The Wheel of Time

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
The trailer for the new Amazon Prime series is out

It's been a while since I read the books but weren't there these three guys who were important to the plot?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's been a while since I read the books but weren't there these three guys who were important to the plot?
Rand, Matt, and Perin. And numerous other characters. But if you're wondering why the trailer is focusing on Moraine, it's that she's the main character of season 1, as in, most of the events take place from her POV.

Anyway, I'm meh on the whole thing. I'm not a fan of the books (read the first three and the New Spring graphic novel, haven't gone back since), and the trailer seems...off, to be honest. Generic as hell, while trying to be epic.

Reactions: gorfias

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Rand, Matt, and Perin. And numerous other characters. But if you're wondering why the trailer is focusing on Moraine, it's that she's the main character of season 1, as in, most of the events take place from her POV.

Anyway, I'm meh on the whole thing. I'm not a fan of the books (read the first three and the New Spring graphic novel, haven't gone back since), and the trailer seems...off, to be honest. Generic as hell, while trying to be epic.
I understand the decision to focus on Moraine for the first book, but its going to be really awkward when they make sequel and she become an unimportant side character. Also the whole "woman power" aspect the trailer seem to be pushing is very much gone after the first book, where Rand eventually become an harem protagonist and start collecting wife and side chicks and they cat fight with each other over him.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I wonder how they'll handle the two or three books where the plot completely stalls out and we keep meeting new characters who are almost immediately killed off so that the hero can angst about it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria

I suspect the protagonist is going to be Egwene based on the trailer. It opens with Egwene jumping in the river, and Moraine's voiceover over the bulk of the trailer is presumably directed at Egwene.

It's just a bit weird that in the book Rand, Matt and Perrin are literally the most important people for generations, so much so that pretty much everybody is looking for them. And they barely feature in the trailer. It makes me think that Amazon have taken a few liberties with the plot.

I agree that it does looks really generic.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I suspect the protagonist is going to be Egwene based on the trailer. It opens with Egwene jumping in the river, and Moraine's voiceover over the bulk of the trailer is presumably directed at Egwene.

It's just a bit weird that in the book Rand, Matt and Perrin are literally the most important people for generations, so much so that pretty much everybody is looking for them. And they barely feature in the trailer. It makes me think that Amazon have taken a few liberties with the plot.

I agree that it does looks really generic.
It's been outright stated that Moraine is the protagonist of at least the first season. Looking at the description, from what I can tell, the Dragon is presented as a mystery in the show's original season - like, no doubt it'll be revealed as Rand eventually, but we'll see things unfold from her perspective.

We also know that liberties are being taken. I mean, that's true of any adaptation, but from what I've read, various events will be mixed and matched (e.g. events in book 2 will occur in book 1 and vice versa).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's been outright stated that Moraine is the protagonist of at least the first season. Looking at the description, from what I can tell, the Dragon is presented as a mystery in the show's original season - like, no doubt it'll be revealed as Rand eventually, but we'll see things unfold from her perspective.

We also know that liberties are being taken. I mean, that's true of any adaptation, but from what I've read, various events will be mixed and matched (e.g. events in book 2 will occur in book 1 and vice versa).
Considering the pacing in parts the series is apparently......I'll be charitable and call it Slow.....I have no doubt there will be some condensing and adapting here.

I am curious to watch it and I'll no doubt watch the series before I read the books at any rate because the sheer 13 book length of the series is just intimidating, so we'll see if it ends up working.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I wonder how they'll handle the two or three books where the plot completely stalls out and we keep meeting new characters who are almost immediately killed off so that the hero can angst about it.
Got a work buddy that loved this series of books. Not sure it looks like my sorta thing but happy to see fantasy doing relatively well these days.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Meh, I'll give it a shot. Keeping my expectations low tho. Then again, that is pretty much my default.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'll be watching it, and I really do hope they are "taking liberties" with the source material... which I liked. But I'm generally strange that way. If something is a "faithful direct adaptation" of source material, I generally hate it. I stopped watching Game of Thrones after season 2... It was boring. I already knew what was going to happen and just lost interest. By comparison, I liked the low budget cable "Legend of the Seeker" pretty much specifically because it was a drastic change from the source material and seemed like new content. The TV version of The Dresden Files, I found great. It was like "What If" kind of familiar characters in a vastly different setting. Wheel of Time was a good series, that got bogged down severely in its own narrative and lost its way until getting refocused by a new author at the end. I liked it overall. But I'm hoping this series goes in a different direction. I can think of several "plot important" characters whose parts could be cut entirely and wouldn't hurt the series overall.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So this looks incredible, some of the casting choices look very odd (mainly the girl playing who I assume to be Egwene, which is supposed to look like this b7rc-square-1536.jpg .

Hell, I'd even take the comic book version which at least fits the descriptions in the book lol
Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 13-15-00 Nynaeve_2 webp (WEBP Image, 249 × 311 pixels).png, at least she looks like she could have actual braids here (braids are a very big cultural element in the series, in case people who haven't read it are confused about my focus on it, it denotes marriageability), but I guess I'll chalk it up to "current day", I just want my boi Perrin to wolf down some fools with his axes and other arsenal.

The focus on Moiraine is completely normal and that bit I honestly would be disappointed if it was toned down to focus on early Rand, cause early Rand is boring as fuck, it takes him a book to get interesting. I want my magic not-elf waifu please XD.

Also this trailer had a critical lack of braid-tugging, 0/10.

Last edited:

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I just want my boi Perrin to wolf down some fools with his axes and other arsenal.
Yeah that reminds me I thought his axes looked pretty stupid in the trailer as well. I've probably been watching Forged in Fire too much but those short, double bladed axes are really dangerous. If he hits a shield or armour with them the reverse blade is going to come straight back at his face.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
I've not read the books, but a friend informed me that it's pretty...fetishy in some ways. Anyone confirm or debunk this?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've not read the books, but a friend informed me that it's pretty...fetishy in some ways. Anyone confirm or debunk this?
Fetishy... like bondage and stuff? Not really, there is a female villain who has mind controlled boy toy that she use as furniture, but she's pretty minor.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Nah it's pretty vanilla. Just orthodox stuff all around.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I wonder how they'll handle most of the women in the books being complete shithouses because Robert Jordan had some sort of serious problem with all women who weren't his mum. And maybe also a few problems with her.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I really, really, fucking hope they've taken liberties with the plot if it's to be any good.

The best liberty they could have probably taken was to dramatise a completely different fantasy series.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I wonder how they'll handle most of the women in the books being complete shithouses because Robert Jordan had some sort of serious problem with all women who weren't his mum. And maybe also a few problems with her.
Doesn't one of the main characters also get a harem?