What is the stupidest movie ever made?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Intentionally stupid or sincere in its attempt?
Because of the later, Atlas Shrugged Part III: Who Is John Galt? edges out United Passions (The FIFA movie) for me in the "nobody wants this, take the hint" department.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Intentionally stupid or sincere in its attempt?
Because of the later, Atlas Shrugged Part III: Who Is John Galt? edges out United Passions (The FIFA movie) for me in the "nobody wants this, take the hint" department.
I've never seen the atlas shrugged movies or read the book. I've read a great deal of Ayn Rands ideas and beliefs and it's led me to have zero interest in reading her books if it's simply her ideas wrapped around straw figures. She didn't seem to have a complete understanding of economics or how societal concerns shift and progress when dealing with adversity or simply that life has a lot of grey areas. One comment from the wiki "create unrealistic expectations of how consistently rational human beings should be."

It's interesting that those Atlas shrugged movies never received stable financial backing for how important so many claim her works are. I watched the trailer for Atlas Shrugged Part III: Who Is John Galt? and I'm pretty confident I've filmed higher quality backyard wrestling videos.

The movie I keep coming back to is The Pest (1997). My dad still holds a small grudge against me for making him see it in theaters. If you've never heard of it, it was John Leguizamos attempt to recreate the Jim Carrey big breakout character stuff. It was kind of Like Jim carrey meets Tom green and it failed horrendously. I know its on at least a couple critics lists of worst/stupidest movies of all time

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've never seen the atlas shrugged movies or read the book. I've read a great deal of Ayn Rands ideas and beliefs and it's led me to have zero interest in reading her books if it's simply her ideas wrapped around straw figures. She didn't seem to have a complete understanding of economics or how societal concerns shift and progress when dealing with adversity or simply that life has a lot of grey areas. One comment from the wiki "create unrealistic expectations of how consistently rational human beings should be."

It's interesting that those Atlas shrugged movies never received stable financial backing for how important so many claim her works are. I watched the trailer for Atlas Shrugged Part III: Who Is John Galt? and I'm pretty confident I've filmed higher quality backyard wrestling videos.

The movie I keep coming back to is The Pest (1997). My dad still holds a small grudge against me for making him see it in theaters. If you've never heard of it, it was John Leguizamos attempt to recreate the Jim Carrey big breakout character stuff. It was kind of Like Jim carrey meets Tom green and it failed horrendously. I know its on at least a couple critics lists of worst/stupidest movies of all time

And yet that man literally auditioned on his knees to play Toulouse Lautrec in Moulin Rogue. There really is no true magnetic north for acting talent.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Do "documentaries" count?

To keep tippy toppo topical, a couple of offensively bad ones in the sense they very much actually contribute to current behaviours linked to a solid, rising death toll;

Do not look at the comments in there if one's sanity is valued.

And of course, the main culprit called "Plandemic" which isn't on YouTube, so am wondering if it's irresponsible to link to it here at all. I shan't for now, but only if sincerely requested. Again...rising death tolls, peoples!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
For me it was Dumb and Dumber. I don't enjoy idiot humor, I don't find it funny. I don't take any pleasure from just watching people intentionally being assholes, and justifying it as "well they're stupid, so of course they act like this." And then at the end, when I think "ok hey maybe their going to give them some actual growth...oh...no, of course they won't. They're going to point the bus of hot chicks somewhere else." Just, fuck that film, it's stupid.

And yes I get that was on purpose, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid film, stupidly designed just to be a Jim Carey vehicle (an actor I find grating and annoying most of the time), and on par with those Scary Movies/Meet the Spartans levels of immature, idiot humor

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
For me it was Dumb and Dumber. I don't enjoy idiot humor, I don't find it funny. I don't take any pleasure from just watching people intentionally being assholes, and justifying it as "well they're stupid, so of course they act like this." And then at the end, when I think "ok hey maybe their going to give them some actual growth...oh...no, of course they won't. They're going to point the bus of hot chicks somewhere else." Just, fuck that film, it's stupid.

