Trailer for My Little Pony a New Generation

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ok, so we finally have a trailer for the new generation of MLP. For those of you that remember, which is all of you with taste, MLP generation 4 was Friendship is magic and it was awesome all the way through. It looks like the next generation, gen 5 will be 3d animated, at least for the movie that introduces it.

I... have reservations about it. I'm not sure how I feel about the designs they have going and a lot of the dialog is very kids movie trailer dialog, but it is a kids movie trailer so, whatever. Plus, it took me awhile to get into My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, I really liked the aesthetic style and stuff, but couldn't get into the show. Not till my friend demanded we watch it on drink night since the memes got to him and he was determined to give it a shot and ended up liking it and after that I got into it. Anyway, not sure about the first impression but I'll give it a shot and see what will be.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
buy_the_ticket__take_the_ride_by_pixelkitties-d73m7ja.png

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I watched the documentary or whatever it was on bronies and I have to say after watching a few episodes I definitely had a tiny bit more sympathy for them. The chaotic irreverent comedy does seem like it could be pretty addictive. I just don't really have a tolerance for that kinda high energy nonstop nonsensical humor. Same way with stuff like gumball. I can stand watching it with kids for an hour or two then I'm burnt out.

Watching the trailer it's a hard pass for me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ok, so we finally have a trailer for the new generation of MLP. For those of you that remember, which is all of you with taste, MLP generation 4 was Friendship is magic and it was awesome all the way through. It looks like the next generation, gen 5 will be 3d animated, at least for the movie that introduces it.

I... have reservations about it. I'm not sure how I feel about the designs they have going and a lot of the dialog is very kids movie trailer dialog, but it is a kids movie trailer so, whatever. Plus, it took me awhile to get into My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, I really liked the aesthetic style and stuff, but couldn't get into the show. Not till my friend demanded we watch it on drink night since the memes got to him and he was determined to give it a shot and ended up liking it and after that I got into it. Anyway, not sure about the first impression but I'll give it a shot and see what will be.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
View attachment 4229
Is that MLP version of Hunter S. Thompson actually canon? Or is that just some fan art?

I watched the documentary or whatever it was on bronies and I have to say after watching a few episodes I definitely had a tiny bit more sympathy for them. The chaotic irreverent comedy does seem like it could be pretty addictive. I just don't really have a tolerance for that kinda high energy nonstop nonsensical humor. Same way with stuff like gumball. I can stand watching it with kids for an hour or two then I'm burnt out.

Watching the trailer it's a hard pass for me.
If you watched that documentary, you might enjoy this. It's basically a breakdown of bronycon, by someone who loves MLP.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Is that MLP version of Hunter S. Thompson actually canon? Or is that just some fan art?
That pic is fanart but they do make a direct reference in an episode.
Screen grab from an episode in season 4, three's a crowd.

Reactions: happyninja42

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't put MLP in the same category of chaotic irreverent comedy in the same vein of Gumball. Pinkie Pie does lean into that, but outside of a few episodes they tend to reign her in and not let her take over. If you decide to give it another go I can recommend a few episodes. I recently re-watched it and it still really holds up, but it can be hard to get into, especially if you start from season 1. Season 1 has some great episodes but its also the season that is written the most for kids and that can be... hard to take.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Best of luck of to the new show. I won't be watching. We all knew this was coming at some point. Nothing lasts forever and new iterations and generations come.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It's hard to "take" that a cartoon about magic multicolor ponies is for kids?
Pretty sure they mean it's just not very well written, because writers often phone it in when they are writing for kids. Whereas later seasons I guess put in more effort to make the writing be enjoyable for everyone, of all ages.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's hard to "take" that a cartoon about magic multicolor ponies is for kids?
There is a distinct difference between something written to be acceptable for a 6 year old and a 9+ year old.

Pretty sure they mean it's just not very well written, because writers often phone it in when they are writing for kids. Whereas later seasons I guess put in more effort to make the writing be enjoyable for everyone, of all ages.
Actually its well written in all the seasons, but in season 1 they were trying to get a tax credit for aiming at young children, once it became apparent that wasn't happening and they realized the older audience the show had found they started inserting more jokes that adults would know like the Dude pony and such.

In season 1 there is more of a younger kid level to some of its writing and situations, as the show went on there was much more of an all ages angle, or as far as you can go with colorful cartoon horses.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hmm...

Okay, obviously the show is aimed at kids, and obviously the trailer is aimed at kids as well, but hopefully it can do what Gen 4 did as well.

Kind of nerding out a bit, but I like that there seems to have been an improvement in technology compared to G4 (since this is meant to take place long after it), though I have to wonder, if the three pony tribes broke up, shouldn't the wendigos come back? Y'know...that plot point at the end of G4, and hinted at throughout the series? Anyone?

