doesn't have the most to say but it's very much a fun ride.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
There's this film with Daniel Radcliffe playing a burnt out game dev that gets involved in some typical dumb movie nonsense, I gave a go. Was prepared for extreme cringe. And while the cringe levels wavered up and down through first few minutes of setup, it almost started to sound like Daniel knew the ins and outs of internet culture and might be an insightful protagonist. Until he freaks out over someone knowing his IP address?! Then it started presenting teen rom-com "wholesome awkward meet moment" vibes and I noped the fuck out. Sorry! I tried. Can't remember what it was called, am sure that won't be a problem either way.
Guns Akimbo

I enjoyed it well enough. Definitely a dumb movie, with dumb action, but it knows it's dumb and swerves into it hard. There's some pretty entertaining scenes. It also has the image that basically summarized 2020 in a nutshell.

1627099269165.png

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Guns Akimbo

I enjoyed it well enough. Definitely a dumb movie, with dumb action, but it knows it's dumb and swerves into it hard. There's some pretty entertaining scenes. It also has the image that basically summarized 2020 in a nutshell.

View attachment 4111
I think it was pretty close to brilliant it was just dumber than it needed to be. I think this is one where they could have played it a tiny bit more seriously and it would have benefited immensely. It was so close to being Battle Royale good.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Descendants 2 is significantly better than the original. The songs are less annoying, the secondary characters have more to work with, and the main character turns into a dragon and breathes fire on her enemy, which is an inherently cool thing to do.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Watched The Truman Show yesterday. It was fun, but also very confusing. Literally everyone in the movie, bar Truman and his love interest (well I mean even her maybe), is a terrible person. Like, mind boggingly terrible. How anyone could go along with such a thing is crazy, especially when they didn't really bother painting the world as some kind of dystopian nightmare.

But Jim Carrey's performance was great, and there were some very impressive shots. Such a creative movie, one you probably wouldn't see made today.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Watched The Truman Show yesterday. It was fun, but also very confusing. Literally everyone in the movie, bar Truman and his love interest (well I mean even her maybe), is a terrible person. Like, mind boggingly terrible. How anyone could go along with such a thing is crazy, especially when they didn't really bother painting the world as some kind of dystopian nightmare.

But Jim Carrey's performance was great, and there were some very impressive shots. Such a creative movie, one you probably wouldn't see made today.
Why would you make a movie like it today? We basically have people starring in their own versions thereof.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

I think they DID paint the world as a distopian nightmare. The very fact that a sizeable portion of the planet, was converted into a prison for one person, large enough to be seen from space. They BOUGHT a baby (a company mind you) off a young mother to OWN as property, and seal away in said prison, and hire an entire country's worth of people to run the prison, in order to film this one kid, 24/7. You have a setting where they forcibly set him up with an actress, despite his desire for someone else, even going so far as to remove her. They pretend to kill his father, intentionally traumatizing him as a control mechanism, convince an actress to marry and have sex with this guy, regardless of her OWN feelings on the matter. And broadcast the whole thing to the world, and the world eats it up...that seems a pretty clear indicator of how horrible their world is. Maybe not in the "lock step, jack booted thugs" kind of way, though they do employ such people to control Truman when he's missing, implying they were ALL ready to be that tyrannical to maintain their status quo. I mean the way the entire town becomes militarized, and the cute dogs become growling attack dogs, at the drop of a hat, indicates how far they are willing to go for their outlook on life.

But the average pleb, has been so desensitized to the voyeuristic lifestyle of "reality tv", that they don't even bat an eyelash at the entire concept. They live vicariously through Truman, wanting his idyllic life to be their own. But, when the show is over...."ok what's on another channel?" They just instantly want to consume something else. Oblivious to how Truman's entire concept of reality, and how he will filter all interactions with everyone forever, will probably lead him to insanity. I mean on the surface, Truman's situation, is what a lot of paranoid conspiracy theorists, think is actually going on in the world. He's going to become insane, paranoid, need lifelong therapy, you name it. He's going to be constantly hounded by the public, and have probably the most horrible life, if you push out the timeline beyond him vanishing through that door.

But...the audience doesn't care, or even consider that. They got their happy ending, and now time to check and see what else is on.

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan