Cruis'n Blast - An old school arcade racer I will have more fun with than any modern racing game

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When I get paid, I am picking myself a copy. This game looks like as close as we're going to a Burnout sequel. Eat it, EA!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
When I get paid, I am picking myself a copy. This game looks like as close as we're going to a Burnout sequel. Eat it, EA!

I dunno. Looks fun, but "Burnout sequel" is a bit of a stretch. IMO, Burnout crested at Revenge on the 360/PS3 generation; this looks more like something you'd have found on the Xbox/PS2. That said, it does wet the palate for a current gen Burnout after Paradise shit the bed, but I think devs are done making stuff that's just fun, deferring to what they can monetize and mete out in $$$ doses.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I can't figure out what racing games seem to be mostly ignored by the gaming industry these past few years. Outside of sims, or almost sims we don't ever see AAA arcade racing games anymore. A new Burnout could be amazing.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I dunno. Looks fun, but "Burnout sequel" is a bit of a stretch. IMO, Burnout crested at Revenge on the 360/PS3 generation; this looks more like something you'd have found on the Xbox/PS2. That said, it does wet the palate for a current gen Burnout after Paradise shit the bed, but I think devs are done making stuff that's just fun, deferring to what they can monetize and mete out in $$$ doses.
The game has a mechanic where if you nock cars into the wall or other cars, you gain a nitro boost. I noticed in at least two of the videos. So there's definitely some burnout in there. It's a port of an arcade game from 2017, and I do remember playing that back in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Looks fun, but "Burnout sequel" is a bit of a stretch. IMO, Burnout crested at Revenge on the 360/PS3 generation; this looks more like something you'd have found on the Xbox/PS2.
That's because it's a sequel to arcade racing games from the N64 era of games (though the one I'm familiar with was Exotica);

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't figure out what racing games seem to be mostly ignored by the gaming industry these past few years. Outside of sims, or almost sims we don't ever see AAA arcade racing games anymore. A new Burnout could be amazing.
A lot of old school style arcade racing games are on Switch. Most are made by AA and Indie studios.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I want a sequel to Split/Second: Velocity.

I know I have more chance of bumping into Karen Gillan in my local supermarket and her falling in love with me.

But I still want it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I don't understand why racing games have to always be boring as shit. Why not make a game like those chase scenes in the movie Ronin or a a game with races on public roads with life or death traffic dodges. Instead every racing game is just the same monotonous loop or it's some ridiculously over the top indie. None of those games scratch that itch. That is like, the essence of a videogame; to do the kind of shit you never get to experience in real life. I guess technically you could if you ignored the consequences like an early grave or jail lmao. Open world games have these elements of traffic chaos but it does a lot of things at the same time and none of them really good. Imagine next-gen graphics with npcs or other players smashing through wind shields as you bump into them with 250 miles per hour in first person or rolling over the freeway as their car is ripped apart from a collision while cops are chasing you as you make an attempt to shake them in densely populated urban areas *drool* A game like this with the controls of say GTA Sport with a wide selection of grocery getters, trucks, sedans, exotic sports cars and weird prototypes would be a dream come true.

The only game that came somewhat close to the kind of racing game I wish for was NFS Hot Pursuit. I played that game relentlessly and is like the only online game I ever played where I consistently won almost every match(I looooooved the 1 vs 1 cop chase Interceptor mode). It's still a fun game but it aged kinda bad with the prominent rubberbanding and shameless cash grab that is the remaster.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't understand why racing games have to always be boring as shit. Why not make a game like those chase scenes in the movie Ronin or a a game with races on public roads with life or death traffic dodges. Instead every racing game is just the same monotonous loop or it's some ridiculously over the top indie. None of those games scratch that itch. That is like, the essence of a videogame; to do the kind of shit you never get to experience in real life. I guess technically you could if you ignored the consequences like an early grave or jail lmao. Open world games have these elements of traffic chaos but it does a lot of things at the same time and none of them really good. Imagine next-gen graphics with npcs or other players smashing through wind shields as you bump into them with 250 miles per hour in first person or rolling over the freeway as their car is ripped apart from a collision while cops are chasing you as you make an attempt to shake them in densely populated urban areas *drool* A game like this with the controls of say GTA Sport with a wide selection of grocery getters, trucks, sedans, exotic sports cars and weird prototypes would be a dream come true.