And yes I get that was on purpose, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid film, stupidly designed just to be a Jim Carey vehicle (an actor I find grating and annoying most of the time), and on par with those Scary Movies/Meet the Spartans levels of immature, idiot humor
Sometimes it depends on the flavour of idiot. Dumb and Dumber is a move I detest, but Beavis and Butt-Head Do America puts me in stiches. I mean they're both movies about idiots being idiots but one I hate and one I love, so, I dunno. Movie's can be weird like that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sometimes it depends on the flavour of idiot. Dumb and Dumber is a move I detest, but Beavis and Butt-Head Do America puts me in stiches. I mean they're both movies about idiots being idiots but one I hate and one I love, so, I dunno. Movie's can be weird like that.
Sure personal tastes can vary, but for me at least, that genre of comedy is just not funny. I've learned that over the years. Any show/movie that entirely revolves around "haha, it's funny because they're so stupid" usually also petty and mean lumped in there, does not amuse me. It's why I don't like sitcoms, or family guy, or simpsons, or seinfeld, or any other of a long list of shows built around that premise.

Just not my thing. But Dumb and Dumber, genuinely got me angry by the time the credits rolled. I was actually upset with the time I'd wasted watching that film.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Sure personal tastes can vary, but for me at least, that genre of comedy is just not funny. I've learned that over the years. Any show/movie that entirely revolves around "haha, it's funny because they're so stupid" usually also petty and mean lumped in there, does not amuse me. It's why I don't like sitcoms, or family guy, or simpsons, or seinfeld, or any other of a long list of shows built around that premise.

Just not my thing. But Dumb and Dumber, genuinely got me angry by the time the credits rolled. I was actually upset with the time I'd wasted watching that film.
That's fair. I mean the ones of those I still like are probably just skating by on grandfathering rules. If I tried a newer show based on the same premise I'd probably checkout in five minutes.

Reactions: happyninja42

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dumb and Dumber I remember liking, but it was not my favorite Jim Carrey movie. We don't talk about the sequels. In the cartoon only lasted one season and I vaguely remember that. The 90s was an odd decade where they were adapting Jim Carrey movies as cartoons. Granted, the cartoon versions of The Mask and Ace Ventura are actually good. I watched him a lot as a kid. Do America I did find funnier, but Beavis and Butthead really don't do much for me at this point. Aside from a couple clips here and there. Most shows that make fun of people have been done to death, so I rarely bother with them other than some minor nostalgia. The only show I can think of that comes close to like that is Panty And Stocking, yet they're not as stupid as most other duos. Though they are less stupid, and more just apathetic and careless. Of the two, Panty is the dumb one.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
Left Behind (2014) with Nicolas Cage. It's a movie that basically enacts the Christian prophecy of "the rupture". The execution was far from favorable. It felt like the entire film, everyone was like "hey, let's put in crappy dialogue and just show a ton of cut-scenes of everything being chaotic!", "Oh, and we'll end the film with a cliffhanger so that everyone requests for a second movie!"–newsflash, there was never a sequel.

