Texas v abortion

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I cannot see that this has been mentioned yet, but here is the President of Tripwire Interactive (Red Orchestra, Killing Floor, and publisher of Chivalry 2) praising this new law

aaaand here the response by a studio who has worked with Tripwire for the past 3 years, cancelling all contracts with them, because of this

Aaaaaaaaaaand, hes gone.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So it seems this debate entered the realm of video games. Some ceo tweeted out being in support of the bill and now he's been forced to resign.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't think people should be fired over having bad political opinions, but there's a difference between bad political opinions and bad political opinions where you cheer on the state employing bounty hunters to harass anyone involved in an abortion.
Yeah, that's a 'line' worthy of discussion.

If the guy basically ran the place well and was a decent person to his staff it feels mighty unfair to terminate him over this opinion. On the other hand any woman working there would undoudtebly feel uncomfortable knowing that their boss thinks they are not allowed this choice.

There probably wasn't any other option left though after that tweet, seeing as people were already pulling out of contracts with them. I don't know if a rectification/apology from the guy would've helped much. Don't really know how to feel about this, maybe he was actually just a pretty nice guy, but then I've also seen plenty of very nice people suddenly express some extremely disturbing views.

Don't know how funny this is for the people in Texas, but it just popped into my head.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In Dwarven's defence, I'm pretty sure they're from the UK. So unless they've undertaken independent study on the subject they probably aren't terribly familiar with how courts work in Texas. I mean, I sure as hell don't.
To be fair, Texas courts can think they have a very long reach.

Several years ago, two Texans bought Liverpool Football Club. They bought it by sort of mortgaging the club: borrowing and putting those debts onto the club itself. However, they had made a big mistake and screwed the finances of LFC, ending up with the club's creditors forcing the owners to accept conditions that the board could sell the club to other owners without their permission. This eventually occurred - an interested buyer arrived and the board recommended sale, which the Texan owners resisted with much absurdity and hijnix (it was so entertaining I followed the livestream). It ended up at the British High Court. The High Court duly declared that everything was good and proper, the Texan owners had clearly legally signed away their rights to block a sale and the club could therefore be sold (at a deliciously huge loss to the Texans - I think well over $100 million).

At which point - gobsmackingly - they went to a Texan judge who declared an injunction blocking the sale despite it being completely outside Texan jurisdiction.

To say the British High Court judge was not amused would be an understatement. He informed the Texans and their legal team that they had 24h to remove that injunction otherwise every single one of them would be up for contempt of court. Unsurprisingly, very shortly after, the Texan judge removed his injunction.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
To uphold balance...Who could've foreseen that publicly celebrating half the population losing their rights to an outdated and harmful ideology would've negatively affected their public image?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
To be fair, Texas courts can think they have a very long reach.

Several years ago, two Texans bought Liverpool Football Club. They bought it by sort of mortgaging the club: borrowing and putting those debts onto the club itself. However, they had made a big mistake and screwed the finances of LFC, ending up with the club's creditors forcing the owners to accept conditions that the board could sell the club to other owners without their permission. This eventually occurred - an interested buyer arrived and the board recommended sale, which the Texan owners resisted with much absurdity and hijnix (it was so entertaining I followed the livestream). It ended up at the British High Court. The High Court duly declared that everything was good and proper, the Texan owners had clearly legally signed away their rights to block a sale and the club could therefore be sold (at a deliciously huge loss to the Texans - I think well over $100 million).

At which point - gobsmackingly - they went to a Texan judge who declared an injunction blocking the sale despite it being completely outside Texan jurisdiction.

To say the British High Court judge was not amused would be an understatement. He informed the Texans and their legal team that they had 24h to remove that injunction otherwise every single one of them would be up for contempt of court. Unsurprisingly, very shortly after, the Texan judge removed his injunction.
What? I mean fucking what?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Here's an interesting interview

Some interesting fact I didn't know
The 14th amendment made sure that the constitution was applied to states, where previously it only was applicable to the federal government
This was NOT done immediately. So, for example, the first amendment did not have to be follow by the state governments until the supreme court ruled on it in the 1920s
Similarly, the states did not have to provide an attorney until the 1960s
People in NY could not sue to get rid of the Stop and Frisk policy as they could not prove they definitely would be hurt by a police officer due to Stop and Frisk. Even if they got hurt previously
This Dean suggests there is nothing stopping Abbott from making a law where a citizen criticizing Abbott could be sued by another citizen. He can get around any constitutional mandate

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So Mexico is more progressive than Texas on this issue?

Then again a lot of places are more progressive than Texas, period.
Yeah but being pipped at the post by Mexico? That place is one of the strongholds of the Catholic faith, something like 89% of the country's religious are Christian, and 78% of that are Catholics. That's a hell of concession for such a religiously conservative country to make.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So now that Governor Abbott has announced Texas will be ending all rape, tacitly admitting he had the power to end rape this whole time and didn't, is it fair to hold him criminally negligent for every rape that's happened in Texas since he took over?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Are you 1) advocating abstinence, or 2) claiming that birth control is 100% effective and never fails?

It has to be one of those, both of which are nonsense.
It doesn't have to be one of those, because you can deliver a child and have other people take over from there, but 1 is a pretty good option, generally speaking.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Outdated and harmful ideology.
The status quo you defend is as old as western civilization. Roe v. Wade was a sad and shallow rationalization for why we should follow the same traditions as people centuries ago with essentially no knowledge of medical science. The idea that a fetus isn't a human being is the old and outdated belief, a belief that is inevitably going to be beaten by medical science, and the more capable people become at ending a pregnancy without ending the life, the closer we come to the 100% ban of killing fetuses.

Reactions: gorfias

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't have to be one of those, because you can deliver a child and have other people take over from there
Really? Because there are quite a few more kids in need of adoption than there are families looking to adopt already.

but 1 is a pretty good option, generally speaking.
It's also utterly unrealistic in real-world scenarios, as we know.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Really? Because there are quite a few more kids in need of adoption than there are families looking to adopt already.
No, there aren't. There is at all times an order of magnitude more families wanting to adopt than there are children to adopt (in the US*). There are older children stuck in the foster system, mostly either because their parents have only temporarily lost custody or because they have unique issues that any random family isn't equipped to manage, but there are dozens of hopeful would-be parents for every infant adopted. The average wait time is in years, without counting that the majority of people who consider adopting a baby give up on it.

*The UK is different, because for some reason your government has decided to make both giving away and adopting a child into miserable, arduous processes.

Reactions: gorfias

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's because people only want to adopt infants.

There over a hundred thousand non-infants wanting to be adopted that these "concerned would-be parents" don't give two shits about

Look, you figure out a way to remove a fetus from a person *without* killing it, at every stage of development, *and* you make it so doing so isn't a burden on the person wanting to do so, *then* you can ban abortion.

Not one minute sooner. Bodily autonomy is paramount

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It doesn't have to be one of those, because you can deliver a child and have other people take over from there, but 1 is a pretty good option, generally speaking.
I would say, knowing how humans work, that 1 isn't very good at making sure 2 becomes the norm.

I am way more interested in preventions rather than cures. But 1 is like have a vitamin C tablet to stave off a cold. Somewhat effective