The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
My favorite aspect of Beastars is that it exists in a world that is almost indescribably fucked up top to bottom, but the show itself is about Dramatic Horny Teens Making Rash Decisions.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
My favorite aspect of Beastars is that it exists in a world that is almost indescribably fucked up top to bottom, but the show itself is about Dramatic Horny Teens Making Rash Decisions.
I'm gonna give the show major props for being an Anime set in high school and starring Horny Teens and I don't immediately roll my eyes, when normally I hear "Anime set it high school starring horny teens" and my immediate reaction is "Nope, don't care anymore".(It's also one of the reasons Harry Potter doesn't really do much for me because it's about teens in high school except MAGIC). It's the fact their universe is so different then ours and is being explored in such a way that makes me forget it's mostly about high school drama club.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm gonna give the show major props for being an Anime set in high school and starring Horny Teens and I don't immediately roll my eyes, when normally I hear "Anime set it high school starring horny teens" and my immediate reaction is "Nope, don't care anymore".(It's also one of the reasons Harry Potter doesn't really do much for me because it's about teens in high school except MAGIC). It's the fact their universe is so different then ours and is being explored in such a way that makes me forget it's mostly about high school drama club.
I got bored of Harry Potter by the time I started high school. Then again, I've always been very casual with the series.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That because Beastars actually shows sexually active teens, as opposed to most other anime that only wish to tease but never want to show its characters going all the way. It's that weird anime thing where it heavily sells itself on sex, but the characters must be abstinant at all times.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I think The Little Mermaid is growing on me as the best of the Disney Princess movies.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
To he fair, that's the basic plot outline for like 90% of all anime ever.
Ahh, but see this time it isn't just code words for "local teens surprisingly okay with walking around in underwear/naked while lecher sexually harasses them"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched some of that Star Wars Visions (just the first two episodes) and it was neat. Star Wars can actually be pretty sweet when it's not hovering around the corpse of the original trilogy.

Reactions: laggyteabag

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't know where else to put this so.....

God that was great. How does this have better voice acting than most dubs...

This is a big reason why I kinda cared about season 2 less. I was open to them exploring the fucked up world, but they erased pretty much all of the high school stuff from the show. They should have struck a better balance.

I watched some of that Star Wars Visions (just the first two episodes) and it was neat. Star Wars can actually be pretty sweet when it's not hovering around the corpse of the original trilogy.
Oh damn, it's out already? Neat, I'll go check them out.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Working my way through Card Captor Sakura.

Good, fun and cute stuff, but there some WTF elements.

In a good way, you have the plot of one episode being that the mascot character gets into a huff, eats an entire box of chocolate liqueurs, and wanders off in a drunken haze.

And then you have the bad.. like the romantic subplot about a ten year old crushing on her adult teacher, and him reciprocating, Sakura's mom and dad being student and teacher, and them marrying when she was 16, and said mom having a female cousin who has a HUGE crush on her...

Just an edge of 'ew, WTF?!' to all the cute wholesome stuff.

Really not helped by the previous two shows I watched ALSO having romantic subplots about teenage girls being really into middle aged dudes.
I've been meaning to watch this show for years. I've only seen the butchered American Cardcaptors, which I was very fond of as a child. I'm sure the original must be much better.

I think The Little Mermaid is growing on me as the best of the Disney Princess movies.
It has the best songs, by far.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've been meaning to watch this show for years. I've only seen the butchered American Cardcaptors, which I was very fond of as a child. I'm sure the original must be much better.

It has the best songs, by far.
Do Aladdin and Mulan count since both Jasmine and Mulan feature pretty heavy in the Princess lines? I ask because both of those make some pretty good arguements for themselves on the music front.

Holy shit Jodi Bensen can sing though, like fuck me sideways.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Do Aladdin and Mulan count since both Jasmine and Mulan feature pretty heavy in the Princess lines? I ask because both of those make some pretty good arguements for themselves on the music front.

Holy shit Jodi Bensen can sing though, like fuck me sideways.
I would count them, but I would still say that Little Mermaid has better songs. I'm sick of hearing A Whole New World, but I could listen to Part of Your World a thousand times.

Something shocking that I just read on Wikipedia:

The Little Mermaid was considered by some as "the film that brought Broadway into cartoons". Alan Menken wrote the Oscar-winning score, and collaborated with Howard Ashman on the songs. One of the film's most prominent songs, "Part of Your World," was nearly cut from the film when it seemingly tested poorly with children, who became rowdy during the scene. This caused Jeffrey Katzenberg to feel that the song needed to be cut, an idea that was resisted by Musker, Clements, and Keane. Both Musker and Clements cited the similar situation of the song "Over the Rainbow" nearly being cut from 1939's The Wizard of Oz when it was appealing to Katzenberg. Keane pushed for the song to remain until the film was in a more finalized state. During a second test screening, the scene, now colorized and further developed, tested well with a separate child audience, and the musical number was kept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(1989_film)#Music

Holy crap executives are idiots! They would have cut one of the best songs to ever feature in a Disney movie!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Star Wars (the films and shows, at least) is a setting that takes place over 100's of planets, across 3 generations, and yet everybody somehow seems to know everybody else on a first-name basis.

Its wild how you can pick pretty much any random Star Wars character, and link them to just about any other random Star Wars character, just through the relationships they have.

The galaxy far, far away, has started to feel awfully small, these past few years.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Finished of series 2 of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, which was a nice weekly trip to somewhere where everything is alright.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Star Wars (the films and shows, at least) is a setting that takes place over 100's of planets, across 3 generations, and yet everybody somehow seems to know everybody else on a first-name basis.

Its wild how you can pick pretty much any random Star Wars character, and link them to just about any other random Star Wars character, just through the relationships they have.

The galaxy far, far away, has started to feel awfully small, these past few years.
Also how everyone has to visit Tatoonie at least once. It's meant to be the ass end of the galaxy(and explicity stated to be as such a couple times) and yet it keeps showing up over and over. Even in KOTOR where it's 4000 earlier and they still make you go there because......it's in the OT.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Also how everyone has to visit Tatoonie at least once. It's meant to be the ass end of the galaxy(and explicity stated to be as such a couple times) and yet it keeps showing up over and over. Even in KOTOR where it's 4000 earlier and they still make you go there because......it's in the OT.
See, if I were the next evil badass in the Star Wars universe and I had an evil planet killing weapon, Tatoonine would be the first place I killed.
I mean, yes, ironically it would mean that I, too, visited this shitty backwater planet, but at least nobody going forward would have to

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Boruto is getting better, and better. Having read ahead with the Manga, I know what will happen will be sad due to naruto's short-term powerup, and the main character will die. But it has to happen since the older characters have to get a power-down for the new main character to surpass them.