Also, whoever thought human centipede was a good idea should be booked in a psychiatric ward immediately.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm gonna go with Birdemic, because it did more damage to the environmental cause than a hundred Exxon PR chumps could ever hope to manage. James Nguyen is either a talentless, unskilled idiot who thinks that his message needs no actual effort or a subversive of the highest caliber.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Probably practically everything directed by Seltzer and Friedberg. You know, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans and so on. But, you know, not the fun kind of stupid. They feel like movies written by an algorithm with no creative input from a human being whatsoever. Just a crude, nonsensical mashup of cheap referencese and arbitrary vulgarity.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I would say 2007's Shoot 'Em Up, as its impossible to watch without losing precious IQ points and brain cells... but I've seen director Michael Davis earlier film Monster Man and it (somehow) IS a dumber film. After having seen Shoot 'Em Up I would never have thought it possible, but its true. Its hard to say which is worse, both are so awful. Monster Man is not as well written (and that's a blowfully low bar,) but Shoot 'Em Up absolutely wastes good acting talent in Paul Giamatti, Clive Owen, and Stephen McHattie. Monster Man didn't have any talent on display to waste at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would say 2007's Shoot 'Em Up, as its impossible to watch without losing precious IQ points and brain cells... but I've seen director Michael Davis earlier film Monster Man and it (somehow) IS a dumber film. After having seen Shoot 'Em Up I would never have thought it possible, but its true. Its hard to say which is worse, both are so awful. Monster Man is not as well written (and that's a blowfully low bar,) but Shoot 'Em Up absolutely wastes good acting talent in Paul Giamatti, Clive Owen, and Stephen McHattie. Monster Man didn't have any talent on display to waste at all.
I remember Shoot 'Em Up being kind of boring and forgetful after a watch. I've seen the movie at least twice, and I still don't remember everything. Nor am I invested to watch that movie again.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I don't know. But one of my lowest rated movies ever is Dirty Dozen: The Next Mission.

TV sequel made eighteen years after the original movie. Has Lee Marvin again, in the same war. The mission of the new dirty dozen is to assassinate a Nazi general/commander before he can assassinate Hitler, because he's a more incompetent commander than whoever they would replace him with. It's as stupid as it sounds.

Seriously, Hitler is NOT the target.

At least Mr. Marvin aged well. But still, eighteen years, same war.

Ernest Borgnine and the instructor are back too. You probably don't know any of the other actors. The new characters have none of the charisma of the old.

"Okay, chief."

I think you can guess who this is supposed to imitate.

Considering it's a TV movie, they did okay with the budget they had. Still, there is a cheapness to the whole movie.

After they already insert themselves into occupied France by landing on a German base in German uniforms, there is a parachuting scene later. I was confused. They also had to expedite the mission earlier and skip the parachute training. That is why they landed instead. Maybe I wasn't paying attention somewhere. Probably it's just stupid.

It follows a lot of the same story beats as the original. The terms given to the new dirty dozen are exactly the same too. The operation doesn't go as planned at all. But I got the sense it was more because of budgetary reasons and bad planning by the filmmakers than for the story. I know they were having fun with this and doing it for the fans. I even liked it a little. But it's just so stupid and such a bad example of how to do a sequel.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Stupidest I've actually seen is probably one of those Friedman/Seltzer "parodies". Pretty sure I've seen on or two of those. Don't remember which, and it doesn't matter, cuz they're all the same shit.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The problem with this question is that if I find a movie genuinely stupid I'll just turn it off. So the stupidest movie I've ever seen I've probably never finished and don't remember too well.

As for ones I have finished, maybe Robocop 2 and Predator 2. But then I also recently saw Bachelor Party again.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The problem with this question is that if I find a movie genuinely stupid I'll just turn it off. So the stupidest movie I've ever seen I've probably never finished and don't remember too well.

As for ones I have finished, maybe Robocop 2 and Predator 2. But then I also recently saw Bachelor Party again.
I wish I could do that. I'm too stupidly stubborn to stop watching a movie, no matter how Robocop 2 level of bad it is. Especially when I paid for a ticket or rental, but even if I'm watching for "free" on TV or streaming. If I blocked out the time to watch a movie... I'm too stubborn to stop. Even when, for example, Man of Steel had such bad cinematography I was very nearly physically ill... I refused to walk out of the movie. Some of that though, for me a movie is an event. I don't ever casually watch a movie. I cut the cable cord years and years ago, so I don't ever just watch a movie because I flipped by it on TV anymore. TV isn't like that though, I can give up on a series. Did it back in the day with the X-Files after season 6. Only watched 2 seasons of Game of Thrones and gave up because it was boring me, same with Supernatural after 2 seasons. After 4 seasons of The Walking Dead I was very much too bored of it to continue. But for some reason, can't quit on a movie. And it hurts when it is Monster Man levels of terrible.