Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
My take on the subject: the slap/smack was too much. Cussing out Chris Rock and telling him "Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth"? Maybe not the right time and place, but if someone were making fun of my wife's/significant other's health condition, I can't say 100% I wouldn't have a similar reaction.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My take on the subject: the slap/smack was too much. Cussing out Chris Rock and telling him "Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth"? Maybe not the right time and place, but if someone were making fun of my wife's/significant other's health condition, I can't say 100% I wouldn't have a similar reaction.
To me it's the health condition. Making fun of Lebron's hair, low hanging fruit but you're basically just calling him old. I don't know what Smith's wife's condition is, but if it is causing her baldness, making fun of that is just a plain old dick move.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
To me it's the health condition. Making fun of Lebron's hair, low hanging fruit but you're basically just calling him old. I don't know what Smith's wife's condition is, but if it is causing her baldness, making fun of that is just a plain old dick move.
She has alopecia, a health condition where she is literally incapable of growing hair.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
She has alopecia, a health condition where she is literally incapable of growing hair.
Huh, I thought alopecia was more of a symptom of sorts, not a condition in of itself. I have two sisters who went through alopecia, one caused by extreme stress and the other by depression. Frankly if someone made fun of them, especially on a internationally televised event, that's not something I would just shrug off.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For reference-

Smith no doubt let his emotions get the best of him in a very public setting, but even still he’ll get the benefit of the doubt here. Chris was being Chris, but odds are *insert Larry David voice “prettaaayyyy” X 5* good he won’t be hosting next year despite being “attacked”. If anything, that might garner him an ounce of sympathy he wouldn’t have had it Smith showed restraint and waited til his speech to call him out on it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Can't help but think the entire event was possibly a marketing ploy pre planned. The oscar have been losing viewership every year, they might just be trying to create a fake controversy to drive more attention to themselves. Wasn't there some similar fake thing with Justin Timberlake removing some singer bra at some event that was also pre planned controversy?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Can't help but think the entire event was possibly a marketing ploy pre planned. The oscar have been losing viewership every year, they might just be trying to create a fake controversy to drive more attention to themselves. Wasn't there some similar fake thing with Justin Timberlake removing some singer bra at some event that was also pre planned controversy?
1. There is no way Will Smith would sacrifice his carefully mapped reputation to boost the Academy's ratings.
2. There is no way Jada Smith would lend herself to be humiliated like that to boost the Academy's ratings.
3. Nothing about Chris Rock's comedy suggests he thinks taking a punch over a dumb joke is funnier than telling a dumb joke.
4. The Academy would never in a million years sign on a sketch laced with violence and super explicit profanity (that they wouldn't even mute around the world).

The only way this is 'fake' is if Will said yes to the gag and then either planned or suddenly decided to play it for real. Except I still don't believe he'd go for it in the first place. What's so funny about making a joke about his wife's "medical condition" and then smacking the emcee in what looks like unhinged rage?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean am I the only one who realized the slap was staged? What, Will Smith just so happened to be sitting near the stage, just so happen there were no security, just so happen to have cameras already trained on other black actors to get their black reactions to the black event?
Come on people. These are two professional actors, who specialize in getting you to believe what they're doing in real, and the Academy is desperate to get views, tweets and reactions for an Oscars that had less than half of last years all time low viewership.

If you believe that was real, you should see that one time Will Smith actually fought aliens! Or that one time Chris Rock actually fell from Heaven and was okay! These two men must be super humans.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I mean am I the only one who realized the slap was staged? What, Will Smith just so happened to be sitting near the stage, just so happen there were no security, just so happen to have cameras already trained on other black actors to get their black reactions to the black event?
Come on people. These are two professional actors, who specialize in getting you to believe what they're doing in real, and the Academy is desperate to get views, tweets and reactions for an Oscars that had less than half of last years all time low viewership.

If you believe that was real, you should see that one time Will Smith actually fought aliens! Or that one time Chris Rock actually fell from Heaven and was okay! These two men must be super humans.
I can meet you half way. I’d believe some twat thought it would be funny to poke fun at Jade’s hair. I’d believe they told Chris Rock - who’s told an edgy joke or two in his day - to give her a bit of a roast and I’d believe Chris Rock would agree to it.

I’d also believe that Smith, as the meme says, “He woke up that day and chose violence” once he saw his wife didn’t think it was funny and in the heat of the moment got up and tried to slap the taste out of Chris Rock’s mouth.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I can meet you half way. I’d believe some twat thought it would be funny to poke fun at Jade’s hair. I’d believe they told Chris Rock - who’s told an edgy joke or two in his day - to give her a bit of a roast and I’d believe Chris Rock would agree to it.