The only game that came somewhat close to the kind of racing game I wish for was NFS Hot Pursuit. I played that game relentlessly and is like the only online game I ever played where I consistently won almost every match(I looooooved the 1 vs 1 cop chase Interceptor mode). It's still a fun game but it aged kinda bad with the prominent rubberbanding and shameless cash grab that is the remaster.
Burnout was pretty close to that, in terms of high speed crashes and road rage style driving that would get someone killed IRL. I think even a cross between those games and the open world detail/physics of a GTA game would be amazing. All these stupid publishers are really missing out on a golden opportunity here.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't understand why racing games have to always be boring as shit. Why not make a game like those chase scenes in the movie Ronin or a a game with races on public roads with life or death traffic dodges. Instead every racing game is just the same monotonous loop or it's some ridiculously over the top indie.
It's called constantly playing it safe as far as the realistic simulators goes. Easy money without much effort. Plus, it's mandated in contracts that that all the car companies don't want to see their cars get wrecked or damaged in any fashion. At least the indie and AA scene have something different and are keeping the arcade experience alive. During the 7th generation of consoles, we had plenty of arcade racers for a good while. During the latter half of the generation, and early generation 8, we got less and less as far as the big boy consoles go. Nintendo was picking up the slack, or Steam to get just fun arcade racers. It's true we can use more movie style car games that involve chasing. That period came and went during the sixth generation of consoles. You want something close to Ronin or Bullit, check out Driver San Francisco. It's one of the last few good games Ubisoft ever bothered to make.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's called constantly playing it safe as far as the realistic simulators goes. Easy money without much effort. Plus, it's mandated in contracts that that all the car companies don't want to see their cars get wrecked or damaged in any fashion. At least the indie and AA scene have something different and are keeping the arcade experience alive. During the 7th generation of consoles, we had plenty of arcade racers for a good while. During the latter half of the generation, and early generation 8, we got less and less as far as the big boy consoles go. Nintendo was picking up the slack, or Steam to get just fun arcade racers. It's true we can use more movie style car games that involve chasing. That period came and went during the sixth generation of consoles. You want something close to Ronin or Bullit, check out Driver San Francisco. It's one of the last few good games Ubisoft ever bothered to make.
I personally wouldn’t give a shit less about a lack of licensing if it meant you could actually do, like, fun and awesome things with and to the cars in the game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I personally wouldn’t give a shit less about a lack of licensing if it meant you could actually do, like, fun and awesome things with and to the cars in the game.
Same here, but these big AAA companies don't want to take risk and just constantly play it safe for a reason. Even Sony is guilty of this with their Gran Turismo franchise. If most of them don't want to do it, then that just means we go to better places. Not our fault they're too stupid short sighted and greedy to figure that out.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
asy money without much effort.
I dunno man, modeling and getting real sounds from real cars, gets really fucking expensive and I wouldn't call it easy or not much effort in any regard. Some of these games have insane detail to both cars and tracks

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I dunno man, modeling and getting real sounds from real cars, gets really fucking expensive and I wouldn't call it easy or not much effort in any regard. Some of these games have insane detail to both cars and tracks
Don't get me wrong, it does take talent effort. But the template has been done so often, is that all you're getting is an upgrade in graphics and details and not much else. Sure the track might be different every now and then, but for those type of racing games they just start blending in together. I'll give Drive Club credit for having a semi-realistic racer with some arcade style gameplay, but my interest in that did not last too long. DC and the Forza games have great weather effects, that look really good and work well with the driving. But we need more than realistic Sims. Otherwise we're we're already in the rut that is AAA industry when it comes to these racing games.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Don't get me wrong, it does take talent effort. But the template has been done so often, is that all you're getting is an upgrade in graphics and details and not much else. Sure the track might be different every now and then, but for those type of racing games they just start blending in together. I'll give Drive Club credit for having a semi-realistic racer with some arcade style gameplay, but my interest in last in that too long. DC and the forza games have great weather effects, that look really good and work well with the driving. But we need more than realistic Sims. Otherwise we're we're already in the red that is AAA industry when it comes to these racing games.
My best guess is that they feel that racing games are too niche to be worth investing in. Outside of someone like Microsoft with an established racing brand, only the indie or AA developers are willing to give it a go.

Then again Ubisoft did two of those Crew games which were good ideas that just didn't work out they way they should have.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then again Ubisoft did two of those Crew games which were good ideas that just didn't work out they way they should have.
The problem with The Crew games were that they just came off as too generic. Plus, from what I heard, the sequel had that stupid thing where you had to always be online. Even in single player. I could be wrong. I might have gotten that mixed up with another racing game, or they might have changed it later.

Project Cars I keep forgetting it exists. I know that's not Ubisoft and somebody else.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The problem with The Crew games were that they just came off as too generic. Plus, from what I heard, the sequel had that stupid thing where you had to always be online. Even in single player. I could be wrong. I might have gotten that mixed up with another racing game, or they might have changed it later.

Project Cars I keep forgetting it exists. I know that's not Ubisoft and somebody else.
Ironically Project Cars 3 came out a little while ago (I did an impressions on it on this forum) and it ironically was a much worse off game than PC1 or 2 because it took out sim mechanics to become much more of a arcade racer and the game suffered for it.

The first two games are great though.

Personally I think Forza is the king of both the arcade AND sim racer. Horizon 3 and 4 were awesome, and the normal Forza motorsports have been fairly consistent but I personally think Forza 3 was the best one.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
There is also professional money in this, when the devs at Gran Turismo can make racing sims into a career. It's obvious that Racing Sims become eSports for more monetization.

I am not too broken up about the loss of Arcade Racers though. They had a good run but just got beaten out when actual race car drivers use it as training sims

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am not too broken up about the loss of Arcade Racers though. They had a good run but just got beaten out when actual race car drivers use it as training sims
Who said anything about a loss? In the AAA space? Yes. In the indie and AA scene, they've found a new old home.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cruis'n Blast is awesome! I've done a couple courses in career mode and I love you can do several stunts on race tracks. You get money and experience buy cars and unlock upgrades respectively. I do disagree with having to get gold on all events to unlock harder difficulties. It's artificial padding. The game does have local and online multiplayer, but I still don't have Nintendo online, because I refuse to pay for it. Sad, but I might change my mind later. There are keys you can collect to unlock hidden rewards and crazier looking vehicles. Some of which are not even cars nor trucks even.

@Xprimentyl, you have to get this game whenever you get the chance. It's close as you're gonna get to a true Burnout. There's even a drift mechanic where upon successful, you get an extra boost. Though unlike the actual series, your nitro boost does not regenerate and has only 3 uses per course. You can buy nitro before the start of an event or race.