As someone who was introduced to MLP through a roundabout way, basically season 1 is the most 'kiddy' of the seasons. Stories are relatively simple, characters are relatively simple, dialogue and themes are relatively simple, with almost every episode summed up with a "friendship lesson." The first three episodes of season 2 have an immediate change, with the first two having an actual threat via Discord (voiced by John DeLancie, who's awesome as always), and the third making the ditching of the 'friendship lesson' a plot point while we get some of the most hilarious writing the show's ever seen as Twilight freaks out. Through the rest of season 2, you (or I at least) can tell that there's been a change, in that the writing is sharper, and while still aimed at kids, is far more accessible, with reference to adult-only material (e.g. references to Terminator and Metal Gear in a single episode).

I don't know if the writers conciously shifted the direction, because the jump from season 1 to 2 is a jump that could have been made regardless of the show getting an adult audience, but it's a jump all the same. Every so often the show does get too 'twee,' but FiM is definitely a case of entertainment that is more "family based" than "children based," so to speak. Not going to blame anyone who finds MLP too kiddy, but there's more stuff there than what its name and brand suggests. At least for me.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
In season 1 there is more of a younger kid level to some of its writing and situations, as the show went on there was much more of an all ages angle, or as far as you can go with colorful cartoon horses.
Apparently Lauren Faust's original vision for the show was something a lot more mature than we got (We're talking stuff related to war between different people/places, a much MUCH larger plot focus, and beyond), which is a shame cause from what I read, it sounds awesome.

Every so often the show does get too 'twee,' but FiM is definitely a case of entertainment that is more "family based" than "children based," so to speak. Not going to blame anyone who finds MLP too kiddy, but there's more stuff there than what its name and brand suggests. At least for me.
Some episodes were definitely a bit of a groan and felt a little too kid friendly. Anything that involved baby ponies made me wanna mute half the episode. But otherwise it was damn solid. Besides the actual source material and the fact it's a show made for kids, it has all the makings for a quality cartoon. Good animation, solid voice acting, pretty good storylines and character development (Luna is a fan favourite for a reason), well done music, etc. It's a good show. Though I understand it being MLP is enough for people to not wanna get into it.

I don't know if the writers conciously shifted the direction, because the jump from season 1 to 2 is a jump that could have been made regardless of the show getting an adult audience, but it's a jump all the same.
Hooooooooooooo boy, season 5 and beyond definitely wanna have a word with you. Once that point hit, it was clear they knew who half of their audience was, and was absolutely leaning towards making the show directly for the older audience as well. I did ultimately not take to it at first cause it felt like they were meme-ing it up too much, but once I got through season 5 it calmed down a little.

Season 2 was a weird point where they shrugged off the extremely kid friendly writing and made it into its own thing. Everything past season 2 did that too, but once they got a handle on who their main audiences were (And where to direct the writing process), it never quite felt the same, personally speaking. There was something magical (pardon the pun) about season 2. Definitely showed where Faust's love went before she left the scene

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

If you watched that documentary, you might enjoy this. It's basically a breakdown of bronycon, by someone who loves MLP.

...jesus christ.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
....care to elaborate?
Naw, I want keep it vague as to whether I think it's gross, that it makes bronies more gross or that I'm just surprised at how long and complex the episode was.

I liked the point about men's sometimes tendency to sexualize anything we find attractive. I think it's hurtful, but difficult to dispute. Im simply not aroused by the ponies. Did I want to grow up and marry A-ko from project A-ko when I was 8? That's between me and god. I did not know there was such thing as bronie homophobia. What a contrary fandom.

It didn't change my opinion on the fandom or anything but it was enlightening to hear the background on it. Funnily enough the friendship is witchcraft thing did ring a bell, but not enough for me to go "oh my god that was her?!".

I still view the whole thing with about as much interest as my friends show when I yammer on about how I think the star wars prequels completely contradicted the original films intent of the name "The Clone Wars", like why would they call it the Clone Wars if wasn't even about The Clones? The clone army was just a part of the conflict. Clearly the original film meant it to be a conflict over cloning utilization *continues rant into the night hours*

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I had a crush on Ryoko when I was 9. No one's judging you.
oooh I feel that. I won an award in art class for both a school mural I made of Ryoko and a silkscreen T-shirt with her on it. This was like a year before the anime craze in the 90s so everybody thought my ideas were pretty original for a brief window. She was surprisingly easy to draw compared some of the harder stuff I was doing like Guyver. I was always more in Ranma but I did collect Tenchi comics mostly for the art style which I really liked and I think I've seen most of the shows and movies.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Season 1 was the only one I really liked, I thought season 2 was pretty awful on the whole and gave up on the show after that.

OT: I doubt the lightning will strike a second time.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'm not a fan of My Little Pony but I have to say that the 3D CGI style is not a good look for MLP, I don't know why Netflix is so fond of it. And it seems very wrong that My Little Pony and Ghost in the Shell look like they could be in the same universe.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Apparently Lauren Faust's original vision for the show was something a lot more mature than we got (We're talking stuff related to war between different people/places, a much MUCH larger plot focus, and beyond), which is a shame cause from what I read, it sounds awesome.
I don't know about that, but it is possible. I know she did leave mid season 2 since she had a more mature vision in mind that they wouldn't let her do, although I have a feeling it was mainly hasbro's focus on younger kids for that tax credit thing in season 1 that did it and if she had the freedom of later seasons she would have gone with it.