Share some things that make you smile!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't know why I find this so funny. Maybe because "salting the earth" seems like something so intellectually beyond Homer's reach, it lays bare the passive-aggressive contempt he has for his good-natured neighbor?

Reactions: gorfias

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't know why I find this so funny. Maybe because "salting the earth" seems like something so intellectually beyond Homer's reach, it lays bare the passive-aggressive contempt he has for his good-natured neighbor?

Nah, salting the earth is something they love teaching in church, about how to deal with evil things that god cursed. It's similar to how if you asked them about sodom and gomorra, or mention lot, they'll probably remember the bit about his wife being turned to a pillar of salt for disobeying. The various horrible things are often the bits they remember from that book...until it's inconvenient and they need to pretend they didn't happen.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Nah, salting the earth is something they love teaching in church, about how to deal with evil things that god cursed. It's similar to how if you asked them about sodom and gomorra, or mention lot, they'll probably remember the bit about his wife being turned to a pillar of salt for disobeying. The various horrible things are often the bits they remember from that book...until it's inconvenient and they need to pretend they didn't happen.
Salting the earth predates christianity by at least a millenium, as something conquerors did to symbolically or literally render the conquereds lands infertile as an expression of their complete domination and destruction. According to legend, the Romans notably salted Carthage after the final victory in the Third Punic War, pretty much because they hated the Carthaginians so much they'd rather raze the city to the ground and make it so nothing could ever grow there again as an ultimate insult, than take it for their own. Possibly never actually happened tho, or at least not the salting part.

Tho I'm guessing it's just one of the many many things christians appropriated and then pretended was their thing long enough for people to start believing it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Salting the earth predates christianity by at least a millenium, as something conquerors did to symbolically or literally render the conquereds lands infertile as an expression of their complete domination and destruction. According to legend, the Romans notably salted Carthage after the final victory in the Third Punic War, pretty much because they hated the Carthaginians so much they'd rather raze the city to the ground and make it so nothing could ever grow there again as an ultimate insult, than take it for their own. Possibly never actually happened tho, or at least not the salting part.

Tho I'm guessing it's just one of the many many things christians appropriated and then pretended was their thing long enough for people to start believing it.
It most certainly is, I just mean that to people today, as far as familiarity of the term "salt the earth", for someone like Homer, who is about as backwoods, barnyard stupid of a cross section of 'murica as you can get, it would be biblical. Also the context of doing it to the super religious, bible thumping neighbor as an insult, further reinforces the christian connection for the layperson, as far as where they would've heard of it. I'm 100% certain it's not christian original, very few things are. But outside of classical history buffs, nobody's going to think about Carthage and the 3rd Punic War, when referring to it. They probably have never heard of either thing to be honest.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Or it's just something people did back in ancient times and some supposedly "very intelligent" atheists have never read any actual history books and just attribute anything negative as being spawned from religion.

It most certainly is, I just mean that to people today, as far as familiarity of the term "salt the earth", for someone like Homer, who is about as backwoods, barnyard stupid of a cross section of 'murica as you can get, it would be biblical. Also the context of doing it to the super religious, bible thumping neighbor as an insult, further reinforces the christian connection for the layperson, as far as where they would've heard of it. I'm 100% certain it's not christian original, very few things are. But outside of classical history buffs, nobody's going to think about Carthage and the 3rd Punic War, when referring to it. They probably have never heard of either thing to be honest.
No, I think you're just being hipster-atheist again and just want to make something up to blow off steam.

Anyway, on topic.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Or it's just something people did back in ancient times and some supposedly "very intelligent" atheists have never read any actual history books and just attribute anything negative as being spawned from religion.

No, I think you're just being hipster-atheist again and just want to make something up to blow off steam.

Anyway, on topic.

Seeing as you don't even know what the word atheist means, I don't really fucking care what your opinion on the matter is.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Some heroes can fly. Some are super strong. Others can make a specific individual gag on command. If my girlfriend was this sensitive, I would do this every day, and it would never get old. I would even risk our relationship for these kinds of lols.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
C63FBB4F-8E95-4245-A611-98A1008C96EF.jpeg
I've had this in my picture folder for years now and the context still eludes me. It's driving me insane

Reactions: BrawlMan