I’d also believe that Smith, as the meme says, “He woke up that day and chose violence” once he saw his wife didn’t think it was funny and in the heat of the moment got up and tried to slap the taste out of Chris Rock’s mouth.
And also the producers told Jada to make sure her stylist doesn't put her in an outfit with a wig. And that they were going to have a camera pre-trained on her for several minutes leading up to Chris Rock's "spontaneous" joke about her hair. And that she needs to look over at her laughing husband and give him a dirty look. Where he changes instantly for laughing to murderous rage, almost like an actor taking on another role.
And make sure Chris pauses in his act long enough for Will Smith to reach the stage and slap him, so everyone in the audience knows its about the GI Jane remark.
And even better, we'll have deleted scenes of Chris and Will yelling at one another, and then leak that so it seems even more real.
Oh! Oh! We should have someone fake call the LAPD, but then refuse to press charges, because calling the police but sorting the situation out ourselves isn't a crime, but filing a false police report is.
And we're going to have cameras on key other black actors to react to, to let the white audience know this is serious, black people might start a gang war at the Oscars.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
And also the producers told Jada to make sure her stylist doesn't put her in an outfit with a wig. And that they were going to have a camera pre-trained on her for several minutes leading up to Chris Rock's "spontaneous" joke about her hair. And that she needs to look over at her laughing husband and give him a dirty look. Where he changes instantly for laughing to murderous rage, almost like an actor taking on another role.
And make sure Chris pauses in his act long enough for Will Smith to reach the stage and slap him, so everyone in the audience knows its about the GI Jane remark.
And even better, we'll have deleted scenes of Chris and Will yelling at one another, and then leak that so it seems even more real.
Oh! Oh! We should have someone fake call the LAPD, but then refuse to press charges, because calling the police but sorting the situation out ourselves isn't a crime, but filing a false police report is.
And we're going to have cameras on key other black actors to react to, to let the white audience know this is serious, black people might start a gang war at the Oscars.
There's like 15 seconds from Chris Rock making the joke to getting slapped. It's not really a big pause.

And what motive would they possibly have to fake it? Why would two hugely successful people damage their reputations for some stupid angle to prop up a dull awards ceremony?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
There's like 15 seconds from Chris Rock making the joke to getting slapped. It's not really a big pause.

And what motive would they possibly have to fake it? Why would two hugely successful people damage their reputations for some stupid angle to prop up a dull awards ceremony?
They wouldn't. Dude just has a bad take.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Its not just an awards ceremony. Its THE awards ceremony. The single most important one in Hollywood, both for actors, and for investing in films. It used to be movies that won academy awards saw huge spikes in sales. And actors, directors, crew, had careers made on Oscars because of how important they were to the general public. People used to have watch parties, and hold contests to see who wins want. Producing a movie that won an Oscar was also a massive bonus payout for producers, because of how prestigious the awards were.
This years Oscars ceremony had less than half of last year's record low viewership. What would the headlines have been if Will and Chris didn't have their little skit? "Oscars hits all-time low" "Hollywood celebrates itself: No one else does" "Why are the Oscars still around?" "Oscars: The last holdover of the Golden Years of Hollywood". It would have been nothing but disaster, financially, for a lot of studio executives and producers.
Instead there's a flurry of tweets and articles about how Will Smith assaults Chris Rock, boy howdy those Oscars are still worth watching!
Its all fake. A publicity stunt. Actors fake feuds with other actors to get media attention, because in Hollywood all publicity is good publicity. And it worked. People legitimately believe it was real, and now think the Oscars are some sort of reality TV show and will tune in next year just in case Halley Berry gets into a mud-wrestling fight with Sandra Bullock.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Upload - Season 2 - still 7/10

Still a solid show. It breaks the status quo of the 1st season for better and worse. The season feels cut short I'm guessing from covid as it's less episodes and also ends in the middle of a very very major plot point. The last episode does heavily give away exactly how like every detail is going to play out though at the start of the 3rd season.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Well, Hollywood’s not exactly off the beaten track. Go hard.
Eh, you know, taking an overseas flight just for a chance to give James Woods a black eye is a bit outside of my budget. Now, driving over to Switzerland to take a swing at Polanski, that would probably be slightly more feasible, but with fuel prices being what they are right now, I'm still not sure if it's worth it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Eh, you know, taking an overseas flight just for a chance to give James Woods a black eye is a bit outside of my budget. Now, driving over to Switzerland to take a swing at Polanski, that would probably be slightly more feasible, but with fuel prices being what they are right now, I'm still not sure if it's worth it.
A fair and compelling argument.