They are trying to cancel Dave Chappell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ah man, you've got to look up some Jim Davidson, you would love his stuff.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The amount of coverage over Chappell maybe getting cancelled shows he's very obviously not getting cancelled. Most comedians, especially the rich and famous ones like Chappell, are shielded from any criticism by the blanket of 'comedy is supposed to offend' and that if you get mad at it you just didn't get the joke. This convenience having already worked to absolve Chappell from siding with TERFs.

None of this is going to cause even the slightest problem for Chappell, but you can bet your ass people within the trans community are going to get a fuckton of (more) hate for daring to speak out against him.
So to be clear, Film that literally contains material likely to attract Pedos and really from what I've heard was very close if not over the line of actually going too far with child actors = No it's freedom of expression
Yeah, because there was zero outcry over that whole thing, wasn't there? Yep, nobody spoke up about that. Absolutely nobody, nope. It totally didn't make millions of people online collectively go 'What the fuck was Netflix thinking with this!?'

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The amount of coverage over Chappell maybe getting cancelled shows he's very obviously not getting cancelled. Most comedians, especially the rich and famous ones like Chappell, are shielded from any criticism by the blanket of 'comedy is supposed to offend' and that if you get mad at it you just didn't get the joke. This convenience having already worked to absolve Chappell from siding with TERFs.
Coverage isn't work. Mel Gibson got a lot of coverage after his crazy rant in the past, and that worked out so well for his career right?

None of this is going to cause even the slightest problem for Chappell, but you can bet yout ass people within the trans community are going to get a fuckton of (more) hate for daring to speak out against him.
Well yes because now they look petty and vindictive and wanting special treatment and extremely easy to offend and militant so a risk for companies for getting mad about a company special they could not have bothered watching and happily gone on with their lives or happily ignore. It's more dumb than former Millionaire and Galmour model Katie Price getting mad at Frankie Boyle for his jokes because at least she could use the claim people were sending her his jokes over in videos over social media because she's well known and trolls gonna troll. Dave Chappelle's stuff could easily have been ignored by most people.

Yeah, because there was zero outcry over that whole thing, wasn't there? Yep, nobody spoke up about that. Absolutely nobody, nope. It totally didn't make millions of people online collectively go 'What the fuck was Netflix thinking with this!?'
There was but it was being hand waved away and the same people were going "Free Speech" "Just don't watch it" "Creative freedom means it should exist". Who now seem to not believe the same for Chappelle......

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Dave Chappell just got paid a fucking ton to make a Netflix special with jokes that both Netflix and Chappell knew would incite these sorts of responses.

How the hell does anyone think this qualifies as "cancelling"?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Dave Chappell just got paid a fucking ton to make a Netflix special with jokes that both Netflix and Chappell knew would incite these sorts of responses.

How the hell does anyone think this qualifies as "cancelling"?
Pretty sure trying to pull his special from it and make sure Netflix never works with him again (and presumably any other company) counts as trying to cancel him.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well yes because now they look petty and vindictive and wanting special treatment and extremely easy to offend and militant so a risk for companies for getting mad about a company special they could not have bothered watching and happily gone on with their lives or happily ignore.
This says a lot about you, and I'm not even one bit surprised.

There was but it was being hand waved away and the same people were going "Free Speech" "Just don't watch it" "Creative freedom means it should exist". Who now seem to not believe the same for Chappelle......
goalpost.jpeg

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I would post the video fro Penn and Teller's bullshit about how you have the right to be offended you don't have the right to never be offended. But in a somewhat ironic twist it's been copyright claimed off the internet.

Sorry but even I draw the line somewhere and for me I draw the line at providing material that very much is of a sexual nature (due to the nature of the story) for child predators to get off to.
Are you saying you wouldn't draw that line?

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I honestly think that people attacking Dave Chappelle must be stupid. You have to be stupid to not understand what he was saying because he was pretty fuckin' clear about it and explained it in a way that even a 5 year old would understand it. Also, aside from being stupid, some of these people are just fuckin' malicious and hellbent on attacking anyone who says anything that they don't like. And what they don't like in this case isn't the jokes. It is the fact that Dave exposed them as being likely partially responsible for Daphne's suicide. So fuck 'em and the high horse they rode in on.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sorry but even I draw the line somewhere and for me I draw the line at providing material that very much is of a sexual nature (due to the nature of the story) for child predators to get off to.
Are you saying you wouldn't draw that line?
*sigh*...Yeah, that's what that was in reference to. Nice job.

Guess you did mange to surprise me afterall.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

View attachment 4696
All he ever does.

All I wanna do is zoom zoom zoom.

As for Chapelle, I stopped caring for his stand up years ago. It's the same shit and problems you can see in South Park and its many horrible clones and imitators. Be offensive towards everyone and act like jack ass or snob, when you get called out on or to something truly distasteful. I will say that at least Matt and Trey admitted there many fuck ups for certain seasons, episodes, or how they handled things. The same can't be said for their imitators, and Family Guy writing staff in later seasons (for the most part on FG's part).

