Chris Pratt will voice Mario in a new super Mario bros movie

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Apparently Charles Martinet (the normal Mario and co. voice actor) will have multiple cameos in the film, so it does kind of raise the question as to why he isn't just voicing Mario?

But, I suppose the fact that I felt it necessary to describe who Charles Martinet is, is probably the reason why he isn't the headline act here. The fact of the matter is, this is a star-studded cast, and the original VO cast aren't. For the average Joe, knowing that Star Lord is in a movie is way more exciting than some relative nobody, especially when a multi-million dollar movie is on the line.

But, I just can't picture what a Chris Pratt Mario will sound like....

inb4 everybody is just American.
Hollywood obsession with big-name actors over talented voice actors for animated features infuriates me. Charles Martinet is a talented voice actor and it would be amazing to see him fully act Mario but no we need Chris Pratt to sell this movie that Stars one of the most well-known icons of videogame history.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Hollywood obsession with big-name actors over talented voice actors for animated features infuriates me. Charles Martinet is a talented voice actor and it would be amazing to see him fully act Mario but no we need Chris Pratt to sell this movie that Stars one of the most well-known icons of videogame history.
Well to be fair, Chris Pratt has voice acted a lead character in animated movies twice before. In The Lego Movie and The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part. He was good in those roles. But yeah, this reeks of stunt-casting to draw crowds more than them finding an actor that would fit well with the role, in particular given the other big names present in the cast.

Since @Gyrobot brought up the age of Martinet, I feel like linking to an article I ran across some time ago: apparently there is a sequel to claymation-film Chicken Run in the works, and they did not even ask the lead from the first movie Julia Sawalha to try for the new movie, instead going with someone new. When I read it I thought that "Well, the voice ages with the rest of the body; not even letting her try might be cruel but might be reflective of realities voice actors would pretend is not there." Then I read up a (little) bit more, gave the subject some thought, and realized that my previous thought was incorrect. To cut a story short: if your voice is the means by which you get a livelihood, as is the case with voice actors, you are bound to make sure that you can still use it even in old age.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well Sonic the Hedgehog's titular character was not voiced by a big name star. I didn't know who Ben Schwartz was before reading his Wikipedia page today, but I don't think it's a name that draws crowds. I find it a bit interesting that both him and Chris Pratt has had regular roles in Parks and Recreation.

On Pratt's casting: sounds bad. I've only seen his acting in The Lego Movie and The Lego Movie: The Second Part, but from descriptions of Guardians of the Galaxy's lead character and his character on Parks and Recreation I'd say his forte is portraying characters that would be at home as a shonen manga protagonist. I could see him voicing Monkey D. Luffy, Naruto or Son Goku, since he seems to be portraying lovable dumb-asses a lot. That however is not how I imagine Mario, I imagine Mario as a more mature person. And this is not getting into that Mario often speaks with an Italian accent, something I doubt will be present with Pratt in the role.
Ben Schwartz in P&R was far from a "regular" role in that he (Jean-Ralphio, a wannabe entrepreneur obsessed with success and pop culture, but with none of the business savvy to make his ventures even remotely viable) was not a central character. But he was a recurring character, and arguably one of the more enjoyable ones insofar as his pure insufferability made his antics a welcome distraction... in small doses.

As for Pratt, P&R is exactly why I can't take him seriously. His character was so rapidly Flanderized, you couldn't wait for him to get off screen after only a few episodes let alone several seasons in. I can't unsee him in that role, and have not been able to tolerate him much beyond it. Even his "serious" roles come off more as an idiot trying to play smart. Voice of Mario? I don't know what the producers are going for tonally; he might work, he might not. Neither would surprise me; I just don't respect him enough to care.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Nah, the Lego Movie gave us good foundation on how to turn timeless toy/entertainment franchises to a fun romp and having the two guys from the Lego Movie shows they know how to market to an audience because Pratt aside from his roles in Parks and Recreation also the roles of franchises with a huge children base who think he is cool. And having someone from IASIP is good media.play on wanting Danny Devito voicing someone in a Nintendo franchise

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Nah, the Lego Movie gave us good foundation on how to turn timeless toy/entertainment franchises to a fun romp and having the two guys from the Lego Movie shows they know how to market to an audience because Pratt aside from his roles in Parks and Recreation also the roles of franchises with a huge children base who think he is cool. And having someone from IASIP is good media.play on wanting Danny Devito voicing someone in a Nintendo franchise
Yeh but
*Points to the Lego Movie Part 2*
That also exists and shows what happens when people get too self indulgent and hyped up on their own success from the previous one that they try to do it again but without the 3rd guy they can't make it work.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I don't get this. Not that I think Chris Pratt is a poor casting choice, no idea, or if he's not a good actor, I think he is.
Its Mario. He knows 5 words. "Its a me, Mario! Hello!" He doesn't talk. He's a silent character. Same with all of them. Bowser, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Toad! They're all but silent characters. Its like casting Chris Evans to voice Gordon Freeman, or RDJ to voice Harpo Marx.

Also Mario already has a voice actor. They all do, for their single-sentence lexicon. If the character of Mario doesn't talk, and when they do say "Mario!" you already have a voice actor that everyone associates with the character, why shell out so much money for top talent?!
Like casting anyone as the voice of Mario just seems like a poor use of money.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I don't get this. Not that I think Chris Pratt is a poor casting choice, no idea, or if he's not a good actor, I think he is.
Its Mario. He knows 5 words. "Its a me, Mario! Hello!" He doesn't talk.
EXCUSE ME?

"Game over."

"Let's go!"

"So long, King Bowser!"

"Ah, guess I go fishing."

"Whoawwwww!"

Mario's a fully fledged out, very verbose character, and I won't have you slandering him. :p

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Its Mario. He knows 5 words. "Its a me, Mario! Hello!"
Hence my ire at the idea of anyone being butt-hurt at his "actual" voice actor being cast in a cursory role in lieu of a well-known Hollywood celebrity all but guaranteed to bring in a couple million on name recognition alone. Hollywood has done much worse; if anyone drops their popcorn and leaves the theater because Mario isn't "Mario," fuck off. This is skimming the top of of the depths of shit Hollywood has done to iconic IPs in the past.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
They should've gotten at least Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, and Danny DeVito.
I would happily pay double to see Danny DeVito as a main character in this movie. Could even make it a Goodfellas reimagining through the world of Mario! Can almost imagine Wario doing Pesci's "you think I'm funny" bit and shooting an unfortunate birdo in the foot. 🤌👌

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of all the people to get... why Crisp Rat? (I wondered the same thing about Bob Hoskins, although I have to admit that for a Brit, he did a pretty good Bronx accent.)
At least Bob Hoskins had the look for a "realistic"/live-action Mario. I know voice is and can be a different caliber, but there are plenty of better options. Nothing against Pratt, but I feel we're getting the Ryan Reynolds effect where they're just throwing him out there, everywhere.