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
All he ever does.
Oh look Statler and Waldorf are back to make comments from the side lines again.

We going to go round this cycle a 3rd time or are you content to do what you've said multiple times and not akcnowledge me at all? Because this very much is once again acknowledging me lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh look Statler and Waldorf are back to make comments from the side lines again.

We going to go round this cycle a 3rd time or are you content to do what you've said multiple times and not akcnowledge me at all? Because this very much is once again acknowledging me lol.
You're the one that chose to engage me this time. I was having a conversation with someone else. Not my fault the truth hurts. You can have fun being miserable all you want, I'll be somewhere else not caring. Toodles.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You're the one that chose to engage me this time. I was having a conversation with someone else. Not my fault the truth hurts. You can have fun being miserable all you want, I'll be somewhere else not caring. Toodles.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise that by non engagement you meant "Go round telling everyone else strawmen of the persons position and basically trash talking them again and again". You were having a conversation about MY POSITIONS what is this some high school mean girls nonsense where you're expecting me to pretend you're not saying stuff openly?

As far as truth, again I'm sorry but I didn't realise you were omnipotent to the level of being able to know peoples own actions and reasoning better than them and state with such absolute certainty exactly the "truth" about their positions and what they believe and it's totally NOT a sign of a serious level of illusory superiority blatantly on show on your part. As you are so all powerful what will next weeks lottery numbers be again?

Finally it's funny because apparently you're miserable enough to have to throw in your commentary from the sideline. What is it Brawlman are you just that devoid of attention at present you're just shit talking in the hope I see it an answer?

As for not caring, well seems you care enough to like EVERY single post trying to argue against anything I've said for a while on a number of threads while also caring enough to specifically talk about things I've said to make up nonsense about my positions. That's some new meaning of not caring right there

But hey you'll either pull the "Oh stop playing the victim" card here or you'll pull the "I aint reading that load of shit I know better than you" card again because that's how predictable this is getting

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As far as truth, again I'm sorry but I didn't realise you were omnipotent to the level of being able to know peoples own actions and reasoning better than them and state with such absolute certainty exactly the "truth" about their positions and what they believe and it's totally NOT a sign of a serious level of illusory superiority blatantly on show on your part. As you are so all powerful what will next weeks lottery numbers be again?
I'm human like everyone else, I don't claim omnipotence. That's just you projecting your black and white and shallow views.

As for not caring, well seems you care enough to like EVERY single post trying to argue against anything I've said for a while on a number of threads while also caring enough to specifically talk about things I've said to make up nonsense about my positions. That's some new meaning of not caring right there
That's because I care about and resrespect the people arguing against you. They either actually back up their claims, point out your bull crap arguments, and keep it real without it going wrong. Deal with it. I'm moving on now. I suggest you do the same. Or don't. It's your choice.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Getting back on track.

Here's some shady crap Netflix is involved in.

Well it looks like they changed their mind.

And if that's the case, why did you bother even firing her in the first place Netflix?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And if that's the case, why did you bother even firing her in the first place Netflix?
Maybe testing the waters to see if they could get away with it without raising too much of a media stink.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe testing the waters to see if they could get away with it without raising too much of a media stink.
Considering, a good amount of their trans employees walked out of the Netflix office. That backfired immensely. This will bite them in the butt at some point, which it already has to a degree.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The fact you're annoyed that an official in a position of power faced consequences for racist sexist behavior says a lot about what sort of person you are. None of it good.
I like how when people disagree there are several people on this forum who attack the character of the person disagreeing.

Im not generally opposed to people being held accountable for shitty actions. But i am opposed to the methods in which information about those actions comes to light.

Especially when the original reasoning for the out rage is basically poor word choices.

If the thing discovered years and years later was Cosby, then yeah hang that fucker from the gallows.

I just think there should be a proportional response based on timeline. In Grudens case the link that was posted above is literally the only reference to the topless cheerleaders thing i can find. I tried a bunch of articles from ESPN, NYtimes, NYpost, CBS SPORTS, ABC, and nobody is mentioning anything but some bad language.

Either nobody cares about the poor cheerleaders, or they are so worked up over some words that titty pictures dont matter.

Considering, a good amount of their trans employees walked out of the Netflix office. That backfired immensely. This will bite them in the butt at some point, which it already has to a degree.
So not only did this person openly talk shit about their employeer based entirely on simply not liking a piece of entertainment the site has, but they broke into a board meeting not even ment for them, and continued to put a stick up about some fucking comedy skit.

In a normal workplace that would get you fired 100%. And i bet the only reason they let her come back is simply to minimize the bad PR.

This is over a couple of jokes Dave tells after showcasing his support and friendship of transpeople.

It is ironically bigoted in a way. A comedy special with 100 jokes in it, 99 of which are perfectly fine, and yet they want the whole fucking thing deleted because of 1 of them?

Also if this person is so senstive to offensive material, why didnt they flip out over Cuties? Oh wait i think we all already know the answer to that dont we. Hmm.....

Reactions: Specter Von Baren
Status
Not open for further replies.